Registered User Violence Jackof's Avatar
    Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Violence Jackof is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

vegetarian debate

i'm debating with this vegetarian. she claims that meat is a carcinogen. but, all of the research i have done that says meat is linked to cancer states that this is so b/c people who eat a lot of red meat do not take in enough fiber. so anyway, do any of you know of any journals that show evidence that meat is NOT linked to cancer?

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No. But I'm pretty sure that meat itsself isn't carcinogenic. However, cooking meat a certain way too long may make it carcinogenic. There is some truth to the fact that flame broiling or barbecuing meat can create carcinogens.

fatts1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You probably already know about 'Google Scholar'. If not, that might be a good source of information:

You go to Google and look at the top of the page where it says images etc' - on the right it says more and there's a drop down list which includes 'google scholar'. You should find plenty of info there.

I used this to find out cancer info for my mum when she had it and it was an amazing source of academic and medical research. In fact it probably saved her life.

The only thing I know is that a recent huge study in the UK by Cancer Research, the largest ever done recommends reducing the amount of red meat that we eat as a factor in reducing likelihood of cancer.

Fatts

kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kthxbai has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The sky is pink with yellow polka dots. Please find me scientific evidence that this isn't the case.
    I will become stronger than any natural woman before me.

tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I could prove that our air is carcinogenic, would ur vegan friend stop breathing?

...vegans are terrorists. bacon-hating douchebag terrorists
    The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Smile with me brother. Nefariousx1's Avatar
    Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Violence Jackof View Post
    i'm debating with this vegetarian. she claims that meat is a carcinogen. but, all of the research i have done that says meat is linked to cancer states that this is so b/c people who eat a lot of red meat do not take in enough fiber. so anyway, do any of you know of any journals that show evidence that meat is NOT linked to cancer?
    just tell her to stfu and fine she is right and you dont care what she thinks. Also throw in "I hope they beat and tortured the cow I eat in my burger, it makes it that much sweeter and tastier"

Seriously though, OP, you can never reason with stupidity. Keep that in mind

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tabasco.sauce View Post
    ...vegans are terrorists. bacon-hating douchebag terrorists
    Not all of them are like that.

Originally Posted by Violence Jackof View Post
    The problem with most vegetarians is that they become vegetarians for some reason and then to justify it, they try to look for another reason that seems more "acceptable".

Instead of trying to proof your friend wrong, respect her choice.

Some vegetarians are eating the wrong things, and maybe you want to educate her on this. She should make sure she is eating plenty of iron, vitamin b12, etc. Other than that, I see no reason for you, or anybody else, to make her change her diet habits anymore than you would ask a bodybuilder to stop eating protein or creatine. Ultimately, its a matter of choice.

Anything from vegetables, to meat, can be a carcinogen when cooked or preserved the wrong way or with the wrong chemicals. Thus, I am sure you can find "evidence" from both sides of the aisle.

IMO Meat itself is not bad. Mostly is how we preserve it, cook it, and how we raise the animals, that contribute to it being "bad". For example, most bacon and ham contains nitrites, a substance that is a known carcinogen. Here is a quote from wikipedia's article on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite):

Sodium nitrite is commonly added to bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked fish, and corned beef to stabilize the red color and add flavor. The preservative prevents growth of bacteria, but studies have linked eating it to various types of cancer. "This would be at the top of my list of additives to cut from my diet," says Christine Gerbstadt, M.D., M.P.H., R.D., L.D.N., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "Under certain high-temperature cooking conditions such as grilling, it transforms into a reactive compound that has been shown to promote cancer."
    Another concerned with meat (related to HOW we raise the animals) is mad cow's disease, an illness that I do not think we will see a cure for during our lifetime (partly because of its biology and partly because of its rarity, but who knows!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_cow

I hope this brings you to both a better understanding of what your friend meant, and maybe an understanding that it would be wiser to respect her dietary "beliefs" than to convince her otherwise. I can't stress this enough: most vegetarians are cool with having non-vegetarians friends and we usually dislike the question of "why" are we vegetarians... If we don't bring the topic, why should you? Forcing her to explain why will most likely make her defensive and she will not change her mind anyway....
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

fitman2009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, the more we learn about cancer, the more we learn that everything causes cancer. I mean, I would ask her if she walks down the street or goes out in the sun. Cancer is, sadly, just a thing.
    http://www.chaslooksgood.com
    Follow me on Twitter @chaslooksgood

Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are right you cannot reason with stupidity! like yourself - I guess in your case you can just plead ignorance is bliss and live in your little bubble you idiot!

Originally Posted by Nefariousx1 View Post
    just tell her to stfu and fine she is right and you dont care what she thinks. Also throw in "I hope they beat and tortured the cow I eat in my burger, it makes it that much sweeter and tastier"

Seriously though, OP, you can never reason with stupidity. Keep that in mind
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer" - Arnold

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know a lot of vegans. And sadly, the mouthy ones with misinformation give the rest a bad name. Most of the ones I know are normal people that don't push their way of life on others. But the mouthy ones will pretty much parrot anything they hear that supports their own validity. But just as most people who have a specific diet are, people will regurgitate the information they were told (eatings carbs after 6pm, for example).

But to redirect the OP, the carcinogens comes from charring meat. The meat itself is not carcinogenic, it is the charring that can be.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leigh29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are referring to myself as being "mouthy" which I hope that you are, I would love for you to go back and read what was posted about the poster hoping the cow as beaten and tortured - you're damn straight I will be mouthy about idiotic comments like that!! I will continue to be mouthy if there are stupid comments like that posted!

Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post
    I know a lot of vegans. And sadly, the mouthy ones with misinformation give the rest a bad name. Most of the ones I know are normal people that don't push their way of life on others. But the mouthy ones will pretty much parrot anything they hear that supports their own validity. But just as most people who have a specific diet are, people will regurgitate the information they were told (eatings carbs after 6pm, for example).

But to redirect the OP, the carcinogens comes from charring meat. The meat itself is not carcinogenic, it is the charring that can be.
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer" - Arnold

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Living is carcinogenic.

أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by reefpicker View Post
    Not all of them are like that.

The problem with most vegetarians is that they become vegetarians for some reason and then to justify it, they try to look for another reason that seems more "acceptable".

Instead of trying to proof your friend wrong, respect her choice.

Some vegetarians are eating the wrong things, and maybe you want to educate her on this. She should make sure she is eating plenty of iron, vitamin b12, etc. Other than that, I see no reason for you, or anybody else, to make her change her diet habits anymore than you would ask a bodybuilder to stop eating protein or creatine. Ultimately, its a matter of choice.

Anything from vegetables, to meat, can be a carcinogen when cooked or preserved the wrong way or with the wrong chemicals. Thus, I am sure you can find "evidence" from both sides of the aisle.

IMO Meat itself is not bad. Mostly is how we preserve it, cook it, and how we raise the animals, that contribute to it being "bad". For example, most bacon and ham contains nitrites, a substance that is a known carcinogen. Here is a quote from wikipedia's article on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite):

Another concerned with meat (related to HOW we raise the animals) is mad cow's disease, an illness that I do not think we will see a cure for during our lifetime (partly because of its biology and partly because of its rarity, but who knows!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_cow

I hope this brings you to both a better understanding of what your friend meant, and maybe an understanding that it would be wiser to respect her dietary "beliefs" than to convince her otherwise. I can't stress this enough: most vegetarians are cool with having non-vegetarians friends and we usually dislike the question of "why" are we vegetarians... If we don't bring the topic, why should you? Forcing her to explain why will most likely make her defensive and she will not change her mind anyway....
    you're an "Ovolactate Pescatarian"
    that's not a vegetarian...nothing annoys vegetarians more than people eating meat but claiming to be vegetarian. Fish=meat.
    I used to be vegan but I eat meat now.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Leigh29 View Post
    If you are referring to myself as being "mouthy" which I hope that you are, I would love for you to go back and read what was posted about the poster hoping the cow as beaten and tortured - you're damn straight I will be mouthy about idiotic comments like that!! I will continue to be mouthy if there are stupid comments like that posted!
    No, no. My comment was sparked by the guy you were commenting about (look at my sig). And I was talking about other vegans that get in other people's faces with no provocation and for no reason. I agree that the Nefariousx1 guy is pretty much a jackass.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    charring anything is carcinogenic... particularly if you use charcoal...

umm don't burn your meat.
    @__@

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post

So true. My GF has vegan friends and the ones with the least amount of valid facts are the ones that want to start sht at every opportunity. My personal favorite is "meat rots in your intestines." Which makes perfect sense, I mean it's obvious that in a closed system designed to digest food that it would rot while a cooked piece of meat can sit in the open air for a week without issue.

PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    So true. My GF has vegan friends and the ones with the least amount of valid facts are the ones that want to start sht at every opportunity. My personal favorite is "meat rots in your intestines." Which makes perfect sense, I mean it's obvious that in a closed system designed to digest food that it would rot while a cooked piece of meat can sit in the open air for a week without issue.
    You need to respond them solely with "Scientists have proven that being vegan makes you dumber", that way anything they respond with will only validate your point.

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PR1MO View Post
    You need to respond them solely with "Scientists have proven that being vegan makes you dumber", that way anything they respond with will only validate your point.
    I made the following points to her -
    1. I get fats from meat.
    2. Fats help with testosterone
    3. Testosterone keeps my sex drive high.
    4. She's my girlfriend.

She is free to break any part of that chain. So far, so good.