Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Turco View Post
    I'd like to go to Jerusalem, too. I also would like to visit the sites of Marian apparitions, starting with Mexico City (Our Lady of Guadalupe). Hopefully, I'll get started on that sometime next year.

Hey all nice to see that there is a Catholic thread. Ive been hanging about in the Christian thread as i thought there was no Catholic thread but now there is that's so good.

I'd love to visit Jerusalem too. My sponser child is located in Jerusalem so it be nice in the coming years to go visit him and Jerusalem

Can any of use recommend me some extra books to read? I am currently finishing the New Testament for a second time as i have red it first through the Good News bible which my priest had told me it wasn't a very good source and recommended me to grab the RSV Catholic Bible so i am finishing that off. Then ill start the Old testament.
    So yea if use no any good extra books i could read on top would be good id like to read and understand more about the faith. I'll be joining my parish youth group when new year begins so hopefully that be full of interest.

One more question - I know i've aked this question in the Christian thread but id like to get answers in the Catholic thread on it. Its about tattoos are they a great sin like a mortal sin that will send me to hell? Ive spoken to my priest about it he told me that its not something god will send to me to hell over its just that its how will we feel
    in 50yrs time when out skin is old and how we would feel with the tattoos on us. Of course i have nothing bad or satanic etc evil on my arm. I have my full sleeve done with a portrait of our lord saviour Jesus Christ, St Michael, Noahs ark with animals over my arm and one of my favourite stories out of the old testament about Daniel and the lions den.

As i have grew up around Christians who are all in the hardcore christian metal scene which all preach there faith but have alot of tattoos and piercings who believe that god wont judge you on what you look like on the outside, he really cares on how you are on the inside your heart your soul.

They all tell me that the verse from levitcus about not marking or tattooing the body for the dead is really not to tattoo yourself for the dead, basicly not to dwell on the past of the ones who have past and by hanging on them you are hanging on to sinners.

So yea...

God bless

god bless.
    Last edited by str8edge_muay; 12-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.

ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by str8edge_muay View Post
    Hey all nice to see that there is a Catholic thread. Ive been hanging about in the Christian thread as i thought there was no Catholic thread but now there is that's so good.

I'd love to visit Jerusalem too. My sponser child is located in Jerusalem so it be nice in the coming years to go visit him and Jerusalem
    Awesome, that's so great that you have a sponsor child, what agency did you sponsor your friend from?

One more question - I know i've aked this question in the Christian thread but id like to get answers in the Catholic thread on it. Its about tattoos are they a great sin like a mortal sin that will send me to hell? Ive spoken to my priest about it he told me that its not something god will send to me to hell over its just that its how will we feel
    in 50yrs time when out skin is old and how we would feel with the tattoos on us. Of course i have nothing bad or satanic etc evil on my arm. I have my full sleeve done with a portrait of our lord saviour Jesus Christ, St Michael, Noahs ark with animals over my arm and one of my favourite stories out of the old testament about Daniel and the lions den.
    LOL, have no worries my friend, Christ will not judge us based on our attire, inked or not. It's actually a misconception that has been promulgated by some Christian sects. It stems from Levitical laws that were given to the ancient Jews, here's the context:
    27You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard. 28You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
    So, unless you consider shaving the hair around your ears (a mandate that was given to distinguish Jews from neighboring pagans) a sin, then you have nothing to worry about. I'm a Catholic as well and have 3 tats, one of our Lord, a Bible verse with a dove, and a lizard ( I was 16, lol).

God bless brother.
    Virile agitur

str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50) str8edge_muay will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey mate.. Oh good lol i was like seriously thinking oh man I'm gonna go to hell for it.
    I sponsored through World Vision and i sponsored a child in Cambodia (a little girl) through the christian orginization Destiny Child Rescue. Its to help stop child sex slavery in Cambodia.

I was a bit like should i should i not sponsor through World Vision as i have herd that the owner/founder of World Vision is very very very wealthy and as it says that only like only 80% of the proceeds go to the child and not 100% due to some stupid fees i was bit mad lol and the fact that you cannot send extra money to your child either has got me thinking me abit.

Destiny Child Rescue 100% proceeds go to the child its a Orginization started by some Nuns over in Cambodia. They opened a home for little girls to keep them with them in a home so they are not abused or trafficked for sex slavery.

OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Welcome =)

Can any of use recommend me some extra books to read? I am currently finishing the New Testament for a second time as i have red it first through the Good News bible which my priest had told me it wasn't a very good source and recommended me to grab the RSV Catholic Bible so i am finishing that off. Then ill start the Old testament.
    So yea if use no any good extra books i could read on top would be good id like to read and understand more about the faith. I'll be joining my parish youth group when new year begins so hopefully that be full of interest.

As i have grew up around Christians who are all in the hardcore christian metal scene which all preach there faith but have alot of tattoos and piercings who believe that god wont judge you on what you look like on the outside, he really cares on how you are on the inside your heart your soul.

They all tell me that the verse from levitcus about not marking or tattooing the body for the dead is really not to tattoo yourself for the dead, basicly not to dwell on the past of the ones who have past and by hanging on them you are hanging on to sinners.

So yea...

God bless

god bless.
    Yay for new members to our thread! Welcome to the group

Your priest is definitely right: I always advise ppl to say away from more modern translations and always advise them to go with the Latin Vulgate, the Douay-Rheims Holy Bible, or the RSV They make the Holy Scriptures seem and sound like they are God-breathed words of Life to us leading to salvation and the wording is beautiful!

You mean good books to read in the Holy Bible? I'm a huuuuuge Old Testament fan and would recommend Exodus and Numbers ^^. Anything by Scott Hahn is good or for some more advanced stuff, you could try some St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, the Councils of Trent and the First Vatican Council. There's lots of stuff out there for you to read, but it depends on what you're looking for?

Spirituality? Apologetics? Church history? Lives of the saints? Doctrine? Sacraments? Prayer?

I will also recommend the Baltimore Catechism. Simple, but very good!!!! I loove it =)

There are lots of good Catholic forums online as well. As we do not believe that non-Catholics (besides Eastern Orthodox Christians) are considered "real" Christians, I would not spend too much time in those groups unless you're there to debate because you will find that they are not worshipping the same God as Catholics and salvation cannot be found in their "communities." Try fisheaters, catholicforums.net (or org) or something, catholic.org and there are some great groups on ********: Catholics (global), We're Not Crazy We're Just Catholic, Apologetic Knights, etc. . .

Now about the tattoo thing, well I suppose that depends on what you feel the Holy Ghost is saying to you. I guess having them isn't a sin in itself, but as we are Christians, we do not want to look like the world (which is why I'm always weary of those "heavy metal" Christians although their intentions may be good). We do not want people to have the impression that we can be "rockers" and serve God at the same time.

Our Lord loves modesty and wants us to be as modest as possible, always respectful (especially when assisting at the Sacred Mysteries. . .) and we do not just want to show that we are Christians by what we do and say, but also how we look.

In Jesus through Mary,
    Christopher

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can any of use recommend me some extra books to read?
    Welcome to the thread. Scott Hahn has a lot of good books you can find online or at your local Catholic bookstore.

OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) OboePlayaz1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Little update for everyone

Blessings to all and glory to God for all things!

First off, I would like to apologize for my absense lately. With finals week, trying to get down to Georgia to my parents new house, trying to get situated, and all the reflecting I have been doing, I've been pretty slow to get on here. But I'm here now!

To all my fellow Latin-Massers, I want you all to know that I have found an amazing community here in Atlanta (where my parents just moved) called St. Francis de Sales Traditional Latin Rite Church where EVERYTHING is done according to the liturgical books of 1962! First Mass I went to was Mass of the Nativity of Our Lord at Midnight and I think I'm on my sixth Mass in less than a week there!

I met some cool peeps and look forward to making friends with them especially during the summer months when I'll be back. I am so glad to have friends who are orthodox Catholics (because most of you know how I HATE modernism and like totally am up to here with the way the Second Vatican Council was interpreted and the craziness it has throw the Church into ) that I can actually have Catholic discussions with and not feel like the bad-guy for calling out heresy all the time! What a relief, the only problem is I have to go back to school eventually and at this point, I do not think I can go back to the parish I attend while at school because it's AWWWWFUUULLL!!!!

The music at this parish is really good and it really helps me to pray at Mass and reminds me that I am participating in something holy that leads to salvation, and not some social gathering, and it just hurts my heart how far "catholics" have fallen from real worship and the knowledge of God.

This church has statues, a high altar, side altars, INCENSE, candles, actual confessionals and not reconciliation rooms and priests that wear priestly garments, I think I've died and gone to Heaven!!!!!

Also, what beautiful homilies I've been experiencing here, especially the one on the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus where the priest explained to us how powerful the Sacred Name is and now we should always be making acts of reparation for the abuses and misuses of His Name.

Hopefully all of you will get to Mass for the wonderful Feast of the Epiphany of the Lord or His triple manifestation! Such a high holy day and try to go to Mass and fast even tho it's no longer a holy day of obligation in the US and I do not understand why because this feast is important, one of the most important of the year.

Love,
    Christopher

GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just dropping in to say that while everything is falling apart around me, I'm finding Church to be a greater comfort than anything else. Peace be with all of you. Agnus Dei miserere nobis.
    We need systems approach to government, no longer partisan patchwork
    adios guys, ill lurk 2/15

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was in Rome over Christmas and visited the Vatican. I was outside in St Peter's Square when that lady tackled the Holy Father inside the Basilica.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

I was in Rome over Christmas and visited the Vatican. I was outside in St Peter's Square when that lady tackled the Holy Father inside the Basilica.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
    You were there??? Btw, I keep trying to rep you but this damn site won't let me! It says I have to spread rep before I can rep you again, which is angering me because I really wanna rep every post you publish!!!

TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi all. Great thread.

I don't mean to question your religion but I do have a few questions of my own. My apologies if they've already been answered. Im looking for answers or a place that I might find them.

There are a lot of things (possibly through my ignorance) that I don't understand/agree with about the Catholic religion. I'll list them below. Again, please don't take my remarks as judgmental. I will admit to being ignorant to some things.

What is the significance of the Pope? I understand his purpose but what does the Bible say about his significance? To me, he is praised as a God but he is only a man. All be it a great man.

It seems to me that Catholics are very materialistic. Asthetics, money, tangable symbolisms. Do you guys agree? Is there a reason for this?

Why is the church worshipped in a way that take presidence over worshipping God? It seems that way to the Layman. It seems the church is everything.

Why is Mary worshipped? I understand her significance but to me she was a mere mortal. During my Catholic wedding we were sent to pray to Mary. I did not understand this.

Are the holy ghost, Jesus, and God separate entities?

Why do I need a piece of paper to accept communion? No offense intended. That's how I see it.

Do Catholics believe in a mystic relationship with God through Christ?

It seems there is a lot of "politics" involved in the Catholic church. Appointments ect. It seems to me where there is power there is abuse. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Most of the churches I go to spend very little time reading scripture and more time with formalities. In other words, I never walk away having learned anything. My time is taken up with Communion followed by the offering. Rince and repeat. Are all Catholic churches this way?

I was baptised Catholic and shortly moved to Florida where I spent most of my time in Baptist churches. I've never recieved communion as you can probably tell. I also attended all masses in the Army (4 of them on Sundays, you can guess why ) I always considered myself non-denominational protestant. Over all I feel like I had a stronger relationship with God when I was less intimidated by Catholic formalities. I have a Catholic wife that would love to see me convert. I just need to learn a little more first.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TNetz; 01-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/

"You have to stomp on the snakes head"

The stupidity of people comes from having an answer for everything. The wisdom comes from having a question for everything.

When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object.

GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TNetz View Post
    Hi all. Great thread.

I don't mean to question your religion but I do have a few questions of my own. My apologies if they've already been answered. Im looking for answers or a place that I might find them.

There are a lot of things (possibly through my ignorance) that I don't understand/agree with about the Catholic religion. I'll list them below. Again, please don't take my remarks as judgmental. I will admit to being ignorant to some things.

What is the significance of the Pope? I understand his purpose but what does the Bible say about his significance? To me, he is praised as a God but he is only a man. All be it a great man.

It seems to me that Catholics are very materialistic. Asthetics, money, tangable symbolisms. Do you guys agree? Is there a reason for this?

Why is the church worshipped in a way that take presidence over worshipping God? It seems that way to the Layman. It seems the church is everything.

Why is Mary worshipped? I understand her significance but to me she was a mere mortal. During my Catholic wedding we were sent to pray to Mary. I did not understand this.

Why do I need a piece of paper to accept communion? No offense intended. That's how I see it.

It seems there is a lot of "politics" involved in the Catholic church. Appointments ect. It seems to me where there is power there is abuse. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Most of the churches I go to spend very little time reading scripture and more time with formalities. In other words, I never walk away having learned anything. My time is taken up with Communion followed by the offereing. rince and repeat. Are all Catholic churches this way?

I was baptised Catholic and shortly moved to Florida where I spent most of my time in Baptist churches. I've never rcieved communion as you can probably tell. I also attended all masses, in the Army (4 of them on Sundays, you can guess why ) I always considered myself non-denominational protestant. Over all I feel like I had a stronger relationship with God when I was less intimidated by Catholic formalities. I have a Catholic wife that would love to see me convert. I just need to learn a little more first.
    Aside from political significance in keeping Catholicism as one... the role of the Pope is as the best model to follow to follow the ways of Christ. The first pope was Disciple Peter. The pope is suppose to be the most devout and best follower of Christ... if so, they can manifest the characteristics laid out in the Bible in normal context better than anyone else.

The Church has long been one of the biggest buyers/sellers of gold... need money to continue building churches. The symbolism excites me in a way. I don't see it as materialistic to do so. Can you elaborate on your question?

This is love/hate. The high level of structure during Catholic mass makes it easy for someone to just follow along and not truly participate. When this happens, yes, it seems as though the Church is doing more than the individual. It shouldn't be this way. We are a communal faith, but participation is needed.

Don't worry, everyone confuses this one. We do NOT worship Mary [as a divine being]... but we hold her in high regard for being the mother of Christ. She was a very active part of everything in Christ's life. It's only right that we honor her. Joseph should too be included since he's the father of Christ, but little is really mentioned on him throughout the New Testament.

In all Christianity this is true. God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It's a difficult concept, but then again in psychology we have the id, ego, and superego, and in genetics and biology we have genes, physical body, and conscious mind.

Paper to accept communion? I'm confused. If you mean that one must be Catholic to receive the eucharist during mass it's because we don't regard communion as symbols. We believe in transubstantiation, meaning we believe it to be the real body and blood of Christ. It's a leap of faith. Will get detail if wanted.

Unsure how to answer.

You're right in thinking so. The existence of the Catholic Church holding a system similar to a government is both good and bad. It helps to unify the faith, but it creates spots for abuse.

Not all Churches are this way. The mass process must always be there, but how much time is spent in the homily [preaching] is on the priest. Some speak little. Some speak much more so. I hate to have preference from one priest to the other, but we had a visiting priest 2 weeks ago that gave the best homily I have heard in years. I came away with much insight.
    We need systems approach to government, no longer partisan patchwork
    adios guys, ill lurk 2/15

TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GermanBB View Post
    Aside from political significance in keeping Catholicism as one... the role of the Pope is as the best model to follow to follow the ways of Christ. The first pope was Disciple Peter. The pope is suppose to be the most devout and best follower of Christ... if so, they can manifest the characteristics laid out in the Bible in normal context better than anyone else.

Ok, makes sense.

The Church has long been one of the biggest buyers/sellers of gold... need money to continue building churches. The symbolism excites me in a way. I don't see it as materialistic to do so. Can you elaborate on your question?

I'm not sure. It just seems that so much attention is spent on asthetics of the church. I guess I'm comparing this to a protestant church where asthetics aren't as important. It seems to me Catholics love money . It could just be the Catholics I know. I'm sure.

This is love/hate. The high level of structure during Catholic mass makes it easy for someone to just follow along and not truly participate. When this happens, yes, it seems as though the Church is doing more than the individual. It shouldn't be this way. We are a communal faith, but participation is needed.

Thanks

Don't worry, everyone confuses this one. We do NOT worship Mary [as a divine being]... but we hold her in high regard for being the mother of Christ. She was a very active part of everything in Christ's life. It's only right that we honor her. Joseph should too be included since he's the father of Christ, but little is really mentioned on him throughout the New Testament.

Ok, makes sense.

In all Christianity this is true. God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It's a difficult concept, but then again in psychology we have the id, ego, and superego, and in genetics and biology we have genes, physical body, and conscious mind.

Also makes sense.

Paper to accept communion? I'm confused. If you mean that one must be Catholic to receive the eucharist during mass it's because we don't regard communion as symbols. We believe in transubstantiation, meaning we believe it to be the real body and blood of Christ. It's a leap of faith. Will get detail if wanted.

In other words I can not recieve the blood and body of Christ because I never went to the classes and never "graduated".

Unsure how to answer.

It was a bad question. It seems that protestants place a bigger emphisis on the personal relationship with God. I doubt it's any different with Catholics.

You're right in thinking so. The existence of the Catholic Church holding a system similar to a government is both good and bad. It helps to unify the faith, but it creates spots for abuse.

Ok, so humans are human

Not all Churches are this way. The mass process must always be there, but how much time is spent in the homily [preaching] is on the priest. Some speak little. Some speak much more so. I hate to have preference from one priest to the other, but we had a visiting priest 2 weeks ago that gave the best homily I have heard in years. I came away with much insight.

Than to be fare, I shouldn't say this about Catholic church in general. Some are better than others. Than I need to find a good one.
    Thanks!

Reps on recharge.

Hey thanks for replies!

Do any of use get like everytime you watch a video on youtube/tv, listen to a preacher/pastor/priest when talk to you about serving god and thats the main reason why we are created, that we are going in the wrong path of getting a job of something that isnt really serving god?

Just because i have my life set on serving the lord but also like doing my own job which i build custom stuf etc. So it does take alot of my time but i still find time to pray to our lord and read etc etc.

So yea would it be wrong to be having your heart set on to things? I know it says that you cannot love this world and love jesus christ you will and love the other but as we need jobs to support ourselfs how does this goes about? Im probably taking this way out of context but lol yea just a question i guess?
    Last edited by str8edge_muay; 01-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Here are a few pics from Rome and the Vatican:
    Attached Images

more:
    Attached Images

DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GermanBB View Post
    Just dropping in to say that while everything is falling apart around me, I'm finding Church to be a greater comfort than anything else. Peace be with all of you. Agnus Dei miserere nobis.
    It's all good we are here for you.

God bless everyone!

I've recently witnessed a lot that has changed my life forever.

TURN IT UP I love this song
    "If you don't like where you are, work harder."

"Failure is not an option."

"Tomorrow is never a guarantee."

more:
    Attached Images

rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

more:
    more:
    Here are a few pics from Rome and the Vatican:
    Great pics! Thanks so much for posting. One of these years\decades\centuries, I would love to visit these places. As soon as my kids are a bit older, I think this is going to be a sort of family pilgrimage. For now, I have to keep enjoying Disney World for a while!

Seriously thought, those are great, and again, thank you for posting.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Body like a stone, mind like a meatloaf.
    - Eric Cartman

Good questions! Great questions =)

Hi all. Great thread.

Most of the churches I go to spend very little time reading scripture and more time with formalities. In other words, I never walk away having learned anything. My time is taken up with Communion followed by the offering. Rince and repeat. Are all Catholic churches this way?

I was baptised Catholic and shortly moved to Florida where I spent most of my time in Baptist churches. I've never recieved communion as you can probably tell. I also attended all masses in the Army (4 of them on Sundays, you can guess why ) I always considered myself non-denominational protestant. Over all I feel like I had a stronger relationship with God when I was less intimidated by Catholic formalities. I have a Catholic wife that would love to see me convert. I just need to learn a little more first.

Thanks!
    Hello and welcome to our thread!

You asked lots of questions, and albethem great ones, in-depth answers to all of them would be a lot to read, so I'll try to hone in on some specifics for certains questions and observations you have

You asked: Why is the church worshipped in a way that take presidence over worshipping God? It seems that way to the Layman. It seems the church is everything.

Well, first of all, we want to remember the Supreme Model for everything in existence which is none other than the Great Holy Trinity and the relationships that each Person of the God-head has with each other, and therefore with humanity.

So, keeping that in mind, we cannot separate Almighty God from His Church.

The Epistle of St. Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 5:23 states

". . .as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body."

And in his Epistle to the Romans 12:4, 5 he says

"For as in one body we have many members, but all the members have not the same office: So we being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

Therefore, Christ is the Head of the Church (and all that pertains thereto (doctrine, Laws, Scripture, sacraments, the faithful (Church militant--Catholics on Earth, Church suffering--the holy souls suffering in Purgatory, Church triumphant--the Saints in Heaven), etc.).

So, whenever someone speaks of the Body of Christ, not only are they speaking of His Sacred Body given to us in the Blessed Sacrament, but also all faithful Christians, His adopted children.

We cannot separate Christ from His Church. His Truth subsists fully in the Catholic Church. When Catholics speak of Church, they aren't talking necessarily about a building or just an Earthly institution, but rather a Mystical Body which includes the supernatural (hence, the angels and stuff, grace, mercy, justice, all those things we cannot see or discern with human senses unless God wills).

The Church (that is the Catholic Church) is perpetually worshipping God (through the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass) and perpetually praying to God (the Divine Office). Very beautiful thing to contemplate .

You asked: Why is Mary worshipped? I understand her significance but to me she was a mere mortal. During my Catholic wedding we were sent to pray to Mary. I did not understand this.

Neither [faithfully practicing] Roman Catholics nor [faithfully practicing] Eastern Orthodox worship the Blessed Virgin Mary (or the Theotokos to the Eastern Orthodox). You will find that we rightfully venerate her as the highest of the saints and the greatest of all of God's creations. Through her comes to us all of the graces we receive from God the Son. She is the Mother of God. She is the great intercessor for the people of God. She is the perfect model of the Christian. She obeys God like no other mortal can. She praises and rejoices in the Lord like no other mortal knows how. She is full of grace!

Also, because she is the Mother of Jesus Christ, she knows her Son like no other creature. Christ, who is perfect, has the perfect relationship with His mother and will not disobey the Commandments of His Father (one of which is the honor thy father and thy mother). Christ is our Brother, so the Blessed Virgin is our mother as well. The perfect mother always has the best interest of her children at heart and prays constantly for our salvation through her Son.

If you want to take a more simplistic view of why Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox venerate Our Lady (although this hardly does justice to who she is), just like we are instructed to pray for each other, why wouldn't we ask her to pray for us?

Hope that helps somewhat, and if you would like answers to more of your questions, please just askt hem again!

Blessed Christmas season to you!

Christopher

Work is good!

Hey thanks for replies!

Do any of use get like everytime you watch a video on youtube/tv, listen to a preacher/pastor/priest when talk to you about serving god and thats the main reason why we are created, that we are going in the wrong path of getting a job of something that isnt really serving god?

Just because i have my life set on serving the lord but also like doing my own job which i build custom stuf etc. So it does take alot of my time but i still find time to pray to our lord and read etc etc.

So yea would it be wrong to be having your heart set on to things? I know it says that you cannot love this world and love jesus christ you will and love the other but as we need jobs to support ourselfs how does this goes about? Im probably taking this way out of context but lol yea just a question i guess?
    You are absolutely right, our main goal in existence is to serve God, to worship Him, and give Him the glory He is due .

However, watching Protestant (or Catholic or Orthodox) ministers tell you it's sinful to work in and of itself is a bad heresy.

Protestants always come down on Catholics reproaching us for our belief in salvation through works as well, so that should tell you how work is held in such esteem by our Lord that He commands it as well for our salvation.

It is sinful to NOT work, actually. Laziness is a Capital Sin, and according to Proverbs, God HATES it. We must work, just as Christ worked on Earth. Not only works of mercy, but also anything we do, which should be a prayer.

When Adam and Even disobeyed in Paradise, God cursed men to labor in the fields until their dying day which in short means they HAD to work.

Now obviously, there are jobs we should not do (selling drugs, prostituting, stripping, being a hit-man, etc. . .) but you should always thank God for being able to work and make sure you do your job to the best of your ability as an act of gratitude to the Divine Providence.

Did you know that in some religious communities, the monks or nuns only eat, work, pray, and worship? There are some where you are not even allowed to speak.

Work is by no means a bad thing.

Originally Posted by OboePlayaz1988 View Post
    Hello and welcome to our thread!

You asked lots of questions, and albethem great ones, in-depth answers to all of them would be a lot to read, so I'll try to hone in on some specifics for certains questions and observations you have

You asked: Why is the church worshipped in a way that take presidence over worshipping God? It seems that way to the Layman. It seems the church is everything.

Well, first of all, we want to remember the Supreme Model for everything in existence which is none other than the Great Holy Trinity and the relationships that each Person of the God-head has with each other, and therefore with humanity.

So, keeping that in mind, we cannot separate Almighty God from His Church.

The Epistle of St. Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 5:23 states

". . .as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body."

And in his Epistle to the Romans 12:4, 5 he says

"For as in one body we have many members, but all the members have not the same office: So we being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

Therefore, Christ is the Head of the Church (and all that pertains thereto (doctrine, Laws, Scripture, sacraments, the faithful (Church militant--Catholics on Earth, Church suffering--the holy souls suffering in Purgatory, Church triumphant--the Saints in Heaven), etc.).

So, whenever someone speaks of the Body of Christ, not only are they speaking of His Sacred Body given to us in the Blessed Sacrament, but also all faithful Christians, His adopted children.

We cannot separate Christ from His Church. His Truth subsists fully in the Catholic Church. When Catholics speak of Church, they aren't talking necessarily about a building or just an Earthly institution, but rather a Mystical Body which includes the supernatural (hence, the angels and stuff, grace, mercy, justice, all those things we cannot see or discern with human senses unless God wills).

The Church (that is the Catholic Church) is perpetually worshipping God (through the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass) and perpetually praying to God (the Divine Office). Very beautiful thing to contemplate .

You asked: Why is Mary worshipped? I understand her significance but to me she was a mere mortal. During my Catholic wedding we were sent to pray to Mary. I did not understand this.

Neither [faithfully practicing] Roman Catholics nor [faithfully practicing] Eastern Orthodox worship the Blessed Virgin Mary (or the Theotokos to the Eastern Orthodox). You will find that we rightfully venerate her as the highest of the saints and the greatest of all of God's creations. Through her comes to us all of the graces we receive from God the Son. She is the Mother of God. She is the great intercessor for the people of God. She is the perfect model of the Christian. She obeys God like no other mortal can. She praises and rejoices in the Lord like no other mortal knows how. She is full of grace!

Also, because she is the Mother of Jesus Christ, she knows her Son like no other creature. Christ, who is perfect, has the perfect relationship with His mother and will not disobey the Commandments of His Father (one of which is the honor thy father and thy mother). Christ is our Brother, so the Blessed Virgin is our mother as well. The perfect mother always has the best interest of her children at heart and prays constantly for our salvation through her Son.

If you want to take a more simplistic view of why Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox venerate Our Lady (although this hardly does justice to who she is), just like we are instructed to pray for each other, why wouldn't we ask her to pray for us?

Hope that helps somewhat, and if you would like answers to more of your questions, please just askt hem again!

Blessed Christmas season to you!

Christopher

Thanks for the reply. That clears things up quite a bit.

What I'm looking for is a way to become proud of being a Catholic. As many people do, I put more effort into something if I'm passionate about it. Your reply helps. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. That clears things up quite a bit.

What I'm looking for is a way to become proud of being a Catholic. As many people do, I put more effort into something if I'm passionate about it. Your reply helps. Thanks!
    Lol, you're welcome, just shoot a question if you have one ^^ yes being Catholic takes LOTS of praying, reading, and receiving sacraments to make even a slight breakthrough into things making sense lol.

You should go to St. Boniface/Holy Wisdom Church in North Hills of Pittsburgh ^^, they have a beautiful Latin Mass community run by FSSP priests. Love that church. I go to IUP so I try to go over there every now and then

Lol, you're welcome, just shoot a question if you have one ^^ yes being Catholic takes LOTS of praying, reading, and receiving sacraments to make even a slight breakthrough into things making sense lol.

You should go to St. Boniface/Holy Wisdom Church in North Hills of Pittsburgh ^^, they have a beautiful Latin Mass community run by FSSP priests. Love that church. I go to IUP so I try to go over there every now and then
    Wow, I definitely will do. I live very close to North Hills!! Thanks for the recommendation.

AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AreaCode201 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Turco, Rome is nice isn't it? I'm sure you ate very well. Did you get to see Mary Major (Santa Maria Maggiore)? That's my favorite of the Roman basilicas.

Thanks guys. I did eat well...probably a little too well But I actually lost a little weight from all the walking around and the irregular eating schedule.

I made it to Santa Maria Maggiore, but it was late in the day and it was closed. I really liked St Paul's Basilica. It's huge, the second largest after St Peter's, I think. Plus, St Paul is my baptism saint, so little bias there...Ha

The whole place is very cool. The Vatican Museum is absolutely overwhelming. Too much to look and see. Everything you've read and heard about it is right there in one place.

I'm thinking about doing The Way of St James with a friend this summer or fall. We'll see. No concrete plans yet.

DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DatsunKing1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would love to go to italy... Italians one fo my favorite languages.

How was your day guys?

I'm in pittsburgh too

(well cranberry)

where did you go to high school?

god bless,
    DK1

Originally Posted by DatsunKing1 View Post
    I would love to go to italy... Italians one fo my favorite languages.

How was your day guys?
    Italian is beautiful, but not as gr8 as French ^^ :P

My day. . .lool well it was one of those dayz, but I dunno we'll start again tomorrow I suppose.

Had a pretty heated discussion with mommy today about women wearing veils in church or while praying or visiting the Pope and how it's in Canon Law and in the Holy Bible, I was soo frustrated after that. . .

Had a convo with a friend today about mortal sins and damnation and Hell. *Rolls eyes* lol

Originally Posted by DatsunKing1 View Post
    I'm in pittsburgh too

(well cranberry)

where did you go to high school?

god bless,
    DK1
    Well, we had moved by the time I was high school but I used to live in Highland Park. I went to high school in State College

Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000) Sjudit84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Two things I can't digest (hello btw, sorry for me being nosy):

- Although they say everyone gets what they deserve, I see people getting away with the biggest sins (and they don't get anything back from God/karma, call it however you want it)
    - People who were nice all their lives, they get sick, suffer an accident, have unhappy things happening to them...while the really BAD people run around happily (I know it is not my job to determine who is good and who is bad but there are certain grounds on which we can call some bad and some good)
    "It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you're not!" - Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Sjudit84 View Post
    Two things I can't digest (hello btw, sorry for me being nosy):

- Although they say everyone gets what they deserve, I see people getting away with the biggest sins (and they don't get anything back from God/karma, call it however you want it)
    - People who were nice all their lives, they get sick, suffer an accident, have unhappy things happening to them...while the really BAD people run around happily (I know it is not my job to determine who is good and who is bad but there are certain grounds on which we can call some bad and some good)
    It's a matter of time.

I believe people are called when God is ready for them. Living a life of goodness can either be spread around the world, or taken into God's kingdom. Don't ever let it fool you. God is there to make everything better, not hurt anyone. You will see him when he calls upon you

As for karma, I very well believe. I've had a lot of karma happen to the people around me, which I found frightening, and very ironic. It's a matter of time. What goes around DOES come around. Even with the biggest sins with someone who isn't sorry, the biggest karma in the world is ending up in Hell for eternity

Oboe - Thats pretty cool!! When were veils active? lol I don't know the exact timeframe but I want to say EARLY

I plan to make a trip to the Vatican in my lifetime. Seems so great and peaceful