stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bad shoulder - bench press alternative?

Years of playing baseball have ruined my right shoulder. It doesn't really bother me ever, except now that I'm trying to get bigger, it grinds and hurts when I try to BB bench press. I can manage 3 sets with a 25 on each side, but that doesn't do anything for my chest.

My question is, what should I do for an alternative? I have no problems using chest press machines, and I can move twice the weight, but I really want to incorporate all of the stabilizing muscles that get incorporated into the bench press (even with the light weight I tremble like a leaf trying to hold the bar steady). Should I do something else? One, then the other? Neither?

GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10) GoGoGo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This one's gonna be pretty straightforward - do what doesn't hurt. You stated that you do have a bad shoulder (have you had it checked by a doctor?). The bench press, as you also said, utilizes more muscles than the machines. But unfortunately, that's probably the part that's causing you shoulder pain. In other words, those stabilizers apparently make up your "bad shoulder." If you haven't gotten it checked by a doctor, I would and ask him this question too. For now though as I said, stick with the machines and stay away from any exercise that causes you shoulder pain. You don't want to turn that bad shoulder into a worse shoulder!

stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GoGoGo View Post
    This one's gonna be pretty straightforward - do what doesn't hurt. You stated that you do have a bad shoulder (have you had it checked by a doctor?). The bench press, as you also said, utilizes more muscles than the machines. But unfortunately, that's probably the part that's causing you shoulder pain. In other words, those stabilizers apparently make up your "bad shoulder." If you haven't gotten it checked by a doctor, I would and ask him this question too. For now though as I said, stick with the machines and stay away from any exercise that causes you shoulder pain. You don't want to turn that bad shoulder into a worse shoulder!
    Thanks for the response.

I've seen a doctor for it before. It's probably a labrum/joint degeneration issue, but since it has only become an issue somewhat recently (and I don't play ball anymore), we've not investigated further. I will find other methods of working the chest, and in addition I'll see if I can find some deltoid exercises that do not hurt to see if strengthening the muscles around the joint will help.