Under Construction... sharkattack's Avatar
    sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Confused more than ever. Care to help?

Hi guys,

I have a confession to make. I've fallen into the program-hop-itis syndrome and am having a hard time getting out. A little background on me: 44 years old, male, 6'2"/190#, BF unknown, but roughly about 18% according to my Tanita scale.

For a few weeks I was doing the New Rules of Lifting program and was enjoying it. However, I recently strained my shoulder and it put me on the sidelines for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it was the overhead pressing, my zest for jumping into the program and going at it with full intensity or my minimal warmups that did me in. While letting my shoulder recover (it feels great now) I began looking at other more traditional bodybuilding type programs and it got me wondering.

While I like the concept of NROL, I missed the workouts that I used to do, which were more bodypart splits. Since the NROL programs are more total body, I never got the feeling of working a particular muscle very hard. Sure, after squats my legs were sore, but that was about it. I never really got the feeling that my other parts were worked really hard. I know it may be just mental, but nonetheless, I started looking at other programs.

As far as recovery goes, I used to use the following split since it fit well into my schedule:
    Back/Chest
    Legs/Deadlifts
    off
    Delts/Arms
    off
    Repeat

Obviously this is different from the NROL type programs, but I seemed to enjoy it more. I looked forward to going to the gym more when I did traditional bodybuilding type programs as opposed to the functional type of programs that are in NROL and Built For Show by Nate Green (BFS). One one hand I'll read information that says it's best to hit each part 2-3X/week via a full body routine. On the other hand there are the guys who recommend hitting each part 1x/week. My routine above seems to strike a balance between the two, hitting each part every 5 days.

My time in the gym is limited, and I want to get the most return on my investment, like anyone. I don't want to spin my wheels and I definitely don't want to injure myself again. If you have any thoughts, opinoins, suggestions as where to go to get some solid scientific based reaserch on muscle recovery, I'm all ears. I really want to learn what works, what doesn't (soI can avoid it) and what is questionable.

Basically, I'm suffering from information overload and am looking for the cure.

Any ideas or help you can pass along?

Thanks in advance.
    S.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not sure what NROL is exactly but I've recently switched to more of a full body, squat centric progam. I was worried about over doing it that way but so far I'm liking it. I feel like I'm working my body instead of a muscle.

I don't think most of us get anywhere near the point of over-training as long as there is rest and good nutrition.

I think the most important part is you enjoy your program.

jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjrep is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Did your zest cause you injury? Sounds like your "zest" is causing you to not do a proper warmup. For me... I try to avoid exercises that may cause to much stress on a joint, especially shoulders. Shoulder press with dumbbells to the side of your head rather than a barbell in front or behind. No upright rows ever. As far as frequency..one body part a week does not literally mean once a week. I f your not directly targeting a specific muscle does not mean it's not being used when your targeting other muscles. Ex. rows target the lats but also hit the rear deltS AND biceps, squats primary target is quads and gluts..but also work hamstrings, adducters, spinal erectors and abs.That's what some guy's refer to as "full body workouts" because they hit the same muscle several times a week. Not in the same sense as a traditional full body workout. As for me I terget a specific body part twice per week...My understanding is the once a week method works well and is better suited for the seasoned lifter at least 3 years into it. If it's once a week those workouts must be INTENSE. one more thing about full body workouts, they are really centerd around the big 3 compound exercises...bench press, squats and dead lifts.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. If you are doing a routine and it feels good and right to you, and you are making gains and seeing results that meet your goals, then that is what you should be doing.

There will be plenty of time once you meet your goals to begin to set new ones that will cause you to adapt your workouts. But for now, do what you feel good about, as long as it is working.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4