Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

RANT: I Don't Want to look like a Bodybuilder!! Various and Sundry Rant topics.

if I hear this one more frickin' frackin' time, I am going to have to punch out my computer monitor!!!

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

what goes through someone's mind to go on a site called "BODYBUILDER.com" and start out with that statement in their post??

It's like the people who come on my site , Ny.BASS.com, and ask about trout fishing.....

Isn't there a fitness forum somewhere on this site?

Besides that, though, I am wondering: just what do these people mean, specifically, when they say that:

are they so presumptuous to think that, God forbid, if they just happen to do this or that, they are going to wake up one morning and look like Ronnie Coleman???

The funny thing about that, to me, is that , there are SO many of us who train with the same intensity of the Ronnie Coleman's of the world, and we will NEVER look anything remotely like him, and yet these people are "afraid" that they might happen to look that way???

is such naievte possible??

or am I being kind, and is it just plain ignorance??

But whatever, I continue to be amazed when regular posters are so kind and so patient with such a new poster and offer all kinds of help, when, in my estimation, in some way or form, whether ignorance or intentional, THEY ARE INSULTING US SOMEHOW!!

at least , that is my take.....they are cheapening what we do everyday, making it seem that it is simply a takeable goal depending on how you train, when all of us know just how tough and discouraging it can be at times, despite all of our efforts.
    Last edited by JOHN GARGANI; 07-03-2009 at 04:56 AM.

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, Yes,...this just shows the majority of people who only gauge bodybuilding by the Mr. Olympia standards are quite bluntly, "ignorant". The perception of what a bodybuilder should appear is such a small percentage of how they actually appear. I was victim of this ignorance as well a few years back until I found natural bodybuilding. It too a few wins and photos to convince some that bodybuilding is displayed in many classes. I think this realization is also the reason why such a peak of interest in the sport. Many people realize they can be a bodybuilder. Education is the key!
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    "How about this: follow our training suggestions for a year, and if after a year you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger we'll pay you $1 million in compensation and you can use it to buy takeout and sit on the couch to lose the muscles again."

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    if I hear this one more frickin' frackin' time, I am going to have to punch out my computer monitor!!!

what goes through someone's mind to go on a site called "BODYBUILDER.com" and start out with that statement in their post??

It's like the people who come on my site , Ny.BASS.com, and ask about trout fishing.....

Besides that, though, I am wondering: just what do these people mean, specifically, when they say that:

are they so presumptuous to think that, God forbid, if they just happen to do this or that, they are going to wake up one morning and look like Ronnie Coleman???

The funny thing about that, to me, is that , there are SO many of us who train with the same intensity of the Ronnie Coleman's of the world, and we will NEVER look anything remotely like him, and yet these people are "afraid" that they might happen to look that way???

But whatever, I continue to be amazed when regular posters are so kind and so patient with such a new poster and offer all kinds of help, when, in my estimation, in some way or form, whether ignorance or intentional, THEY ARE INSULTING US SOMEHOW!!

at least , that is my take.....they are cheapening what we do everyday, making it seem that it is simply a takeable goal depending on how you train, when all of us know just how tough and discouraging it can be at times, despite all of our efforts.

Using your analogy, what are worse (to me), are people saying that they are trout fishing not bass fishing, but that fishing for trout is better for catching bass also...

Also...all your bass are belong to us.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think what they really mean is "I don't really wanna have to work real hard. I just wanna get semi-decent results. How hard do I have to work to get there?"
    Roll Tide

Consciousness: The annoying time between naps.

I wouldn't touch the metric system with a 3.048m pole.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is why I only put %50 in my training,..Just think if I went all out what I could look like,..maybe like this?

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

whether ignorance or intentional, THEY ARE INSULTING US SOMEHOW!!

I can honestly say I never felt like it was being insulting.
    Then now after your post I can see how it can be.

I believe it is naiveness and ignorance.
    Take my wife for example. I will explain to her a million times what is good carbs / "bad" carbs. What good sources of protein is etc etc... She still does not get it.

Now take someone who doesn't even know anyone personally that trains and "diets" properly. Is this person going to have a real grasp of true outcome of hard work in the gym?

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bamma View Post
    I think what they really mean is "I don't really wanna have to work real hard. I just wanna get semi-decent results. How hard do I have to work to get there?"
    ^^^This right here. If you set the bar low then you don't have to answer to yourself for having little motivation.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    oh, it is a DIS, Carl, it is....they are minimizing and trivializing what we do without even realizing it.....and without them even realizing it.....

I'm fortunate enough to work with people who have a good understanding of what bodybuilding is,..many chose not to go beyond just working out and take it to the next level,..I have gained much respect from these guys because of there knowledge of the sport.

BlondeD00d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondeD00d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondeD00d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondeD00d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondeD00d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Hmmm

I think a great deal of the issue is that people don't understand bodybuilding. I've been a "Men's Health" guy before. I lost 125 lbs and wanted to be "fit and healthy". Well, by doctor standards, I was fit & healthy 30lbs ago. So what does that make me now? My cholesterol, trigs, and blood pressure are all still in optimum ranges. In my opinion (and others), I look better now. Bodybuilding is "staying fit" to the Nth degree, where N is N-tense. Most people just won't do it. It's not that they can't, they CAN. They just don't have the discipline. We should all give ourselves a pat on the back.

So what to do about these lame asses that don't know what a REAL workout is? They want to "tone" and just do abs. Whatever, do what you want, just get off the squat rack with your high-reppin barbell-curlin ass and go hang out in Men's Health land.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    I believe it is naiveness and ignorance.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ For the most part..........

And then others are largely downplaying their own, as well as others', expectations of their efforts. This permeates our society in almost every possible endeavor (work, politics, school, etc...) You know, "That test was really hard and everyone thinks they failed it. I didn't even crack a book for it, so I'd be glad just to get a C", when in reality they know they studied hard and are really hoping to surprise everyone with the results.

How many times have you seen someone here display a pathetic "before" pic? You know, the ones where they intentionally slump, distend their gut, etc...? All so they can show marvelous, unbelievable, magnificent progress in just 6wks .

So yeah, it's:

1. Ignorance.
    2. Setting low expectations publicly.....and intentionally.
    3. Actually not wanting to become a shape that screams "I spend a lot of time in a gym"
    4. Jealousy - which I'd place last on the list, and this would be the one that is an actual "dis".
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is a reason why we have to have things like warnings on coffee cups that say "warning: HOT - do not hold in lap!" and that millions of "ab blaster whatchamacallits" are sold on tv.

I think people seriously believe that lifting weights at all will make them hyoooge overnight. That's a comment seen over and over here. What I don't get is . . . why don't they worry about it if/when they start to get too big (not likely) and then just cut back?
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    if I hear this "I Don't Want to look like a Bodybuilder" one more frickin' frackin' time, I am going to have to punch out my computer monitor!!!

I think I know which post you are talking about... spotted it today/yesterday and thought to myself "huh". And then moved on to one of the other half dozen things I was doing at the moment.

Ever the charitable woman that I am, what I suspect such people mean is that their objectives are modest and that they aren't interested in the extremes. They probably don't know the variety within the sport and have a lot of preconceived notions. Example, I certainly don't want to be a bodybuilder of the type described in the book Confessions of a Bodybuilder. What the narrator did, how he lived, the drugs he took, all not for me. Also don't want to model my fitness after his bodybuilding girlfriend and her steroid use. I like what I'm doing, even if I find myself unable to get that really nice six pack without my hair falling out.

It's a good book BTW, I really enjoyed it and highly recommend.
    I might be out of the woods...

Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I never will look like a bodybuilder, but I swear I will always train as if that is my intent. Why even bother getting involved in such an activity unless you are willing to give it your best?
    Roll Tide

Consciousness: The annoying time between naps.

I wouldn't touch the metric system with a 3.048m pole.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Having helped many women get into shape it is them who do not want the bodybuilder look for the most part. Try not to take it so personally as they still want to be cute and not so muscle bound for us guys. Besides, most of them have no idea that they lack the hormones and chromosomes to be muscle bound.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ For the most part..........

And then others are largely downplaying their own, as well as others', expectations of their efforts. This permeates our society in almost every possible endeavor (work, politics, school, etc...) You know, "That test was really hard and everyone thinks they failed it. I didn't even crack a book for it, so I'd be glad just to get a C", when in reality they know they studied hard and are really hoping to surprise everyone with the results.

How many times have you seen someone here display a pathetic "before" pic? You know, the ones where they intentionally slump, distend their gut, etc...? All so they can show marvelous, unbelievable, magnificent progress in just 6wks .

So yeah, it's:

1. Ignorance.
    2. Setting low expectations publicly.....and intentionally.
    3. Actually not wanting to become a shape that screams "I spend a lot of time in a gym"
    4. Jealousy - which I'd place last on the list, and this would be the one that is an actual "dis".

My thoughts exactly! It's not that they don't want to look like bodybuilders, they're afraid they'll fail if they try.

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Having helped many women get into shape it is them who do not want the bodybuilder look for the most part. Try not to take it so personally as they still want to be cute and not so muscle bound for us guys. Besides, most of them have no idea that they lack the hormones and chromosomes to be muscle bound.
    BS. I hear this all the time from guys. "I don't want to get big" "I just want to get toned" It permeates both genders.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by taf1968 View Post
    I think people seriously believe that lifting weights at all will make them hyoooge overnight. That's a comment seen over and over here. What I don't get is . . . why don't they worry about it if/when they start to get too big (not likely) and then just cut back?
    I love the people who say:

"I don't want to train legs because they grow too quickly.

Give me a F'n break.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I want to hear more about trout fishing.

I'm upset about an advanced bodybuilding forum here in the O35 section and the hottest topic is a running thread.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well said OP

Originally Posted by NuclearArms View Post
    I want to hear more about trout fishing.

I'm upset about an advanced bodybuilding forum here in the O35 section and the hottest topic is a running thread.
    Maybe we should rename it, "The HARDCORE bodybuilder O35 training thread" has a nice ring to it.

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Give me a F'n break.

No kidding . . . I've been trying like hell for years!

*MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah there is something offensive about it.

It's a bit like me and music though. I don't play any musical instruments and never have. People think it's because I'm not very musically gifted. Little do they know though that if I ever did take up playing the violin, even if I just practiced half an hour a week, I'd become the best violinist in the world way better than that Andre Rieu bloke and those other losers who spend all day every day practicing. Seriously just by holding a violin in my hand I'd be turned into an instant maestro of the violin.

And well Frankly being that good at playing the violin just disgusts me, so I don't do it, I don't even touch violins at all because I just don't won't to be so disgustingly good at playing the violin, which I would be bound to be if ever I took it up.

BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradyL44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have heard this rant primarily from women, they don't want to lift hard because they don't want to look like a man. My wife had that same complaint until I talked her into actually lifting weights. She now puts many of the men in our gym to shame because of her strength and guess what, yep, you guessed it, she is toned, but by no means looks like a man.

I think for the most part people just don't want to work hard. I think if they actually started training and saw the transformation, they would catch the "fever".

BTW! I live in Idaho, so world-class trout fishing. I did live in Virginia for a while, so have fished for bass. I got this quote from a fellow Idahoan; "I don't like to fish for bass because they don't fight as much." My comment to him was that I did not think that he had ever fished for or caught a bass.
    Be patient; the persistent work of a determined individual will bring great gain.

Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    BS. I hear this all the time from guys. "I don't want to get big" "I just want to get toned" It permeates both genders.
    Hell, I want to get so big that I could scare Bodyhard in a dark alley.

But really, what I want to get to is an image in my head. When I see that image looking back at me in the mirror, I will be proud.

I think it stems from the term bodybuilder. And most people associate that with Arnold, Lou, and Mr. Olympia. I have a difficult time considering myself a bodybuilder, but what else could it be? Gym rat/pool bum?

I can understand this a bit though. In my younger days, my quads/hams were at a point where I had to buy jeans at least 1 waist size bigger just to fit my legs. For 501's it was 2 sizes. I had to buy 40/40 instead of 36/38 just to wear them. So I get that one. And until recently I was one that didn't work legs regularly. Back then I was the complete opposite of most. I worked my legs far harder than my upper body. I wanted to be able to dunk on anyone and to get to that point meant a lot of leg training. I realized recently I was cheating myself by not doing squats so now I train them again, looking forward to the day of having to buy really odd sized pants.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A couple of weekends ago, I was tossing a baseball around with my buddy and his son. I'd better not do that too often, or I might start throwing heaters like Josh Beckett.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A lot of peoples perceptions are simple. Lifting Weights = Built like Arnold. My wife is one of those. It took 2 months of gym time (in her mind, gym = treadmill) to get her to try weights. One week of weights and she stopped going to the gym entirely.

It makes it tough to explain why I can eat oatmeal, but have to avoid bread. I can eat a Steak, but not a Burger. Its really tough to explain why I eat so much chicken and Broccoli. She complains that I am loosing too much weight, whereas I am losing bodyfat and not muscle.

My parents and friends see the weight loss and ask me how I did it. After 10 minutes of explaining, I give up and tell them "Just don't eat fast food". My nephew loves lifting weights. After 10 minutes of talking with him I find out his theory is "I just bench till it hurts" 4 days a week.

Many people just want to "be in shape" and think that a few answers found here will give them than in a few weeks. My neighbor who can kill a 12 pack every night (30 packs on the weekend) and has, in his terms a "Power gut", wonders why I've lost so much weight.

Can I explain to him what I do at the gym and what I am training for? Nope, he still holds tight to his beliefs that he isn't in bad shape.

When I started back at the gym last December, the owner of the gym told us "70% of the people that join, will leave in the first month". Oldsuperman stated 97% of you will fail. Which is absolutely accurate. But what did we fail at? Making it to stage level presence, or just looking good at the beach? In no way am I questioning oldsuperman, because he is what I am going to look like. I'm in his 3%.

I think that many people don't understand (reference that scary statistics in Mass thread) that to look like you're physically fit, you either have to be outdoors exercising or in a gym moving weights. They want that V shaped torso, but don't want to do pull-ups. "Can't I just lean back a bit on the Elliptical machine and work my back?". Nope, you've gotta pick up that heavy weight and move it. "But then I'll look like Arnold, and I don't want that."

Its the impression that "Weights = Arnold". I only use "Arnold", as it brings an image to mind for a majority of people. Whereas I wish that people would think "Weights = Brad Pitt". Of course it doesn't help that the majority of images on the wall of the gym, are of bodybuilders, instead of a Brad Pitt without a shirt. Or they are pictures of really exotic women that have seen enough plastic to be a Tupperware party.

I'm not advocating a justification of their thoughts, or a justification of our intent, more just thinking through my own thoughts on the OP's post. The majority of the people in this forum, I think, would fit into Oldsupermans top 15%. Most of us will look fantastic, and a few of us will be on stage. The others are fleeting and will only make a few posts here get their impressions, not like the answers, or understand the answers and continue on. A minority will stay and change their life.

Where was I going with this...? Oh, yeah. "I don't want to look like a Bodybuilder." In the past 2 months, I've been trying very hard to get to 12% body fat. I dropped from 18% to 14% and kept my lean muscle mass. Now I'm back up to 15%. To tell people that I'm carrying 30lbs of fat astounds them. Most people don't realize that to get to look "physically fit" isn't easy and will take work. Their impressions are that a few weeks on a Treadmill will make them look like a Calvin Klein model. When they learn that it won't they become that 70% that never comes back to the gym.

So, how do we answer that original statement? I don't know. Maybe "Skip the gym, take up running 2 miles a day." "Stop eating at McDonalds." "Cook a potato instead of opening a bag of chips." (But they're Baked Lays?!? Yes, but you ate a Family sized bag in one sitting.)

I don't know enough to answer the statement. Will I ever? Maybe. For now, I'll just type out my thoughts (sorry for the novel) and listen to some of the really smart people here and work from there.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

To be fair that attitude is purely down to their ignorance, because they haven't been there before to know what progress they're likely to make.
    It's only those of us that have been working out for some time that know to look like a bodybuilder requires a lot of dedication in training as well as diet, not to mention genes.
    So I wouldn't be too harsh on a someone new to the game, we all have to start somewhere.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stayfit2008 View Post
    This is why I only put %50 in my training,..Just think if I went all out what I could look like,..maybe like this?
    You know what kills me about that pic? Some people actually ask "Is that real"

I mean honestly, how stupid can come people be?
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by clive View Post
    To be fair that attitude is purely down to their ignorance, because they haven't been there before to know what progress they're likely to make.
    It's only those of us that have been working out for some time that know to look like a bodybuilder requires a lot of dedication in training as well as diet, not to mention genes.
    So I wouldn't be too harsh on a someone new to the game, we all have to start somewhere.
    Point taken BUT....

How ignorant can one be to go on a site called BODYBUILDING.com and post something like...

"Not looking to be a body builder, just wanting to get in the best shape possible."

that makes NO sense to me at all.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-