Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Don't cut Fruit out!

I got this from a nice, sweet lady named sweetpea.

Fruits of your labor: many bodybuilders overlook fruit, one of the best food groups for muscle growth
    Flex, Sept, 2004 by Steve Stiefel, Jim Stoppani

Many bodybuilders believe that fruit makes people fat. However, that's not the case, as long as you know which fruits to eat, when to eat them and how much to eat.

Most bodybuilders know that they should take in simple carbs before and after workouts--and many of them rely on the sugars in their protein mixes or other pre- and postworkout products. By and large, these products contain glucose or dextrose, great simple-carb sources for workouts. Often, bodybuilders avoid using fructose because this form of simple sugar is more readily stored as bodyfat than other sugars are. It's a simple extension, then, to avoid fruit because of its fructose content.

However, many bodybuilders don't know that fructose content varies significantly from one form of fruit to another. Many fruits don't contain much fructose, and they're loaded with important phytochemicals (micronutrients that are beneficial to bodybuilders) available in few if any other food sources. Some bodybuilders also overestimate the problem associated with consuming fructose. When you eliminate fruit from your diet, you not only eliminate the fructose and other sugars that fruit contains, but you also eliminate the beneficial nutrients contained in fruit that help support growth.

Here's the lowdown on fructose, which fruits to eat, and when and why you should include them in your diet.

* FRUCTOSE: FACT VS. FICTION
    So what's wrong with fructose? Fruit's bad rap comes from the fact that it contains fructose--a simple carbohydrate that the body processes in a different way than it processes other such sugars.

Fructose is not directly utilized by muscles the way that glucose and dextrose are. These other simple sugars are readily converted to muscle glycogen, the form of carbohydrates that are stored in muscles. Having well-stocked muscle glycogen stores helps you recover and grow and helps you perform better at your next workout. It also gives muscles a full appearance that bodybuilders seek.

When you take in fructose, though, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem with fructose arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored, which increases the size of your fat cells. As it's often hard to gauge when your liver glycogen stocks are full, many bodybuilders opt for avoiding fruit altogether. Such extreme measures may actually be counterproductive, as eliminating fruits also excludes the nutrients they offer.

The best time to eat fruit is immediately upon waking. At this time of day, your liver glycogen levels are low, because your body has used them as an energy source while you slept. With low liver glycogen levels, your body turns to your muscles and begins to break them down for energy. When you eat fruit immediately upon waking, you provide your body with an alternate energy source, which helps end muscle catabolism.

Another good time to eat fruit is 30-60 minutes before a workout, particularly if you haven't eaten a high-carb meal for several hours. The fructose will fill the liver with glycogen, which will deliver glucose to the working muscles and help to spare muscle glycogen. As a bonus, fructose also doesn't block fat burning during exercise the way that glucose tends to do.

After your workouts is also a great time. At that point, though, generally opt for fruits that are higher in glucose than fructose. Glucose is more readily available for storage as glycogen, and it will better help spike your insulin levels to allow for more efficient muscle growth. For the best fruit choices for each of these times of day, see the chart, "Pickin' Fruit."

* THE PROS OF FRUIT
    Many pro bodybuilders already know about these advantages of fruit. "I rely on fruit as my primary source of simple carbs," says Mustafa Mohammad. "I eat two pieces of fruit with my breakfast. I usually have bananas, but sometimes I have oranges or kiwi fruits." Mohammad also uses fruit as pre- and postworkout sources of simple sugars. "I eat fruit before and after my workouts, because I believe you should eat whole foods as much as possible for your nutritional needs. I use supplements such as protein shakes for convenience or when it is difficult to get in more whole food."

Mohammad finds that eating fruit has additional benefits. "Fruit helps me increase my appetite and consume more whole foods," he says. "When I am dieting, it can be difficult to get in all the chicken and rice a bodybuilder needs to maintain muscle mass while trying to shed bodyfat. I find that I can eat more chicken when I also eat a little bit of fruit with the meal. The sweet taste helps me take in more food."

Another way that Mohammad uses fruit is to help increase energy. "When I feel run down or sluggish, I eat a piece or two of fruit with a protein food. Because of the fiber content, I don't worry about the fruit increasing my insulin levels too much. Fruit is digested slowly enough that it doesn't have this effect. The fiber also slows down the rate of protein digestion to give a steady release of amino acids." Mohammad says that when you are low on energy, your liver glycogen stores also may be low, so, again, don't worry about the fructose being stored as bodyfat.

* FRUIT WRAP-UP
    Like Rodney Dangerfield, fruit doesn't get the respect it deserves. Too many bodybuilders cut out fruit because of their misguided fears about the fructose it contains. Although you don't want to go wild with fruit--eating too much will overload your liver glycogen stores and may encourage bodyfat storage--you certainly don't want to eliminate it, either. The nutrients, fiber and muscle-building simple sugars that fruit contains will assist your bodybuilding progress when you consume it as FLEX recommends.

PICKIN' FRUIT
    Use the charts below to help you pick the best fruit for the job. If
    you're worried about fructose spilling over to fat, try a citrate
    supplement along with your fruit choice, such as creatine citrate or
    calcium citrate. It helps direct fructose toward glycogen production and
    away from fat.

PREWORKOUT
    These fruits provide higher fructose than glucose for sustained fuel
    that won't block fat burning. Eat one or two servings.

FRUIT TOTAL SUGARS* FRUCTOSE* GLUCOSE*
    Pear (1 medium) 16 11 5
    Watermelon (1 wedge) 18 12 6
    Apple (1 medium) 14 9 5
    Cantaloupe (1/2 melon) 22 12 10
    Grapes (1 cup) 24 13 11
    Strawberries (2 cups) 14 8 6
    Raspberries (2 cups) 10 6 4

MORNING
    These fruits provide equal or nearly equal fructose and glucose to
    restock liver and muscle glycogen to help halt muscle breakdown. Eat two
    or three servings.

Pineapple (1 cup diced) 13 7 6
    Honeydew melon (1 wedge) 13 7 6
    Orange (1 medium) 12 6 6
    Banana (1 medium) 18 9 9
    Blueberries (1 cup) 14 7 7
    Nectarine (1 medium) 10 5 5
    Kiwi fruit (2 medium) 12 6 6

POSTWORKOUT
    These fruits provide more glucose than fructose for restocking muscle
    glycogen and enhancing muscle growth. (The last five fruits from the
    morning fruit category are also decent choices postworkout, for their
    ability to fill glycogen stores.) Eat one or two servings along with
    white bread, baked potatoes or a carb drink.

Cherries (1 cup) 14 6 8
    Peach (1 medium) 8 3 5

* Quantities are in grams.

BY STEVE STIEFEL AND JIM STOPPANI, PHD

COPYRIGHT 2004 Weider Publications
    COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group
    Currently: Bulking

Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10) Max Omega is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I eat 4 bananas per day =)

Least I got Chicken! Leroy Jenkins's Avatar
    Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leroy Jenkins is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good post yea i eat oranges and apples bannanas. one each a day

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You know, I eat fruit like it's my job and don't have any problems at all. Granted, I'm not a bodybuilder and never plan on becomming one.

Some people say fruit is unessecary etc etc...They fail to realise that just because they look good in the mirror, doesn't mean they are healthy people. Eat your damn fruit!
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hawkjl82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Eat a good combination of fruit everyday between bananas, apples, mango, cantelope, grapes, etc. I love fruit especially now as theyre coming into season and the grocery store usually has it on a good sale.
    I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. -Michael Jordan

rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rurkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat a few pieces everyday and it hasn't affected my physique to any appreciable amount.

hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotasice2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yup to all the above. I was just posting this to get that myth that's going around that you shouldn't have fruit on a cut out of people's heads.......

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hotasice2003
    Fruits of your labor: many bodybuilders overlook fruit, one of the best food groups for muscle growth
    Flex, Sept, 2004 by Steve Stiefel, Jim Stoppani

COPYRIGHT 2004 Weider Publications
    COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group
    But we should ignore this publication when it tells us to take Cell-Tech right?

Originally Posted by johnnyironboard
    But we should ignore this publication when it tells us to take Cell-Tech right?

It's up to you on wether or not take anything from MT. They simple stated the facts about fruit, and someone posted it somewhere else, and I posted it here........

kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100)

Smile

i'd like to stab your sister

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    great article, lots of great info. reps coming your way!

docbrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) docbrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    is it true that I can have all the fresh fruit I want? like after dinner can I have a few Navel Oranges? I like to have like 4 or 5 of them? is it ok?

Registered User blood vs. water's Avatar
    blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blood vs. water has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'm addicted to apples

docbrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) docbrown has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by blood vs. water
    i'm addicted to apples
    Yea, lol I used to eat like 5 a day but they started making me feel so full and solid, so now I eat more oranges, still I love Apples!! but is it ok to have as much as you want of could you gain??

johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hotasice2003
    Yup to all the above. I was just posting this to get that myth that's going around that you shouldn't have fruit on a cut out of people's heads.......
    When did this "myth" start going around? Fact is BB'ers getting ready for a contest cut it out- fact. Most people don't compete so an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When did this "myth" start going around? Fact is BB'ers getting ready for a contest cut it out- fact. Most people don't compete so an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
    i eat an apple every morning on my competition diet with 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1.5 cups egg whites. i like apples while cutting cause they are very filling. they are included in my diet until carb depletion begins. maybe youre talking about pro BB'ers in which case i wouldnt know.

Originally Posted by bodybuilder45
    maybe youre talking about pro BB'ers in which case i wouldnt know.
    Maybe if you knew what the best were doing you would get better- ever think about that? My advice to young people is to find someone who is doing what they would like to do and emulate them.

Maybe if you knew what the best were doing you would get better- ever think about that? My advice to young people is to find someone who is doing what they would like to do and emulate them.
    the best are doing steroids while i compete naturally. layne is a very respected natural competitor and im pretty sure he incorporates fruit for most of his pre contest diet. and derek has grapefruit every morning so he has fruit in his competition diet as well. i highly doubt 1-2 servings of fruit up til the last week is gonna break your physique for a bodybuilding show.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    indeed

extreme diets in any form are a pretty dumb idea

bump.........

bumpin again lol........

Meat n' potatoes are good ZaktheIllusion's Avatar
    ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZaktheIllusion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed
    indeed

extreme diets in any form are a pretty dumb idea

All natural kicks butt. Oh yeah and fruits great i have 4 servings a day.

DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50) DWhealthy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bananas
    mixed berries
    strawberries
    honeydew
    watermelon - like a mad man
    oranges
    kiwi

I love the prepackaged bowl at Whole Foods with the strawberrie, blue berries, and kiwi. One bowl a day is awesome. Although like $3.59

Also like the watermelon packaged bowls...

^ Ya, bananas gotta be my favorite.......

bump.....

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good article. Read when first posted....which begs the question....why the constant bumping?

Originally Posted by xenithon
    Good article. Read when first posted....which begs the question....why the constant bumping?

So others can read lol. I know in the nutrition and fat loss forums, ppl post so much, that this can be down 2 or 3 pages in about 2 or 3 hrs........

Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I absolutely love fruit. Melons, pineapple, apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, strawberries, kiwi are all great.

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love fruit, I eat a banana or orange for breakfast every morning, plus blueberries after workout and apples or seedless grapes or watermelon pieces for lunch. While I am cutting now I stop the fruit after my mid day meal. Then I switch to fibrous veggies for the later afternoon and evening. Seems like the best compromise to me.

Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr. Barnes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jim_Gym
    I love fruit, I eat a banana or orange for breakfast every morning, plus blueberries after workout and apples or seedless grapes or watermelon pieces for lunch. While I am cutting now I stop the fruit after my mid day meal. Then I switch to fibrous veggies for the later afternoon and evening. Seems like the best compromise to me.

I'm the same way. Well, I have strawberries with my oats every morning. Then a banana pwo, an apple later, and sometimes an orange too. I guess you could say I like fruit