Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Ever stop a workout because you were noticably weaker?

First exercise was Push Press. Last week, after ramping up I got 170 x 6.

This week I could tell during the ramp sets that something was wrong.

I kept checking the weights. When I got to 155 I knew I wasn't going to
    beat the log book.

I got up to 170 and struggled to lock out the 3rd rep.

I just called it a day. I'm sure this has happened to everybody.
    What do you do?

Try to beat it tomorrow or just do a light workout and try it next week?
    "Unless you're a 14 year old girl what kind of pussy actually takes the time and effort to neg someone. Pathetic" -Author unknown

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Can't ever remember quitting a session. I complete the workout to the best of my ability that day, and then move on. It's the effort expended that's important.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50)

hhhhmmm

i have had times when i feel weak, usually i lighten the load and up the reps or take more time in between sets but i can remember one or two times when i said...."not today" and just went home. ....mostly i just wait for th N O to kick in

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yep it certainlly ebbs and flows...either except the rep limitation or drop the weight, that's just your body talking to you....listen!
    Land of Honalee

cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess my real question is... Is it better for your overall progress to just work up to your abilities that day or take an extra day of rest and see if you can "beat the book".

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm on a strength program.
    "Unless you're a 14 year old girl what kind of pussy actually takes the time and effort to neg someone. Pathetic" -Author unknown

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by cockywop View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned that I'm on a strength program.
    Follow the specific instructions for dealing with unmet numbers as called out by the program you're running.

The usual remedy is to simply stay with the same loads the following session and any subsequent session(s) where you didn't hit your numbers.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thanks for the info gents.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why would you do the same workout two days in a row? Just chalk it up to a bad session and wait until next week.

That said, I've never stopped a workout because I felt weak. Those are the workouts that really test our mettle. We all have days like this, but IMO, the best solution is to push even harder. I view stopping as giving in to weakness, both physical and mental. Don't let the weakness win!
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have had days when the lifting just does not seem right, mental or physical...

I simply stop. I go to the cardio junk and do 30-45 mins steady and work up a sweat and go home.

Still feels like I got something done and didn't waste a trip.

Being strong and healthy is a long marathon to me, a slow day here or there is just fine.

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Happens all the time in powerlifting, it is yourbody telling you that 'You Need A DELOAD' week.
    When working at 70 to 90% of 1RM the body will at one point (usually between 4 and 8 weeks) that it just cannot recoupe and then you need to go light for a week for the body to reset itself.

Like I said it happens all the time in powerlifting not so much in BB.
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)

Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000)

beat the log book.

What do you do?

Very rarely, but yes. Some days your body sends you a message that you need a break for some reason. I try not to ignore it. But nor do I look for an excuse to stop. Mostly, even if it's an off day and I hit a problem like you did...I'll cut the weight or cut the reps and make sure I put in SOME work instead of calling the whole workout off. Sometimes you just need to regroup.

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think I've ever quit early because of feeling weak. But while I was recovering from an illness and injury that left me essentially bed ridden for two months I absolutely noticed that I was weaker once I began working out again and getting back into my routine. After my two months down time I went back into my usual schedule and routine, but with lower intensity cardio and lower weight for a few weeks while getting back into it. But same sets and reps, just lower weight from what I was at prior to the two months off.

My illness was with pneumonia and then followed with bi-lateral tendonitus. That affected certain exercises in my routine, primarily cardio. But still did it.

Usually, if I feel really really tired, the workout is what picks me back up again. SO on those days it is even more important to stick with the routine. If you have an injury though, then of course you should treat it as such and be cautious.
    Last edited by ygohome; 03-16-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I felt something today, Some lifts were less than my best, but I hit 2 new PR's.
    so it aint all bad.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50) nebnar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happened to me today, (leg day).

pushed and pushed til workout was done, didn't give up...but wasn't happy with the day, oh well. that just means next week has to be better is all.
    year 2 will be better than year 1, as i've had a year to realize how little I really knew.

Heres a different take.

Have you ever hit a PR that you could not match or beat.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I have days like that, I switch stuff around. I stop the main stuff and just do lighter asst exercises for mega reps.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What do you do?
    Effort is effort, I'd continue on. I've never quit a training session.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What do you do?

I realize I'm human and my strength level will vary. I work with a lighter weight. I try the heavier weight the next time I do the exercise.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think it happens to everyone. I never ever quit, I will usually drop the weight and do more reps. Look at it this way, lets say you were doing leg presses and you were doing 400 for 10 but could not get past the second one you were feeling weak, just drop it to 300 and do 25 Don't let the weights own you, you own the weights

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very rarely, but just a few days ago I went in for a chest wo that starts with incline db's. Start working sets with 75's, normally, but when I got to the 55 db's in warmup, they felt like 2 tons and also shoulders felt pain.

I just grabbed up my belongings and left. Not gonna force it and pull or tear something as I try to complete what would be a mediocre workout anyway.

There were other mitigating factors, however, such as worrying about oral surgery the next day and extra heavy labor at work all that week.
    Time To Re-Schedule

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What do you do?

I just plow on through. I tend to get pissed off when I'm having a weak day, and my anger gives me enough strength to finish what I planned.
    Heres a different take.

Yes, military presses.

This is what I'm doing:

1) Switching to seated DB Presses for 3 more weeks. (I am actually quite pleased at how this is coming along.)

2) and re-setting my 1RM and working max for this particular exercise. This is good for me in a couple of ways. A little humility adjustment, for one. And two, it will allow me to complete what I had planned for that day without constantly feeling like a failure.
    Last edited by discdoggie; 03-17-2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Very rarely, but just a few days ago I went in for a chest wo that starts with incline db's. Start working sets with 75's, normally, but when I got to the 55 db's in warmup, they felt like 2 tons and also shoulders felt pain.

I just grabbed up my belongings and left. Not gonna force it and pull or tear something as I try to complete what would be a mediocre workout anyway.

There were other mitigating factors, however, such as worrying about oral surgery the next day and extra heavy labor at work all that week.
    How did the oral surgery go?
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    How did the oral surgery go?
    Very well. Sucks getting older but no choice but to deal with it as gracefully as I can.
    Time To Re-Schedule

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    After having a couple of unusually good weeks, last night started out seeming like it wasn't so hot. But I just kept on going and by the time I was done and looked back over the workout, it wasn't all that bad and I was glad I didn't let the slow start get me down.

If I am not recovered enough from the previous workout and need an extra day of rest, I usually realize that before I even get to the gym. Once I am there, I am committed.
    Overweight and arrogant

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

beat the log book.

What do you do?

I've definitely had days like that. I also have days when I feel I can move mountains. For me, my best workouts are exactly 1-1.5 hours after I've had dinner (and 30 mins after my pre-workout drink) . Dinner's my biggest meal of the day by far. Working out before dinner (3-4 hours after lunch) or even in the morning after breakfast, I'm never as strong.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    I've definitely had days like that. I also have days when I feel I can move mountains. For me, my best workouts are exactly 1-1.5 hours after I've had dinner (and 30 mins after my pre-workout drink) . Dinner's my biggest meal of the day by far. Working out before dinner (3-4 hours after lunch) or even in the morning after breakfast, I'm never as strong.
    Same here. My lifts are so much better a little later in the day after I've eaten a good bit.

It has never occured to me to quit when I'm having a weak day. I just lighten the load or lower my reps and do as much as I can handle. If I'm there, I'm gonna lift something!

Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never quit a session, but i've definitely modified it according to my strength/energy levels. Like has been said previously, just modify the reps or weights or even switch exercises. Is the barbell bench not working for you? Use dumbbells. Pull ups not working? Do lat pull downs, etc.
    Squat, Deadlift, Row, Bench, Press, repeat.

♦ ɴɣϲ ϲrew ♦

Good stuff from everyone.

That was the 1st time I ever stopped a workout. I've had plenty of
    bad days but that was just an incredible drop in power. Last week I did 170 x 6
    and I know I could of got 7. Yesterday I barely got 3.

Had a great nights sleep and I'm gonna try it again today.
    If I cant hit my numbers I'll just drop the weight till I get in
    the rep range I want.

Thanks all

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To the original question: I'll a) break down the the exercise into fewer rep over more sets and exceed the volume of the plan for that day, or b) lower the weigh just enough to exceed the volume of the plan for that day.

Here's a different take.

Yes I've hit PRs that I could not match in the following week or two. Those PRs usually happen after several days of better sleep and a couple of cheat meals.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 03-17-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One time. Seriously, once, in 20 years give or take. I had psyched myself UP for a BB bench PR that day. Everything had been going well up to that point. Good lifts earlier in the week, plenty of rest the night before, food, etc. and couldn't even make my rep goal on a stepping-up weight. I was so pissed I left the gym.

There was a time when I expected every day to result in an increase in weight or reps from the previous session, and for the most part that was the rule. Now, I just re-work the routine to accommodate normal but infrequent daily variability in strength.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX