Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

home gym vs actual gym

I was wondering if it would be worth it to set up my own home gym rather than going to my actual gym. I currently already have a membership so i want to know if it would be worth it to switch. If i bought equipment for a home gym i would most likely buy a power rack along with a bench, bar and weight plates. School is starting soon for me so it'll be difficult to find the time to go to the gym so i thought it would be more convenient if i could just go to my basement to workout. Any opinions?

ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000) ericj2225 is just really nice. (+1000)
    is there a gym at your school? most high schools (even mine of 600 kids) had a weight room that was free and anyone could use before/after school.

ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ktron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ericj2225 View Post
    is there a gym at your school? most high schools (even mine of 600 kids) had a weight room that was free and anyone could use before/after school.
    yeah we have a weight room but it's not too big and it's normally pretty crowded. Also sometimes sports teams like football use them to lift.

TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ktron View Post
    I was wondering if it would be worth it to set up my own home gym rather than going to my actual gym. I currently already have a membership so i want to know if it would be worth it to switch. If i bought equipment for a home gym i would most likely buy a power rack along with a bench, bar and weight plates. School is starting soon for me so it'll be difficult to find the time to go to the gym so i thought it would be more convenient if i could just go to my basement to workout. Any opinions?
    If you have the space and the budget to pick up the equipment then why not? Look on craigslist for some good deals and be patient. It is great to have a home setup and I find myself using mine all the time even when I work at a gym and have that free membership. You'll be suprised with how convenient is it to always be able to workout on your own time. Find the right deals like I've been fortunate enough to and you can do it for very little expense wise. Best of luck
    []---[] Equipment Crew #78 []---[]

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #24 []---[]

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Home gym is the way to go.

My home gym is an "actual" gym with commercial equipment, and some home-quality equipment that's sturdy. If you've got the space, start setting it up. You won't be disappointed. It's your gym, you can lift whenever you want. You don't have to worry about "ego" lifting, you can train in good form with weights that you can handle in safety. You won't have to worry about busy times or teams taking up the equipment you want to use.

The only down side to a home gym, as far as I can tell, is that you'll constantly be improving the gym by buying equipment and more weight. If you shop wisely -- and I highly recommend craigslist -- you'll have a gym you can be proud of for real cheap.

I know some people might say that it's hard to get motivated using a home gym. I'd disagree. Lifting is pretty much a sport that requires self motivation. Either you've got it, or you haven't.

You're smart to start off with a power rack, an olympic set and some kind of a bench that you can use in the rack. Get started shopping.

You've got the best of both worlds right now. You can use the gym at school or the place where you've got a membership, all the while setting up a home gym as you take your time finding just the right components at the right price. Good luck!

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agreed home gym can be awesome. Its not always possible to get a spot unless you have someone to workout with. Thats my biggest negative since I normally do tons of forced reps over the years. However, just becasue you have a home gym doesn't mean you can't have a commercial gym membership either. Also, I'm still kinda new to my area, so maybe I'll find more workout partners in the future. The biggest appeal to me is that I was able to put all the pieces I like in my home gym. All of those pieces of equipment that you like over the years but are scattered about the country in different gyms, but now all in one home gym. Its just a dream come true.

In general, there really is no disadvantage, especially given the fact you can still have access to a commercial gym as well. Personally, I am going to a cross-fit place and may join another place for their pool ...

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by HealthNutMD View Post
    Agreed home gym can be awesome. Its not always possible to get a spot unless you have someone to workout with. Thats my biggest negative since I normally do tons of forced reps over the years. However, just becasue you have a home gym doesn't mean you can't have a commercial gym membership either. Also, I'm still kinda new to my area, so maybe I'll find more workout partners in the future. The biggest appeal to me is that I was able to put all the pieces I like in my home gym. All of those pieces of equipment that you like over the years but are scattered about the country in different gyms, but now all in one home gym. Its just a dream come true.

In general, there really is no disadvantage, especially given the fact you can still have access to a commercial gym as well. Personally, I am going to a cross-fit place and may join another place for their pool ...
    The best one is the one you are more likely to use.

I prefer a home gym x1000. I don't want to have to drive, wait, or rely on other people to do my workouts. Right now I just have the basics: rack, FID bench, barbell and weights, dumbbells, home made dip bars and a free-spotter. I don't need anyone to spot me.

All I do is set my rack's safety bars where they need to be and start squatting and use the free spotter to suspend the weights when I am done. When it is time to bench I squat the weights into position and move the bench into place. When it is time to do rows or deadlifts I bench the barbell down low into position and move the bench. From there I can deadlift it near the ground where I can change weights and prepare to start.

You'll have to set-up your home gym so it works for you. Either rely on your buddy to spot you, the racks safety bars or some other safety device. There is a lot of freedom with a home gym IMO but some people like to be at the gym and around other people so it is really up to you.

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    i've worked out for 20+ years and never got any heavier than about 175 at a gym....i set up a home gym and now i'm 210. i will likely never go back to a gym unless it is a social workout with friends.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

I'm thinking of getting a home gym, but the thing is if I get one I would probably end up canceling my gym membership. So it's one or the other. Does this look like a good deal for a start to my home gym? I would probably use this equipment for a while so I want to make sure I make the right purchase.
    *philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/2540915542.html

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm thinking of getting a home gym, but the thing is if I get one I would probably end up canceling my gym membership. So it's one or the other. Does this look like a good deal for a start to my home gym? I would probably use this equipment for a while so I want to make sure I make the right purchase.
    Keep looking. The rack in the photo doesn't appear to have any safeties for squats or bench press.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Keep looking. The rack in the photo doesn't appear to have any safeties for squats or bench press.
    I emailed the guy and he said he has thesafeties, they are just not in the picture. I would make sure they have the safeties before I buy it. If he actually has them would it be a good deal? or should i keep looking

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I emailed the guy and he said he has thesafeties, they are just not in the picture. I would make sure they have the safeties before I buy it. If he actually has them would it be a good deal? or should i keep looking
    If it has safeties, it's worth considering. You do, however, need to be aware of the limitations of that type of rack. You will have no protection if you were to fall backward while squatting. The safeties will, however, be invaluable if you can't get back up out of the hole. Safeties on that type of rack can be set to protect your neck / upper chest for the bench press.

With all that in mind, the $300 asking price is a good deal for the rack, bench, and 600lbs of weight. Actually, it's a good deal for the weight all by itself.

max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have a feeling that philadephia is the place where gym equipments are the cheapest in the country. I've run into LOTS of good deals people are offering in PA, especially this case: 600lbs + squat rack + bench for $300. good lord. Also Christian fitness factory is also in PA, their products are very satisfying and reasonably priced

edit: will move to PA in the near future (not srs)

Registered User nogoodnameslef4's Avatar
    nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    home gym for me is the best option. i find gains are better in a home gym. do to a few reasons. you have one one to impress so you are less worried about how much weight you are using and can truly work on form. playing songs that pump you up as loud as you want can actually help get a few more reps out. and its easier to find time to work out the gym is only seconds away. also a great home gym does not really cost all that much in the long run. 1500 bucks can set you up with a pretty sweet set up . and if you use it ten years and sell it you can get half your money back when you sell it. so it really only costs 750 bucks for a ten year gym pass thats custom fitted to your needs. alot of people send that in fast food in a year.

Originally Posted by max1122 View Post
    i have a feeling that philadephia is the place where gym equipments are the cheapest in the country. I've run into LOTS of good deals people are offering in PA, especially this case: 600lbs + squat rack + bench for $300. good lord. Also Christian fitness factory is also in PA, their products are very satisfying and reasonably priced.

edit: will move to PA in the near future (not srs)
    I actually contacted the seller and he said it was only about 520lbs of weight but i get 2 olympic sized bars with it. Also even though it is a good deal im a little hesitant as it's not a full rack so i'd have to be very careful to stay above the safety arms when i squat
    Originally Posted by nogoodnameslef4 View Post
    home gym for me is the best option. i find gains are better in a home gym. do to a few reasons. you have one one to impress so you are less worried about how much weight you are using and can truly work on form. playing songs that pump you up as loud as you want can actually help get a few more reps out. and its easier to find time to work out the gym is only seconds away. also a great home gym does not really cost all that much in the long run. 1500 bucks can set you up with a pretty sweet set up . and if you use it ten years and sell it you can get half your money back when you sell it. so it really only costs 750 bucks for a ten year gym pass thats custom fitted to your needs. alot of people send that in fast food in a year.
    Yeah the thing is i would be leaving for college in 2 years so i would only get about 2 years of use out of whatever equipment i buy. I was looking for something cheap that would allow me to get good strength and size gains for 2 years. I don't want to be investing into something expensive until i'm out of college

blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackdove212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I've been working out at home for a long time already. There's probably a thousand and one reasons, but here's my top ten reasons for working out at home.

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    did you set one up? blackdove and keith are right. alot of people on here have home gyms that would put 'actual' gyms to shame . nothing like working out at home.

Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jayos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would say keep a few core items at home and then just use the gym for the rest...thats what I do.
    BELIEVE YOU CAN ACHIEVE AND YOU WILL; "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he." (Proverbs 23:7)

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you don't have time, use a home gym. I just prefer regular gyms because you don't have to worry about repairing/cleaning the equipment. It just comes down to preference. You will need a workout buddy for a home gym when you do squats, bench press, leg press, military press, etc. You can't just say, "Hey can you give me a spot?"
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    You will need a workout buddy for a home gym when you do squats, bench press, leg press, military press, etc. You can't just say, "Hey can you give me a spot?"
    Nothing wrong with having a workout buddy, but if you want to train alone, a power rack will do all of the spotting for you.

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Nothing wrong with having a workout buddy, but if you want to train alone, a power rack will do all of the spotting for you.
    Yup. That's the reason I liked using the smith at my old gym. Sure, it's not good for squatting, but it's great for incline bench.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

[300 Spartan Royal Guard] eeokin's Avatar
    eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000) eeokin is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like both, can't decide

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    turn your home gym into membership?

Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Balan7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read somewhere that it's recommended that if working out alone, leave the collars off your barbell. I assume that way if you get stuck (for example when working to failure doing bench presses), you can tilt to the side and the plates will slide off.

I dread to think of any twisting damage it might do to you with all the weight then only on one end of the bar though (not to mention floor & equipment damage from being dropped...).

My collars are staying on, but one thing I did do was pick up an extra weight bench leg pad (the round foam ones about 4 x 8 inches with a 1 inch hole through the middle) and stuck it in the centre of my barbell. That way if I do get stuck, it's a lot less painfull than having just the bar sitting on your chest because the load is spread.This means I can wait a few seconds until I've got the energy back to get the bar back up to the mounts, or if really stuck, roll it down to my hips & get out from under it.

I'm using the same bar for deadlifts, upright rows, bent over rows, shrugs, etc & find that it doesn't really get in the way at all, so I just leave it on there.

Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italianoman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've got the same problem...I'm paranoid of failing on that last rep so it's always this huge adrenaline rush when I know I might have pushed it one too far, haha...maybe that intensity is helping the gains though! The big mistake I made with my little home gym is grabbing a bench with towers instead of going flat bench + power rack which would let me bench or squat as much as I want without fear of hurting myself thanks to the catches/safeties.

clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Balan7777 View Post
    I read somewhere that it's recommended that if working out alone, leave the collars off your barbell. I assume that way if you get stuck (for example when working to failure doing bench presses), you can tilt to the side and the plates will slide off.

I dread to think of any twisting damage it might do to you with all the weight then only on one end of the bar though (not to mention floor & equipment damage from being dropped...).

My collars are staying on, but one thing I did do was pick up an extra weight bench leg pad (the round foam ones about 4 x 8 inches with a 1 inch hole through the middle) and stuck it in the centre of my barbell. That way if I do get stuck, it's a lot less painfull than having just the bar sitting on your chest because the load is spread.This means I can wait a few seconds until I've got the energy back to get the bar back up to the mounts, or if really stuck, roll it down to my hips & get out from under it.

I'm using the same bar for deadlifts, upright rows, bent over rows, shrugs, etc & find that it doesn't really get in the way at all, so I just leave it on there.
    collars off if you have rubber mats for the weight to fall on. other wise you might damage your floor. But it's definitely one way to get the weight off safely.

for 1" plates, for some reason they slide off really easy, so if you're just slightly off balance, the weight will slide off, that's why I tend to keep the collar on when using regular bars.

for the oly bar/plate, they do not slide off easily, so i just leave the collar off... and it's fine.

as far as safety, I got trapped under 100 pounds when bench press and I couldn't get it back up, end up rolling it like 20 times and got tired of it, so I just get a rack, i figured health is more important than 100 bucks... my arms are long for my body (5'8.5 with 6'1 wing span), when the bar hit my chest, my elbow are way bellow parallel, no chance of me getting the weight back up in that position (aka it's like when you squat and you're way under parallel, it's really hard to get back up).

I have notice that if you get a human spotter, it'll trick you into pushing harder on the last few reps, even if their hand is barely touching the bar, your head is thinking "hey i'm getting help", a placebo effect if you will, and it does work, you don't get this when you're doing stuff alone...

Originally Posted by Balan7777 View Post

As you surmise, leaving the collars off is for safety. If you fail during a bench press, you can dump the plates on one side thus freeing you from being trapped beneath the bar. Your safety is much more important than potential damage to the floor or other equipment.

If you bench press in a power rack with correctly adjusted safeties, then all of this becomes moot. The rack's safeties will save you.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) reemg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would definately go for a home gym if you have the money upfront, and space. There will be muscles probably that could benefit from different varied equipment, i.e a bench , barbell, dumbbells might not workout your whole body, so you might feel you need to go to a well sorted gym anyway just to cover those muscles you miss. Again this is all down to how much money you have to spend on equipment in the first place. no matter what though for me it is a great investment if the only place you have to workout is 5 paces away.

RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000) RBLOCK is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thread title should be:

commercial gym vs actual gym

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its really all about money and what your local gyms are like. If money is taken out of the equation, then I'd say Markey Mark's home gym looked very nice... better than most commercial gyms and he even had a boxing rink in it. But even then, if cost is taken out of the equation, I still would like to have access to the best local gym for a change of pace. Even though the gym really isn't for socializing, its still nice to get out of the house on occasion.

Anyway, I think a home gym and also having a commercial gym membership are both nice. There are some good crossfit places out there as well, that if anything, makes for a good one hour class, even if they say its all you need, which I don't, it still makes for a good one hour warm-up ;-)

Anyway, ideally you don't have to pick one or the other... but you;d have a home gym and access to other facilities you like as well.

Somebody mentioned maintanance. There really is no significant maintainance if you are using commerical grade equipment in a home gym. The equipment use is relatively light, especially for a highly durable commercial grade equipment.

Damn, got Tebowed... Go Texans ;-)