henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ATG squat vs parallel squat!

So I started ATG squat and its a lot harder than parallel. Had to drop like 100 lbs lol. anyhow my back is hurting and is wondering is it due to me having weak back or just bad form when doin ATG? ATG squats are very difficult for me because tall and not use to the motion. Advice?

warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your lower back is most likely rounding. Everyone who I've ever gotten to go ATG who has tight/weak glutes and tight hamstrings has an issue with their lower back rounding slightly or extremely.

Depending on how much rounding is occuring and where in the lift it happens, you potentially can ignore it if it's a tiny bit and doesnt compromise the bracing of your core, or you may have to stop going ATG and stick to going parallel.

Tell me, how do you breathe when you squat and how to you brace your core?

This is hard for me to explain without actually being there to tell you, so forgive me if this sounds stupid (plus I just did one **** of a conditioning workout so I'm hazy). If you brace your core properly, ie) Take a deep breath and push your stomach out (if you were wearing a weight lifting belt, you'd feel your stomach and obliques push against the belt), and then squat, would you be able to go ATG while doing that? If you can't, the problem is tightness in the glutes and hamstrings most likely.

Again, without being there and assessing you it's trick, but it's the most common thing that comes to mind.

That or you're a pussy. But you're squatting ATG, so that can't be the issue . haha

Edit:

Forgot to add the solution, if the above is your problem.

To help with the rounding you need to get your hip mobility up a few notches, as since your hips can't move properly, your lower back is compensating for range of motion. You're going to have to google a lot of the below, but that way you learn what you don't already know.

Stretch the following twice a day for 30 seconds (when you wake up as part of your morning routine, and before bed works. If you can do another two during the day go for it. The more you do, the quicker you'll get better):

Hip flexors
    Glutes
    Piriformis
    Hamstrings (sprinter stretch is my favourite)

Foam roll the following every day until you are in a puddle of your own tears. When you stop crying from the pain, you can stop rolling.... that or 25 slow rolls up and down the muscle will suffice .

Hamstrings
    Quads
    ITB
    Glutes (use the same "pose" (Leg crossed and bent) as the piriformis video below)

Take a baseball or if you're in America a lacrosse ball to your Piriformis. Look up on youtube "self myofacial release piriformis lacrosse ball". That'l get you a video on the technique to use. Then look up an anatomical image in google to see where you're actually aiming to roll the ball around. Note: This hurts like hell, all the time. I've never had a pain free time doing this, nor has anyone else (including the physios I work with). Push through it for about 1 minute and you'll feel the difference in a few days time once the bastard starts to loosen up.

Perform the following before every lower body workout you do until the day you die. You have to do these with correct form or they're going to do **** all for you, so that means tensing and focusing on firing your glutes correctly each time you do a rep. This could potentially take a few weeks to happen if it doesnt fire correctly already, but persevere.

Fire Hydrants (15 reps each way each leg, so 60 total reps)
    Donkey Kicks (15 reps each leg)
    Supine Bridges (15 reps, drive through your heels, not the balls of your feet)
    Mountain Climbers (stretch your crotch well)
    Leg Swings - Side to side, back to front and at a 45 degree angle. 15 reps, each way, each leg. So in total 90 reps. Sounds like a lot, will take you about 2 minutes to do.

The first exercise you do before you squat should be some band Terminal Knee Extension's aswell. I've been doing 3x20 reps myself lately as I haven't been doing backward sled drags as much, so it works like a charm to help keep knee stability during the lift. I can feel the difference the days I do them and the day I don't. Your call on it. I think it may have been EliteFTS, but they did an article a few weeks back on why these kick arse. They take 5 minutes and can help prevent some stupid injuries long term.

Otherwise with that, you should be good to go. At least it's better than nothing!
    Last edited by warrior136; 05-01-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: I am a douche of canoe, forgot to add corrective stuff
    Strength and Conditioning Coach from hell. :)

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by henh2o View Post
    So I started ATG squat and its a lot harder than parallel. Had to drop like 100 lbs lol. anyhow my back is hurting and is wondering is it due to me having weak back or just bad form when doin ATG? ATG squats are very difficult for me because tall and not use to the motion. Advice?
    Read this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=466956291
    and it will solve your problems
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10) warrior136 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by djartek View Post
    Read this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=466956291
    and it will solve your problems
    Or watch all the videos in that thread if you can't be arsed reading my war and peace post.
    Strength and Conditioning Coach from hell. :)

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by henh2o View Post
    First of all:going ATG is not a neccessity.
    And if ppl call u a p*ssy for not going that low,kindly tell them to go f*ck themselvz.
    Going very low,if your body and flexibility allows,will affect more of your glutes and hams.But it doesnt make it a "must" exercise to do.
    Going parallel,or slightly below,is how most ppl do it,with great results.
    So again,if you are having pain,or some other problem,you do NOT need to go "ATG".
    It is also not unusuall for ATG to cause both short and long term knee problems,esp. in tall ppl like you.Not saying that will definately happen to you or someone else,but its good to know.
    You will not be losing out,by doing "normal" depth squats.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) henh2o has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the great advice guys! reviewing those exercises and looking at the link!