Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knee muscle

Wildland Firefighter Cobra5.0Jeep's Avatar
    Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000)

Knee muscle/lower quad

Last fire season i dislocated my knee cap. I wasn't able to bend my knee for more than a month. Its gotten a lot better, except its been real sore from running last week (did 20+ miles in 5 days) I've decided to not run until March but one thing thats been bugging me is my injured knee doesn't look anything like my other knee. Its like the muscle is completely gone. I am wondering if there is any special workouts i can be doing to build this muscle back. Someone told me Lunges and i've been doing them but it doesn't seem like its doing anything, heres a picture so you guys can see what i am seeing. My injured knee is the one with the huge scar (old injury) if you look at my other knee it has a nice bulge on the inner side of my knee. i was told this muscle holds your knee cap in place.
    Last edited by Cobra5.0Jeep; 02-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cobra5.0Jeep View Post
    Last fire season i dislocated my knee cap. I wasn't able to bend my knee for more than a month. Its gotten a lot better, except its been real sore from running last week (did 20+ miles in 5 days) I've decided to not run until March but one thing thats been bugging me is my injured knee doesn't look anything like my other knee. Its like the muscle is completely gone. I am wondering if there is any special workouts i can be doing to build this muscle back. Someone told me Lunges and i've been doing them but it doesn't seem like its doing anything, heres a picture so you guys can see what i am seeing. My injured knee is the one with the huge scar (old injury) if you look at my other knee it has a nice bulge on the inner side of my knee. i was told this muscle holds your knee cap in place.
    Unless a condition prevents you from performing resistance movements:

- extensions
    - lunges
    - squats
    etc.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyone? i need some excersizes to get that muscle back before fire season. I do the squat machine, leg extensions, leg curls, lunges, nothing seems to target that part of my quad.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Unless a condition prevents you from performing resistance movements:

- extensions
    - lunges
    - squats
    etc.
    so those will build up the muscle, i've been doing them for 2 months and i still haven't seen any increase in size or tightness in that part of my quad. Just wondering if there is something that will specifically hit the lower part.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @ months is not long enough to see results, try 6 months
    www.fat-burning-techniques.com

Jay

Originally Posted by jaydillera View Post
    @ months is not long enough to see results, try 6 months
    it hasn't changed at all though. My strength has increased in it, i can leg extension more than 25lbs without my leg shaking like it did the first time i started lifting with it again. Its still can't lift the same amount as my other leg but i'd think i'd see some size coming back or even a harder muscle but its soft as hell, almost like theres nothing there anymore.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I injured my knee before from snowboarding and could not do leg work out for a 2 months. It took me almost a year just to get back where I left off. Its just time! Maybe you should get one of those electrode machine that stimulates your muscles, just to get your receptors working.

Jay

I injured my knee before from snowboarding and could not do leg work out for a 2 months. It took me almost a year just to get back where I left off. Its just time! Maybe you should get one of those electrode machine that stimulates your muscles, just to get your receptors working.
    what did you do to your knee? Did you lose the same part of your quad?
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so those will build up the muscle, i've been doing them for 2 months and i still haven't seen any increase in size or tightness in that part of my quad. Just wondering if there is something that will specifically hit the lower part.
    Quad extensions will.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Quad extensions will.
    Is there a way i should angle my foot or something? Seems like quad extensions only hit my upper quad.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am assuming you are talking about the Vastus Medialis quad muscle.

I think Hack squats target this area well and front squats.

I agree with other poster who stated its going to take some time.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob

defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    quad extensions with the feet rotated 45 degrees out.

mit developed fins to swimm with your feet pronated like that, so you can work you vastus medialis.

link:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand.../212409882.pdf

like this:

Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dont have much to add here, i just saw a similar username.
    Fierce Five log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172189533&p=1457532133

what did you do to your knee? Did you lose the same part of your quad?
    No. I did not loose any part of the quad just sprained it really bad where I had water retention on my knee.

Jay

No. I did not loose any part of the quad just sprained it really bad where I had water retention on my knee.
    that sucks. I had fluid in my knee for the first 2 months of it being hurt and me limping around. Now it kinda swells up after doing cardio.
    Today doing the stationary bike i noticed a legiment on the top left side of my knee popping out and in, i could see it doing it under my skin so i held my thumb against it for about 2 minutes and it stopped.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

that sucks. I had fluid in my knee for the first 2 months of it being hurt and me limping around. Now it kinda swells up after doing cardio.
    Today doing the stationary bike i noticed a legiment on the top left side of my knee popping out and in, i could see it doing it under my skin so i held my thumb against it for about 2 minutes and it stopped.
    Do you wrap your knee when you do leg exercise? I did when I injured my knee, it help my knee out.

Jay

WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WilWander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sumo squats, if you're wanting to build your VMO.
    From soul to soul the shortest line
    At best will bended be:
    The ship that holds the straightest course
    Still sails the convex sea.

Do you wrap your knee when you do leg exercise? I did when I injured my knee, it help my knee out.
    No i don't wrap my knee because i don't want to take away from it getting stronger, i won't be able to wear a brace on the fire line in case i get into something hot, the brace/wrap will melt onto my skin before i actually get burned. So i want to train without a wrap. I wore a sport brace for a couple of days when it was really hurt and it felt like it was pushing my knee cap out of place. It was a weird feeling.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

Did everything people mentioned in this post and went a little heavier than usual and my knee didn't like it at all. Hella sore today, couldn't even do cardio
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    Did everything people mentioned in this post and went a little heavier than usual and my knee didn't like it at all. Hella sore today, couldn't even do cardio
    that's where you went wrong.

light weights for monts, gradually increase it.

brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i dislocated my patella, fractured the actual patella its self(avulsion fracture), and messed up some cart. under the knee cap and it took me a year and a half to bounce back from it. be patient, start small, work up slowly. i still have trouble with my knee to this day, but mainly just from random popping. a patellar isolation knee brace will help, not while actually lifting but when on your daily grind the day after lifting when it's weakest. i know you don't want to work with a brace but believe me it helps, that might just be a risk you'll have to consider.

knees are a motherfukcer. gl.

2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100)
    Most people actually don't think about training that part of the knee, and that leads up to injury.

Hack squats and keeping your feet closer together on all leg exercises (squats, deadlift) will help. Leg extentions after an injury is a no-no. Also-dont forget about hamstrings.

Originally Posted by defleaner View Post
    that's where you went wrong.

light weights for monts, gradually increase it.
    Been gradually increasing the weight for 3-4 months from super light weight. Its a legiment on the side of my knee thats giving me problems. Its almost like its too tight.

Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post
    i dislocated my patella, fractured the actual patella its self(avulsion fracture), and messed up some cart. under the knee cap and it took me a year and a half to bounce back from it. be patient, start small, work up slowly. i still have trouble with my knee to this day, but mainly just from random popping. a patellar isolation knee brace will help, not while actually lifting but when on your daily grind the day after lifting when it's weakest. i know you don't want to work with a brace but believe me it helps, that might just be a risk you'll have to consider.

knees are a motherfukcer. gl.
    Sounds exactly what i did. The doctor told me i dislocated my knee cap, a piece of my knee cap broke off and i damaged some cartilage under my knee cap. Where most of my pain is the inside of my knee where my old scar is. Some legiment that runs down there and connects to my shin. My knee is definitely weaker after lifting, it even popped today which it hasn't done in months while i was hiking around. i am gonna start wearing a sports brace while i do cardio. I notice all my pain goes away from the legiment if i apply heat to it.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

Originally Posted by 2hard2fixagain View Post
    Most people actually don't think about training that part of the knee, and that leads up to injury.

Hack squats and keeping your feet closer together on all leg exercises (squats, deadlift) will help. Leg extentions after an injury is a no-no. Also-dont forget about hamstrings.
    Yeah all my lifts have gotten stronger with my legs. i don't normally do my workouts with my legs together so i will try that next time i do legs. i want to do legs twice a week cause i need to get this thing atleast 95% so i can work.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

No carbs before 7pm EatPrayLift's Avatar
    EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do leg extensions with your feet positioned as far apart as possible (basically on either edge of the pad). Great for targeting the vastus medialis. Do this with a 2:1 eccentric to concentric ratio.

Originally Posted by EatPrayLift View Post
    do leg extensions with your feet positioned as far apart as possible (basically on either edge of the pad). Great for targeting the vastus medialis. Do this with a 2:1 eccentric to concentric ratio.
    OK i will try that
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

My Lateral Collateral Ligiment is what is hurting and i wonder if i have a bruised my Fibula cause it hurts down to it as well.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000)
    your lateral collateral ligament is hurting because when you dislocated your patella it put sideways pressure on the joint, causing that ligament to stretch. which hurts like a mother. just give it time. and yes heat is your friend.

btw did yours dislocate to the inside or outside?

HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post
    your lateral collateral ligament is hurting because when you dislocated your patella it put sideways pressure on the joint, causing that ligament to stretch. which hurts like a mother. just give it time. and yes heat is your friend.

btw did yours dislocate to the inside or outside?
    I have dislocated my knee cap as well....My knee muscle looks the same, I attribute that to working hard at all the exercises mentioned above AND riding a stationary bike as cardio (but not only cardio, more of a rehab exercise)....really works your whole knee joint and muscles...

...Also, if you have "lost" some of yoru muscle, you won't get it back or change the shape it was put in during surgery,..

leg extensions= I forgot to tell you you should only do the las 30 degrees of the movement to full extension.

also, you need to stretch like a MOFO

good luck and get better soon.