Closed Thread
Page 330 of 333 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,900 of 9967
    Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ND07 View Post
    So i have just started going to the gym this past month and i need some help on my workout routine should be for a beginner.

I try to do upper body 3 times a week , (biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders and back) and legs 2 a week but i think this is too much. So how often should i be doing i be doing my upper body workouts?
    You need to post this in the general forum. This thread is specifically for All Pro's routine.

If you're a beginner, you should be doing something like All Pro's, or Starting Strength, or Stronglifts. Don't make up your own sh!t until you're a bit more experienced.

FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Guys I was wondering if I could get a little advice. After doing a little reading and figuring out that I had been warming up with to much weight. I decided to get a really good nights sleep, which is a rare thing for me, and retest my week 5 bench press. I passed it and maybe even had another rep in the tank. So do I up the weight for the next cycle or do I stick where I am as I failed it on the proper test day?

I reckon the reason I have been failing it over the last three weeks of heavy days is down to the extra weight on the warm ups as I had not calculated the weight of the bar.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this as I would like to make good and proper progress.

Best

FrankFF
    MWF

Running in Ironman Wales Triathlon 2014 in aid of the Macmillan cancer charity.

http://www.justgiving.com/frank-williams2

Be generous.

Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Leetard179 View Post
    Yes I did calculate my 10RM. I havent failled any lifts but my bench press is heavy for me. One week before the program i tested it out, I got 10 reps with 60kgs. It was hard but it was technically my 10 rep max so i started with it.

This weeks heavy day I really struggled just to get 11 reps. I know i will be able to finish this cycle successfully but I am pretty scared for the next cycle.

My form is good for these exercises but I do feel I'm not at my optimum right now.

I plan on taking a week off after this cycle and coming back - hopefully stronger/better.

What do you think I should do if I fail my first week of second cycle pretty hard? Should I just deload again to cycle 1 weight or even less than that?
    Sleep for me is the deciding factor on how I do with my bench.

I can get crappy sleep and get all my other lifts in, but my bench will be crappy.....

Make sure you're getting enough sleep and enough food (especially protein).

Also, I wanted to note, that you say you are scared about what will happen next cycle? You are already failing in your mind now. Stop that ****! If you get your bench on test day and you think 10% will be too much, try 7.5% (or even 5%) increase for the bench for next cycle.

Originally Posted by FrankFF View Post
    Hey Guys I was wondering if I could get a little advice. After doing a little reading and figuring out that I had been warming up with to much weight. I decided to get a really good nights sleep, which is a rare thing for me, and retest my week 5 bench press. I passed it and maybe even had another rep in the tank. So do I up the weight for the next cycle or do I stick where I am as I failed it on the proper test day?

I reckon the reason I have been failing it over the last three weeks of heavy days is down to the extra weight on the warm ups as I had not calculated the weight of the bar.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this as I would like to make good and proper progress.

Best

FrankFF
    Sleep was probably the thing that made the most difference......

FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jimmer74 View Post
    You are already failing in your mind now. Stop that ****!
    This!
    MWF

Be generous.

DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by edwardhsi View Post
    I'm a bit confused with this routine. I've read everywhere that you should usually only hit a certain muscle groups once to twice a week. However, with this routine since it's a full body more or less it's hitting the same muscle group about 3 times a week. Wouldn't that be detrimental? Or is it because since you cycle from heavy to medium to light work outs it actually becomes more efficient?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137364463
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000)

This should help us quite a bit.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...7203123&page=1
    Q: Is this routine more for cutting or bulking?
    A: Both. Weight gain or weight loss is diet. The routine is very forgiving on reduced calories. If you eat enough to gain weight you will gain size (all diet info:*http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981).

Q: Is this routine for size or strength?
    A: Both. It will split the gains pretty evenly for most people.

Q: Why is it considered a “beginner” routine?
    A: Because the weight/reps increase too quickly for someone who has trained CORRECTLY for an extended period of time.

Q: How do I select my starting weights for this routine?
    A: You will use your 10 rep max for each exercise. To determine your 10 rep maxes, go to the gym one day (at least 2 days BEFORE starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1).

Q: How many of the exercises require warm up sets?
    A: Only the first 3 (Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Rows) require the 2 warm up sets. Perform only the 2 work sets for the remaining 4 exercises (OHP, SLDL, Curls, Calf Raises).

Q: I don’t understand how much weight I should be using on the warm up sets, please give an example.
    A: If your work set weight is 200 lb. for squats then you will do one set at 50 lb. (25%), one set at 100lb. (50%), and then two work sets at 200 lb. (100%).

Q: What if 25% or 50% of my work set weight is less than the 45 lb. barbell?
    A: You have two options: you can just use the barbell if the weight you need to use is close enough to the weight of the barbell (ie. 35-40 lb.) OR you may use dumbells if the weight is significantly less (ie. 20 lb. in which case you would use two 10 lb. dumbells).

Q: What about cardio and abs?
    A: If you want to do cardio, 20 minutes of HIIT is recommended on off days (2-3x a week). As far as abs go, you may either do them on off days with cardio or on workout days AFTER the routine. Weighted decline situps, weighted knee raises, and plate twist are recommended. Personally I do weighed decline situps after my heavy workout, knee raises after my medium, and plate twist after my light (2 sets of each, incrementing reps with the program except from 12-16 instead of 8-12; add weight if you get 2x16 on week 5).

Q: I only have time for 2 workouts a week, what do I do?
    A: If your schedule only allows you to get to the gym twice a week, then you should do 2 heavy days a week (separated by at least 2 rest days). However, doing this will impede recovery while also reducing overall volume, so it is not IDEAL.

Q: I don’t have access to a barbell, can I use dumbells for this routine?
    A: Yes you can, although it is far from ideal. This routine was designed to use barbells for a reason. It will be hard to perform heavier weights with dumbells and/or even find heavy enough dumbells for some of the exercises.*

Q: Can I add/replace/modify any of the exercises in this routine OR can I change it to a lower/higher rep range or fukc with anything else?
    A: NOPE. This routine was built as is for a reason, all body parts will be worked sufficiently. Of course, no one is stopping you, but don’t expect ANY help/advice.

Q: What do I do at the end of the cycle?
    A: If you completed all 12 reps with good form on week 5 heavy day, then you get to add 10% for the next cycle (where you start over with this new weight, on week 1 with 8 reps). If you fail anything, then you repeat the weight for that exercise next cycle.

Q: What if I fail the reps before week 5?
    A: If you fail the reps on any other workout you still continue the routine without changing ANYTHING, week 5 heavy day is the only day that matters when it comes to increasing the weights you’re using.

Q: When I am ready to progress onto a different routine/when am I no longer a ‘beginner’?
    A: When your progress has stalled or you are bored of this one (generally 6 months-1 year+).

HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000)

This should help too.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...7454593&page=1

FAQ (Please read before posting)courtesy of Syncmaster

Question 1: So how many sets am I doing exactly?
    Answer: You are doing exactly 2 work-sets for each exercise. In addition, you are doing 2 warm-up sets for the first three exercises only (Squats, Bench Press and Bent Over Rows) - the remaining four exercises do not require warm-ups, however you can do them if you feel the need to. Here is a blue-print for all the sets you should be doing, in that order:

Squats: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bench Press: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bent Over Row: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Over Head Press: work-set, work-set
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: work-set, work-set
    Curls: work-set, work-set
    Calf Raises: work-set, work-set

Q2: How do I know what weight I should get started with for each exercise in the routine?
    A: This is explained in detail here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post928710923

Q3: Will I gain muscle mass on this routine?
    A: despite what you may think, gaining muscle mass is not just about lifting weights; the training is just a catalyst, which will create the conditions necessary for new musclee to be built. However, to actually build that muscle, you need to eat at a calorie surplus (consume more calories than you burn). There is no way around this, and you will not be able to avoid having to do some simple calculations if you want results. To understand this, visit this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 and make sure to read and understand the entire first post by Emma. If you have any questions regarding diet, ask them in that thread. This is possibly the single most important thread you can read over here - if you will only read on thread, let it be that one.

Q4: I have never lifted before and I am completely out of shape. Is this routine appropriate for me?
    A: All Pro designed this routine with EXACTLY you in mind. It's perfect for you.

Q5: I have tested my 10 rep maxes for each exercise. I have already completed two full weeks of the first cycle, and the weights seem too low for me, I feel like I could lift much more! Should I increase the weight?
    A: first things first - avoid increasing weight mid-cycle and only do it with the beginning of the next cycle if necessary. Second, the routine is designed so that the first 2-3 weeks will feel relatively easy - this is true for everyone, and you are not superman for feeling the same thing. Finish the first cycle completely (full 5 weeks) without adding any weight to any exercise, even if it does feel too simple. If at the end of the 5th week of the first cycle you still feel that some of the weights are way too low, you may attempt to increase the weight by slightly more than 10% for the next cycle - however, this only makes sense if it was REALLY too easy for you. if it was just a "little" easy, you're better off sticking with the program. All of these dilemmas can be avoided if you simply test your 10 rep maxes for each exercise properly, so make sure to take your time doing that properly.

Q6: there is no triceps exercise in this routine, what gives?
    A: your triceps are being hit quite hard during both Bench Presses and the Overhead Presses - as a beginner, you do not need more than that. Do not add any extra triceps work or you are almost guaranteed to fail on either the BP's or the OHP's, or both.

Q7: I like doing pull-ups, push-ups, and standing on my head. Can I add in those exercises into the routine?
    A: do not add any extra exercises until you have completed a minimum of 3 cycles. Once you're going into the fourth, and you feel like you need to do some extra work on certain muscles, you can add an isolated assistance exercise for them - do only one set and at the very end of your routine (after calf raises). The assistance exercise follows the same rep scheme as all the other exercises. And do not ever add more than one assistance exercise per cycle - if you do so, and some of your other lifts stall, you won't know which of your new additions might have caused that stall. Stick to only adding one extra assistance exercise per cycle, up to a maximum of two (though I believe that is already pushing it). Only do this if you know and have solid reason to believe that you really do require that extra assistance work - if uncertain, ask in this thread, someone will surely help you out.

Q8: Why are there no regular Deadlifts in this routine, only stiff-legged deadlifts? I feel like a boss doing deadlifts
    A: there are two reasons for that:

1) Neither squats nor regular deadlifts address the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors complex) properly. By doing squats + stiff-legged deadlifts, this problem is solved, and a balance is introduced.

2) Squats and regular deadlifts are two exercises that are very taxing to the central nervous system. As a beginner if you did both of those exercises on the same routine, you are more likely to burn out sooner than later. Stif-legged deadlifts solve this issue.

Q9: what type of extra cardio should I do?
    A: it is best that you do not overdo your cardio on this routine, since it can get you fatigued enough to hamper your performance in the gym. Two 30 minute jogging sessions (moderate heart rate or HIIT) per week should be enough. I would make sure that none of your cardio takes place on the day right before any of your heavy days. Do any cardio you want to do on rest days. Remember though that cardio is primarily good for your cardiovascular system's health - for fat loss, your diet will be far more important than any cardio that you do.

Q10: What type of ab workouts should I do?
    A: seems like everyone responds to different ab exercises, so you will just have to try for yourself and see which one works best for you. you can do cardio either on your off days, or on your work-out days right after the work-out, assuming you still have enough energy for them. if you go for crunches or similar, make sure to do them with extra weight - aim for 15 reps on the first week of the cycle, and add 2 extra reps per week for a total of 25 reps on week 5 of the cycle. Ab workout is not necessary for everybody though - your midsection is getting tons of workout in this routine since it acts as a stabilizer in basically every single exercise. So up to you to decide, though it's probably a good idea not to introduce cardio until after you've completed the entire first cycle. Start with one set, and if it does not hinder your performance in the other exercises - add a second set at the start of the next cycle.

Q11: Are there any videos that show how each exercise should be performed?
    A: there are tons of them online. A good place to get started is this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FAF74A332E11464

Q12: Can I substitute any of the exercises in this routine for other exercises?
    A: as a general rule, no, you can't (barring certain situations where an injury may prevent you from doing a specific movement). One exception being the curls, which can be substituted for standing upright rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html). This is more of a compound exercise and it actually fits the rest of the routine more nicely. Curls were added by all pro mostly because "everyone would want to do them anyway", so if your ego will survive it, go for the upright rows instead of the curls - it's a far better overall body exercise. Up to you though.

Q13: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A: Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that the program was designed with a barbell in mind; some of these exercises are more difficult to perform correctly with dumbbells, not to mention that as the weights you lift increase, your grip on the dumbbells will become a limiting factor (not so with a barbell). Do everything you can to get your hands on a bar, and only use dumbbells as a last resort.

Q14: damn, I missed my medium training day due to [insert any reason here]. What should I do?
    A: if for some reason you are not capable of performing three exercises on a given week, you can perform only two, however both will then have to be heavy days. Allow a minimum of 2 rest days both before and after your second heavy day on such a week. However, doing this too often will hinder recovery - the routine was very carefully designed for 3 weekly workouts, and changing that should only be done in extreme cases.

Q15: So I managed to complete all reps for both work-sets for all exercises on my "test day" (heavy day of week 5). How much should I increase my weights for those exercises?
    A: You should add 10% to each exercise that you passed, and don't forget to include the weight of the bar. For example, if you use an Olympic 45 lbs. bar, and you load that with 55 lbs. for squats, you would increase the weight up to (55 + 45)*1,1 for the next cycle, which would make it 110 lbs (again, this includes the barbell).

Q15: So I have managed to complete all reps for all exercises on all workouts, except for the overhead press... I only managed to get 11 reps on the second work-set of week 5 heavy day for those... can I bump the weight up anyway for the next cycle? I mean come on, I only missed one rep... pretty please?
    A: You can already see by the sarcastic way the question above was phrased that the answer is going to be "no" you can only increase the weight for the next cycle by 10% if you manage to complete 12 reps for each work-set on heavy day of week 5. Not a single rep more, and not a single rep less. If you failed even a single rep, you will need to repeat the weight for that failed exercise for the duration of the entire next cycle (5 week period). This is a safe-guard designed to make sure you do not keep infinitely stalling on the same exercise and to give the involved muscles enough time to rest and recover for some more banging.

Q16: How do I know if I am a "Beginner" or not?
    A: A beginner is, generally speaking, anyone who cannot squat twice his body weight, and bench press 1,5 times his body weight, for one repetition. So if you weigh 200 lbs for example, you should be able to squat once for close to 400 lbs. and bench press once for close to 300 lbs, in order to be considered to have moved beyond the "beginner" stage. It has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting weights - there are many people who have been going to the gym for a few years and who are still considered beginners. As long as your lifts are noticeably below the threshold described above, you are still a beginner and you'll benefit greatly from this routine.

DustinS1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I saw a couple videos on upright rows and I've seen a couple times in this thread that this is recommended to replace curls if I'm not obsessed with having to do curls.

The videos mentioned upright rows target the shoulders - But when I was doing the form in my room it felt like your back and triceps could also be getting targetted.

OHP is already targetting shoulders so I was wondering if OHP plus SR's would be too much shoulder work.

So what do people here recommend? Curls or upright rows? Or some other compound lift that could replace curls?
    Last edited by DustinS1987; 06-21-2013 at 06:19 AM.

clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clarkecm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DustinS1987 View Post
    So I saw a couple videos on upright rows and I've seen a couple times in this thread that this is recommended to replace curls if I'm not obsessed with having to do curls.

The videos mentioned upright rows target the shoulders - But when I was doing the form in my room it felt like your back and triceps could also be getting targetted.

OHP is already targetting shoulders so I was wondering if OHP plus SR's would be too much shoulder work.

So what do people here recommend? Curls or upright rows? Or some other compound lift that could replace curls?
    It's personal preference. The upright row is a compound exercise, the curl is isolation. Allpro put curls in so people wouldn't continually ask why can't i add curls. He said you could do either or. I would say most people do the curls.

GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GKC45 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DustinS1987 View Post

How do you figure it targets your tricep?!
    Just show up. Move some iron. Put in the time. Eat enough food.

DustinS1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GKC45 View Post
    How do you figure it targets your tricep?!
    Well if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just seemed like if you added a bunch of weight, the tricep might be a little part of the movement - Not that it's 'targetting' the tricep.

noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    uh-oh.. question regarding below.. since i am on a calorie deficit, to reduce % body fat, does this mean i can expect NOT to get stronger?! how am i expected to progress through beyond cycle 1 week 4?? i need to build muscle mass to pass succeeding cycles, but according to below, i won't build any muscles since i am on a calorie deficit.. do i understand this correctly? i'm very new to nutrition and working out. and btw, the link doesn't work.

A: despite what you may think, gaining muscle mass is not just about lifting weights; the training is just a catalyst, which will create the conditions necessary for new musclee to be built. However, to actually build that muscle, you need to eat at a calorie surplus (consume more calories than you burn). There is no way around this, and you will not be able to avoid having to do some simple calculations if you want results. To understand this, visit this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 and make sure to read and understand the entire first post by Emma. If you have any questions regarding diet, ask them in that thread. This is possibly the single most important thread you can read over here - if you will only read on thread, let it be that one.

speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50) speeddemon11L will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by noobydooby View Post
    uh-oh.. question regarding below.. since i am on a calorie deficit, to reduce % body fat, does this mean i can expect NOT to get stronger?! how am i expected to progress through beyond cycle 1 week 4?? i need to build muscle mass to pass succeeding cycles, but according to below, i won't build any muscles since i am on a calorie deficit.. do i understand this correctly? i'm very new to nutrition and working out. and btw, the link doesn't work.
    You will still have your n00b gains. Since you are just starting out, you will still be able to put on muscle and lose fat. I have been at a 1000 calorie deficit and I am still seeing great gains in size and strength. After awhile, a choice will have to be made to either lose fat or gain muscle, but you have a long ways to go before you get to that point. I am on Cycle 5 (so, around six months) and am still making muscle gains and fat loss. So stick to the program (lifting AND diet) and you will see progress on both fronts.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FitnessFan76 View Post
    Is it safe to look sideways at the mirror while doing SLDL/BOR to ensure my back is remaining flat? That's the only way I can be sure, but if it will eventually lead to injury I'll just trust that I'm doing it right. I'm not getting any lower back pain, and the mild lower back stiffness I used to have with SLDL at the very beginning has stopped happening now.
    Originally Posted by DeltaCharlie75 View Post
    No, keep your head forward in a neutral position. Brace your core prior to bending over, you will feel when your back starts to slip out of position.

If in doubt, video your sets and review each one.
    I was experimenting with this today, and I reckon I've found a perfect way to make sure my RDL form is what it should be. Start with my weight slightly back and as I go down, let my bum go back, keeping my head looking forwards at all times of course; when I feel the bar scrape against my knee, that's my cue to come back up. Sound OK? After all, you don't have to go ultra deep with RDL do you?

'Light' day today... squats still kicked my arse. Everything else was a lot more manageable but I can see that it won't be long before 'light day' isn't very light at all for any exercise. Left more tired today than any light day before.

Now I really feel like filling myself full of chicken breast.
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

I'll start lifting later. tential's Avatar
    tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HILMAN76 View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...7454593&page=1

FAQ (Please read before posting)courtesy of Syncmaster

Question 1: So how many sets am I doing exactly?
    Answer: You are doing exactly 2 work-sets for each exercise. In addition, you are doing 2 warm-up sets for the first three exercises only (Squats, Bench Press and Bent Over Rows) - the remaining four exercises do not require warm-ups, however you can do them if you feel the need to. Here is a blue-print for all the sets you should be doing, in that order:

Squats: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bench Press: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bent Over Row: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Over Head Press: work-set, work-set
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: work-set, work-set
    Curls: work-set, work-set
    Calf Raises: work-set, work-set

Q2: How do I know what weight I should get started with for each exercise in the routine?
    A: This is explained in detail here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post928710923

Q4: I have never lifted before and I am completely out of shape. Is this routine appropriate for me?
    A: All Pro designed this routine with EXACTLY you in mind. It's perfect for you.

Q5: I have tested my 10 rep maxes for each exercise. I have already completed two full weeks of the first cycle, and the weights seem too low for me, I feel like I could lift much more! Should I increase the weight?
    A: first things first - avoid increasing weight mid-cycle and only do it with the beginning of the next cycle if necessary. Second, the routine is designed so that the first 2-3 weeks will feel relatively easy - this is true for everyone, and you are not superman for feeling the same thing. Finish the first cycle completely (full 5 weeks) without adding any weight to any exercise, even if it does feel too simple. If at the end of the 5th week of the first cycle you still feel that some of the weights are way too low, you may attempt to increase the weight by slightly more than 10% for the next cycle - however, this only makes sense if it was REALLY too easy for you. if it was just a "little" easy, you're better off sticking with the program. All of these dilemmas can be avoided if you simply test your 10 rep maxes for each exercise properly, so make sure to take your time doing that properly.

Q6: there is no triceps exercise in this routine, what gives?
    A: your triceps are being hit quite hard during both Bench Presses and the Overhead Presses - as a beginner, you do not need more than that. Do not add any extra triceps work or you are almost guaranteed to fail on either the BP's or the OHP's, or both.

Q7: I like doing pull-ups, push-ups, and standing on my head. Can I add in those exercises into the routine?
    A: do not add any extra exercises until you have completed a minimum of 3 cycles. Once you're going into the fourth, and you feel like you need to do some extra work on certain muscles, you can add an isolated assistance exercise for them - do only one set and at the very end of your routine (after calf raises). The assistance exercise follows the same rep scheme as all the other exercises. And do not ever add more than one assistance exercise per cycle - if you do so, and some of your other lifts stall, you won't know which of your new additions might have caused that stall. Stick to only adding one extra assistance exercise per cycle, up to a maximum of two (though I believe that is already pushing it). Only do this if you know and have solid reason to believe that you really do require that extra assistance work - if uncertain, ask in this thread, someone will surely help you out.

Q8: Why are there no regular Deadlifts in this routine, only stiff-legged deadlifts? I feel like a boss doing deadlifts
    A: there are two reasons for that:

1) Neither squats nor regular deadlifts address the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors complex) properly. By doing squats + stiff-legged deadlifts, this problem is solved, and a balance is introduced.

2) Squats and regular deadlifts are two exercises that are very taxing to the central nervous system. As a beginner if you did both of those exercises on the same routine, you are more likely to burn out sooner than later. Stif-legged deadlifts solve this issue.

Q9: what type of extra cardio should I do?
    A: it is best that you do not overdo your cardio on this routine, since it can get you fatigued enough to hamper your performance in the gym. Two 30 minute jogging sessions (moderate heart rate or HIIT) per week should be enough. I would make sure that none of your cardio takes place on the day right before any of your heavy days. Do any cardio you want to do on rest days. Remember though that cardio is primarily good for your cardiovascular system's health - for fat loss, your diet will be far more important than any cardio that you do.

Q10: What type of ab workouts should I do?
    A: seems like everyone responds to different ab exercises, so you will just have to try for yourself and see which one works best for you. you can do cardio either on your off days, or on your work-out days right after the work-out, assuming you still have enough energy for them. if you go for crunches or similar, make sure to do them with extra weight - aim for 15 reps on the first week of the cycle, and add 2 extra reps per week for a total of 25 reps on week 5 of the cycle. Ab workout is not necessary for everybody though - your midsection is getting tons of workout in this routine since it acts as a stabilizer in basically every single exercise. So up to you to decide, though it's probably a good idea not to introduce cardio until after you've completed the entire first cycle. Start with one set, and if it does not hinder your performance in the other exercises - add a second set at the start of the next cycle.

Q11: Are there any videos that show how each exercise should be performed?
    A: there are tons of them online. A good place to get started is this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FAF74A332E11464

Q12: Can I substitute any of the exercises in this routine for other exercises?
    A: as a general rule, no, you can't (barring certain situations where an injury may prevent you from doing a specific movement). One exception being the curls, which can be substituted for standing upright rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html). This is more of a compound exercise and it actually fits the rest of the routine more nicely. Curls were added by all pro mostly because "everyone would want to do them anyway", so if your ego will survive it, go for the upright rows instead of the curls - it's a far better overall body exercise. Up to you though.

Q13: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A: Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that the program was designed with a barbell in mind; some of these exercises are more difficult to perform correctly with dumbbells, not to mention that as the weights you lift increase, your grip on the dumbbells will become a limiting factor (not so with a barbell). Do everything you can to get your hands on a bar, and only use dumbbells as a last resort.

Q14: damn, I missed my medium training day due to [insert any reason here]. What should I do?
    A: if for some reason you are not capable of performing three exercises on a given week, you can perform only two, however both will then have to be heavy days. Allow a minimum of 2 rest days both before and after your second heavy day on such a week. However, doing this too often will hinder recovery - the routine was very carefully designed for 3 weekly workouts, and changing that should only be done in extreme cases.

Q15: So I managed to complete all reps for both work-sets for all exercises on my "test day" (heavy day of week 5). How much should I increase my weights for those exercises?
    A: You should add 10% to each exercise that you passed, and don't forget to include the weight of the bar. For example, if you use an Olympic 45 lbs. bar, and you load that with 55 lbs. for squats, you would increase the weight up to (55 + 45)*1,1 for the next cycle, which would make it 110 lbs (again, this includes the barbell).

Q15: So I have managed to complete all reps for all exercises on all workouts, except for the overhead press... I only managed to get 11 reps on the second work-set of week 5 heavy day for those... can I bump the weight up anyway for the next cycle? I mean come on, I only missed one rep... pretty please?
    A: You can already see by the sarcastic way the question above was phrased that the answer is going to be "no" you can only increase the weight for the next cycle by 10% if you manage to complete 12 reps for each work-set on heavy day of week 5. Not a single rep more, and not a single rep less. If you failed even a single rep, you will need to repeat the weight for that failed exercise for the duration of the entire next cycle (5 week period). This is a safe-guard designed to make sure you do not keep infinitely stalling on the same exercise and to give the involved muscles enough time to rest and recover for some more banging.

Q16: How do I know if I am a "Beginner" or not?
    A: A beginner is, generally speaking, anyone who cannot squat twice his body weight, and bench press 1,5 times his body weight, for one repetition. So if you weigh 200 lbs for example, you should be able to squat once for close to 400 lbs. and bench press once for close to 300 lbs, in order to be considered to have moved beyond the "beginner" stage. It has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting weights - there are many people who have been going to the gym for a few years and who are still considered beginners. As long as your lifts are noticeably below the threshold described above, you are still a beginner and you'll benefit greatly from this routine.
    This is in the OP. And reformatted as well to make more sense.
    Not really sure why you reposted it. If anyone has anything they want in V4 lemme know, I'm around every day now to keep it updated just PM me.

Edit: Did you mean the calculator? http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator ? I can add that too. I had it bookmarked actually and I use it lol.
    Edit2: All links have been fixed for the next one. I really can't remember where that post is for Q1 it's bugging me.
    Last edited by tential; 06-21-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Originally Posted by tential View Post
    This is in the OP. And reformatted as well to make more sense.
    Not really sure why you reposted it. If anyone has anything they want in V4 lemme know, I'm around every day now to keep it updated just PM me.

Edit: Did you mean the calculator? http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator ? I can add that too. I had it bookmarked actually and I use it lol.
    Edit2: All links have been fixed for the next one. I really can't remember where that post is for Q1 it's bugging me.
    I copy and pasted those Q&A because they helped answer a lot of my questions, hopefully the next poster would read those and see if his question can be answered through it too.

Thanks to you and everyone else who put together those FAQ's and Q&A's.

tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HILMAN76 View Post
    I copy and pasted those Q&A because they helped answer a lot of my questions, hopefully the next poster would read those and see if his question can be answered through it too.

Thanks to you and everyone else who put together those FAQ's and Q&A's.
    I don't think I did much of anything other than reformatting...

I'm working on the new one now though so that's why I need people to PM me with what they want in there.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FitnessFan76 View Post

Now I really feel like filling myself full of chicken breast.
    So I did.
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anteeke will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Done with C1W1! Light day wasn't too bad besides benching. I did all the reps but man my bench is nowhere near where it should be. Hoping by the end of C3 it'll be decent!
    New stack:
    Gaspari Myofusion ProBiotic
    iForce Hemavol
    CL Orange OxiMega
    CL Orange Triad
    Scivation Xtend

I rep back 100%
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

chubbybones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubbybones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best

FrankFF
    Hey Frank,
    I guess only you can really answer this.It depends on how you feel from your test day compared to your retest.Did you only retest one exercise? i.e. only the Bench? or did you retest all 7 exercises?Obviously testing one exercise will leave plenty of energy in the tank.Ok so you took on a little more weight than you should of, but being warm up sets really shouldnt have impacted that much on your overall progress but thats just IMO.Remember,you are doing this program for the long haul,so there's no hurry to add on weight.
    Good luck.
    How to figure out your 10rm starting weights,

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133395553&p=928710923&viewfull=1#post928710923

0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0npoint125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    #stamp

Best

FrankFF
    I meant to answer this dunno why I didn't, I personally would up the weight next cycle. The worst that happens is you fail. I prefer to push forward rather than remain stagnant. You know your body though and know when you're over reaching.

This is my opinion though, I simply remade this thread, and am not an expert. It's too bad I haven't seen All Pro post in awhile it'd be nice to have him back.

noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by speeddemon11L View Post
    You will still have your n00b gains. Since you are just starting out, you will still be able to put on muscle and lose fat. I have been at a 1000 calorie deficit and I am still seeing great gains in size and strength. After awhile, a choice will have to be made to either lose fat or gain muscle, but you have a long ways to go before you get to that point. I am on Cycle 5 (so, around six months) and am still making muscle gains and fat loss. So stick to the program (lifting AND diet) and you will see progress on both fronts.
    i've just finished cycle 1. and i've definitely gained strength, AND lost weight. i plan on just continuing with what i'm doing. i was just surprised to read that FAQ.

Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howarth17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Someone just recomended this program to me today. Do you guys really see progress only doing some excercises for 2 sets? Just doesnt seem like a lot to me. I haven't started yet though so I really have no idea how difficult it can be.

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Howarth17 View Post
    Someone just recomended this program to me today. Do you guys really see progress only doing some excercises for 2 sets? Just doesnt seem like a lot to me. I haven't started yet though so I really have no idea how difficult it can be.
    Nah, no one progresses on this program.
    It's reaching part 4 and 30,000 posts for seriously no reason.

Originally Posted by chubbybones View Post
    Hey Frank,
    I guess only you can really answer this.It depends on how you feel from your test day compared to your retest.Did you only retest one exercise? i.e. only the Bench? or did you retest all 7 exercises?Obviously testing one exercise will leave plenty of energy in the tank.Ok so you took on a little more weight than you should of, but being warm up sets really shouldnt have impacted that much on your overall progress but thats just IMO.Remember,you are doing this program for the long haul,so there's no hurry to add on weight.
    Good luck.

CB, I did only retest bench but I would not think that it would make to much difference as BP is the second lift in the routine and I would not be tiring the muscles much when squatting. Last night was my light day if week 5 and although I had already done 2 warm up sets and two work sets of bench press in the morning as a retest I still did the scheduled BP last night during my workout with no problems. I also retested my OHP and passed that too with no worries.
    I guess sleep is playing a much bigger role than I thought. Just for back ground last Monday was test day and my sleeps time leading up to it were Friday 5 hours, Sat 4 hours and Sunday 5 hours. I am guessing that sleep is playing a major role as managed to get 7 to 8 hours a night for most of this week and a solid 8 on Thursday night.

Tential, thanks for taking time to reply I appreciate you post and the benefit of your experience.

Best

FrankFF
    MWF

Be generous.

ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Finished C1W3, everything seemed to go extremely smooth this week! No extreme hicups, had some troubles on my OHP but really that was about it, last rep on heavy day I had my whole body shaking to push out the last rep haha but I can definitely tell it's progressed a lot, considering my light day was yesterday and I kept getting distracted by someone else at the gym talking to me so I threw on the heavy weight (65lbs) as opposed to the light weight (55lbs) and busted out both sets no problem haha woops!

Pretty excited to start W4 on Monday, ready to destroy it! Calyces and forearms are getting much better haha makes for easier RDL, thats for sure :P

Only thing I really need to work on is sleep patterns now, during the week I wake up at 5:45 for work, weekends I will usually stay up ;later and wake up a few hours later so come heavy day (mon), I can't get to bed as early as I should and have a lack of sleep for monday, not good but I am working on it.

On a side note I have a question about squats, not sure if I am the only one but right where my hip creases on the front when going down on the squat tends to hurt sometimes, like it needs to be stretched or something? Not sure if it is a pinched nerve maybe? Feel it a lot but it doesn't seem to effect my workout too much. I don't think it is my form because I have been told my form looks great multiple times, plus I don't see how squats could hurt you right there? Any suggestions?

Pleace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Forgive me for the possibly dumb question, as i am very new to working out.
    Im looking to gain muscle mass, and from what i understand, to do this, it is better to do say a 5x5 workout, where you are dealing with more weights and volume, but this has a high amount of reps(8-12)? will this workout still work for that, as long as i am eating a calorie surplus.

Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jonesman59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I feel like a tool doing curls in any kind of rack with a barbell. How do you guys go about this? Otherwise I can only use dumbbells or the bars with a set weight already and then it makes figuring out what weight to use on my medium and light days very difficult.
    Last edited by Jonesman59; 06-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 330 of 333 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 ... LastLast