g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to start skateboarding at 23?

Ok.

One of my goals after losing the weight I want to is to learn how to skateboard/surf/rollerblade. I had a difficult time learning how to ride a bike as a kid because of an inner ear problem, I still have it, but I'm able to overcome that irrational vertigo feeling. I didn't learn till I was 14 D:

What can I do to start getting ready to learn how to do this? I know that by doing free weights and building up my core, I'll have better balance.

Should I just *get* a skateboard and get started? Get all the elbow pads and look ridiculous with a pillow on my butt, etc? :P I don't want to be a pro, but I'd like to surf/skate as a hobby.
    Last edited by g3k; 07-31-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: better title.
    Any an all weird freaking spelling errors are becaus I'm typing on my iPhone which autocorrects to the weirdest things now.

MADE FROM LIGHTNING. REAL LIGHTNING!

Excuses are just another way of telling everyone how much you suck.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body: I usually kick its ass on the way out to teach it a lesson.

g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10) g3k is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bamp
    Any an all weird freaking spelling errors are becaus I'm typing on my iPhone which autocorrects to the weirdest things now.

MADE FROM LIGHTNING. REAL LIGHTNING!

Excuses are just another way of telling everyone how much you suck.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body: I usually kick its ass on the way out to teach it a lesson.

gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i used to do all of these(only surf now, occasionally longboard). when u say skateboard i assume u mean longboard. that's the fun one anyway. u rlly don't need the pads unless u start doing crazy ****. wear a helmet though, or atleast while you're learning. surfing is the greatest sport in the world, nothing compares to it. it's nothing like skateboarding or snowboarding. the best way to learn to surf would be to buy a used longboard or funboard. at 6'4'' 300+ lbs ur gonna want a pretty big board. the easiest way to learn is on a softop, get a used one if u can find one. at your size look for the biggest one u can find(maybe somewhere around 12 ft or even bigger). u can make yourself a balanceboard real cheap and just learn to balance on it every way u can think of. it will help u once u get on a board.

good luck, if u have any more questions feel free to pm me or IM me
    Last edited by gnarsurf; 08-01-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    ☆☆☆America Fuk Yeah ¢яєω☆☆☆
    -Misc. Surfer Brahs-

haxball-cliveceps

headedthere87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey This was an old post, but if you see this, you should definatley get a balance board. I use vew-do balance boards. They helped me out so much and when i finally did get back on my snowboard I felt like a million bucks.