Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50)

For All the York-ophiles Out There...

Just picked these vintage York Roundheads up today for a good deal ($.45/lb.). They need a good cleaning and probably painting but are otherwise in great condition, besides the one 100 which needs some love and paint.

Now I just need a rack to keep them all, suggestions on which rack these will (preferably all) fit on? and Any advice on cleaning/painting these guys?

Attached Images
    "Stimulate, don't Annihilate."

- Lee Haney

"God has smiled on me and he's been good to me;
    God has smiled on me and he has set me free."

- Afroman

ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000) ProudMarineDad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Man, nice pick up.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up Roundheads

It looks like you may have a complete collection from 10 to 100. What all do you have? Are the handles all straight and are they tight?

You have three choices: leave them as they are; restore; refurbish. Leaving these vintage dumbbells as they are means more rust. I wouldn't do that. Purist collectors would prefer a minimalist approach to restoration, with some wire brush action to remove excess surface rust and then rubbing the roundheads down with WD40. On good specimens, the WD40 will really bring out the patina of the dbs.

Refurbishing will, arguably, diminish value for collectors. Wire brush the dbs to remove as much rust as possible. Keep in mind that if there are any problems with the quality of the iron, either from rust or from when it was poured, the wire brush may expose them. Go with at least a 4" wire brush that you can mount on a hand drill (not cordless!). The 2" wire brush and hand brush won't get the job done.

After you've removed the rust, you can go with a solution that will transform the rust into a primer or you can put paint down directly to the metal. There are a few alternatives for the first option and later today I'll post some brands. If you go wtih the second option, don't use gloss. Go with a satin or semi-gloss paint. I prefer Rustoleum Painter's Touch semi-gloss.

Take your time. Wirebrushing those dbs is going to take you a day or two at least. Painting will take another couple of days.

Don't cut up these beatiful pieces of American Iron to make blobs unless the handles are bent, and then only if the bend is serious. These are real-deal American dumbbells. We (USA) don't make this stuff anymore. And when you are using them, dont' drop them. In fact, NEVER drop dumbbells unless its for your own safety. The heads of the dumbbells were poured around the handles. If you aren't careful, they will loosen over time. Oh, and getting 100s is awesome. They are pretty rare. Enjoy your roundheads!
    Last edited by AttyGuy; 05-28-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great score! I think they're in fine shape, but for that 100. Do you really feel you need to do anything to most of them? I'd use them just the way they are.

I guess, if you do paint them, I'd agree that you shouldn't use glossy. The WD=40 idea sounds nice. As a matter of fact, I'm going to try a little experiment with that today on some of my own iron.

Honestly, though, those dumbells of yours are in fine shape.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All of the dumbbells in the picture exhibit signs of rust. WD40 will protect the dbs by removing some surface rust and inhibiting further rust. It also brings out the patina in the iron. It's a common approach among collectors.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A Whole York Set

Wow! I'm impressed! Love 'em.
    I'm only ecto on the outside

retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    It looks like you may have a complete collection from 10 to 100. What all do you have? Are the handles all straight and are they tight?

You have three choices: leave them as they are; restore; refurbish. Leaving these vintage dumbbells as they are means more rust. I wouldn't do that. Purist collectors would prefer a minimalist approach to restoration, with some wire brush action to remove excess surface rust and then rubbing the roundheads down with WD40. On good specimens, the WD40 will really bring out the patina of the dbs.

Refurbishing will, arguably, diminish value for collectors. Wire brush the dbs to remove as much rust as possible. Keep in mind that if there are any problems with the quality of the iron, either from rust or from when it was poured, the wire brush may expose them. Go with at least a 4" wire brush that you can mount on a hand drill (not cordless!). The 2" wire brush and hand brush won't get the job done.

After you've removed the rust, you can go with a solution that will transform the rust into a primer or you can put paint down directly to the metal. There are a few alternatives for the first option and later today I'll post some brands. If you go wtih the second option, don't use gloss. Go with a satin or semi-gloss paint. I prefer Rustoleum Painter's Touch semi-gloss.

Take your time. Wirebrushing those dbs is going to take you a day or two at least. Painting will take another couple of days.

Don't cut up these beatiful pieces of American Iron to make blobs unless the handles are bent, and then only if the bend is serious. These are real-deal American dumbbells. We (USA) don't make this stuff anymore. And when you are using them, dont' drop them. In fact, NEVER drop dumbbells unless its for your own safety. The heads of the dumbbells were poured around the handles. If you aren't careful, they will loosen over time. Oh, and getting 100s is awesome. They are pretty rare. Enjoy your roundheads!
    I got 5-100's plus 3's, they are all tight and seem hardly used on the higher weights, but Im not sure about straightness.

Thanks for the great advice.

I'm probably going to repaint them slowly over time. They are going to be my personal set (planning on selling my 5-50 rubber hex Yorks), so Im not too worried about losing some value, and I dont like the rusted look myself. I may keep some of the better ones with just the WD-40, Ill see how rusted they are when I clean'em up. There is no way Im cutting these guys up except that 100 if it doesnt clean up well, they are way too awesome.

My father manages an Auto-Body and Restoration Shop so I have access to pretty much any equipment I need, would sandblasting them instead of using the drill-brush be to harsh?

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These are awesome. I say take AttyGuy's advice and just carefully wirebrush the rust. Leave them looking old and vintage. Lifting with vintage weights is extremely motivating.

Rust Never Sleeps; Sand is Unstoppable

Whatever you do, address the rust. There are a lot of guys who like the patina of vintage weights, and many who like a fresh coat of paint. Whether WD40 or a good coat of paint, you'll definitely feel the motivation increase when you lift American Iron made by Americans for Americans.

The wire brush is preferred over Naval Jelly and sandblasting. Naval jelly is messy and requires a good washing off with water. Sandblasting will damage the metal if there is excessive porosity. Some early vintage weights had holes that the manufacturers filled in with putty, etc., but even newer vintage weights suffer from porosity and rust can exploit porosity. If you do find spots in the roundheads that have holes, gaps, etc., you can always use JB Weld to fill them in and then paint over the repairs. I would suggest not using sandblasting.

thanks again

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am jealous ! Nice pick up and even though I know that painting them might lower their value, that is what I would do if I hand that set.

Good luck
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

smells like Hoppe's #9 cavymeister's Avatar
    cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cavymeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you plan on painting them, don't do the WD40 as it'll add more work later to get the oils off before you attempt to paint them.

As far as that 100 goes, I'd find someone that has a sand blasing cabinet and hit it up with some walnut shell, or glass bead. It won't take any of the good metal off, but will remove any rust & old paint. You can probably have a local machine shop clean it for $5-$15 as well. Proabably well worth it over the amount of time it would take with sandpaper/wiz-wheel.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -AW
    Somebody kill the f'ing whales.
    You can have the sunshine, I will take the moonshine

TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000)
    What a find!!! I'd sand-blast and paint them if they were mine.....I personally would use them forever and then hand them down to my son who hopefully would do the same. That set would look amazing with a satin coat of black and white, silver, or even red numbers/letters....

The things I would do to have that set.... Well done Sir!

supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) supernaut76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
    What a find!!! I'd sand-blast and paint them if they were mine.....I personally would use them forever and then hand them down to my son who hopefully would do the same. That set would look amazing with a satin coat of black and white, silver, or even red numbers/letters....

In love with these!

Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post

Thats exactly what Im doing. There is a sandblast cabinet at my dad's shop but it wont support the heavier weights so Im planning on doing them a portable 'blaster then a semi-gloss product similar to rustolium. I did a 3 lb for a test and it turned out great, Im going for as authentic as possible so no paint on the letters just solid black.

Right now Im looking for a rack for them, probably going to order the Troy TDR-3. My only concern is that its a 2 rail design and the width may be off with the round-heads.

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by retro_roots View Post
    My father manages an Auto-Body and Restoration Shop so I have access to pretty much any equipment I need, would sandblasting them instead of using the drill-brush be to harsh?
    I think that media blasting would be LESS harsh than the wire wheel.
    Your father will know what it takes, start slow.
    "I am only one man, but I am a strong man."
    -FGR 2010.

You don't want the following day's local newspaper headline to be "Dumbass dies on an AirDyne".
    -weisgarb 2013

"Word of warning to whom it may concern: Picking up a 226lb atlas stone and putting it in your car's trunk is easy compared to getting it out of said trunk."
    -Xephonics, 2010

Let's see pictures of your progress!

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Let's see pictures of your progress!
    This was the first one we did as a test, turned out great.

And this is actually the 100 that was completely caked in rust.

Some of the smaller ones we blasted in the cabinet but the rest we with a portable sandblaster. Im priming them with an acid etching primer, if any one is interested Ill get the exact names of the products.

Got about 25 left to do should be almopst done by the end of the day.
    Attached Images

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

One word:

Awesome.

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice work. Sorry if I missed it, but what paint did you select?
    I'm only ecto on the outside

Originally Posted by Bryan88MA View Post
    Yeah. What he asked.

StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StrongHarris is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I would love to have these!

Originally Posted by Bryan88MA View Post
    The paint and primer are a brand called SEM. The primer is Self Etching and will work on basically any metal and the paint is "Trim Black." Like I said my dad manages a body shop so he got spray cans of the stuff for me from his supplier. Most hardware stores arent going to have it, but any good auto paint or custom supply shop should have cans of the stuff.

You can def get and use cheaper paint but after seeing how the primer works I wouldnt use anything else for personal equipment.

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatGymRat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Repped, they turned out great.

What surface prep did you use? You mentioned a blasting cabinet and a portable blaster.
    Did you use sand? or did you go with a gentler media?
    "I am only one man, but I am a strong man."
    -FGR 2010.

You don't want the following day's local newspaper headline to be "Dumbass dies on an AirDyne".
    -weisgarb 2013

"Word of warning to whom it may concern: Picking up a 226lb atlas stone and putting it in your car's trunk is easy compared to getting it out of said trunk."
    -Xephonics, 2010

Originally Posted by FatGymRat View Post
    Repped, they turned out great.

What surface prep did you use? You mentioned a blasting cabinet and a portable blaster.
    Did you use sand? or did you go with a gentler media?
    Sand, just used a rather low air pressure.

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

SPEECHLESS

45 cents a lb.........................................

Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jacobs64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice find they are really cool.

Originally Posted by BRUTUSPLAC View Post
    SPEECHLESS

45 cents a lb.........................................
    Yah I got the set for $950 so right around that price. Moving them was a bitch though

- Lee Haney

- Afroman

BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000)
    i recall both days ,
    1- when i bought my 5-85 in 1990 or 91 for $1,000 with 2 - 9 foot racks
    2 and moving them again when i bought my house in 92
    3 when i got a commercail grade in oct 2009 .

THEY ARE YOURS for life. think about it .

here are mine

got this rack for $75 ? barely fit and hanging out my exterra . LOLOl

never have enoough plates. 1,400 lbs for $100.

and 140, 145 , & 150 solid stainless steel - $120.

YOU will find stuff , save cash , and when yuo see something jump on it.
    Last edited by BRUTUSPLAC; 06-13-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: other links didint work