tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

HUGE problems sleeping

So I have a lot going on lately emotionally and my mind races so much when i try to sleep. Also waking up during middle of night. Most nights I wake up about 4 am and fight to sleep till 5 am when I wake for my morning cardio. I've been working on going to bed about same time, between 9-10 pm. I can struggle sometimes for an hour or more and its wearing on me. Only thing I feel sometimes helps is im a tv watcher in bed but trying ween myself off it slowly. Having the ceiling fan sorta helps for the whole noise in the background thing.

With that being said, looking around here I did order some ZMA. Think it used to help me back in the day and seems to have so so results in people.

My question....what are some of you guys taking to help sleep and stay sleeping? Side effects and thoughts?

And the ZMA says to take like an hour before bed on empty stomach. most nights my protein shake is like 30 mins before bed so wondering if this is an issue.
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I take my protein before my zma, I have not had any problems with it. I have also taken my ZMA right before getting into bed and again, no problems.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suffer from early morning waking. As I become awake (usually 3-5 am) I begin to think about life, and all the little things going on in it. Granted, I have no real issues, and am virtually stress free, but I still think about stuff.

I used to have allergies to pain medication, and would take Amitriptyline for pain relief, as it's a non-narcotic with some headache pain relieving properties.

Anyhow, this medication would make me drowsy, so I asked my doc if he minded me taking it at bedtime. I have 10 mg (used to be 5 mg but I developed some tolerance) on weeknights and 20 mg on weekends. I take it right before bedtime and sleep right through to the alarm. No leftover drowsiness or any other weird effects.
    You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there - Edwin Louis Cole

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use Melatonin. It helps a lot. No sides for me.

mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by clicker666 View Post
    I suffer from early morning waking. As I become awake (usually 3-5 am) I begin to think about life, and all the little things going on in it. Granted, I have no real issues, and am virtually stress free, but I still think about stuff.

I used to have allergies to pain medication, and would take Amitriptyline for pain relief, as it's a non-narcotic with some headache pain relieving properties.

Anyhow, this medication would make me drowsy, so I asked my doc if he minded me taking it at bedtime. I have 10 mg (used to be 5 mg but I developed some tolerance) on weeknights and 20 mg on weekends. I take it right before bedtime and sleep right through to the alarm. No leftover drowsiness or any other weird effects.
    I do this same thing. I started taking over the counter sleeping pills--the stuff that's in Nyquil. It worked like a charm for a few years. Now that I'm working out, I've had troubles again even on the pills.

jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jalapen0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have all those problems with sleep. Found out I have 2 things. First, Anxiety disorder. Second, Sleep Apnea.

Dunno if you have either, but you might think about your symptoms and see your doctor. They can help on both issues.

mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mlp_22531 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jalapen0 View Post
    I have all those problems with sleep. Found out I have 2 things. First, Anxiety disorder. Second, Sleep Apnea.

Dunno if you have either, but you might think about your symptoms and see your doctor. They can help on both issues.
    Good suggestion. I don't think I have mental health disorder, but I'm borderline ADD. I just can't turn off my brain sometimes.

BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was having trouble sleeping too a while back. Started taking melatonin (3 mg, timed release). I think it helps me sleep better (deeper). Take it about 30 minutes before bed...
    "Consistency, hard work and dedication is the key to success"

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i was also looking into melatonin at the time and will keep it in mind.

i do have a physical with the dr. coming up so will run this by time.

appreciate all the responses.
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Savageheart73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
    I use Melatonin. It helps a lot. No sides for me.
    ^^THIS. Used it for quiet a while, You can buy it from like 1,3,5 mgs. I started on 1s and had to go to 3 after a while of usage. I could probably do better with 5s now. But definitely helped with sleep issues. Natural, non-drug option
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the hard may be; for without victory there is no survival."
    - Winston Churchill

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mlp_22531 View Post
    Good suggestion. I don't think I have mental health disorder, but I'm borderline ADD. I just can't turn off my brain sometimes.
    I have the same issue and was prescribed ***** but I don't like to take it if I don't have to. I found that benedryl will give me the same sedative effect and it's OTC. I take 25mgs liquid bendryl immediately before bed, and Im sleeping like a champ.
    If this were easy, everyone would do it!

JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    About a year ago I was going through a very stressful time in my life and for about a week I couldnt sleep. It was awful and wouldnt wish it on anyone. I called my doctor and practically begged him for a solution and he prescribed something called trazadone. It was a godsend and I finally got a good nights rest. I cant believe that some people have chronic insomnia and deal with this their whole life. Eventually things calmed down for me and I took less and less and I have been off it for the past few months and have normal sleeping patterns now. Very scary stuff, I would definetly talk to you doctor.

folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Talk to a Doc. I had a hard time sleeping once. My Doc put me on ******. Used it for about a week and never had to again. It knocks you the blank out. And the over the counter type stuff always made me feel bleck the next day.

Doc's advice=good

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I can relate

I, too, suffered from insomnia, especially while going through my divorce and the following first year. I was prescribed trazadone, which helped me sleep, and I never became dependent on it. As my stress decreased, I switched to Excedrin PM, which also worked well. Now that I have healed from the divorce trauma, and adjusted to my new life and my kids are under control and doing well, I sleep like a baby without having to take anything. I will never forget how lack of sleep impacts a person's life. I mean it affects everything. Your quality of life goes out the window. My heart goes out to you. I hope you can get a handle on your personal problems. God knows, I've been there. I hate taking medication, but the alternative of living like that was bleak, to say the least. Hoping you find a solution....

Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did not sleep more the 4 hours a night for over 12 years and before I started working out. Now I sleep 8 hours a night due to my working out so I guess I may be in the minority in this thread. I do hope you all some how get the sleep you crave and need. I know how it is to sleep like crap for many years, it really sucks.
    Viper098

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In a word - Imovane. Or zopiclone (OK....that's two words....)

Absolutely the best meds I've come across to assist in the establishment of a natural sleep rhythm with a duration between 6-8 hours with no sedatory/habituation effects.

Many patients report excellent results with almost no side effects.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dain_Bramage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I currently take Valerian root and melatonin. Valerian root helps me relax and turn my mind off. Without it I can't get back to sleep when I wake around 3am.

hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000) hope2bme is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would not suggest using it on a regular basis, but Dramamine (motion sickness medication) knocks me unconscious on those rare occassions that I can't get to sleep on my own. I haven't noticed any side effects such as lingering drowsiness and you can get it over the counter.
    "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
    The Princess Bride

"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." ~ James A. Michener

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121303391
    Does this journal make my butt look big?!?

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dain_Bramage View Post
    ....root helps me relax and turn my mind off.
    I agree, a root generally relaxes me pretty much too.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
    So I have a lot going on lately emotionally and my mind races so much when i try to sleep. Also waking up during middle of night. Most nights I wake up about 4 am and fight to sleep till 5 am when I wake for my morning cardio. I've been working on going to bed about same time, between 9-10 pm. I can struggle sometimes for an hour or more and its wearing on me. Only thing I feel sometimes helps is im a tv watcher in bed but trying ween myself off it slowly. Having the ceiling fan sorta helps for the whole noise in the background thing.

With that being said, looking around here I did order some ZMA. Think it used to help me back in the day and seems to have so so results in people.

My question....what are some of you guys taking to help sleep and stay sleeping? Side effects and thoughts?

And the ZMA says to take like an hour before bed on empty stomach. most nights my protein shake is like 30 mins before bed so wondering if this is an issue.
    You mentioned that you have a lot going on emotionally. Does this look like it will be a long term issue or one that will be resolved soon. If it is that latter you likely don't need to do a thing. If it is the former then you have the option of the OTCs that have been mentioned or you can see your Dr. for a Sedative/Hypnotic like ***** or a ******. That would be my last choice

If they are more long term issues, then seeing a therapist to help you process the issues can do wonders. That way the problems are not swimming around in your head as much at night. The ADHD/ADD can play a role as well. People with this type of brain are more easily overwhelmed and Anxiety/Depression often co-occur with ADHD. Sometimes this is resolved with by using the stimulant meds that are usually prescribed for the disorder. The idea being that you can manage your issues in a more effective way during your waking hours so that they are not an issue for your sleeping hours.

That being said here are some basic things that you can do or not do:

Set a regular sleep schedule for both going to sleep and waking up. DO NOT break this up on the weekends. Do not break this schedule even if you had a terrible night sleep.

Do not nap during the day to catch up on sleep that you missed the day before.

Do not stay in your bed struggling to sleep for longer than one hour night after night. If you can't fall asleep get out of bed and do something non-stimulating (this means stay off the computer) like reading a book or watching something rather boring on tv. If and when you feel tired again then go back to bed. Repeat as needed

Using the tv to focus a racing mind is not a bad thing if it works to stop all of the thought juggling that is going on in your head. People with ADD often use the tv for this purpose.

Decrease stimulant use and none after 3pm. This includes your ADHD meds if you are taking any.

Writing the thoughts down in a journal can also get them out of your head and calm the brain. It is another form of processing.

Get a physical with blood work to make sure things like your Thyroid are ok.

Hope this helps!