thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Supplement vs Chicken

If a calorie is a calorie, then drinking a whey shake with 20G of protein in it, is just as beneficial as the 20 G of protein you would get from some chicken, right?

So technically could you get the same results without eating natural foods, just using weight gainers and other supplement type foods?

tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdom123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just always opt for whole foods over supplements, more complete proteins in whole foods, the only good thing about protein supplements is convenience.

finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by thisiseasy View Post
    If a calorie is a calorie, then drinking a whey shake with 20G of protein in it, is just as beneficial as the 20 G of protein you would get from some chicken, right?

So technically could you get the same results without eating natural foods, just using weight gainers and other supplement type foods?

Chicken has other nutrients, it's not just protein. Protein supplements should just be used to supplement a existing diet, they shouldn't be the only contents of the diet.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Variety is important. There is no need to unnecessarily restrict your diet to only a handful of foods.

thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by finOx View Post
    Chicken has other nutrients, it's not just protein. Protein supplements should just be used to supplement a existing diet, they shouldn't be the only contents of the diet.
    But if the important things in a diet are Protein/Carbs/Fats and you know around what the optimal level of P/C/F has to be for your size/goals... couldn't you get them all from supplements and a multi?

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Variety is important. There is no need to unnecessarily restrict your diet to only a handful of foods.
    Why is variety important, other than the mental aspect?

Can the body tell?

finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    But if the important things in a diet are Protein/Carbs/Fats and you know around what the optimal level of P/C/F has to be for your size/goals... couldn't you get them all from supplements and a multi?
    I guess as long as your body got what it needed through a diet consisting of supplements and a multi, but why would you want to do that? Do you not like chicken, or food for that matter?

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why is variety important, other than the mental aspect?

Can the body tell?
    Yes the body can tell

There is a significant difference in nutrient absorption from whole foods compared to supplements

I guess as long as your body got what it needed through a diet consisting of supplements and a multi, but why would you want to do that? Do you not like chicken, or food for that matter?
    haha no way, I love food.

I am just wondering why people say variety is important and that whole foods will provide better gains than supps.

Pure curiousity.

Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    Yes the body can tell

There is a significant difference in nutrient absorption from whole foods compared to supplements
    Ahhh, good to know.

Is this proven or speculatory?

Ahhh, good to know.

Found this... not sure of validity:

"-The Journal of Nutrition in 2004 conducted a study on rats that were fed tomatoes and broccoli. Prostate tumors grew less in rats fed a combination of tomatoes and broccoli versus rats who were fed tomatoes and broccoli on its own. They even isolated and removed the cancer fighting substances found in tomatoes and broccoli and fed them to the rats, but they were ineffective. The point I'm trying to make is, a lycopene (the potent nutrient in tomatoes) supplement might be useful, but the whole tomato is better, and that tomato with a bit of fat is even better, but that tomato with a bit of fat and some broccoli is so much better. Why exactly? Scientists are still unsure but it's all attributed to food synergy."

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ahhh, good to know.

It's pretty consistent in literature as far as I know, one of my professors did an experiment himself with Vitamin E and free radical damage in muscle cells.

Two groups of rats were used with one being fed a diet rich in vitamin E foods, the other not.

They then supplemented the rats deficient in Vitamin E with acute dosages you would see in multi-vitamins.

They then forced the rats to perform a series of lengthening contractions causing a lot of muscle damage which releases blood-borne markers of damage, I think they measured lactate dehydrogenase for this experiment

The rats supplemented with Vitamin E had LDH levels several hundred percentage points higher on average than the rats with Vitamin E rich diets, which most likely means free radical damage of the muscle cell membranes were much higher in the supplemented rats

It still is a theory as we don't know exactly why but the results I have seen(not too much mind you I'm just a student) are consistent.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Additionally, if you eat foods you enjoy, you are much more likely to consistently eat "according to plan" or "clean" or whatever term you like. Bottom line, you are less likely to fall off the wagon and be susceptible to binges....so yeah, the mental aspect should not be ignored. But yeah, what the other guys said is important.

devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yup. there is a reason these items we are putting in our bodies are called "dietary supplements".
    "An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bull$hi?." - General George Patton Jr
    -------------------------------
    rep and you shall receive.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, I would think you would probably need more supps than just that if you wanted protein shakes to do it for you. Fiber is the first thing to come to mind. Second would be the hope that your multi is broad enough to have everything you need and not just most of what you need. And then you are basically getting zero fat, unless you're adding it to your shake.

Also, you'd be a horrible person to go out for food with.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10) hittnthegym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    I deffinitly think variety is important. I crave different foods after a while, healthy foods though...

BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000)
    Let me put it like this...

Right now I'm with out whey protein.. or for that matter any kind of protein shake powder/supplement...

I'm eating a **** ton of chicken because that's what I have... I can eat from like 3-5 breast easy mixed with various other protein sources.

If I had a good whey I could drop two of those breast and maybe just limit it to 1-2 breast.

I'd still prefer to get the majority of my calories from wholesome foods but Protein Supplements can make life a bit more easy and affordable.

Also, the timing involved with something like whey protein comes into play. Though it may be a calorie is a calorie... they are not all created the same or digested the same.

The high digestion rate of whey makes it an ideal shake for post work out.

Anyway, best of luck hope this helps.

--- Edit ----

It would seem that my tiredness has effected my want to read the entire post
    I'd highly recommend not replacing your diet with just whey or for that matter supplements.
    It would be retarded and unhealthy.
    Don't be that guy!

:P
    Last edited by BloodRaged; 12-29-2009 at 04:11 PM.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whey always makes my stomach act funny if it is all I eat.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...