jetzacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trap Bar Deadlifts vs Straight Bar

The trap bar seems less stressful on the lower back. For me its more comfortable so Ive been using it.

Any advantage to one over the other?

twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jetzacker
    The trap bar seems less stressful on the lower back. For me its more comfortable so Ive been using it.

trap bar is more leg, particularly quad. I guess its just a deadlift that involves the traps/glutes/quads a bit more

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jetzacker

The trap bar allows for a more upright torso. This will increase activation of the knee extensors (quads). The traditional deadlift has you trunk down to around a 45 degreee angle or so. This will recruit more from the hip extensors (glutes and hamstrings). If you find the trap bar easier and more comfortable, go with it. Powerlifters would be forced to stick with the regular barbell.

Location: ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋ&#1112
    LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Trap bar is more of an "athletic" movement in my opinion, and it uses slightly less lower back, but more leg drive. It locks you into a position to go straight up and is somewhat easier. I got to 450 lbs on the trap bar and decided to go back to straight bar deadlifting, and when I started my regular deadlift max was at 405. It takes some time to get the numbers up, but week by week I am starting to increase a bit and now its up to 425, that close to 430.

Straight bar definetely hits the lower back more. Needless to say, if you are doing any variant of the deadlift its all good!
    nj all day

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LAWofNJ
    Trap bar is more of an "athletic" movement in my opinion, and it uses slightly less lower back, but more leg drive. It locks you into a position to go straight up and is somewhat easier. I got to 450 lbs on the trap bar and decided to go back to straight bar deadlifting, and when I started my regular deadlift max was at 405. It takes some time to get the numbers up, but week by week I am starting to increase a bit and now its up to 425, that close to 430.

Straight bar definetely hits the lower back more. Needless to say, if you are doing any variant of the deadlift its all good!
    Regular deadlifts would be very good for 100m sprinters. The position, when they are in the blocks, is very similar to bottom of a regular deadlift. Not disagreeing with your statement, it's just an observation that I have made.