Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

More like 10,000 calories = 1 lb of weight...

Seriously, the closer I get to 10% the more I have to cut to lose an ounce. I'm eating at a 1,000 calorie-a-day deficit right now. (Which is not easy, by the way. Cardio is now a requirement just to be able to eat dinner). And I'm just holding steady- maybe fluctuating between ounces where I used to fluctuate between pounds.

It's hard for me to make sense out of it. If 3,500 calories = 1 pound lost, and I cut 7,000 calories from my maintenance per week, then why is it taking me a month to lose a pound? Why does it get harder?

I've heard that metabolism slowing down is a myth at worst, and irrelevant at best. Apparently, consensus is that the amount that your body's metabolism slows to account for the deficit will never outweigh the deficit itself. So that's not the issue.

I probably only have about 5-10 pounds to lose and still be healthy. If my body is struggling to retain that fat, then where is my calorie deficit going? I mean, where are those extra calories being burned from? Is my body generating them out of thin air? Is it just learning to be more efficient with what I give it?

I'm at a loss. I don't really want sympathy or advice, I just want an explanation!

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are stressed out (as evidenced by your post), cortisol is high and you are retaining water. Woosh forthcoming.

egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10) egobeater is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When calculating your daily deficit have you readjusted your bmr as you've dropped weight? You may know this, but if not, your bmr decreases as your weight does which is why it's harder to maintain that 2lb weight loss per week target. Only thing I can think of.

Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sprockethead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I'm down to just over 1,300 calories a day, which is why cardio is so necessary.

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    Yeah, I'm down to just over 1,300 calories a day, which is why cardio is so necessary.
    How long have you been dieting?
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
    How long have you been dieting?
    yes how long? long term, huge deficit dieting, and lots of activity can slow metabolism, or throw off your hormones, stalling your diet

that seems ridiculously low. Might wanna eat at maintence for a little bit, then re apply a deficit.

Originally Posted by nlite2000 View Post
    You are stressed out (as evidenced by your post), cortisol is high and you are retaining water. Woosh forthcoming.
    Thanks. I hope you're right! Your post caused me to google cortisol. I have been stressed lately. Very interesting, indeed.

Maybe you are right. I've been dieting for about 10 months now. I've lost about 30 pounds. I've always tried to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit with 1 "re-feed" day. Maybe it's time for a week long break or so? How long of a break would you guys recommend?

PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe you are right. I've been dieting for about 10 months now. I've lost about 30 pounds. I've always tried to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit with 1 "re-feed" day. Maybe it's time for a week long break or so? How long of a break would you guys recommend?
    According to Lyle Mcdonald's A Guide to Flexible Dieting, people should go on diet breaks after a certain amount of weeks:
    Category 1: 4-6 weeks
    Category 2: 6-12 weeks
    Category 3: 12-16 weeks

Categories are as follow:
    Category 1: 15% and lower
    Category 2: 16-25%
    Category 3: 26% and above
    Note: These are body fat percentages

Also, 1000 is a very large deficit, one that should only be used as a last resort. Most people just keep cutting cals and it's unnecessary and hard. A simple diet break can remedy a lot of issues.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

Good advice, I really appreciate that information.

I go to Las Vegas for 5 days at the end of this month. Maybe if this trend of not losing fat continues, I'll just loosen up while I'm there and not diet, and count that as my break.

Good advice, I really appreciate that information.

I go to Las Vegas for 5 days at the end of this month. Maybe if this trend of not losing fat continues, I'll just loosen up while I'm there and not diet, and count that as my break.
    5 days isn't long enough. Typically the recommendation is two weeks. Don't try and force something that is not happening. Just relax, eat at maintenance for two weeks and keep track of weight.

Do yourself a favour and read this before you go on a diet break:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...iet-break.html

I think you should really consider doing it, especially since Lyle recommends people do it after 3-4 months and you've been cutting for 10 months.

I will read that right now. But if my metabolism really has slowed, won't boosting my calorie intake by 1000 calories a day cause me to pack on the pounds? Is this something I'm supposed to ease into?

I will read that right now. But if my metabolism really has slowed, won't boosting my calorie intake by 1000 calories a day cause me to pack on the pounds? Is this something I'm supposed to ease into?
    "I’d say the big advantage of the slow approach is that it avoid major weight spikes which can cause negative psychological effects. The disadvantage is that it’s less fun and means you have to be meticulous about your food intake the whole time. Also, from the standpoint of the full diet break, you don’t want to take too long to reach maintenance or you won’t get the benefits in terms of fixing metabolic rate. At most you should take the first week (of two) to reach maintenance and spend at least 7 days at maintenance levels."

That's the "slow" approach. Fast approach:
    "In a fast approach, calories are basically ramped up to maintenance quickly over a day or two. This can actually be done in concert with a structured refeed, just make the first day(s) of your refeed the return to maintenance. So start your move to maintenance or the full diet break with a structured refeed, then scale back calories and carbohydrates to maintenance levels for the duration.

The drawbacks to this option is that it’s easy to lose control of food intake (what should be a short refeed turns into a long-term binge) and the bloating and water retention can be annoying. Some people also report gastric upset and gas when they ramp up carbs after they haven’t been eating any for a while. I think the fast option is probably best for category 1 dieters (those who aren’t under a time crunch) who already have good food control and won’t have a problem returning to maintenance after a structured refeed. Category 2 and 3 dieters may still be dealing with changing long-term eating habits and the slow option, described next, is probably better overall."

mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're eating 1300 calories a day? And doing cardio?

I would take a break. Creep calories back up to what you think maintenance is. The hard part is this will take time..you need to reestablish what your true BMR is. To be honest I dont even believe in true BMR, it implies you burn the same amount every day and that its a constant. You will probably put on a few lbs of water weight and it will throw your results off but if you stick with it a few weeks and find a realistic BMR you wont gain weight.

I highly, highly suggest you get one of those bodybugs. I just dont see 1300 calories a day plus cardio being the "proper" way to do it. Your body is fighting with you here. I bet you are fighting constant hunger pains and your body still refuses to drop more weight. I bet you floored your BMR eating that way. Get back to maintenance, get a body bug and eat according to that. I'd slow down to 500 deficit going forward and when you get a true idea of BMR per day you can make better choices. I bet you can easily eat up to 1000 MORE calories then you are now and you'll start losing weight again. I bet you can eat 3000 calories for a week or 3 without gaining a pound (except water fluctuations).

If you are truely eating 1300 calories and doing cardio I dont think thats the right way to do it. There is far more going on in your body then calories in/calories out.

Originally Posted by mfitty9000 View Post
    You're eating 1300 calories a day? And doing cardio?
    Sorry, I should be more specific. I'm doing cardio in order to keep my total calories intake of calories down to 1300. Normally, I eat aout 1600 and burn about 300 per day. Otherwise I feel like I'm starving myself. Cardio allows for that snack of almonds or a mixed drink from time to time.

EDIT: But I get your point. I'll look into the body bug.

pvilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is a great way to burn calories!
    http://www.fitzness.com/blog/?p=4964

purdueman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) purdueman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pvilla View Post
    Here is a great way to burn calories!
    http://www.fitzness.com/blog/?p=4964
    Agreed, using a 50lbs vest really burns my energy like no other. Makes it feel good knowing that I lost that much in weight :3.
    Try using it when you work out your shoulders. Two workouts in one. Brutal.

Reminds me, I should go do some cardio tonight and put it on

ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000)
    you may "whoosh" sometime soon.... it happens more and more the leaner you get. if you haven't seen it, check out lyle macdonald's article on it

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
    According to Lyle Mcdonald's A Guide to Flexible Dieting, people should go on diet breaks after a certain amount of weeks:
    Category 1: 4-6 weeks
    Category 2: 6-12 weeks
    Category 3: 12-16 weeks

Categories are as follow:
    Category 1: 15% and lower
    Category 2: 16-25%
    Category 3: 26% and above
    Note: These are body fat percentages

Also, 1000 is a very large deficit, one that should only be used as a last resort. Most people just keep cutting cals and it's unnecessary and hard. A simple diet break can remedy a lot of issues.
    not if you're over 20%BF

when i first started my cut, i was running a 1500-2000 cal deficit with no issues at all.

jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakeeck is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was eating 1400 cals on a cut a while ago and I wasnt losing much weight at all after a couple of weeks.. its way too low.. for me it was so bad that a lot of random weird stuff was happening to my body on such low cals.. like while deadlifting my left tricep started to pop and a bunch of other weird stuff

like others have said.. take a break and get your metabolism up and then get back on your diet .. but not 1300 cals lol.

drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Keep in mind that each pound of bodyfat can only provide you with 31 calories per day. Assuming you were 15% bodyfat right now you would have 25 pounds of fat allowing up to a 775 calorie deficit. By the time you get down to 10% you are going to have like 15 pounds of bodyfat which won't even sustain a 500 calorie deficit. This is why weight loss must slow as you drop body fat.
    04/2010 - 295 Fattest
    11/11/11 - 171.8

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    as long as you know you are eating deficit. have faith in your fat loss.

i am going to spend next friday getting drunk and expecting a whoosh. i will be making a thread about it, taking pics, and seeing what happens.

bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5'10" 170 and you're at 1300 a day? Are you crazy? I'm similar stats and my cut is like 2300 cals when I'm cutting!
    My 9 month transformation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPuZ3z0dKmQ

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bhffs View Post
    5'10" 170 and you're at 1300 a day? Are you crazy? I'm similar stats and my cut is like 2300 cals when I'm cutting!
    Profile pic:running
    Assumptions:you do cardio

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A more likely explanation is that you're overestimating your maintenance and not counting your calories correctly.

Having said that, the closer I got to 10% for the first time the slower my progress was - so I understand your frustration. The math didn't seem to add up for me either. Thankfully it was far easier the second time.

Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    A more likely explanation is that you're overestimating your maintenance and not counting your calories correctly.

Having said that, the closer I got to 10% for the first time the slower my progress was - so I understand your frustration. The math didn't seem to add up for me either. Thankfully it was far easier the second time.
    do you believe in whooshes?

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    do you believe in whooshes?
    I've personally experienced them more than once.

purdueman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) purdueman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry but what's a whoosh...