Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston, TX

Keith11072 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NW side

I live at Eldridge and 290. Been going to 24 hour at 290 and bingle after work lately...Sometime go to different locations.....jones @ 1960.......529 @ HWY6.......and I-10 in Jacinto city...

~~~~ Lover/Fighter ~~~~ dragon*princess's Avatar
    dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm still exploring my new city (Houston), so....
    In your opinion what are some of the best clubs around and why?

xoxo xoxo

The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dragon*princess
    I'm still exploring my new city (Houston), so....
    In your opinion what are some of the best clubs around and why?

xoxo xoxo
    What kind of music?
    What location? (Downtown, Northside, Woodlands, Baytown, Rice Village, etc)
    What's your budget for one night?
    To save time and confusion, let's just assume that I know everything.

There is no bias on my behalf. Not that it matters, I can be biased if I want to since I am a genius and can argue two contradictory positions simultaneously.

Bob Wills wannabe cowboyathlete's Avatar
    cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Anyone here go to the Ballys on North Shepherd?
    1. I thought all along you'd be the death of me, but I met one tonight who wants what's left of me!
    2. You are so full of s***, maintenance is still unclogging the toilet.
    3. Save a horse, ride a cowboy!
    4. This mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.
    5. I'd like to check you for ticks.

bendyprissy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone go to the Bally's at 290 & Hollister or the one in the Woodlands? I desperately need a workout partner with similar goals.

~~~~ Lover/Fighter ~~~~ dragon*princess's Avatar
    dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by The Big Unit
    What kind of music?
    What location? (Downtown, Northside, Woodlands, Baytown, Rice Village, etc)
    What's your budget for one night?
    Music, I can listen to anything especially on Friday/Saturday. With that being said, I would actually really like to find a few places with great food and some live jazz during the weekdays.

Anything between Downtown and Memorial would be fine.
    No budget for Princess.

xoxo kisses xoxo

The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dragon*princess
    Music, I can listen to anything especially on Friday/Saturday. With that being said, I would actually really like to find a few places with great food and some live jazz during the weekdays.

Anything between Downtown and Memorial would be fine.
    No budget for Princess.

xoxo kisses xoxo
    If you like Jazz you should go to Sambuca Jazz Cafe. Always live bands on Fri and Sat and the place is always a good time. Little bit older crowd there, but that's pretty much everywhere they play jazz. If you have no budget then you should have dinner there to. OMG it's to die for, ribeye is from another planet and they make an excellent dirty Martini to. It's downtown off of Texas and Travis

Another good Jazz club is Mercury room. It's next door to Boaka bar and it used to be that if you paid to get into one you could go to the other for free too. Boaka bar is club music/booty music and IMO the best place in town to get down. It's used to be notorious for being THE place in town to pick people up ..........I've heard It was also voted by Playboy as the best club in the US one year and whenever Playboy has parties in town they always go there. Ohh it gets crazy in there.........I've heard It's off of Main and Prairie. It's only 2 blocks away from Sambuca so you could visit both in the same night.

Other than that you can go to Red Door on Sunday night, they have a live 3 man band that plays easy jazz and the terrace on the roof gives you a great view of the skyline. (Mango Martini is wicked over there!) This is actually where I had my first date with my (now) wife.

I've never been but I've also heard good reports about Red Cat Jazz Cafe. It's down 2 blocks on Brazos and (I think) Fannin. It's actually next door to Red Star which is another club that is totally off the hook. Downstairs is a bar/lounge area and upstairs is the place to get down with it! Lot of hot single people in there too and alway some action........I've heard

Be smart and valet downtown. You'll never find a spot to park. Valet right in front of the door and when you're ready to go your vehicle will be there for you in minutes.
    To save time and confusion, let's just assume that I know everything.

There is no bias on my behalf. Not that it matters, I can be biased if I want to since I am a genius and can argue two contradictory positions simultaneously.

davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bendyprissy
    Anyone go to the Bally's at 290 & Hollister or the one in the Woodlands? I desperately need a workout partner with similar goals.
    Howdy, my wife and her friend go to that Ballys on 290. Their working out with a trainer there.

Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    *sigh* that was my old gym... i grew up off 290 and elridge and moved to 290 and hollister a year or so ago... now im in florida, just waiting to go back home eventually!
    Last edited by Lauren; 02-08-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Originally Posted by davebar
    Howdy, my wife and her friend go to that Ballys on 290. Their working out with a trainer there.
    Unfortunately it does no good for me if they have a trainer, but thanks.

Originally Posted by Lauren
    *sigh* that was my old gym... i grew up off 290 and elridge and moved to 290 and hollister when a year or so ago... now im in florida, just waiting to go back home eventually!
    If you ever get back here, to the same area, let me know.

Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lauren will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you ever get back here, to the same area, let me know.
    itll be a while (at the very least 4.5 years...).. good luck though. It's easy to meet people there. I used to love that gym.

Originally Posted by Lauren
    itll be a while (at the very least 4.5 years...).. good luck though. It's easy to meet people there. I used to love that gym.
    Thanks

XXRAVENXX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

partner in crime

I wouldnt mind working out with someone.

Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Todd3126 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone from south of Houston? Fwood/Pland area?

swolejah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    from Cypress... I work out in my garage and soon hope to workout at the new 24 hr off 290 and spring cypress.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    24 Hour Fitness on Richmond near Sage.

Unbearable at night. Weekday mornings before 7AM are good. Weekends, the crowd starts coming in around 9 o'clock.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by egoatdoor
    24 Hour Fitness on Richmond near Sage.
    Ego, were you able to get a pretty good deal with 24 Hour Fitness? If so, how did you go about working them down on the price?
    Currently fluctuating in beautiful pulses

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WannaBeModel
    Ego, were you able to get a pretty good deal with 24 Hour Fitness? If so, how did you go about working them down on the price?
    I was satisfied with the price. I moved here in late August to take a new job with my company. I stopped at the club three weeks before when I was down here finalizing my apartment lease.

I took a tour, got the prices for all of the plans and told the salesperson I would sign up when I came back to town permanently at the end of the month. He seemed anxious to get me to sign up right away, so he came up with the b.s. line about an "Olympic" promotion and offered to waive the "enrollment" fee, which was $100, and reduce the monthly fee from $30 to $28. Anyway, I said fine. I paid $147 up front which was first and last month's dues, $79 processing fee and taxes.

The $28 is $7 less than the price I was paying at LA Fitness in Pennsylvania, so I think its a good deal. Ballys is cheaper, but the place is a dump. You get what you pay for.....

I love the fact they are open 24 hours because of the flexibility in when I can work out.

Health club sales are usually slower in the summer and between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Salespeople may also be anxious to get people to sign up near the end of the month if they are short of their quotas. My advice is to use whatever leverage you can. Go in during July or August, or early December. Ask them what they will do to get you to leave your old club( this is great for getting those "initiation" and "enrollment" fees lowered or waived). If you have a low rate from somewhere else, ask them to match it or charge a lower rate. Go in at the end of the month when meeting sales quotas may allow you more room to negotiate. If still not satisfied, offer to "sleep on it" and maybe they'll get anxious and lower the price.....

Beware that they will try to sell you prepaid plan where you pay 3 years up front ($850) and then something like $149 a year after that. I think this is where the salesperson makes their real money. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really sure you will be staying at that club for a long time. I didn't bite because I could be moving again in 2 years.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Krissypoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the info, Ego.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to join very soon...probably at the end of this month. I will go in this week to check it out, so to speak. I need to get a feel for whoever my salesperson will be and see if I can get them to work with me. I'll definitely use some of the tactics listed...they seem like they could work pretty well.

I refuse to go to Bally's. I have been in them and heard the horror stories as well. I currently lift at UTHSC's Rec center, but the hours will not be sufficient with upcoming competition prep. Very nice gym, not very crowded, and close to home. I hate to give it up, but it looks like I will be forced to do so if I have to do the dreaded AM cardio.
    Currently fluctuating in beautiful pulses

Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10) Burzmali is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anybody at the Houstonian?

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cowboyathlete
    Anyone here go to the Ballys on North Shepherd?
    I almost joined that one.

Went with the Houston Gym.
    *No Crew*

Bob Wills wannabe cowboyathlete's Avatar
    cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cowboyathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mozelstein
    I almost joined that one.

Went with the Houston Gym.
    How is that one? I often drive past it to get home.
    1. I thought all along you'd be the death of me, but I met one tonight who wants what's left of me!
    2. You are so full of s***, maintenance is still unclogging the toilet.
    3. Save a horse, ride a cowboy!
    4. This mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist.
    5. I'd like to check you for ticks.

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cowboyathlete
    How is that one? I often drive past it to get home.
    Nothin fancy, gets the job done though. They aren't lacking anything I need.

Although, I would like to have access to a rowing machine (erg) for cardio. Those things are brutal.
    *No Crew*

dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dev07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone know any good supplement stores in west Houston?

Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djcdm21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is there any power lifters at the 24hr fitness on 290 bingle I go there alot
    The Bar never stays on my chest!

gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) gr3g will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im in the woodlands...go to 24 hr up here...anyone else?

davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000) davebar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dev07
    Does anyone know any good supplement stores in west Houston?
    Vitamin Shoppe is good, big selection...theres one on I-10 near Fry road and another at Westheimer and Hillcroft.

Theres Nutrition Depot on Westheimer and Grey Falls Dr...near Kirkwood.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...EIMER+RD+77077

Theres another Nutrition store on Westheimer near Crescent Park, across from P.F. Changs.
    Last edited by davebar; 04-05-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Anyone post here that goes to 24Hr on Westheimer and Hayes? or 1960 and Jones?

txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) txjump12500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Y

I'm a city-wide Y member, tend to use Bellaire and Downtown, occasionally Post Oak and even less frequently, Cypress (buddy lives up there). Always looking for workout partners for Bellaire, Downtown or Post Oak. Am thinking of changing membership to somewhere else just for change of scenery.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast