Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Torn Meniscus and Leg Workouts/Running

Just looking for some advice until I can get my knee checked out again. Long story short: about a year ago I injured my knee, and most likely tore my meniscus (although this has not yet been confirmed by MRI, but mainly by symptoms and examination by Dr.) Although it's not constantly in pain, it will "catch" every couple of months, causing me a few days of light pain/swelling (nothing major).

The thing about it though is that my knee never hurts while squatting/pressing/running, etc. Every time my knee has locked, it has been while sitting down in a chair doing something harmless, like reading. For people with similar injuries or expertise, would you think it would be okay to keep working out my legs, as long as I'm not in pain or using too much weight? Would it be a good idea to get a knee brace? Also, when it does "catch", I take a week or two off from doing squats just in case, and when I do return there is no pain.

Windfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't really reply to threads at all, but in this case I really think I can help.

Now I do not know where you damaged your meniscus, but I assume that it is on the inside of the patalla (kneecap). In that case, and if the MRI can prove it, you would benefit greatly from going to a physiotherapist and have him loosen up the ligaments/tendons holding your patella in place.

I had the same problem, and this method has completely removed any pain and discomfort

Further more your should remember to stretch your quads after every single workout.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Windfield; 02-26-2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Is... is his body crying? No... I think it is called "to sweat".

Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bassist66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Windfield View Post
    I don't really reply to threads at all, but in this case I really think I can help.

Now I do not know where you damaged your meniscus, but I assume that it is on the inside of the patalla (kneecap). In that case, and if the MRI can prove it, you would benefit greatly from going to a physiotherapist and have him loosen up the ligaments/tendons holding your patella in place.

I had the same problem, and this method has completely removed any pain and discomfort

Further more your should remember to stretch your quads after every single workout.

Hope this helps.
    Hmm actually most of my pain is on the outside part of the knee (lateral meniscus). I do stretch well before my workouts, which probably helps prevent me from damaging it.

Windfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not familiar this kind of pain, but it doesn't sound like you are about to get a tear.

Still ask your doctor about going to a physiotherapist. Ultrasound, electro therapy and manual mobilization can work wonders.
    Is... is his body crying? No... I think it is called "to sweat".