Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Vulcan 500 is a nice starter bike and will keep up with traffic on the highway, but, as has been mentioned, that size bike doesn't have a lot of power for passing if you need it. A 250 would be a good local cruiser and will be very economical, but it will have no power. What all riders go thru is the fact that when you 1st start riding, 50mph feels like 100mph. Then 3 months later, 50mph feels like you are crawling, and you are ready to move up in size. Don't discount a bigger scooter like a Burgman, they are 400cc and some are 600cc, handle great and have a lot of power, if you can get past the scooter image.

My 1st bike was a Vulcan 750. My wife and I learned on it, then I bought a Suzuki Boulevard C50 and she kept riding the 750. The Boulevard has adequate power and rides like a larger bike. My co worker has a HD Fatboy, and the C50 is actually a bit bigger when you compare side by side. We traded the 750 in last fall for a Vulcan 1500, which to me is a dream machine. It's so smooth, handles great, has plenty of power, and is all day in the saddle comfortable. It's a 5 speed but it's geared so you don't need 5th until you are hitting 70mph. 80 on the highway is purring along with ease.

We looked at the HD's, but I can't justify paying 20k for a bike when the metrics have a better product for 1/2 to 2/3 the price. We paid about $10k for the 1500, right out of the shipping crate.

Most definitely- take the MSF course. Even if you already know how to ride, you will learn from it.

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bulldog71 View Post
    I have a better idea! Go over to sportbikes.net and do a search on their forums about good beginner bikes and see what they have to say on the issue! There are a lot more people there with a lot more experience than some of us here!
    yes, that is a good site

Approximately Accurate GregariousWolf's Avatar
    GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GregariousWolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    what with the price of fuel, i want to look into getting a bike to tool around town. i'm a little long in the tooth for a crotch rocket, so was thinking i might start out with a 250 cc bike.

any bikers that might steer me in the right direction? like a honda rebel or yamaha vigaro maybe?

am not looking to do any road touring. just around town to save gas and to work about 10 miles away.
    The Rebel is cute, but hasn't been updated in ages. They used to make a 450cc model which was a really good starter bike, but they only produced it for a couple of years.

Good starter bikes:

Ninja 250 - I love this little bike. It's a blast. This is a really good machine if you're short or small-framed. Kawasaki just redesigned it for 2008. Big guys will out-grow it quickly, though. No better small displacement sport bike, unless you import a Honda CBR250 from Japan.

Ninja 500 - a little bigger than the 250. There are better bikes in the 500-600cc range.

Suzuki GS 500 F - Fared Air-cooled parallel twin.

Suzuki SV650 - Watercooled v-twin. Comes in fared and unfared models. Very popular starter bike here in the U.S.

Honda CB600 (aka Hornet in Europe) - Watercooled inline 4cyl. Immensely popular bike across the pond. Unfared.

Yamaha FZ600 (aka Fazer in Europe) - Watercooled inline 4cyl. Similar to the SV and CB in cost and performance. Comes fared or unfared.

I don't know as many cruiser models. There are some descent machines in the sub-1000cc range, like Honda Shadow VLX 600 - a water cooled v-twin. This is a fairly tame cruiser that fits smaller folks. Big guys might want to start with something like a the Shadow 750.

Plenty of other good advice in this thread. Take a safety course is important, especially if you've never ridden before.
    Last edited by GregariousWolf; 04-21-2008 at 09:15 AM.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ok, thanks to everyone for their help. as i previously stated, i was torn between a 250 and something bigger, but i was hoping that something would fall in my lap which would make the decision for me.

and that has happened. a 2001 250 ninja for 1200 bucks. of course, no i am all excited, and already have designs on a much bigger back for next year....presuming i learn how adequately.

my girl can have the ninja next year if i move on.

this was a fun thread. thanks all.

sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50) sluge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO. 600cc. I used to ride, well I won't go into that, but yeah I believe a 600 is all one needs for the street.

Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10) Old School is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Glad you found a bike you like Boathead...I just got into bikes last year...I went the used route as well...really used...I picked up a 79 Honda CB400 ...I love it! I like the older vintage bikes.
    Eat fresh, eat whole, eat clean.

Digithedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gotta vote with the suzuki gs500 or the Kawasaki 500, both excellent bikes. You wouldn't regret living with either one. There are nicer, but I'd love commuting on them. The SV650's are wonderful but a bit expensive for a first bike. Though they can be had responsibly priced on the used market.

Most 250's just don't have the acceleration that you may need to stay out of trouble. Acceleration can save your butt, just like brakes! The 250 Ninja is an exception, but you have to keep the engine rev'd around 9k+.

My current ride is a 2001 Concours with 70k on the clock, primitive by today's standards, but then so am I..

Mike

Digithedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Please ride carefully, get MSF trained....

The Ninja 250 is built for a Japanese race class. Importing it here keeps the production volume up. It is a very respectable bike. It loves rev's, and handles very nicely. Like riding the wind, it almost isn't there...

Please ride safe, and respect that bike...

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Glad you found a bike you like Boathead...I just got into bikes last year...I went the used route as well...really used...I picked up a 79 Honda CB400 ...I love it! I like the older vintage bikes.

my first bike was a 74 cb450. Love the old Hondas.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You are big enough to start on at least a 750cc. This will give you enough power to get out of any situation. Combine this with enough speed to give you some enjoyment. Then you need to factor in the better braking to avoid the rest of the jerks on the road and you are set.

I ride a bike for my main transportation. I have a 1980 Goldwing. Old school cruiser with some power and comfort. The drawback is that is is very heavy. Something you will really notice the day after leg day.

Get a used 750 cruiser the get used to everything. One thing that is true for every biker is that you will always want a bike that is louder, faster, and tougher looking then the one you currently have.

Enjoy the ride.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ok, thanks to everyone for their help. as i previously stated, i was torn between a 250 and something bigger, but i was hoping that something would fall in my lap which would make the decision for me.

and that has happened. a 2001 250 ninja for 1200 bucks. of course, no i am all excited, and already have designs on a much bigger back for next year....presuming i learn how adequately.

Glad you found a bike!!

Let me know how you like this one. I'm thinking about looking for a used bike too. Years ago I had a Yamaha 500 and didn't like it. Too weak. That's why I suggested something a little more powerful but I'm curious how the Ninja performs.

Stay Safe!

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

sounds like a good plan
    the ninja 250 has a little more scoot that say a rebel 250 so its a good compromise and the price is right!

Building a better body cdcharbo's Avatar
    cdcharbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cdcharbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cdcharbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cdcharbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cdcharbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Ninja 250 is one of the best starter bikes around. When you are ready to upgrade, you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is there is a major difference between sport bikes and cruisers. A Ninja 250 will be able to go over 100 mph. My last bike was a Honda shadow 1100 and it topped out at 110 mph. A 600 cc sport bike will go over 150 mph and out accerate any production car, while a 650 cruiser will struggle to pass a car a freeway speeds.

You made a great choice for starter bike that can cruise the freeways with out having to worry about flipping it in first gear.

gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My first bike was a Honda Shadow Aero 750. That was a good size for me to start at. A 250 would have been too small for my big butt, so the 750 was it. It just so happens that most insurance companies start to charge more above 750cc, so you'll hopefully get a break if you stay below that.

Like others have suggested though, take the MSF course. It will be the best money you can spend (plus it saves you the driving test in many states).

If you are still undecided about a bike, MSF is also a good way to ride someone elses bike to see what you like/dislike.

Good Luck!

Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Herrmann22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yea, I was reading if you take a motorcycle riding course and complete that you don't have to take the license riding test for a cycle, just a written one right? That seems like the thing to do, especially if you've never owned a motorcycle before.

I had my temps for a cycle a long time ago but got rid of my crappy bike before I ever got a license so I'd have to start over. This time around I will take a motorcycle course!

I like the Ninja idea for a starter bike. Maybe not as comfortable as a nice cruiser but with new riders you aren't planning on taking it cross-country so it's no big deal.

The key is learning how to ride a bike, all the rules, and how to stay safe! Then the bigger bikes can come later down the road.

Watch out for those idiots on the road man. That's your toughest job by far!

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    late last night, my deal on the 2001 ninja fell thru. and then this morning a 2004 ninja 250 fell in my lap for 1600 bucks. i think someone wanted me to have a 250 ninja. i pick it up sunday. take the permit test on wednesday.....

hopefully i'll be able to ride to work on thursday.

i teach math to emotionally and learning disabled kids.....had them figure out how much i'll save in gas money, if i ride it thru October: $400.

not bad at all. i figure that at the end, i'll be able to sell the bike for nearly what i paid, and will have $400 bucks in my pocket. not bad!

bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    late last night, my deal on the 2001 ninja fell thru. and then this morning a 2004 ninja 250 fell in my lap for 1600 bucks. i think someone wanted me to have a 250 ninja. i pick it up sunday. take the permit test on wednesday.....

hopefully i'll be able to ride to work on thursday.

i teach math to emotionally and learning disabled kids.....had them figure out how much i'll save in gas money, if i ride it thru October: $400.

not bad at all. i figure that at the end, i'll be able to sell the bike for nearly what i paid, and will have $400 bucks in my pocket. not bad!
    Sux to hear bro, but the new one sounds better!
    My Beast Sports Nutrition 2Shredded Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156177641#post156177641

I know if I don't have my "special underwear", my workout is shot!!:) -- Hikemike

6 packs are for lightweights and underachievers! I've got the whole keg!

it's all good, bulldog. i am good to go, and i can't wait.

I am feeling strong today JAT35's Avatar
    JAT35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Bike

2003 VTX1800
    30 to 35 mpg
    Attached Images
    -----------------
    JT

OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OcularisDius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hidden Costs

Something most people don't think of when buying a bike to "save" money, the cost of maintenance and safety gear. I own 2 bikes and these "hidden" costs can add up. The price of tires is sometimes shocking. Bad weather can also be a problem. In Ohio, bikes fall into the toy category more than the practical transportation category. Having said that, enjoy the ride, they are a blast!

Originally Posted by JAT35 View Post
    2003 VTX1800
    30 to 35 mpg
    Nice ride but my car gets better mileage. That's crazy for a bike to get that low. It's a big engine though!

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I have a 1980 Goldwing. Old school cruiser with some power and comfort. The drawback is that is is very heavy. Something you will really notice the day after leg day.
    All very true. Mine was a '79 Goldwing 1000. Really comfortable on the highway for long cruising but, yes, heavy as hell.

Registered User greenamphibious's Avatar
    greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    cruiser - Honda Shadow 750 (aero or spirit(

rocket - SV650

scooters are for hosers!
    Always room for improvement!

dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10) dhofer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what with the price of fuel, i want to look into getting a bike to tool around town. i'm a little long in the tooth for a crotch rocket, so was thinking i might start out with a 250 cc bike.

any bikers that might steer me in the right direction? like a honda rebel or yamaha vigaro maybe?

am not looking to do any road touring. just around town to save gas and to work about 10 miles away.
    A good bike to start off with is the Suzuki boulevard 800 , Great mileage and still enough bike to get on the freeway if (in the future) you ever decide to.

In my experiance, and I have ridden for years, start off with more bike than you think you need, and in 2 months you'll still want something bigger <G>
    It's too BIG of a world to be in competition with everyone......
    The ONLY person I have to be better than is myself.

[QUOTE=...scooters are for hosers![/QUOTE]

LOL!! Haven't heard that in a long time! And you're not even from Canada!

just got back from picking up the bike. learner's permit test on wednesday, and june 13 start the motorcycle safety course.

this has moved along soooo fast. but not fast enough.

bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just got back from picking up the bike. learner's permit test on wednesday, and june 13 start the motorcycle safety course.

this has moved along soooo fast. but not fast enough.
    WOO-HOO!!!!!! Do a bunch of practicing in empty parking lots until your MSF course! That helps bigtime! Have fun and ride safe! Post pics.
    My Beast Sports Nutrition 2Shredded Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156177641#post156177641

I know if I don't have my "special underwear", my workout is shot!!:) -- Hikemike

6 packs are for lightweights and underachievers! I've got the whole keg!

Glad you didn't get the scooter. LOL! You'll be so much happier with some power. And, you won't look like a Hoser. haha

gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OMG! He said Hoser!

Originally Posted by Herrmann22 View Post
    Glad you didn't get the scooter. LOL! You'll be so much happier with some power. And, you won't look like a Hoser. haha
    yeah. didn't want to be called a hoser.