low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000)

Starting Strength - using dumbbells only?

I currently do not have access to a fully equipped gym (no barbell/olympic weights) only equipped with dumbbells, bench, cheesy leg press thingy, and a military/bench press/incline bench press "machine."

I would like to increase my strenght using a routine out of the book "Brawn" by Stuart McRobert, which I know many of you are aware of.

The routine is:

Workout 1
    Squat 2x20
    Flat Bench Press 5x5
    Wide Grip Pullups 5x5
    Standing Calf Raises 3x15

Workout 2
    Lunges 2x20
    DB Rows 5x5
    Incline Bench Press 5x5
    Seated Calf Raises 3x15

I guess my only question is, would dumbbells suffice in place of the barbell for the time being? will i see vast strenght changes that will carry over to the barbell when I regain access to them?

button pushing ninja mechanixhorseman's Avatar
    mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's always been my impression that free weights are more effective due to the fact that you're not just pushing up but also pulling in (since there is no structure connecting the two weights) You might want to take that into account when trying to replace the bench press with them. It's probably pretty safe to say that doing 200 on the bench isn't going to be nearly as hard as putting up two 100lb free weights.

Just my two cents.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mechanixhorseman View Post
    It's always been my impression that free weights are more effective due to the fact that you're not just pushing up but also pulling in (since there is no structure connecting the two weights) You might want to take that into account when trying to replace the bench press with them. It's probably pretty safe to say that doing 200 on the bench isn't going to be nearly as hard as putting up two 100lb free weights.

Just my two cents.
    Barbells are free weights.

low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000) low_clazz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I forgot to add, I will be doing this routine while on the Anabolic Diet.

ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by low_clazz View Post
    Wide Grip Pullups 5x5
    I must be having a noob moment, because I thought pullups didn't have anything to do with dumbbells?

rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rosko234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just buy a power rack and bench
    Green Bay Baby!

Goals:Weight-185
    BF-13%

button pushing ninja mechanixhorseman's Avatar
    mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LactoseTolerant View Post
    Barbells are free weights.
    Dumbells, my bust.