LSX1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight Training & Whey while losing?

Ok this is going to be a fairly newb Q, but I am not sure and could use some solid advice.

I am way overweight, and need to lose probably at least a good 50+ lbs (Im 6' 269, pic in bodyspace). I don't, however want to become weak and scrawny at the same time. I have been consuming a little bit of whey protein along while trying to manage my caloric intake and stay in a deficit. It goes without saying that while in a deficit, at least for me, it feels like I am quite a bit weaker, and certainly not in the best position to make any gains. That being said, I also understand that to gain, you need to eat and eat enough. In my case obviously I do not want to start with a bulk.

In short, my question is this, should I continue to do some weight training but not expect to really see any size gains while in a deficit? Should I not weight train and strictly go aggressive on the weight loss and then worry about muscle later? Or somewhere in the middle? If I should be weight training, should I be going after high rep sets? Low rep heavier weight sets?... Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LSX1 View Post
    Ok this is going to be a fairly newb Q, but I am not sure and could use some solid advice.

I am way overweight, and need to lose probably at least a good 50+ lbs (Im 6' 269, pic in bodyspace). I don't, however want to become weak and scrawny at the same time. I have been consuming a little bit of whey protein along while trying to manage my caloric intake and stay in a deficit. It goes without saying that while in a deficit, at least for me, it feels like I am quite a bit weaker, and certainly not in the best position to make any gains. That being said, I also understand that to gain, you need to eat and eat enough. In my case obviously I do not want to start with a bulk.
    Perfect. Just make sure that you are also getting at least:
    160g protein
    75g dietary fat
    per day. Use fitday.com to analyse your diet if needed.

Originally Posted by LSX1 View Post
    In short, my question is this, should I continue to do some weight training but not expect to really see any size gains while in a deficit? Should I not weight train and strictly go aggressive on the weight loss and then worry about muscle later? Or somewhere in the middle? If I should be weight training, should I be going after high rep sets? Low rep heavier weight sets?... Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You must weight train and at least aim for strength gains. At your weight it should be possible to make modest strength gains while losing 1-2lbs a week.

Do any sensible program that aims for progressive overload and keeps reps within the 5-12 rep range. I always recommend all pros simple beginners routine.

Thanks for the input guys..I appreciate it. I will try to just keep a close eye on my intake of both calories and protein. Is there any sups you would suggest?

I already take some glucosamine for joints... and I like to use a NO sup pre workout as I find it amps me up some.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Most supplements are totally worthless. Not a fan of pre-workouts, just drink a cup of coffee.

Protein powder is useful if you cant get enough from your general diet

Omega 3s if you don't eat lots of oily fish

Vitamin D unless you get a lot of sun exposure

Creatine monohydrate is cheap and proven to help a lot of people with strength and recovery.

Yeah dont get me wrong, Im not the kind of person who assumes taking a battery of sups will make me jacked. I just know that there are likely SOME things that are worthwhile. Trying to ID those sups if possible