Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) autonoma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Any benefits to partial squats?

Hi All,

I do squats basically hips a little below knees, so I go down. Which I was taught to do since I started squats. However, I was wondering if it was more benefitial to do partial squats since you can do more weights. I imagine doing it below parallel works my glutes and hams, which I target on other exercises. For quads, could partial squats be better?
    Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by autonoma View Post
    Hi All,

I do squats basically hips a little below knees, so I go down. Which I was taught to do since I started squats. However, I was wondering if it was more benefitial to do partial squats since you can do more weights. I imagine doing it below parallel works my glutes and hams, which I target on other exercises. For quads, could partial squats be better?
    Yes, for many.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi All,

They could.

This thread will not end well

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi All,

For quads in a partial squat, IMO, you're getting the same benefits as a squats below the knees, but you decrease the potential of injury.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Drinman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Kiss your knees goodbye.
    "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe. The majority of tools I see squatting at my gym move about two inches. They may know something we don't.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I never really could get a straight answer and I believe it is because there is not one. Many factors involving knees and goals will probably shift the favor from one to another.

Anyway I perform wide heavy squat sets on a box (or bench) followed by sets of ATG style lighter. There are differences in certain areas regarding both styles so I decided to use both as long as my knees will hold up

I will say though that going 1/2 way for me regarding either style does place extra stress on my knee.

My 2 cents

Good luck!
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    squat down as low as you can

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rehab purposes or beginners learning proper form.

Just a note: Istan Javorek used Wave Squats (partial squats) in many of his programs.

I tried one of his programs & really saw the results a few weeks later. Man those wave squats really push a lot of blood into the Quads.

dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dos531 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I asked my orthopedic surgeon who did the surgeries on my knees, and he didn't recommend I go past 90 degrees. I tried to do atg to see how it felt and i could barely walk the next day my knees hurt so bad. I think the general consensus is if you can do full squats they will give the best results. Unfortunately, I cant.

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dos531 View Post
    I asked my orthopedic surgeon who did the surgeries on my knees, and he didn't recommend I go past 90 degrees. I tried to do atg to see how it felt and i could barely walk the next day my knees hurt so bad. I think the general consensus is if you can do full squats they will give the best results. Unfortunately, I cant.
    I don't think that's the general consensus.

devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devotchkas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes it is.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by devotchkas View Post
    Yes it is.
    Women aren't included in the general conscensus.
    haha, JK.

Partials are a great way to end a set. Just to get a few more burn reps in there.

WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WQ87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For some people, going below parallel will round their lower back, regardless of how much of an arch they try to maintain. Rounding your lower back is BAD, especially when you have over twice your body weight pushing on your spine.
    Abs are made in the kitchen!

Yes of course, just like doing bench dips with no weight is a good way to end your set but it's not going to get you very far by itself.

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi All,

There is merit in performing partial squats for the purpose you're suggesting, amongst other reasons. I wouldn't only perform partials, though. Full squats are ideal as well, plus variations between front/back alter the focus of stimulus as well.

Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000) Bantropic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WQ87 View Post
    For some people, going below parallel will round their lower back, regardless of how much of an arch they try to maintain. Rounding your lower back is BAD, especially when you have over twice your body weight pushing on your spine.
    That is a poor excuse for refraining from full range of motion squats.

Flexibility would solve that problem.

Originally Posted by devotchkas View Post
    Yes it is.
    By full squats, I assumed the poster meant "ATG squats" because that's what he was referring to. There is no general agreement that ATG squats are better than parallel squats.

The questions is better for what? It all depends on your goals.

mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mattg1993 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ATG, to better induce hypertrophy. Partial squats allow your legs to rest longer for the duration of a set.

What doesn't kill me..... AbAbber2k's Avatar
    AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000)
    ATG OR GTFO!!@!#

Now that I have that out of the way...

Partials are good for rehab situations, for finishing off a set, for targeting the quads or for burning out the legs in METCON situations (really gets the blood pumping). HEAVY partials can also sometimes help break through a plateau. That said, working up to a good solid full ROM (as your personal biomechanics allow) should always be the foundation of training any motion.
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    AKC Kettlebell Coach, CST Coach
    BS Kinesiology, Washington State University

justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    TO focus more on quads why not just do either front squats, or heavy oly squats? These seem to be good alternatives to a potentially risky partial which may and probably would lead to more knee injuries, and may also not have any added benefit to quad hypertrophy.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

Originally Posted by Nicolas_Hart View Post
    That is a poor excuse for refraining from full range of motion squats.

Flexibility would solve that problem.
    How would flexibility solve the problem of a weak Core/Lower back , which is the transducer of the load from the upper body to the lower body? (Typically losing your "form" by rounding your lower back is due to a weak core. )

I agree flexibility will help a bit , but not enough to replace Core strength.

IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000) IDNeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Full squats are always going to be at a lesser weight than you can do with partial squats, so think of it as shorting yourself for range of motion, it's not necessarily damaging to the knees to do full squats.

But to get some real thickness partial squats, like half squats, are also useful to load the weight.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You will often round your back due to either a poor kinesthic sense (positional awareness), or due to a lack of flexibility in the hamstrings and hip flexors. Correcting the two issues will generally lead to a decent back position in a full squat.

I don't go ATG, but I do go below parallel. More muscle used and easier on my knees.
    GOMAD!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi All,

Well, as you go lower, the rectus femoris becomes useless in the squat.
    At the top, it has some effect.

However, if you want to focus a bit on the quads, how about some sissy squats after regular squats?

If you do regular squats first, then the Vastus portion of the quad will be fatigued and you will have to rely on the rectus femoris to do more work.

Good luck.

Vastus:

Rectus femoris:
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nick041881 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squatting parallel does place more strain on your knee because to are stopping the weight and starting the weight at parallel where your knee joint is under maximum stress. going below parallel is easier on the joint because as you are starting and stopping the joint at a point of less stress. I have no evidence to support any of this!

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I already know that every ATG nazi is on here preaching the good word of ATG but...

How can anyone discount using partial reps as a tool to gain greater strength and size?
    Most powerlifters do rack pulls (partial movement) board presses (partial) floor presses (partial) box squats and so on and so forth.

I just think the whole, you do ATG or your a puss, routine is way over board. We all know what a full squat is but that doesnt mean you have to eliminate every other movement because a bunch of idiots that come to the gym doing quarter squats and state they can squat 600 pounds for 12 reps. I still believe that there is a benefit to loading up a bar with heavy weight and doing partials as an supplementary lift.

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    How would flexibility solve the problem of a weak Core/Lower back , which is the transducer of the load from the upper body to the lower body? (Typically losing your "form" by rounding your lower back is due to a weak core. )

I agree flexibility will help a bit , but not enough to replace Core strength.
    Who said anything about poor core stability / strength? - I was referring to a rounded back on the basis of further squat depth - which is almost always a flexibility issue. If I was discussing squat load variations, that might be a different story.

I'm well aware of the implications a weak core, and am also well aware of its function.
    Last edited by Nicolas_Hart; 12-14-2009 at 05:26 AM.

kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Rap_Rocky View Post
    For quads in a partial squat, IMO, you're getting the same benefits as a squats below the knees, but you decrease the potential of injury.
    This thread has been done many times before. Arlecchino has repeatedly posted links to peer-reviewed studies (science!) which show the opposite. Shear forces on the knees decrease when performing a full range-of-motion squat, while partial squats increase the shear forces on the knees.

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post
    I already know that every ATG nazi is on here preaching the good word of ATG but...

How can anyone discount using partial reps as a tool to gain greater strength and size?
    Most powerlifters do rack pulls (partial movement) board presses (partial) floor presses (partial) box squats and so on and so forth.
    Are these apples like those oranges?

Rack pulls are for hip drive and overcoming a sticking point. Board presses are for lifters with good off the chest strength but weaker chest and tris. Box squats teach a lifter how to use glutes to drive out of the hole.

All are used to train sticking points in their respective lifts. How many people get stuck at a quarter squat position?