pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pocketplayer--A Drummer's Journal

Starting a journal here as recommended by a member. The name pocketplayer is because I'm a drummer. Being a drummer means my goals might be different than so, especially in the younger forums.

Just started hitting the gym three weeks ago. I have lifted in the past, about five years ago with a push/ pull routine. Then my membership ended and I stopped going.

STATS:
    Age = 44
    Weight = 235
    Height = 6'
    Body Type = Mesomorph

GOALS:
    Lose 20 lbs to start with
    Lean up--I've always liked the very lean, athletic frames that are muscular but not bulky. If you remember Miles O' Keefe from the Tarzan movie w/Bo Derek. See; http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/milesokeeffe.html

I do not have this type of frame! I guess you always like what you don't have. I look more like a football player and build mass quickly. Getting cuts are much more difficult and my waist needs to be trim for symmetry.

I look at other men in the gym and find some frames attractive and others not so. Some are too bulky for their frame and I don't like this look at all. Some have poor symmetry--chest too large and arms too small. They haven't looked honestly at their frame to set balanced goals. This is my aim and picture have changed everything for me. They do not lie! This has been very humbling. I spoke with a man at the gym who lost 90lbs. He was 300 a year ago months ago. I asked why so heavy. He said he didn't think he looked heavy! The mind deceives itself. I did the same when I was 240.

Personality:
    Perfectionist...which can be good and bad. I burn out easily after time because I focus too much. I obsess over details and get totally consumed by projects. Balance has always been a problem.

I desire to ease into this new routine and take it slowly. I want to enjoy the gym and look at the long haul. My muscle memory has kicked in from previous training.

I am not a counter or measure fanatic. Just no interest in this. I seek symmetry and the look. I admit it. The health benefit is obvious, but to lift without a goal is stupid to me. I have to seek that symmetrical look ala Bob Paris from the early 90's.

Routine = Push/ Pull

PULL
    BACK
    Sauna
    Lat pull-wide
    Lat pull-narrow
    Rows
    Cable rows
    Shrugs
    Overhead pull
    Close grip pull--standing

ARMS
    Bicep curl
    Bi-curl?cable
    Bi-curl?dumbbell
    Preacher curl
    Hammer curl
    Sauna

PUSH
    SHOULDERS
    Sauna
    Press
    Side
    Front
    Rear
    Cable pulls

CHEST
    Press
    Incline
    Decline
    Flyes
    Dips
    Sauna

Legs & Abs
    LEGS
    Sauna
    Leg extensions
    Leg curl
    Leg press
    Squat
    Back extensions

A B S
    Crunch Press
    Sauna

I workout on, off, on switching from push, pull, legs & abs

CARDIO
    Various machines--bike, tread, stair climber 2x week

SUPPS
    Protein Powder-- before & after workout. After workout add starchy carb within an hour
    Fish Oil
    Multi Vit

BASIC DIET
    Proteins: leans meats, chicken breast, turkey breast, salmon, veriety of beans in chili, eggs

Carbs: fruits & veggies, love my frozen berry drink, oats, wheat break, whole grain bread

Fats: omega 3, almonds, extra vir olive oil

CHEATS: potato chips, slurpies, diet soda

Big Life Changes:
    Quit Smoking--YEAH...single greatest thing I've done for health & fitness. I am no longer a slave to nicotine...a drug like any other!

Quit drinking beer--not as big a deal as smoking, but don't miss it. This is where the slurpies come in and soda...which is fine for me right now.

PICS
    June 06--using Total Gym at 220lbs
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ut%20June%2006

June 07
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...20%20June%2007

Aug 07--after two weeks working out
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...out%20Aug%2007

First post out...
    Last edited by pocketplayer; 08-25-2007 at 04:04 AM.

dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi pocketplayer, welcome to the journals! Looks like you are off to a good start, keep it up!

Darren
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

I'm back, visit my new journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=455993991

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck to you! Do you play in a band?

I love the look of the men on Men's Health magazine. They have more of that lean/athletic look also. I prefer that over super muscular/bulky. My hubby, however, is somewhere in between and I haven't minded looking at him for 31 years.

For women, I've always preferred the athletic build with narrower hips and I, of course, have been "blessed" with curvy hips. I guess we do always want what we don't have. I'd also like straight shiny hair and the ability to tan easy. I wonder where we can put in our orders? LOL
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dartol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    Good luck to you! Do you play in a band?

I love the look of the men on Men's Health magazine. They have more of that lean/athletic look also. I prefer that over super muscular/bulky. My hubby, however, is somewhere in between and I haven't minded looking at him for 31 years.

For women, I've always preferred the athletic build with narrower hips and I, of course, have been "blessed" with curvy hips. I guess we do always want what we don't have. I'd also like straight shiny hair and the ability to tan easy. I wonder where we can put in our orders? LOL
    31 years, wow!

I like curvy.

Yeah it is funny... straight haired girls get perms and curly haired girls get their hair straightened. Blondes go brunette and brunettes go blonde. LOL The grass is always greener on the other side!

Darren
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

I'm back, visit my new journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=455993991

Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Welcome Pocketplayer!

I remember Miles O' Keefe, first thing that comes to mind is his great chest

Shooting for Bob Paris symmetry is lofty goal, but a great choice.

Oh and by the way I'm a recovering perfectionist, so I understand where you are coming from there.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading more. Have a great weekend!

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome. I think you are our first drummer. But we do have lots of computer geeks and a juggler.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pocketplayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very cool...thanks for the support.

I've been making observations regarding body types and bone structure. Take Miles O' Keefe. Look at his facial structure. Very defined and narrow bone...angular or the opposite of pudgy. His physique reflects this as well.

When I was younger it would have been nice to be aware of body types and genetics. I would try hard to achieve the physical condition of those I could never compare to, i.e., Miles O? Keefe. I also recall sitting in the back of my buddy?s pickup in high school watching that Tarzan movie when the girl next to me looked at his body in awe and said, ?Wow?do you know how hard it must have been to develop a body like that!? It was the way she said it that inspired me and the quest began!

The perfectionism has been a problem. For a period, it is great?very quick accomplishment. For the long haul, terrible. I began cycling in 1993 to combat this lack of endurance. I wanted to develop more consistency and cycling allowed for this. I still ride but since joining the gym three weeks ago I am using the cardio equipment there.

The other manifestation of perfectionism is a loss of interest without warning. This happened last time I started working out again. I can cycle or go to the gym for six months and then all of a sudden have little to no interest, almost like a bipolar cycle. This is why I am taking it slowly and making sure I have fun in the gym. The great thing about being a little older is not allowing the young guns to influence me in their intense routines. That was then, this is now?

As for band?no longer play seriously. Church and classic rock stuff. Yet find me a good bass player and I will jam all day long. Again, the perfectionism thing. I hated playing with others who weren?t prepared and the drummer sits in rehearsal waiting endlessly for the other guys to work out their parts and their vocal harmonies. Ugh?vocal harmonies. The Last band I played with were talented, but unorganized. They could sing Crosby, Nash and Stills harmonies, spending all day working on stuff they could do on their own time. Yawn.

All part of the learning curve...

Nest part of my training is the supplement quandry. Thanks to some mebers like Dartol I have a good confirmation on the basics. Next sup is creatine with a Gatorade shooter to improve absorption.

The tone of the over 30 forum is so much different than the others..not that those forums are a bunch of flamers, but there's more a quiet confidence in here.
    Last edited by pocketplayer; 08-26-2007 at 12:04 AM.

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome from a long time bass player who also used to smoke and drink. I hear ya, it is rehersal, not practice, get your practice done on your time not mine
    I have had the pleasure of playing with some incredible drummers over the years. I think Geddy Lee said it best when he said he almost hated messing up a good song with vocal and guitar. My goal has been to achieve the Diane a.k.a. Hibi, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COCKs, body type as well

p.s. oh as soon as I saw "pocketplayer" I figured you were a drummer or bassman
    UP the IRONS!