Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bb_clocker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

do you do full squats or regular squats

I have been trying full squats and at least for me they are definitely a lot harder. Additionally, they work other muscles such as my gluts and hams a lot more effectively. Perhaps, my comments are bit silly but I never really tried them untill now and i think they are better. What are your opinions?

BTW, I consider full/deep squats where you ass almost touches the floor whereas reg squats you only go to about 90 degrees.

my concerns is that i do not want to put more pressures on my knees but if i do full squats i have to use less weight anyway so doesnt that balance out the pressure you have on your knees doing more weight with a reg squat.

im not an experienced bodybuilder so input in this would be greatly appreciated

Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when u're doing full squats, the weight shifts from ur knees onto ur hips. and ur hips are built to make more force than ur knees are. thus, they are better for ur knees. so, it doesn't really have to do with the lighter weights that ure using. it should probably be like 20 pounds at most difference from ur full squat and the parallel(90*) squat. at least for me that's the case.

full squats are better for full development.

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yup full range equals full development, half range equals half development
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I recently switched from parallel to ATG squats. I actually feel like going ATG hits my quads better than stopping at parallel, and stresses my glutes less. Both of these are good in my book.

As for safety, I was reading about how doing parallel squats puts the fulcrum, or center point, for the movement at the knee, while going down all the way moves it higher, to the mid-thigh. Further, at a parallel position the tendons and ligaments in the knee are the most relaxed (thus the reflex test at this angle) and therefore the most vulnerable. This makes it the least-logical point to reverse momentum at, especially with the stress of added weight. Reversing your momentum at the end of a full squat is physiologically safer than doing it at parallel.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ryuten
    when u're doing full squats, the weight shifts from ur knees onto ur hips. and ur hips are built to make more force than ur knees are. thus, they are better for ur knees. so, it doesn't really have to do with the lighter weights that ure using. it should probably be like 20 pounds at most difference from ur full squat and the parallel(90*) squat. at least for me that's the case.

full squats are better for full development.
    you arent going ass to grass if there's only a 20 pound difference.
    hail murder. **** you.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

I go to parallel in the back squat.
    A2G on the front squat.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Fetus Soccer
    you arent going ass to grass if there's only a 20 pound difference.
    There's almost 90lb difference between my ATG squat and my parallel squat.
    ATG squat for me is usually with a narrow stance and high bar placement.

phat custom title yo desire4dumbells's Avatar
    desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Full squats dog
    Move along, nothing to see here

Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hubbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    regular squats=full squats
    less then full range=partial?

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To me,

Squats = full, below parallel squats

Everything else gets the "special" designation: 1/2, 1/4 squats...

I just don't understand the need to stress the patellar tendon or work the "lockout" on a squat.

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Parallel is all I need, but then again, I'm not a bodybuilder.

This maybe silly but I was suprised by how much more muscles were involved when doing a full squat. And it does hurt my ego that i have to squat significantly less but i sure do feel it working. My legs were pretty sore. And thanks for the input. I was concerned about damaging my knees if i were doing a full squat. perhaps this is a myth

Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it's also easier to keep your knees out when you go below paralell. I'm not quite flexible enough yet to go ATG in back squats yet, but I go a few degrees below paralell. Front squats are ATG.

jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't feel safe enough to do ATG squats at home on my own and not in a cage. Could go all tits up. Parallel for me

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jobe
    I don't feel safe enough to do ATG squats at home on my own and not in a cage. Could go all tits up. Parallel for me

drop the weight down to 90 or less. This is such an amazing lift-your legs don't give a **** how much weight your using-you'll respond to full squats.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Somewhat concerned One More Time's Avatar
    One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One More Time has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bb_clocker
    I have been trying full squats and at least for me they are definitely a lot harder. Additionally, they work other muscles such as my gluts and hams a lot more effectively. Perhaps, my comments are bit silly but I never really tried them untill now and i think they are better. What are your opinions?

BTW, I consider full/deep squats where you ass almost touches the floor whereas reg squats you only go to about 90 degrees.

my concerns is that i do not want to put more pressures on my knees but if i do full squats i have to use less weight anyway so doesnt that balance out the pressure you have on your knees doing more weight with a reg squat.

im not an experienced bodybuilder so input in this would be greatly appreciated

I go as far down as I can....I don't think I am ATG but I am below parallel. I have some knee flexibility issues.

stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how far is your ass from teh ground when you do ATG squats..obvioulsy its not actualy hitting the floor

when i do ATG squats (well i think i am) im about 9 inche from the ground

Evading Hi Speed Pursuit fast37's Avatar
    fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stalker23
    how far is your ass from teh ground when you do ATG squats..obvioulsy its not actualy hitting the floor

when i do ATG squats (well i think i am) im about 9 inche from the ground
    You should be sitting on your calves.
    Bruce Lee vs. the Entire Kiss Army vs. Ron Burgundy's News Team

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Full squats are just as far as the individual can go, not all the way down. Everyone is different.
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

i have another question on the same issue. i was begining to think full squats are ok on your knees. but what happens to baseball players (catchers) dont they sit in a full squat like position and dont they screw up their kneews by being in that position.

i am going to try to look up some peer reviewed journal info on this.

Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I advocate the full barbell squat as one of the core exercises in most any weight-training program. If you are an aspiring powerlifter, then you will need to spend some time performing squats in a powerlifting style in order to prepare for competition. I believe that the full squat will be of tremendous value in laying down a proper strength foundation. There are individuals who may have structural problems (knees, back, etc) which prevent them from squatting at the present time. If this is the case, then those problems need to be properly evaluated and some type of corrective or rehabilitative action taken. When it comes to your health, dont be afraid to get a second or even third opinion. I dont have a whole lot of confidence in health care professionals whose only advice is to avoid exercise or activities as I fail to see the positive benefits of physical atrophy of the human body.

Many fitness experts warn against performing squats past the point of parallel for fear of potentially damaging the knees. As a general rule I disagree with those experts though there are certainly individual exceptions. When the full squat is performed correctly and with total control through a complete range of motion, the knees are strengthened, not weakened. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, an estimated 50 million North Americans have suffered or are suffering knee pain or injuries and six million of them will visit a doctor for knee problems each year. The majority of these problems are degenerative in nature and are the result of disuse of the knee joint. Squatting keeps the knee joints mobile and free of pain. Several joint facets on the inside of the kneecap are used only when an individual performs a complete squat.

When the squat is performed to a parallel depth, it is the knees, which take the majority of the stress involved in stopping the downward momentum of the squat. When the squat is performed to a full depth, this same braking stress is transferred to the larger, powerful muscles of the hips, hamstrings and buttocks. It is obvious that the squat must be performed with a great deal of control and that any type of rapid rebounding, whether it is done at parallel or at full depth will be detrimental to the knees.

Keith

stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stalker23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fast37
    You should be sitting on your calves.
    but...if yourlegs are spread apart then how do you sit on your claves? doesnt your butt go inbetween your calves, meaning its not sitting on your claves?

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Full.... ATG yep thats the one
    Cha Cha Cha

I just don't know anymore MoGeaYuglay's Avatar
    MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by stalker23
    but...if yourlegs are spread apart then how do you sit on your claves? doesnt your butt go inbetween your calves, meaning its not sitting on your claves?
    Well, if the stance is a bit wider (like the way I do ATG squats without falling backwards) then your hams should be pressed into your calves a bit. So in essence, your hamstrings should be sitting on your calves. I don't know how you guys can squat ATG with a narrow stance without falling over, calf flexibility withstanding.
    If you think you can, you will.
    If you think you can't, you're right.

Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500)
    Full. **** development results from **** form.

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MoGeaYuglay
    Well, if the stance is a bit wider (like the way I do ATG squats without falling backwards) then your hams should be pressed into your calves a bit. So in essence, your hamstrings should be sitting on your calves. I don't know how you guys can squat ATG with a narrow stance without falling over, calf flexibility withstanding.
    I use a close stance when I squat, about shoulder width or even a little narrower. For me, it's the only way I can really hit my quads; wider stances for me are just ass builders. But I'm about the least flexible person I know, and I don't have problems dropping into a full ATG position. I think it's just an issue of balance. It took me a short time to get used to, using much less weight, but now it's second nature.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey....I remember someone posting a article a few months ago about ATG squats being worse on your knees. I also remember forum members getting pissed because it gave ppl another reason to not go ATG. I hope someone finds the thread and link to it because I would like to read it again.

Location: Laughing it up in the squat cage until closing time while you stare at me with hate.
    Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500)
    ALL i knows is that Ronnie Coleman goes atg, so i goe atg.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Zane >>>> God

wrong I just watched cost of redemption and he is not doing ATG.

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Zane >>>> God

Great logic.

He also shoots elephant testosterone up his ass too.