Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Squat strength

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IMO I would drop the light day - give the body and mind more recovery time.
    You say you've been stuck for 2-3 months - I feel for you. I bet you're busting your ass every time - very frustrating I know.

My advice would be (other than dropping the light day) take a week or so off, hit the gym again slightly lighter than your at now, and SLOWLY increase the poundages each time you hit your target reps - you will pick up some GAINING MOMENTUM (quoted Stuart Mcrobert) and hopefully surpass your current poundages.

Make sure you're eating right too - I know it's obvious but if you're missing some veggies and fruit, not getting your carbs etc it makes a huge difference.

Bringing back farmer tans Scott_32's Avatar
    Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, I'm definatley guilty of not always eating right. It's hard to out here because I can only actually go eat 4 times a day, and that's if i decide I don't need any sleep. I try to suck down a ton of protein and meal replacement shakes to make up for it. I am gonna do the 5x5 by the book and try and blow past this. It's kinda embarrassing being able to bench more than I squat. I don't have small legs, I just can't power out of a ATG squat for some reason. I've had 2 knee surgeries, but it doesn't really hurt me till a day or two after. And I can load up a leg press all day, squats are just an ass kicker for me. Yep, it's frustrating. lol
    -Your anger is a gift-

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Scott_32 View Post
    I do SL deadlifts, DB or BB lunges and leg curls for the backside.

Here's my leg workouts, they occur on different days.

Day 1- SL Deadlifts
    Leg Curls
    Hack Squats
    Lunges DB or BB

Day 2
    Squats
    Leg press
    Step ups
    Extensions

I felt like this was pretty well balanced, but I'm certainly not an expert on how to work the legs.
    It's not too bad, but the leg curls aren't going to do much for you because they don't work the most important part of the hamstring, the part that extends the hips. Try replacing them with glute ham raises, pull throughs, or good mornings. I know I get way more out of regular deads than stiff legs because I can use more weight.

Also, learning to box squat could make a HUGE difference. I bet if you replace your regular squats with box squats for 2 months your squat will really shoot up.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....=body_120squat
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Scott_32 View Post
    I am gonna do the 5x5 by the book and try and blow past this.
    If you do this, I still recommend you do them on a box.

Originally Posted by Scott_32
    And I can load up a leg press all day, squats are just an ass kicker for me
    I already told you, that's because you have strong quads and weak hamstrings and glutes.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post

Also, learning to box squat could make a HUGE difference. I bet if you replace your regular squats with box squats for 2 months your squat will really shoot up.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....=body_120squat
    yeah, i'd say even 3-4 weeks of box squats would make a big difference. just make sure the box is low enough to get the proper effect of it (ie- dont use a bench!)
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    enjoy redness

Hold on everyone...I need to get more popcorn and some water.
    you put your popcorn in water?

i put mine in celltech
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Bringing back farmer tans Scott_32's Avatar
    Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's what I'll do. To hell with all this hard work and box squatting nonsense. I'll order some Celltech
    -Your anger is a gift-