anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SS Variation During 12 Week Cut...

So I intend to begin a 12 week cut, as I just get back into lifting. Been out of the game quite some time and really contemplated on whether to bulk or cut (I am about 220 lbs. @ an estimated 19% - 21% BF). Decided strength at this point is decent and that usage of a starting strength routine may allow me to combat losses of muscle/strength during the cut. And really, with the time I've been out, I'd say I'm a novice all over again. So here is what I've compiled as a base of a routine;

Day A
    Squats
    · 2x5 Warm-Up, 3x5 Working, 1x5 Back-Off.
    Bench Press
    · 1x5 Warm-Up, 3x5 Working, 1x5 Back-Off.
    Flyes
    · 1x5 Warm-Up, 2x5 Working, 2x5 Back-Off.
    Deadlifts
    · 2x5 Warm-Up, 2x5 Working.
    Seated Rows

Day B
    Squats
    · 2x5 Warm-Up, 3x5 Working, 1x5 Back-Off.
    Military Press
    Flyes
    Bent Over Rows
    Shoulder Shrugs

Routine alternates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the ABA-BAB pattern of Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Any feedback on the matter is appreciated!

abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So to sum it up, your #1 goal is to lose fat with a sub-goal of maintaining as much strength as possible. It also looks like you've been out for a while.

Good news is, you should be able to maintain or, most likely, gain strength during that 12 weeks. A lot of this will be through "noobie" gains which is effectively neural adaptation.

That said, I'm not sure why you are changing the program. Given you are looking to be on a cut, you are going to generally have less energy, not more than the surplus anticipated in the SS Program.

As a point of suggestion, do the program as it is outlined for the first 4 weeks minimum before you change anything. At that point, don't change what is in the program, but rather, add accessory work. For example, add 2-3 sets of dips at the end of bench-day and 2-3 sets of pull ups or chin-ups on press day.
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127231913

justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So if you're trying to cut and therefore will have less caloric intake and worse recovery, why would you add exercises and volume to an already demanding program? Failing to see the logic. If you want to get cut and do SS at the same time, then do the program as written, and use a carb cycling diet or something, but still expect to make little gains. What you've planned isn't going to work.
    "I'm just a lat guy, you know? I've got these amazing lats, and I'm just living in an ab guy's world." -Workaholics

anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anFranchise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by abg View Post
    So to sum it up, your #1 goal is to lose fat with a sub-goal of maintaining as much strength as possible. It also looks like you've been out for a while.

Good news is, you should be able to maintain or, most likely, gain strength during that 12 weeks. A lot of this will be through "noobie" gains which is effectively neural adaptation.

That said, I'm not sure why you are changing the program. Given you are looking to be on a cut, you are going to generally have less energy, not more than the surplus anticipated in the SS Program.

As a point of suggestion, do the program as it is outlined for the first 4 weeks minimum before you change anything. At that point, don't change what is in the program, but rather, add accessory work. For example, add 2-3 sets of dips at the end of bench-day and 2-3 sets of pull ups or chin-ups on press day.
    You've hit the goals on the head. In terms of my time away, I was about four years experienced lifting and have been away four years since then. During this four year time off I have periodically gone back for a month at a time ever six months or so (in a dying effort to get back into it, hopefully this effort is the real deal).

I am seriously hoping for "noobie" gains at this point, or what is more likely to be muscle memory. I am not looking to make too many changes; I did abandon cleans for the pursuit of rows, due to myself never having been taught to properly clean. This may be something I will segway into through the next few months, but at this point am weary.

Otherwise the major exercises remain the same as in the original routine. Instead of adding bodyweight auxiliary exercises like Rippetoe and yourself have suggested (dips, pull-ups, etc.) I've referred to other movements.

I am open to beginning with the routine as outlined traditionally, if not for any other reason that to get comfortable with the gym again. However; I have been to the gym three or four times the last month and know at this point what I am capable of.

Originally Posted by justroberson View Post
    So if you're trying to cut and therefore will have less caloric intake and worse recovery, why would you add exercises and volume to an already demanding program? Failing to see the logic. If you want to get cut and do SS at the same time, then do the program as written, and use a carb cycling diet or something, but still expect to make little gains. What you've planned isn't going to work.
    As both previous posts mention, I will be at a caloric deficit and reduced recovery. However; the volume and exercises added seem minimal to me. I've previously run a Starting Strength routine in the past and after a few weeks needed to add similar volume. As this progressed I continually needed to add volume to progress, until I simply had to veer from the routine.

I'm not looking to gain, as the previous poster identified muscle retention is a secondary goal. The primary goal in any case is weight loss. However; during this process I am trying not to have my lifts decrease (at all if possible). I am referring to starting strength to attempt to take advantage of just returning to the gym and see if lifts can progress, if not, I want them to remain as close to the same as possible.

From my experience of the Starting Strength routine, it is very squat orientated (one of the reasons I love it). However; upon return, I've noticed my squat is not that bad at this point, so I am trying to shift the attention elsewhere, while maintaining the concepts/benefits of a squat-centric routine. Over the last two weeks I've comfortably put up 365 lbs. on the squat for doubles and triples. This has been my starting max upon returning, so there is still opportunity of substantial improvement there.

In the same case, I cannot get much of a dead over 300 lbs. due to a piss poor grip, and my bench is struggling drastically (unlikely I push out 225 lbs. at this point).

abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50) abg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another recommendation would be on Wednesday (middle week-day, whichever it is for you), instead of doing your progression-oriented squats, do 80% of what you did on Monday. This should help with recovery.

I found at about 250lbs on deads I needed to switch to alternating grip for my working set. I do warm-ups with double-overhand, and each dead session I alternate which hand is supinated.
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127231913

Originally Posted by abg View Post
    Another recommendation would be on Wednesday (middle week-day, whichever it is for you), instead of doing your progression-oriented squats, do 80% of what you did on Monday. This should help with recovery.

I found at about 250lbs on deads I needed to switch to alternating grip for my working set. I do warm-ups with double-overhand, and each dead session I alternate which hand is supinated.
    I've always gone left under, right over and have always struggled with four or more reps on high weights. Might try double overhand, but always had it beat into my head not to do that. Going to take some programming of its own.