ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Don't know if I need to cut or bulk?

Please don't nominate me for the dumbest thread ever but I really don't know.

I had surgery in January and did not lift for around 10 weeks and lost some muscle then. Thats a pretty updated pic in my avatar. I am 'toned' and have fairly nice definition. But my abs are not visible AT ALL and my quads are hidden underneath some flab.

I dont know if I need to bulk, in order to add muscle to my abs, legs, arms (they aren't as muscular as they used to be) so the muscle will be more visible. Or do I need to cut to get rid of the flab on my abs, legs, and all over so the muscle will be more visible.

Here is what I do: Lift 4-5 days a week, have 1 cardio day a week doing 30-45 min cardio, do about 15-30 minutes 4-5 days a week during lift days. I am almost 5'3" and 112-113 lbs. Eat about 1500 cal daily, 110-130 gr protein, 25-35 fat, 150-175 gr carbs (these are roundabout estimates) It is hard for me to gain muscle and hard for me to hold on to it.

I have this dream of being figure show ready by November and don't know if its possible or if thats too soon....even if I cant get quite that sixpacked and all by then I would like to get as close as possible. (wedding anniversary in Nov=special photos for hubby & anniversary vacation)

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it
    Last edited by faina00; 07-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    *IIFYM*

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you continue trying to cut, your end look will result in skinny. You don't have enough overall muscle on your frame to support the look. In order to be competitive in figure you're going to need more muscle. Bigger arms, capped delts, wider lats, with a good set of quads, hamms and glutes. The judges will be looking for overall muscle, symmetry, conditioning and a solid stage presentation of "your complete package."

You won't be ready for a show this Nov, you need a lot of time to do some serious building.

Under members look up screename (powerbarsssssss) She's your height and has been working really hard to build some solid muscle. I think she plans on competing next year and she will be ready. She's a good 17-18 lbs heavier then you...this will give you an idea of what you need to shoot for based on your height.

Good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Kimm4 gives good advice. The only thing that I would add is being careful to not put too much fat on while bulking. You'll want to increase your protein almost double what you are taking in now but keep your fat low from good sources. Lift as heavy as you can, try a trainer to get you on a good program. I'll bet you have a fantastic transformation. KUP, I'd like to see your results.
    "The world needs fighters; people who keep trying, have hope, and make an effort." Eve Blohm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I want to be an inspiration to all women. I've overcom many of life's challenges both physically and emotionally and came out on top! If I can do it, anyone can.

ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZandP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks Kimm4 and IronMom....

I have had a hard time figuring out how many calories is my magic number. I have come up with a different number depending on which calculator I use. I used to eat 1800 cal daily, then had surgery and went down to 1300 or so while I was completely inactive, then to 1500-1600 cal now that I work out again. I liked my lean look and thought if I stayed with a similarly low caloric intake once I started working out again I would be lean/cut/sixpacked but my theory did not really work, at least not the six pack part. I guess I still need to put on more muscle.

I have also realized I need to up my weights after reading powerbarsss journal, ever since my surgery I have barely been able to increase my weights, and it has been 3-4 months now that I have returned to lifting. I still can't seem to get above 35-40lbs for a shoulder press or 70lb squat, 40lb bicep curl (used to do much more) Maybe increasing caloricly will help me lift more?

I think you are right that IronMom I might need professional help There is a trainer who preps people for contests at my gym, I am thinking about hiring him for once a month to create my workouts (and maybe nutrition plan as he does this too). Problem is that I workout at 3 gyms and home, depending whats convenient for me at the time, so if I can just hire him to make these for me, I can do them on my own or with my hubby.

Until then, how does this look for a bulk? These are some numbers I played with according to one calculation:

200 gr protein
    125 gr carbs
    55 gr fat
    1800 cal for now (dont want to increase too drastically too fast)
    5 meals daily
    40pr and 30carb for 4 meals
    40 pr for last meal
    fit in fat where I can
    Last edited by faina00; 07-07-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    *IIFYM*

IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000) IronMom is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like the idea that you have a trainer available to you, def do that. The diet looks fine, my only reservation is going from 1300 to 1800. It seems like a big jump and if you are not lifting heavy, it may go to fat. IMHO, I'd increase by 100 cals every 2 weeks. Also add creatine too. You may see a jump in your lifting. Patience is a factor that is difficult for most people but this journey is a slow one. As you said originally, our bodies are different from one another so you will use your body as your own personal experiment. Try small changes and log what happens. There's no doubt heavy lifting will give you the results that you want but increase the diet slowly. HTH.
    "The world needs fighters; people who keep trying, have hope, and make an effort." Eve Blohm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I want to be an inspiration to all women. I've overcom many of life's challenges both physically and emotionally and came out on top! If I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks IronMom! I will be going from 1500/1600 to 1800. 1300 was during my surgery phase. I have been doing this for years and years....before my surgery I even lifted heavier than some women I would say who had MUCH more mass than me....yet I have generally still been skinny. I agree that a trainer is needed to see what needs to be done different, hope it helps. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by IronMom View Post
    I like the idea that you have a trainer available to you, def do that. The diet looks fine, my only reservation is going from 1300 to 1800. It seems like a big jump and if you are not lifting heavy, it may go to fat. IMHO, I'd increase by 100 cals every 2 weeks. Also add creatine too. You may see a jump in your lifting. Patience is a factor that is difficult for most people but this journey is a slow one. As you said originally, our bodies are different from one another so you will use your body as your own personal experiment. Try small changes and log what happens. There's no doubt heavy lifting will give you the results that you want but increase the diet slowly. HTH.
    *IIFYM*