Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10) Crusier is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Intermediate Rippetoe: question about deads and cleans

I am looking at at a split model in the Intermediate section in Practical Programming that looks like this

Monday- Squats and pressing exercises

Wednesday- Pulling exercises such as cleans and snatches, and other back work

Thursday - Squats and presses

Saturday- Pulling exercises

My question is about Wednesday. Can I do cleans and deadlifts the same day since deads are both a back and pulling exercise. If so which should I do first?

Thanks

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Crusier View Post
    I am looking at at a split model in the Intermediate section in Practical Programming that looks like this

Monday- Squats and pressing exercises

Wednesday- Pulling exercises such as cleans and snatches, and other back work

Thursday - Squats and presses

Saturday- Pulling exercises

My question is about Wednesday. Can I do cleans and deadlifts the same day since deads are both a back and pulling exercise. If so which should I do first?

Thanks
    Where is brotherwolf when you need him?
    O35 5'8" Crew

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Crusier View Post
    Can I do cleans and deadlifts the same day since deads are both a back and pulling exercise. If so which should I do first?
    That's an interesting question... I often do cleans as a warm-up exercise prior to deads. However, I keep the cleans very light when I'm doing this. If you're trying to push your numbers on both exercises on the same day, I think you'll end up disappointed. If you do deadlifts first, your cleans will just plain suck. If you do the cleans first, they will probably impact your deadlift performance unless you seperate the two exercises with something else like some kind of press, chins, or other upper-body work.

Personally, I'd do cleans and deads on different days. This way, you can think of the cleans as a recovery exercise for the deads and as an assistance exercise to help keep your deads from getting too slow.

Edit: On second thought, don't do chins between cleans and deads. They'll screw up your grip on the deads.
    Last edited by sytennison; 07-23-2009 at 07:10 PM.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jtcook View Post
    Where is brotherwolf when you need him?
    I am here I am here... LOL
    we need Kiknskreem to answer that or Rip himself..

I would do it if one doesn't interfere with the other as sytennison says

In fact I used to do deads and cleans on the same day in a similar manner , I mean cleans compared to deads are done with a much lighter weight and less reps and even thought they will kick your ass they cover more muscles than deads so recovery is rather quick.

I did cleans first and jumped into lighter deads without warmup .

It's all relative to the type of workout , if for example you are doing the Texas method , there are volume , recovery and intensity days .. the recovery day is perfect for doing them both

In short.. just try
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?