tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A power rack VS a Smith m/c (pros and cons)

Hi,

Tony from London UK here. I have just started this post to identify the PROS & CONS of a Power Rack and a Smith Machine to help me (and hopefully others) make an informed decision on which one buy. Just to let you guys now I am 29 and am just starting on my body building adventure!

I (with the help of some of you guys on here, wildtim, essexlad, etc) have already looked at a few power racks and the one in the link below looks a good one for that amount of money (636.15 British Pounds).

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...th-package.php

I was just about to buy this when someone told me I should be looking at Smith Machines. I have not even looked at smith machines yet as I have previously only had negative feedback so far and am led to believe that a power rack is much more versatile.

Cheers,

Tony

RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RHINO240 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is no better piece of equipment you can buy to build muscle than a rack. It's that simple.
    ll-ll NOBODY SAID BODYBUILDING WAS EASY ll-ll

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    ^^^ding ding ding we have a winner. This.

A Smith can be a good addition to add some capabilities but the rack is that core of any home gym.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jfindon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Power racks kick Smith machines in the nuts. No one in their right mind should choose a Smith over a power rack.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.18

I HATE lightbulbs.

tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonylikeBody-B is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    3 for Power Rack... VS ... 0 for Smith machine... So Far....

Is there reasons why?

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have both. A powertec powerrack and a parabody Smith 888. I like the smith for the gun rack on the front and it has a selectorized hi/low lat stack. I do almost all of my lifting in the powerrack and some extra work in the smith but I mainly have the smith for the front rack and the lat.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nope.

Rack is just better.

Seriously, have you seen either of them in person? Do you understand exactly what the differences are? You really need to research it if you don't want to just go with the concensus here (which I don't blame you). The 2 pieces of equipment operate differently and you need to decide which is best for you.

I had a smith for 10 years and I hated squats on it......hated them! I was ready to never do a squat again until I tried a free bar squat. Now I'll probably never squat on a smith again. It was just too restrictive and uncomfortable for me. I even had a chance to buy an absolutely loaded BodyCraft Jones machine for about $1200 and passed because I do not want to be tethered to the machine.

I just feel you will be an overall stronger person if you are controlling a completely free bar in space. I also think you can get big and strong on a smith, I just believe the rack is superior and just as safe.

If you want imperical evidence, its probably not coming....this is a heated debate that will go on throughout the armegheddon (sp?).

Oh....when RPlass gets here, he will vote for the smith. It works for him, so that's cool.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PullBig View Post
    I have both. A powertec powerrack and a parabody Smith 888. I like the smith for the gun rack on the front and it has a selectorized hi/low lat stack. I do almost all of my lifting in the powerrack and some extra work in the smith but I mainly have the smith for the front rack and the lat.

LOL. So you keep the smith for everything but the smith! I laugh because I was doing the same thing with the one I got rid of in January!

The crossover made the difference for me and I couldn't be happier.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    LOL. So you keep the smith for everything but the smith! I laugh because I was doing the same thing with the one I got rid of in January!

The crossover made the difference for me and I couldn't be happier.
    Bought it more for my wife she likes the smith better. I just wanted the lat pull and weights that it came with.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Another vote for a rack here.

you can't back squat properly on a smith machine, nor can you deadlift.
    That removes pretty much the two best mass/strength exercises you can do from your routine. Why would you want to do that?
    A rack is just so much more versitile than a smith.

I will admit smith's are good for emphasising specific areas, but most people aren't in a position where they should be worrying about that to such a degree.
    Also for me presses are a big no no on the smith, the fixed bar path aggravates an old shoulder injury, unless I want my shoulder dislocating for the next week. If I had bought a smith and didn't know they did this, I'd be stuck with a machine I couldn't use for most major exercises.

If I had the money, I'd have both. If I'm only getting one, its a rack any day of the week.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    If you're just starting out, go with a rack, bench, and Olympic set, as others have advised. You'll make quicker progress squatting and benching in a rack, and will build training skill quicker if you control the bar path, and not the machine.

A Smith is an excellent tool for doing accessory work, and targeting specific parts of muscle groups. For example, squats,placing feet forward, to emphasize a certain part of your quads. Or doing to-the-neck bench presses, safely. Or doing seated shoulder presses, without need of a spotter for liftoff and return. A beginner, however, is just that-a beginner, and should stick to the basics, something you can easily do with a power rack. Build the mass first, then work to refine it.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 03-29-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 636 HunteR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a smith that I have converted into a power rack. Buy the power rack.
    8-16-2011 - the day Thy_Kingdom said he would rep but didn't. never forget.

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yet another vote for the rack. The human body really isn't designed to move in perfectly straight lines.

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ill say rack. there is so many things you can do with it and so many things you cant do with out it.

i dont even wanna talk about that barbell on rails, it reminds me of a big train wreck.
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

well... my mind is definately made up...... Its gota be the Rack!!!!

Thanks guys.....

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The most you gonna get outta me is not a surprise.... it's a haiku!!

Outnumbered, tired
    Even though Smith machines ROCK
    I give up, won't vote.

Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    The most you gonna get outta me is not a surprise.... it's a haiku!!

Outnumbered, tired
    Even though Smith machines ROCK
    I give up, won't vote.

LOL

No reason to give up though. I even said it works for you so thats cool.

Its just that most people prefer the rack for a center piece. I've even had both and decided the rack was the way to go.

Other than pointing out the major points of the "controversy", I'm not even trying to be controversial!!!

You know what you want and I respect that, the OP just needs to determine what it is he's trying to accomplish and what will help him get there. He can't know for sure unless he has a working knowledge of the equipment.

Although it looks as though he's swinging toward the rack.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was in the same position a few months back... Rack or smith or jones. Which way to go? After much research the need to stabilize the weight in a rack is better than being on a track, either fixed (smith) or tiltable (jones).

I went rack and haven't been disappointed yet!
    I wish I did this years ago.
    Looking to reach my full pump-tential!

Lift long and prosper...

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish and their personal preferences. Some people will tell you that the fixed path has caused them problems while others really like this aspect. I have both (rack and smith). I actually prefer the smith for several bodyparts (expecially back work). The smith allows me to handle larger weights in a more controlled manner. Nevertheless, If I could only have one, it would be the rack. I view the rack and bench as the centerpiece of the gym, followed closely by my dumbbells. The next piece would be my cable crossover. The smith, as useful as I find it, would fall somewhere around number 10 on the list.

Therefore, my vote is for the rack!!!!

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I think it all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish and their personal preferences. Some people will tell you that the fixed path has caused them problems while others really like this aspect. I have both (rack and smith). I actually prefer the smith for several bodyparts (expecially back work). The smith allows me to handle larger weights in a more controlled manner. Nevertheless, If I could only have one, it would be the rack. I view the rack and bench as the centerpiece of the gym, followed closely by my dumbbells. The next piece would be my cable crossover. The smith, as useful as I find it, would fall somewhere around number 10 on the list.

Therefore, my vote is for the rack!!!!
    The smith lets you handle larger weights due to it stabilizing the weight for you. In the end, you're lifting for ego.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    The smith lets you handle larger weights due to it stabilizing the weight for you. In the end, you're lifting for ego.
    I don't necessarily agree with this statement. Yes, it is stabilizing the weight for me, but it is more weight. When I'm using the smith, I'm targeting a specific muscle groups. It has nothing to do with ego, but rather wanting to stress the specific muscle in question with the greatest load.

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this statement. Yes, it is stabilizing the weight for me, but it is more weight. When I'm using the smith, I'm targeting a specific muscle groups. It has nothing to do with ego, but rather wanting to stress the specific muscle in question with the greatest load.
    ^^^^^ Agreed. Lots of people hate on machines but they miss what they are designed to do. They allow you to target specific muscles and take the stabilizing out of the equation. You may move more weight but you are only hitting the primary muscle.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rokman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For me personally, the power rack I had was great for when I was a little more hard core with my training in my younger days. Now, in my mid 40's, with more aches and pains, and mostly solo training, the Smith is a good, safe, effective option for me.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you have the $$$ and space, get both.

It's cool to be able to switch up the workouts between rack & smith. I do giant sets most of the time and I'm glad I have both pieces of equipment.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Fat Man Little Head DJStevieRay's Avatar
    DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jfindon View Post
    Power racks kick Smith machines in the nuts. No one in their right mind should choose a Smith over a power rack.

I did, but it does have a 1/2 rack on the front, Not much I can't do that you can do on a full rack. So in a sense I have the best of one world with 1/2 the best of another.
    Body Transformation Group.... http://groups.bodybuilding.com/body_transformation

Trying to get back on that horse.....again.

Originally Posted by DJStevieRay View Post
    I did, but it does have a 1/2 rack on the front, Not much I can't do that you can do on a full rack. So in a sense I have the best of one world with 1/2 the best of another.

Valid approach. I tried this last year after I decided to get rid of my smith only machine. I had the ultimate smith II like yours or similar....forget which one you have, and it did ok. What I found was that I used the half rack, the crossovers, the chinup bar, and pretty much nothing else. Decided the pec dec and smith didn't really give me that much to make up for the decreased safety of the half rack. Once I found an option that worked for me on craigslist I haven't regretted it at all.

Skidmarx, your point is good too. If I had just a bit more room I could see myself getting a smith by itself. But I would use it so little I can't see getting rid of what I have to make room for it.

Smiths aren't evil....but a rack is better.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13