bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dumbbell Side Bends

I'm wondering what has been the experience of others with this exercise? Did it make any difference if you did them? I've read that some bodybuilders believe they just add to your waist and work against the tapered look that bodybuilders strive for. Others disagree. What's your take on this?

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bobs7447 View Post
    I'm wondering what has been the experience of others with this exercise? Did it make any difference if you did them? I've read that some bodybuilders believe they just add to your waist and work against the tapered look that bodybuilders strive for. Others disagree. What's your take on this?
    in all honesty, I've never seen a bodybuilder do these

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kimsquit View Post
    in all honesty, I've never seen a bodybuilder do these
    Me either.

The only people I see do these are ultra skinny teenage girls, and really fat people.

Building the obliques will make you look wider. If you want to look like a Greek statue, that's great. If you want to win a bodybuilding competition, I'd recommend against it.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wish I could do these, but I ruptured my QL so any attempt will result in me being immobilized for weeks.

They are excellent exercises for building your Quadratus Lumborum (QL I spoke of), along with your obliques. But you have to go easy on them because it's easy to hurt yourself.

beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Me either.

The only people I see do these are ultra skinny teenage girls, and really fat people.

Building the obliques will make you look wider. If you want to look like a Greek statue, that's great. If you want to win a bodybuilding competition, I'd recommend against it.
    QFT. I did them for a while and now wish I hadn't. Definitely made me look wider which is not what I'm looking for.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I guess put me in the fat people category. I'm not ever going to be competitive, let alone compete, so other people's standards of which muscles should and shouldn't be big don't really factor into it for me. I exercise my obliques like any other muscle. I don't know if it's a great exercise, but dumbbell side bends are a simple exercise for them. They're also a grip workout since I've stopped using straps. It's a race to see what gives out first, my obliques or my grip.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    I guess put me in the fat people category. I'm not ever going to be competitive, let alone compete, so other people's standards of which muscles should and shouldn't be big don't really factor into it for me. I exercise my obliques like any other muscle. I don't know if it's a great exercise, but dumbbell side bends are a simple exercise for them. They're also a grip workout since I've stopped using straps. It's a race to see what gives out first, my obliques or my grip.
    No offense intended. I was simply stating my own personal observations. I'm sure people of all sorts do that exercise, and if it helps you to achieve your own personal goals, then more power to you!
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No offense intended. I was simply stating my own personal observations.
    None taken. I just thought it was amusing that your observation applied in my case.

J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    None taken. I just thought it was amusing that your observation applied in my case.
    OT , that's one bitchin' beard you have there, rock on !

I can't grow one, it comes in all patchy...
    Jeff

"Over 40 Transformation Of The Week February 2010"
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-transformation-jeff-hodges.htm

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by beancntr View Post
    QFT. I did them for a while and now wish I hadn't. Definitely made me look wider which is not what I'm looking for.
    This will be the result^^^. The trainers at my gym have people do weighted side bends all the time it drives me nuts because people mistakenly think they will reduce their waist size by doing them. Wrong! Its just logic load a muscle with weight move it through its range of motion and what will happen? Growth thats the end result. I see the same mentality with abdominal exercises, you cannot reduce your waist size with these either yet thats the area that people focus on and the infomercials tell you to focus on. If you see it on TV it has to be true right? 60 seconds a day or 60 minutes, not going to work. A vigorous leg work out would do more to shrink your waist than any midsection exercise ever could. Just compare the percentage of your muscle mass used in a set of squats verses a set of weighted side bends or crunches. Which one will have a bigger metabolic effect? Seems like simple logic to me but I understand how confusing it can be in this world of marketing and misinformation.

bdruff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was just looking to see the opinion on these. I see everybody in the gym doing them. These and shrugs. Years ago, I met a guy that told me exactly what has been said here. He competed in body building contests and had a trainer. It was his trainer that had corrected him. He said you will grow that muscle but it doesn't have the desired look. I've never done them but I see everybody else so I wondered. Won't tel anybody not to, but I'm not doing them.

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try side planks to help with stability. I was showed these in therapy they helped alot with some issues i was having.
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Notevenlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can't remember where I read it, but apparently they don't even work your obliques, they work a muscle deep in your lower back.
    I actually do train legs, ignore username

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Muscles involved in the side plank include:
    Primary: transverse abdominus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles (abductors), the adductor muscles of the hip, and the external and internal obliques.[8]
    Secondary: gluteus maximus (glutes), quadriceps (quads), and hamstrings.
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigRowbin35 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Eh bobs7447 BigRowbin35 at your service. Just to shed some light on your question, dumbell side bends not only target your abs, buy also
    your obliques (the muscles at the sides of your waist). I can understand why there is a debate. Let me tell you bobs7447, if you do this
    movement with light dumbells your obliques should be fine, mind you if heavy dumbells are used the obliques, like any other muscle group
    will grow ruining one's v-taper.

I hope this information has been answered.

Keep training

BigRowbin35

Personal Trainer

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BigRowbin35 View Post
    Eh bobs7447 BigRowbin35 at Your service.
    Thank God! He's been waiting 6 years for you to come along!

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A good video on oblique training and why side bends aren't good for slimming the waist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VzCnJW1Meg
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BigRowbin35 View Post
    Eh bobs7447 BigRowbin35 at your service. Just to shed some light on your question, dumbell side bends not only target your abs, buy also
    your obliques (the muscles at the sides of your waist). I can understand why there is a debate. Let me tell you bobs7447, if you do this
    movement with light dumbells your obliques should be fine, mind you if heavy dumbells are used the obliques, like any other muscle group
    will grow ruining one's v-taper.

I hope this information has been answered.

Keep training

BigRowbin35

Personal Trainer
    Mr. BigRowbin35, Thank you for reviving this thread from the depths of the BB.com servers. In your opinion how big is too big of a dumbbell for this move? I see you referenced dumbbells plural would that be multiple small dumbbells in the same hand or one or two in each hand?

I would like to not lose my V taper but have been advised I could do side-bends and sit-ups by sir mix a lot....

I look forward to the information to my answer or however you say that

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    He's a Personal Trainer that can't read it appears
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I will personally come to your gym and bitch slap anyone who does these asinine sidebends, even worse is when these people do them with a weight in each hand.....whats the fukkin point?
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    I see you referenced dumbbells plural would that be multiple small dumbbells in the same hand or one or two in each hand?
    Since the intercostal and serratus are separate small bands of muscle, ideally you want to hold multiple small dumbells in each hand.

Pretty basic stuff.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think suitcase carry, or one arm - offset farmers walks would be a better use of time in the gym to build up strength and muscle:

The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl