Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)

Another "proper bench press form" thread

Before you start and tell me to use the search function, read through what I've got to say.

The other day, I used my complimentary hour with a personal trainer up. I asked him to critique my form on a number of exercises, and tried to use it as a "correct me if I'm wrong" sort of thing.

I asked him what he thought about the powerlifting form of benching involving an arched back, and he told me that it's not safe and that I'll eventually damage my lower back (since powerlifters apparently "always use bench shirts," which they don't). While I realize there is an inherent risk with any exercise dealing with heavy weight, I didn't feel like he could adequately explain why it's worse than normal benching. Still, knowing that he's a personal trainer, I figured he might have sound reasoning (considering he trained varsity football players at BC, among other things).

So, my question to all you 300+ bench people is this: what do you do? Do you have any contraindications for PL-form benching?
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Proper benching form for maximum chest activity.

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post

Your benching form is probally the reason why you are not getting the chest gains you want. Your probally "trying" to train your chest, but end up training you front delts and triceps due to your form.

Here is proper benching form on how to increase stress on the pectorials and limit front deltoid and tricep involvement.

- Drop your traps and shoulders down

- Pinch your shoulder blades together

- Puff your chest up

- Drop elbows down slightly under the nipple.

(by having your elbows up high at 90 degrees like how most people bench you will notice much less stress is being applyed to the chest and the front deltoids are being worked much more. Also lowering your elbows will increase your bench, just take a look at how the power lifters bench all with there elbows low, the higher your elbows the more front deltiod involvement, the lower your elbows the more chest involvement)

- Dont lock out or roll the shoulders.
    (if you follow the steps above you shouldent be able to roll your shoulders anyway, but its always best to stop short just before lock out. Why? When locking out the stress is removed from the pectorials and placed on the elbow joints, also the top ROM of the bench press is more triceps and front deltoids, thats why when you see pros benching like Ronnie Coleman you notice he dosent lock out his elbows)

- If using dumbells slightly rotate your thumbs upwards
    (put your hands out infront of you and turn up your thumbs just a little, this is the angle you want to hold the dumbells at, so that even less deltoid is being involved, this is why i prefer DB over BB)

Follow these steps and it will hit your chest.

Also watch this video by Charles Glass, he explains quite good on how to have maximum stress on the chest and limit your front delt and tricep involvement.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Proper benching form for maximum chest activity.
    And yet you still entirely failed to even address my question.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post
    i use it and i do not have any problems with my back nor do i feel any strain there. to me i feel the lift more in my chest than when my back is flat. i guess if your form was bad you might but as long as you are controlling the weight properly i do not think it will harm you. but i am still young so i couldnt tell you if it might screw you up in the long run

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A powerlifting arch is used to cut ROM, remember that. It's always preached as some proper and safer way to bench(usually accompanied by a hardcore Dave Tate video), in reality there's only one reason to use an exaggerated arch like that.
    "It seems like your goal is not to help."

log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147517853&p=960218773&viewfull=1#post960218773

400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AHTTG View Post
    A powerlifting arch is used to cut ROM, remember that. It's always preached as some proper and safer way to bench(usually accompanied by a hardcore Dave Tate video), in reality there's only one reason to use an exaggerated arch like that.
    how exagerrated an arch? i was talking about something a little more than natural arch but not by a lot lol.

Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MAPjunky View Post
    how exagerrated an arch? i was talking about something a little more than natural arch but not by a lot lol.

You will know it when you see it. Watch some powerlifting meets and you will understand. They get the midsection out there almost looks as if their butt is going to leave the bench. Amazing how they don't get hurt.

I am not brave enough to try something like that.

But not all powerlifters go to such extremes.

Originally Posted by Clifford-James View Post
    You will know it when you see it. Watch some powerlifting meets and you will understand. They get the midsection out there almost looks as if their butt is going to leave the bench. Amazing how they don't get hurt.

yeah i just googled a couple. kind of extreme lol. it looks like they are going to snap in half

yeah i just googled a couple. kind of extreme lol. it looks like they are going to snap in half
    Are you watching the REALLY heavy lifts where they're using shirts, or just raw?
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:

Are you watching the REALLY heavy lifts where they're using shirts, or just raw?
    i only watched 3 random ones on youtube. dont know what the "shirts" really look like but one was donig his in a loose fitting t-shirt with the sleeves cut out. hold on i will see if i can find it and post the link. sorry dont know how to imbed

i only watched 3 random ones on youtube. dont know what the "shirts" really look like but one was donig his in a loose fitting t-shirt with the sleeves cut out. hold on i will see if i can find it and post the link. sorry dont know how to imbed
    Ahh, that's raw then. I was just watching a video where a guy was measuring powerlifting form vs. normal form. He found the ranges of motion to be 7 and 17 inches, respectively.

From that logic, it seems like normal form is best for training and powerlifting form is best for 1RMs.

Video log:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KoGvyAElp4

here is the one i said he looked like he was going to snap in half. looks like a normal shirt.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well i answered your question.

what do you do?

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So, my question to all you 300+ bench people is this: what do you do? Do you have any contraindications for PL-form benching?
    Well i answered your question.
    u bench 300+?

acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100) acidking is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    u bench 300+?
    good question ... throw this guy a quarter for me would ya?
    Last edited by acidking; 08-10-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Before you start and tell me to use the search function, read through what I've got to say.

The other day, I used my complimentary hour with a personal trainer up. I asked him to critique my form on a number of exercises, and tried to use it as a "correct me if I'm wrong" sort of thing.

I asked him what he thought about the powerlifting form of benching involving an arched back, and he told me that it's not safe and that I'll eventually damage my lower back (since powerlifters apparently "always use bench shirts," which they don't). While I realize there is an inherent risk with any exercise dealing with heavy weight, I didn't feel like he could adequately explain why it's worse than normal benching. Still, knowing that he's a personal trainer, I figured he might have sound reasoning (considering he trained varsity football players at BC, among other things).

everytime you make a post, or thread i always ask myself what it is your actually trying to achieve. to me, your goals seem pretty wide and spread. do you want to be a power lifter? or do you want to be a body builder? if you want to power lift i would start going to that section of the forums and asking those guys what is best, since they know. also there is a video section in that forum where people post their forms for various exercises, its a very helpful section, there is a man who has a 325 perfect form bench, done at his home, in a rack. you should watch that one, should answer all your questions.
    Originally Posted by Tiffany Wantsmore

A lie to get yourself out of trouble is way different to a lie designed to not hurt someone's feelings.

Originally Posted by Curtiz

woman logic, gotta love it

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=116435491

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Big benchers don't suffer major back injuries from bench pressing. I'm sure it's happened to someone somoewhere, but it's not commonplace.

For me, the main thing about benching with a "PL form" is shoulder health.

Originally Posted by Clifford-James View Post

This. ^^

Sure, you see some big-name guys with crazy arches and four inch ROM's. But, the majority of guys who powerlift for fun and are fairly strong on the bench press don't resort to contortionism.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some guys don't play the game and go down as far as they can without the crazy arch. I like the slightly tucked bench style as well <no crazy arch> My shoulders have just started feeling better.

This is good too I just can get my shoulders to over flex like that at the bottom like him unless I bring the bar down to my abs.

This is a cat over at Rxmuscle name Diggy, I like his style bench press.
    Cha Cha Cha

Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    back should be arched to get the traps and upper back completely flat on the bench to support the weight you are benching. however, i dont think you should arch your back to the extreme as shown in some of those vids.

when benching you should squeeze shoulder blades together so they are flat on the bench and squeeze your glutes and maintain a straight back with a somewhat of a natural arch. definately make sure to not roll the shoulders forward or you are asking for trouble.. i injured my shoulder a few months ago doing that.
    The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
    -Roger Bannister