Free Weights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dumbell vs barbell

OK, dont toast me if there is already a post about this somewhere but I really wanna know

Are ALL dumbell exercises as good as Barbell exercises??

I know that many people enjoy dumbell bench pressing over barbell (Isn't weird how we always use benching as the example..) because they feel you use more stabilizers etc. but are all exercises the same??

For example Dumbell Squats?? are these as efficeint in releasing the hormones and using the huge amount of muscles as barbell squating. ?? Is there a difference? The only people I know who dumbell squat are people who workout at home and to barbell squat, have to clean the bar over their shoulders after their set.(I've been there)

Anyways I was just wondering Like I said if there's already a post on it, just gimme a link and I'll read over it

thx everyone

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: dumbell vs barbell

Originally posted by Free Weights
    OK, dont toast me if there is already a post about this somewhere but I really wanna know

Are ALL dumbell exercises as good as Barbell exercises??

I know that many people enjoy dumbell bench pressing over barbell (Isn't weird how we always use benching as the example..) because they feel you use more stabilizers etc. but are all exercises the same??

For example Dumbell Squats?? are these as efficeint in releasing the hormones and using the huge amount of muscles as barbell squating. ?? Is there a difference? The only people I know who dumbell squat are people who workout at home and to barbell squat, have to clean the bar over their shoulders after their set.(I've been there)

Anyways I was just wondering Like I said if there's already a post on it, just gimme a link and I'll read over it

thx everyone
    Squats and deadlifts *can* be done with dumbbells, but doing so is rather awkward, same for skull crushers. At least that's my opinion. Then, of course, there are narrow-grip bench presses, which can't be done with dumbbells. But most other exercises work well with dumbbells.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Re: dumbell vs barbell

Originally posted by PROSA
    Then, of course, there are narrow-grip bench presses, which can't be done with dumbbells.
    That's not true! Lay on the bench, close-grip the DBs, hammer grip (palms facing each other), elbows in nice and close to the torso, and press them.

Think about it.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Re: Re: dumbell vs barbell

Originally posted by MiloMan
    That's not true! Lay on the bench, close-grip the DBs, hammer grip (palms facing each other), elbows in nice and close to the torso, and press them.

Think about it.
    But by using the hammer grips, wouldn't you be working your muscles differently than you would with a barbell narrow-grip bp?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would say dumbells are probubly useful for SLDL
    but not so much BLDL or Squats
    I mean on heavy squats your grip strength is going to hold your whole set back
    and that's not good
    but I prefer DB's for most Upper Body Work

Chunk2212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dumbells should be used in excercises where they will allow for increase range of motion. In squats and deadlifts, the arms hardly move at all so its not like you will be increasing the range of motion by using dumbells. I say when it comes to squats and deadlifts, stick to the bar so you can pile on the weight. When it comes to movements such as presses and pulls where your arms are the primary limbs moving, go with the dumbells. Your range of motion will increase and you'll get a much better workout.

Free Weights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

mm..

WHat i'm wondering is if using the dumbells (assuming your grip doesn't go) does it have the same effect as barbell squats?

I mean, it's a hell of a lot safer then barbell squats so why doesn't everyone do dumbells instead, just get some wrist straps

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: mm..

Originally posted by Free Weights
    WHat i'm wondering is if using the dumbells (assuming your grip doesn't go) does it have the same effect as barbell squats?

I mean, it's a hell of a lot safer then barbell squats so why doesn't everyone do dumbells instead, just get some wrist straps

Because some ppl don't want to worry about grip while doing squats. Dumbell squats are fine, do them if you want. You'll get a bonus forearm workout in the mix as well.

ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000) ROCK CRUSHER is just really nice. (+1000)
    a db squat is a different movement than a barbell squat since the weight is carried lower. you can keep your back straighter like a Zercher squat. besides you can't go very heavy. same does for SLDL.

db's can be good for narrow presses like Milo said, just keep elbows tucked in.

most useless db exercise......db kickbacks.
    "i just might fade into Bolivian" ~ MIKE TYSON

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by ROCK CRUSHER

most useless db exercise......db kickbacks.
    werd; for the most part, but db and bbs have their uses and are quite effective when combined together
    Booo