Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Quest

verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Quest

My new life began Sunday, 2-1-2009 when I committed to improving my strength, health, and fitness levels. I have always stayed in good overall shape over the years even when as my weight drifted up and down with life's subtle changes. I am not a teenager anymore and staying out in front is starting to become work instead of a natural advantage.
    So I have committed to a daily workout program with weights and cardio. I want to lose the excess body fat...ie love handles, Increase my muscle tone and build new muscle, and increase my cardio capacity.
    My love of the outdoors and extreme sports demand that as I gain experience in life I must maintain a youthful physical ability to perform at 110% all the time.
    My quest begins here, and with your friendship it will be a wonderful journey together.
    See ya on a big adventure soon!
    Verti-guy
    Don't just survive life.....DO IT IN STYLE!

My Journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113892791

verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) verti-guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My first workout

My first weight training workout was last night. Easing into this so I dont strain any joints. Some went to failure but overall form was good.

Sets Reps Weight
    Bench Press 2 10 104
    Incline Bench Press 1 9 86
    Incline Bench Press 1 4 86
    Overhead Tricep Extension 2 10 20
    Overhead Press 2 10 20
    Dumbbell Lateral Raises 2 10 10

Was beat after a long day at work and skipped the cardio. Will double up on that tonight. Only the mildest DOM's in the shoulders today and easily streched them out this morning. Looking forward to the next routine tonight.

My diet plan is taking a bit of adjustment to get used to. Not there 100% but I am using Sparkpeople to track my nutrition. Shooting for a 40% fat, 40% protein, 20% carb load. Don't have the belief that diet is as critical as I should yet but I am sure that mental state will improve as I settle down into my program.

Sundays Diet 2367 calories, 67.2% fat, 14.7% protein, 18% carbs
    Guess I blew it on my first day....LOL

Mondays Diet 2532 calories, 43.2% fat, 38.4% protein, 18.4% carbs
    Feel better about this spread but the midnight snack hurt me

ps... 8 days WITHOUT A CIGARETTE!

Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Welcome to journaling. I'll definitely be following along, here and at home (I'm his wife).

Your off to a great start so far on Scivation's Lean Mass workout program.

The diet part is extremely important and that will come with time, 80% of this is diet.
    There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey there and welcome Glad to see you on here - been following your wife for quite some time now!
    ~ Becca ~

I HEART FOOD :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126765793

Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110498281

svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50) svrocket will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    verti-guy

Verti-gal
    Welcome, you lucky DAWG.

Glad to be here!

Originally Posted by rdidio View Post
    Hey there and welcome Glad to see you on here - been following your wife for quite some time now!
    Rdidio,
    Glad to be here and Thanks for the Welcome! My wife has shared your journal with me so I guess I was an unregistered stalker.....LOL! Keep up the faith girl....you have a good program and great self motivation.
    Verti-guy

Smile Luck, Love, and Life......

Originally Posted by svrocket View Post
    Welcome, you lucky DAWG.
    Svrocket,
    Yes, I am a very lucky DAWG to have found my bodybuilding partner, nutrition partner, adventure partner, best friend and love of my life all rolled into one beautiful woman :-)
    Verti-guy

Yesterdays food spread

Did better on the diet yesterday. The Sparkpeople log makes it easy to choose healty food and quantitys that fit the plan. Cut back on the 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee (hated to do that) and the ranch dressing for the broccoli (hated to do that to!) but it brought the calories down for the day. Missed my workout due to late day on the job and late evening at club meeting. Hope to get back in the groove tonight.

Calories 2018 Fat 39.7% Proteins 37.3% Carbs 23.1%

Correction to days without cigarettes 10 DAYS Today!

Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verti-gal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by verti-guy View Post
    Svrocket,
    Yes, I am a very lucky DAWG to have found my bodybuilding partner, nutrition partner, adventure partner, best friend and love of my life all rolled into one beautiful woman :-)
    Verti-guy
    The best part is he knows it and appreciates it.

Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000) Brahette is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tee hee you guys are so cute That makes me feel awesome that you've been checkin out my journal before I would be lost without Ranch dressing for sure! Hope you're faring ok after the accident too!
    ~ Becca ~

I HEART FOOD :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126765793

Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110498281

Originally Posted by rdidio View Post
    Tee hee you guys are so cute That makes me feel awesome that you've been checkin out my journal before I would be lost without Ranch dressing for sure! Hope you're faring ok after the accident too!
    I was luckier in the accident....only a brused and scraped up wrist from the steering wheel airbag and general achs and pains.
    As for checking out your journal.... Did your mother ever ask you "If all of your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it?".... Well all my friends jump off bridges and so do we. So when my wife started reading journals..... so did I. It was the sense of community support and daily motivation I saw it gave all of ya'll that encouraged me to start mine.

Started the evening with a protein shake and a warmup routine borrowed from Joel

- Arm Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - Leg Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - Foot Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - T Pushup (5 reps each direction)
    - Camel/Cat (5 reps)
    - One Leg Deadlift (5 reps each leg)
    - Side Lunge with Overhead Reach (5 reps each direction)
    - Overhead Squat (5 reps)

(Had to look up a few of these on U-Tube to learn how to do them)
    Lower back espically but chest and all joints really felt good with this warm up! I am SOLD on this and will start all my workouts with it.

Deadlifts
    10@28# Very Easy
    10@38# Still Easy

Pullups
    6@190 (bodyweight)
    4@190 (bodyweight)

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows
    10@20# Easy
    10@30# Still Easy

Barbell Shrugs 2 sets 10@38# Easy but cautious with joint motion

Dumbell Shrugs 2 sets 10@25# Easy and much smoother joint motion

Busy week... still got to find time to get the cardio in.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good to see you doing the Waterbury Warm-up.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Nutrition for Wednesday...calories 2068
    Carbs 22%
    Fat 43.4%
    Protein 34.6%

A little high on the fat but happy with the total calories. Eating dinner out with friends tonight so we will see how that gos.

11 Days NO CIGARETTES!

Yay for no cigarettes.

Your nutrition better be on target today considering you stole my spinach salad this morning

But my salads are designed for CHA 1400 not the CHA 2000 that your on, so what your short there you should make up for at dinner.

Originally Posted by Verti-gal View Post
    Yay for no cigarettes.

Your nutrition better be on target today considering you stole my spinach salad this morning

But my salads are designed for CHA 1400 not the CHA 2000 that your on, so what your short there you should make up for at dinner.
    Yup...remember your wedding vows to try to beat me up every rope.....I am making it a little bit harder for you now with no cigarettes :-). You might need more treachery!

Your saled was delicious! I think I found a replacement for the Ranch Dressing shortfall with your oil, balsamic vinagar and seasoning. It was Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

The trick tonight will be splitting the "Pig in a Potato Patch" without blowing the diet with too much sweet tea.

The trick tonight will be splitting the "Pig in a Potato Patch" without blowing the diet with too much sweet tea.
    Of course it does make it easier not to blow the diet if you don't order the sweet tea

My salad dressing is balsamic vinegar, olive oil, cilantro, dill and basil. Very yummy.

[QUOTE=Verti-gal;284468031]Of course it does make it easier not to blow the diet if you don't order the sweet tea
    QUOTE]

Had 2 sweet tea's and still did not blow the diet last night at dinner.....the secret was cutting out the Ranch Dressing with the fresh broccoli :-( A sad but true fact of life...Ranch Dressing is EVIL and has to go!

Nutrition for yesterday
    Calories 1906
    Carbs 28.6%
    Protein 31.2 %
    Fats 40.1%

No workout due to dinner and meeting last night. Good 8 hr's of sleep and only mildest of DOMS from starting workouts. Still got to make time to get the cardio in this week.

No workout yesterday. Went out for Chinese dinner and blew the diet...we'll just call that one my cheat meal for the week.

Nutrition Total Calories 3470
    Carbs 38.3%
    Fat 40.5%
    Protein 21.1%

NO CIGARETTES IN 13 days! Yeah!

Todays workout warmup
    - Arm Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - Leg Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - Foot Circles (5 reps each direction)
    - T Pushup (5 reps each direction)
    - Camel/Cat (5 reps)
    - One Leg Deadlift (5 reps each leg)
    - Side Lunge with Overhead Reach (5 reps each direction)
    - Overhead Squat (5 reps)

Workout
    Dumbell Squats 10@50# Easy 10@70# Work
    Bent Knee Barbell Deadlifts 10@38# 10@48# lower back pressure
    Single Leg Extensions 2 sets 10@45#
    Single Leg Curls 10@45# 8@55lb
    Barbell Lunges 2 Sets 10@30#

22 Min Cardio on Elliptical AHR 142 Calories Burned 528

Yeah...got my cardio in!

Saturday's Nutrition Calories 2231
    Fat 32.5%
    Protein 30.5%
    Carbs 37%

Joels preworkout warmup is a hit with me!

Headed out for a day of trail hiking and pit-bopping. Plannning on doing 60', 120' and 180' deep pits today with friends and 3 miles of trail hiking. Weather is great today with highs near 70 here!

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Saturday's Nutrition Calories 2231
    Fat 32.5%
    Protein 30.5%
    Carbs 37%

Joels preworkout warmup is a hit with me!

Headed out for a day of trail hiking and pit-bopping. Plannning on doing 60', 120' and 180' deep pits today with friends and 3 miles of trail hiking. Weather is great today with highs near 70 here!

That sounds like the weather today here in Texas where I am.

Congrats on the new lifestyle decision and way to go on dumping the cigs!!!!

Keep up the good progress!!!!

We had a good day on rope yesterday. We ended up having 8 people on the trip, 4 newbies and 4 experience people so it made it easy to partner up for the rappels. Verti-guy got quite a workout carrying all his gear and my gear on the 4 mile round trip to and from the pits, especially after leg day. (I couldn't carry anything since my shoulder is still healing from the car accident and I can't put weight on it yet.) We only made it to the 60' and 120' pits, it was getting too close to dark to start the additional hike the the 180' pit.

We did go out to IHOP afterwards for dinner. Verti-guy had a spinach and mushroom omlette, which was very yummy, all his pancakes and half of mine. We definetly worked up an appetite on the trip.

Originally Posted by Todd_A View Post
    That sounds like the weather today here in Texas where I am.

Congrats on the new lifestyle decision and way to go on dumping the cigs!!!!

Keep up the good progress!!!!
    15 Days no Cigarettes!
    508 Days to ElCap!

Thanks for the welcome! Was only and occasional smoker the past 3 years. Verti-gal made me ditch the 2 beer and a cirgarette breakfast when we moved in together Training for an El Cap Expidition in 2010 and will need all the breath I can get!

Originally Posted by Verti-gal View Post
    We had a good day on rope yesterday. We ended up having 8 people on the trip, 4 newbies and 4 experience people so it made it easy to partner up for the rappels. Verti-guy got quite a workout carrying all his gear and my gear on the 4 mile round trip to and from the pits, especially after leg day. (I couldn't carry anything since my shoulder is still healing from the car accident and I can't put weight on it yet.) We only made it to the 60' and 120' pits, it was getting too close to dark to start the additional hike the the 180' pit.

We did go out to IHOP afterwards for dinner. Verti-guy had a spinach and mushroom omlette, which was very yummy, all his pancakes and half of mine. We definetly worked up an appetite on the trip.
    The 50 lb backpack with both of our gear put a hurting on the legs! Cardio did well on the hike and on the rope at the pits.

I just found out MASSAGE WORK is considered CARDIO EXERCISE on SparkPeople! Got credit for 30 min massage you to sleep and burned 177 calories! Yeah!

Nutrition 3412 Calories
    Fat 28.2%
    Carbs 53.5%
    Protein 18.3%

Est. calories burned hiking, massaging, and rope climbing were 2243 so I dont feel bad about stealing one of your pancakes! Loved the home made de-hydrated applesauce and jerky at the pits too.

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok, I was wondering what the "verti" stuff signified in your user names. (you two are both nuts )

Welcome! I'm a new "journaler" as well Vertiguy, and can attest to the fact that the journal process DOES make you even more accountable for your health. Rock on.

Originally Posted by immuno View Post
    Ok, I was wondering what the "verti" stuff signified in your user names. (you two are both nuts )

Welcome! I'm a new "journaler" as well Vertiguy, and can attest to the fact that the journal process DOES make you even more accountable for your health. Rock on.
    Thanks for the Welcome! The rock climbers call us "Nuts" also when we climb by them on our ropes 2650' in the air at El Cap and we call them "Nuts" as we climb past them as they hang onto the rock buy their fingernails...LOL

Maybe this will go away but right now I feel if I dont keep the journal I will lose my motivation and end up "cheating myself" out of being the best Ican be. The hardest person to please can be yourself.

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    15 Days no Cigarettes!
    508 Days to ElCap!

Thanks for the welcome! Was only and occasional smoker the past 3 years. Verti-gal made me ditch the 2 beer and a cirgarette breakfast when we moved in together Training for an El Cap Expidition in 2010 and will need all the breath I can get!
    AWESOME GOAL!!!! 3000 feet!!!!

Heck yeah! you will need all the good air you can get. Are you getting past all that hacking and horking up a lung part of quitting cigs yet? Congrats again!

Surely ya'll have awesome pics to share from some expeditions. And you defnitely should get some when you do the EL Cap one in 2010.

Here is what our climbing gear looks like:

Here is the El Cap rappel with some comparisons to other rappels and tall structures:

We went together 2 years ago and Verti-guy has done one other trip to El Cap before that.

Its definitely a fun time, one of the greatest experiences of my life so far.