Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question 1st Powerlift Comp

I just went ahead and signed up for a Powerlifting competition for Sunday evening. This is just a military post competition and there haven't been very many females to sign up for it so I thought what the hell, I do all of these exercises anyway, I'll sign up! So a couple of questions as I don't train for powerlifting. Typically, I'll do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. I know it will be a 1 rep max and that we'll move up 3 times. Where should I start on each of these events and how much should I add to move up each time?

As of lately:
    Squats - 3 sets 10-12 reps maxing at around 160
    Bench Press - 3 sets 10-12 maxing at around 120
    Deadlift - (probably Romanian) same at around 135

Any tips you'd like to throw in, I'm all ears. It's my understanding that this will be set up like a typical powerlifting comp. I'll take off the day prior. I know I should probably take off more time than that, but that's not really a choice as I have organized PT.
    "The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you ever do any heavy work like triples or singles? Typically you'd want to open with a lift you can get for three reps. I'd recommend something lighter for you just to be safe. If it feels really easy then you have two more attempts to take things up. Being able to rep something doesn't always mean that you can do much more, especially if you don't train at all with lower reps. If you can do a set of 12 with 160 in the squat then 225 shouldn't be a problem at all for one, but it very well may bury you because you aren't used to the heavier weight. You definitely don't want to max out right now to test yourself so just open with easy weights, and then just see how it feels. Remember to watch the commands of the judges so your lifts count.

Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylvo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PaHulkster View Post
    Do you ever do any heavy work like triples or singles? Typically you'd want to open with a lift you can get for three reps. I'd recommend something lighter for you just to be safe. If it feels really easy then you have two more attempts to take things up. Being able to rep something doesn't always mean that you can do much more, especially if you don't train at all with lower reps. If you can do a set of 12 with 160 in the squat then 225 shouldn't be a problem at all for one, but it very well may bury you because you aren't used to the heavier weight. You definitely don't want to max out right now to test yourself so just open with easy weights, and then just see how it feels. Remember to watch the commands of the judges so your lifts count.

Great advise, thanks so much! No, I sure don't train for tor triples or singles. I'm a couple time figure competitor looking to make the switch to competing in bodybuilding so some low reps would probably be beneficial, but I don't do them currently. If I could bench 225, I would be STUNNED. Completely. I really don't think I have near that in me. I think you're absolutely right about starting lower though and a max for three reps sounds respectable. Tonight I'm going to do each even in the gym to get a better feel and hopefully have some time tomorrow to report back and get some more feedback from you! Thanks for your help! Good luck in your own journey!
    "The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000) PaHulkster is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't want to max tonight if you are going to be competing on Sunday. 225 bench isn't happening, but you might be able to do the squat. It's hard to say without seeing you lift. When you lift tonight just work on technique. Practice your arch and leg drive on the bench, make sure you go to depth on the squat, and using all of your body on the deadlift. Do not go heavy because you will just wear yourself out for Sunday.

Wink

Originally Posted by PaHulkster View Post
    You don't want to max tonight if you are going to be competing on Sunday. 225 bench isn't happening, but you might be able to do the squat. It's hard to say without seeing you lift. When you lift tonight just work on technique. Practice your arch and leg drive on the bench, make sure you go to depth on the squat, and using all of your body on the deadlift. Do not go heavy because you will just wear yourself out for Sunday.
    Roger that. Glad I checked just before I left. Thanks again!

Forgot to add to practice pausing on the bench. A meet on your base probably won't be as strict as a regular sanctioned meet, but it's pretty likely you'll have to pause the bench. This really messes people up if they aren't used to it.

Exclamation

I had looked at two different regulations just in case and worked with both of them last night. On the bench, I went ahead and touched chest instead of just breaking the plain and I paused as well. I also really exaggerated my squat JIC.

I'm really beat and looking forward to taking today and tomorrow off. Tonight I may only do a light run, but that won't effect anything hopefully.

So I played around last night with what I will try to start at for each event.

Squat: 180
    Bench Press: 120
    Deadlift: just under 200

I can probably do much more on the DL, but my hip has been bugging me a bit and don't want to fluff on form.

What kind of stretching/warm-up do you do prior to the events?