TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Hip Flexor Strain - Cannot Squat and Deadlift for time being - Possible alternatives

So basically I have a hip flexor strain on my left side and squatting and deadlifting causes me pain and further exacerbates the problem. So I have been left with no choice but to suspend performing those exercises, especially disconcerting is that it happened when I finally broke through my plateau on both of those lifts. For the time being I'd like to minimize strength losses that will occur and so I would like to know possible alternatives to work the quads, hamstrings, and lower back that will not activate the hip flexors. Thanks for the help.
    [QUOTE=BredFromFire;381180361]working out without deads and squats is like having sex without the girl.

Lifts All Raw (2014):
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 475 (Belt Only)
    Deadlift:565
    Total: 1405

[QUOTE=enkaroxch;734516233]Saudi Arabia has an incredibly warm relationship with Israel.[/QUOTE]

SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000) SumPersonGuy is just really nice. (+1000)
    GHRs, Goodmornings (possibly). I'm sure there are others, but those are the two big ones I can think of.

gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500)
    just ghr's mostly, definitely not good mornings ^. obviously leg extentions and leg curls and all that stupid s*** is the only other ones i can think of, maybe try the all the squat type machines in your gym and find out if they aggravate the area or not. other than that try and get some grip work in and you shouldnt be losing to much strength
    go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law. now repeat after me, i am free

- bulldog

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work on fixing the problem, not necessarily avoiding squats and deadlifts. Get a foam roller or PVC pipe and work on your upper legs from all angles. On top of that, do lots of static stretching for the hip flexors.

CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROMAGS1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would drag a light sled forward or backward and gauge the pain/discomfort based on that and then proceed once the area is full of blood with dynamic/static stretches and then maybe maybe some light whatever. If it's too painful to do even that, I'd go see a professional. GL...

TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gahptramsenoru View Post
    just ghr's mostly, definitely not good mornings ^. obviously leg extentions and leg curls and all that stupid s*** is the only other ones i can think of, maybe try the all the squat type machines in your gym and find out if they aggravate the area or not. other than that try and get some grip work in and you shouldnt be losing to much strength
    Well I've been making a point of doing heavy barbell shrugs, so my gripping should be alright. And to other poster, I tried good mornings with just the bar yesterday and it immediately aggravated the area. My mom's a doctor and she told me to avoid all movements involving the hip flexor and that the problem will fix itself. But yeah, I guess I'll do leg extensions and leg curls. But is there anything else? I wanna do compounds. I'm pretty sure that the cause of the problem was as follows. Pretty much I was concurrently running Coan/Phillipi for deadlift and a variation that I made up using the same percentages for squats. So instead of the assistance exercises mentioned for the deadlift program I was doing, front squats, lunges, overhead squats, and leg extensions. Progressively after a number of weeks of running both programs I think is when the strain set in. Before I got to week 9 on deadlifts and week 7 on squats I realized that I couldn't continue either program without extreme pain and a likely exacerbation of the problem.
    [QUOTE=BredFromFire;381180361]working out without deads and squats is like having sex without the girl.

Lifts All Raw (2014):

[QUOTE=enkaroxch;734516233]Saudi Arabia has an incredibly warm relationship with Israel.[/QUOTE]

gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TheRighteous View Post
    Well I've been making a point of doing heavy barbell shrugs, so my gripping should be alright. And to other poster, I tried good mornings with just the bar yesterday and it immediately aggravated the area. My mom's a doctor and she told me to avoid all movements involving the hip flexor and that the problem will fix itself. But yeah, I guess I'll do leg extensions and leg curls. But is there anything else? I wanna do compounds. I'm pretty sure that the cause of the problem was as follows. Pretty much I was concurrently running Coan/Phillipi for deadlift and a variation that I made up using the same percentages for squats. So instead of the assistance exercises mentioned for the deadlift program I was doing, front squats, lunges, overhead squats, and leg extensions. Progressively after a number of weeks of running both programs I think is when the strain set in. Before I got to week 9 on deadlifts and week 7 on squats I realized that I couldn't continue either program without extreme pain and a likely exacerbation of the problem.
    running squat and deadlift with coan/phillipi was not a good idea, + that much assistance. so its just a strain ? if so it wont last for long with proper rolling and lots of stretching the hip flexors, shouldnt take long to recover from, i had a lower back strain a couple of months ago and with foam rolling and stretches, it was completely gone in one week, try to get some light squats before stretching if you can
    go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law. now repeat after me, i am free

- bulldog

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can you do leg presses? If so do those to keep the quad muscles built up until you are able to squat again.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

Originally Posted by gahptramsenoru View Post
    running squat and deadlift with coan/phillipi was not a good idea, + that much assistance. so its just a strain ? if so it wont last for long with proper rolling and lots of stretching the hip flexors, shouldnt take long to recover from, i had a lower back strain a couple of months ago and with foam rolling and stretches, it was completely gone in one week, try to get some light squats before stretching if you can
    I'm not familiar with foam rolling and don't very much at all about hip flexor stretches, so I'll need some more info into both of these things.

Lifts All Raw (2014):

Registered User yamahaguitarguy's Avatar
    yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yamahaguitarguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Same thing happened to me before so i just did box squats instead of squats

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TheRighteous View Post
    So basically I have a hip flexor strain on my left side and squatting and deadlifting causes me pain and further exacerbates the problem. So I have been left with no choice but to suspend performing those exercises, especially disconcerting is that it happened when I finally broke through my plateau on both of those lifts. For the time being I'd like to minimize strength losses that will occur and so I would like to know possible alternatives to work the quads, hamstrings, and lower back that will not activate the hip flexors. Thanks for the help.
    You should only be out for 6 weeks. Keep it mobile and flexible through gentle stretches. Then come back slowly. I had a serious deep hip flexor strain and it still niggle every now and again. Lots of stretching helps. I would personally not do anything lower body for 4 weeks and reasses then.