Thread: Curcumin

^ The guy u wish u were ^ heavyduty's Avatar
    heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Curcumin

Originally posted on AM by jefas66 I was just wondering what everyones thoughts are are about it here.

Muscle regeneration

Believe it or not, curcumin has something in it that repairs muscle better than anything presently known. Derived from the spice turmeric, curcumin speeds recovery without injections or side effects. Although the data is preliminary, it appears that when curcumin is taken orally, it has the ability to home in on injured muscle. Once there, it changes the biochemistry of baby muscle cells, causing them to grow faster and clump together quicker to create new tissue. According to the study, curcumin caused muscle cells to fuse together twice as fast as they ordinarily would.

It’s not known exactly how curcumin works. Researchers do know, however, that curcumin suppresses a factor that influences growth factors. This factor, NF B (nuclear factor kappa B), plays a prominent role in immunity and cell growth. Immediately after muscle injury, the immune system dispatches cells to the area. Their job is to destroy old tissue and begin new construction. NF B is one of the lines of communication immune cells use to get things done. By influencing NF B, curcumin modulates the repair process.

The regeneration of muscle is a complex phenomenon. Curcumin works in part by changing the arrival time and status of chemical messengers known as cytokines. Cytokines appear at the scene early on, and they have a powerful effect on inflammation and cell growth. A cytokine known as IL-6 (interleukin-6), for example, makes muscle cells multiply. Another one called TNF (tumor necrosis factor) keeps cells from growing up, developing. By suppressing one, and enhancing the other, curcumin can speed things up.

The authors of the study believe that curcumin works by other mechanisms that probably involve growth factors, but this has not been proven yet. In other attempts to make muscles regenerate, researchers have tried injecting synthetic growth factors or transplanting myoblasts–all with limited success. Curcumin seems to be a much safer, more effective treatment–at least in the early stages. The effects of curcumin are felt early on–right after injury when the body first sends out the repair squads. So if you want to try curcumin for muscle regeneration, make sure you take it as soon as the injury occurs. The authors of the study predict that curcumin may be useful not only for accidental injuries or sports, but also to help repair surgical damage.

Thaloor D, et al. 1999. Systemic administration of the NF- B inhibitor curcumin stimulates muscle regeneration after traumatic injury. Am J Physiol 277(2 pt 1):C320-29.

Other links about curcumin properties :

http://www.curcuminoids.com/home.htm

http://www.curcuminoids.com/Pharmacological.htm

...Many documented studies :
    http://www.curcuminoids.com/research04.htm

Maybe one of the best best things you can take if you're interested in :
    -lowering your cholesterol levels
    -prevent (or even fight) cancer
    -get better muscular recovery after workouts
    -anti-inflammatory activity (same as aspirin without sides)
    -improving gastro intestinal tract (did you say gaz from whey protein ?? )
    and many others...
    Overtraning is Overrated

Repetition = Success

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Turmeric, specifically curcumin, is wondrous and I've recommended it many times before. That said, I find that post interesting, although I do not believe that I've noticed anything in terms of enhanced anabolism from supplementing with a potent standardized turmeric extract.

EDIT: I see that was stolen from Life Extension Foundation.
    Last edited by BringnIt; 03-11-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

^ The guy u wish u were ^ heavyduty's Avatar
    heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyduty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What exactly do you find it work for? I am thinking about just taking it for general health and joint support. maybe combinding it with bioperine.
    Overtraning is Overrated

Repetition = Success

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It has a wide range of benefits. For overall health it is one of the most potent compounds currently researched.

Unregistered User NoNameNecessary's Avatar
    NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, commonly found in curry dishes. Curcumin decreases inflammation by reducing histamine levels and raising natural cortisone production.

Curcumin is typically stacked along with glucosamine sulfate and/or boswellia for joint support. And IMO, that is all it is really effective for.

And IMO, that is all it is really effective for.
    And what is your opinion based on?

NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    From results I have seen in family members and friends who have used it, I have observed that it is only effective in joint support, but that's just my opinion. Other have said, like yourself, that it has worked well for many other things, and overall health. I believe it's all just a matter of how it works in personal cases.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Im too lazy to look it up, but is tumeric found in cumin? Or vice versa?
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

From results I have seen in family members and friends who have used it, I have observed that it is only effective in joint support, but that's just my opinion. Other have said, like yourself, that it has worked well for many other things, and overall health. I believe it's all just a matter of how it works in personal cases.
    How do you anecdotally measure a free radical scavenger, anti-carcinogenic properties, liver health, etc.?

I will be going to bed now, I will post more tomorrow night or the day after.

Talking

Vice versa you lazy b****!

Originally Posted by Lonny
    Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric.

And BringnIt, I apologize. You are correct. There actually have been studies to prove this. I guess I'm just too tired, and am talking out my arse.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NoNameNecessary
    Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric.

I was talking about the spice cumin and its relation to tumeric, curry, curcumin ect.

I make sure to include it everytime i cook beef. And pork. And chili. And pretty much anything that i think it will taste good with.

Sorry Bringit! long day. Besides, your the Tumeric expert.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

Tonight is not my night. I read that all wrong.

As did I. I don't believe cumin has much of a relationship with turmeric/curcumin. Could be wrong, I guess.

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Lonny
    LMAO!

Cumin and turmeric are two totally different spices. But curcumin is the "special" thing in turmeric. I highly recommend cooking with both spices along with coriander to make delishous rice and bean dishes.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Curcuminoids
    TRADE NAMES

Curcumin is available as turmeric generically from numerous manufacturers. Branded products include Turmeric Special Formula (Solaray) and Turmeric Power (Nature's Herbs).
    DESCRIPTION

Curcuminoids are polyphenolic pigments found in the spice turmeric. The term turmeric is used both for the plant Curcuma longa L. and the spice derived from the rhizomes of the plant. The major curcuminoids are curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin. These substances comprise 3 to 6% of Curcuma longa. Curcumin makes up 70 to 75% of the curcuminoids, demethoxycurcumin 15 to 20% and bisdemethoxycurcumin about 3%.

Curcuma longa is a tropical plant native to south and southeast tropical Asia. It is a member of the ginger or Zingiberaceae family. Turmeric is widely consumed in the countries of origin for a variety of uses, including use as a dietary spice, as a dietary pigment and as an Indian folk medicine for the treatment of various illnesses. It is also used in Hindu religious ceremonies in one form or another as part of the religious rites.

Curcuminoids are responsible for the yellow color of turmeric, as well as the yellow color of curry.

Curcuminoids are derived from turmeric by extraction with ethanol. Curcumin is the most studied of the curcuminoids. In pure form, it is an orange-yellow, crystalline powder that is insoluble in water. It is also known as diferuloylmethane and turmeric yellow. Its chemical name is (E, E) —1, 7-bis(4-hydroxy-3- methoxyphenyl)-1,6-heptadiene-3, 5 dione. The molecular formula of curcumin is C21H20O6, its molecular weight is 368.39 daltons, and its structural formula is:

Curcumin

Curcumin and the other curcuminoids have been found to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities and have been entered into Phase I clinical trials for cancer chemoprevention by the National Cancer Institute.
    ACTIONS AND PHARMACOLOGY
    ACTIONS

Curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin have antioxidant activity. They may also have anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and hypocholesterolemic activities.
    MECHANISM OF ACTION

The curcuminoids have been found to have a number of antioxidant activities, including scavenging of such reactive oxygen species as superoxide anions and hydrogen peroxide, inhibition of lipid peroxidation and inhibition of the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL). The reduced derivative of curcumin, tetrahydrocurcumin, has been found to have even stronger antioxidant activity. Tetrahydrocurcumin may be formed from curcumin following ingestion; however, this is unclear.

The possible anticarcinogenic activity of curcumin and the other curcuminoids may be accounted for by a few mechanisms. These include inhibition of angiogenesis, upregulation of apoptosis, interference with certain signal transduction pathways that are critical for cell growth and proliferation, inhibition of colonic mucosa cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase (LOX) activities and inhibition of farnesyl protein transferase. In addition to its possible activity in preventing malignant transformation and inhibiting tumor growth, curcumin may have antimetastatic potential, as well. In this regard, curcumin has been found to inhibit matrix metalloproteinase-9 in a human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line. The possible anticarcinogenic activity of the curcuminoids may be attributed, at least in part, to their ability to inhibit activation of the transcription factors NF-KappaB and AP-1. Curcuminoids have also been found to target the fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) angiogenic signaling pathway and inhibit expression of gelatinase B in the angiogenic process.

In the final analysis, the curcuminoids' antioxidant activity may underlie many of the above mechanisms. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) can activate AP-1 and NF-KappaB. Further, FGF-2 induces AP-1 activation via ROS produced through NADPH oxidase. The curcuminoids, acting as antioxidants, may interfere with the ability of FGF-2 to stimulate AP-1, and they may generally inhibit the activation of NF-KappaB and AP-1.

The possible anti-inflammatory activity of the curcuminoids may also be accounted for by several mechanisms, including inhibition of COX and LOX, reduction of the release of ROS by stimulated neutrophils, inhibition of AP-1 and NF-KappaB, and inhibition of the activation of the pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF (tumor necrosis factor) -alpha and IL (interleukin)-1 beta.

Curcumin has modest anti HIV-1 activity. It has been found to inhibit HIV-1 and HIV-2 proteases, HIV-1 LTR (long terminal repeat)-directed gene expression, Tat-mediated transactivation of HIV-1-LTR and HIV-1 integrase. All of these actions have been demonstrated in vitro. There is no evidence that curcumin or the other curcuminoids significantly inhibit the replication of HIV-1 in vivo. The mechanism of the possible hypocholesterolemic effect of the curcuminoids is unclear.
    PHARMACOKINETICS

The pharmacokinetics of the curcuminoids remain incompletely understood. Of the curcuminoids, curcumin has been most studied, mainly in animals. Curcumin is poorly absorbed following ingestion in mice and rats. In these animals, 38 to 75% of an ingested dose is excreted directly in the feces. Absorption appears to be better with food. In mice, the major metabolites of curcumin are curcumin glucuronoside, dihydrocurcumin glucuronoside, tetrahydrocurcumin glucuronoside and tetrahydrocurcumin. These metabolites are formed in the liver. Animal studies and the pharmacokinetics of curcumin are continuing. Human pharmacokinetic studies are needed.
    INDICATIONS AND USAGE

The curcuminoids may have anticarcinogenic, anti-atherosclerotic, anti-inflammatory (including anti-arthritic), antiviral, antifungal and immune-modulating effects. They appear to help detoxify some drugs and other chemicals. There is some evidence the curcuminoids may help prevent cataracts and ameliorate chronic anterior uveitis. They may also help speed wound healing. Claims that the curcuminoids may be helpful in gall bladder disease are poorly supported. Credible clinical trials related to the curcuminoids in general are lacking.
    RESEARCH SUMMARY

The curcuminoids have exhibited significant anticarcinogenic effects in numerous in vitro and animal studies. They have inhibited progression of chemically induced colon and skin cancers through, it has been suggested, their ability to inhibit angiogenesis, among other possible mechanisms. In some of these studies, curcumin has reduced both the size and number of tumors as well as the incidence of tumorigenesis. Curcumin appears to have significant inhibitory effects in both the promotional and progression stages of colon cancer.

In in vitro studies, curcumin has induced apoptosis in human leukemia cells, a variety of B lymphoma cells and others. It has been used topically in vitro and in some animal work to inhibit some skin cancers.

Turmeric, the activity of which may be due to constituents in addition to, or other than, the curcuminoids, has been used in various parts of the world to treat everything from abdominal bloating and flatulence to gonorrhea and hepatitis. Evidence in support of these uses is largely anecdotal. The German commission E, however, has approved turmeric for the treatment of liver and gall bladder disorders and for appetite loss.

Turmeric, administered in 1-gram doses daily for nine months, reportedly conferred significant protection against palatal cancer in a study of subjects at risk of this malignancy owing to reverse smoking. Significant regression of precancerous lesions was noted. Curcumin has also been reported to diminish the toxic effects of a number of cancer drugs and other chemicals, including cisplatin, doxorubicin, carbon tetrachloride, paraquat and ethanol. This work has been conducted using animals. Marked neuroprotective, hepatoprotective and pulmonary-protective effects have been seen.
    FYI
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    In one recent study, curcumin significantly reduced the total amount of chromo****l damage in nontumor cells of rats given cisplatin. This effect was attributed to curcumin's free radical-scavenging activity. Similarly, curcumin was recently shown to significantly prevent the nephrotoxicity of doxorubicin in rats.

The anti-inflammatory properties of the curcuminoids have been demonstrated in a number of in vitro and in some animal studies. These substances are widely used in India and Indonesia for various inflammatory conditions. In vitro, curcumin inhibits the production of such pro-inflammatory cytokines as tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta) and interleukin-8, among other anti-inflammatory actions.

Some preliminary evidence that one or more constituents of turmeric may be helpful in some forms of arthritis has emerged from a few animal studies and some human work. Curcumin itself was administered to rheumatoid arthritis patients (400 milligrams of curcumin three times a day for a total daily dose of 1,200 milligrams) for two weeks in a randomized, double-blind, crossover study. Significant subjective improvement was reported in terms of morning stiffness, walking time and joint swelling. No significant improvement was observed, however, in any objective measurement. Some have suggested that curcuminoids might be helpful in osteoarthritis, but there is no supporting evidence.

Claims that the curcuminoids may have anti-atherosclerotic effects are supported by some preliminary animal studies. Curcumin has shown some antithrombotic, anti-platelet aggregating activity in some in vitro and animal studies. It has also inhibited vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in vitro. A turmeric extract was recently shown to significantly inhibit LDL-cholesterol oxidation in rabbits with experimental atherosclerosis.

The curcuminoids have demonstrated antiviral, anti-fungal and immunomodulating effects, mostly in vitro. Curcumin has been described as having HIV-1-inhibiting effects in vitro. In a clinical trial of curcumin in 40 subjects with HIV-1 infection, however, the substance was ineffective in reducing viral load or increasing CD4 counts. The low bioavailability of curcumin may account, in part, for its lack of in vivo antiviral activity. There is no credible clinical data to support claims that curcumin is helpful in those with hepatitis C. Some of the curcuminoids and turmeric extracts have exhibited some in vitro anti-fungal activity, specifically against Candida albicans, Candida kruseii and Candida parapsilosis. Recently, curcumin was shown to have various immunomodulating effects in vitro, which the researchers concluded might indicate some therapeutic potential for curcumin in T helper 1(Th1)-mediated immune diseases. Research is ongoing.

Recently, curcumin was administered to subjects with chronic anterior uveitis (375 milligrams three times daily for 12 weeks). Significant improvement was noted beginning two weeks after beginning curcumin supplementation. Follow-up over three years showed there was a 55% recurrence rate. The response to curcumin was said, in this study, to be equivalent to that of corticosteroid therapy but, in contrast with the latter, there were no notable side effects associated with curcumin. The researchers have called for a double-blind, multi-center clinical follow-up trial.

Recently it was demonstrated in an animal study that naphthalene-initiated cataracts can be significantly prevented by curcumin. Naphthalene-initiated cataract is used as a model for studying senile human cataract. The study showed for the first time that these experimental cataracts are associated with apoptosis of lens epithelial cells and that curcumin prevents some of the apoptotic activity.

Finally, curcumin has recently enhanced cutaneous wound-healing in diabetic mice. Previous studies showed that curcumin could enhance cutaneous wound-healing in rats and guinea pigs. Both oral and topical curcumin were effective in the diabetic mice. Earlier re-epithelialization and improved neovascularization were among the healing processes observed in curcumin-treated animals. The researchers concluded that curcumin might be of benefit in helping to overcome diabetic-impaired healing processes.
    CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS, ADVERSE REACTIONS
    CONTRAINDICATIONS

Curcuminoids should be avoided by those hypersensitive to any component of a curcuminoid-containing supplement.

Curcuminoids may stimulate bile production in some. The volatile oil of turmeric is thought to be responsible for the bile-stimulating activity of turmeric, but this has not been conclusively established. Therefore, curcuminoids are contraindicated in those with bile duct obstructions and those with gallstones.
    PRECAUTIONS

Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid curcuminoid supplemention.

Those with gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD) and those with a history of peptic ulcer disease should exercise caution in the use of curcuminoid supplements.

Curcuminoids may have antithrombotic activity in some. Therefore, those on warfarin or anti-platelet drugs should exercise caution in their use. Cancer patients should only use curcuminoid supplements under medical supervision.

Curcuminoid supplements must be taken with food. Curcuminoids may cause gastric irritation and ulceration if taken on an empty stomach.
    ADVERSE REACTIONS

Adverse reactions of supplements principally comprised of curcuminoids are mainly gastrointestinal and include epigastric distress and nausea. There is one report of transient giddiness following curcuminoid ingestion. Abnormal liver tests have been reported in rats but not humans, and transient hypotension has been reported in dogs but, again, not in humans.

Curcuminoids may cause gastritis and peptic ulcer disease if taken without food.
    INTERACTIONS
    DRUGS

Chemotherapeutic agents: In animal studies, curcumin was found to enhance the antitumor effect of cisplatin against fibrosarcoma. It was also found to decrease the clastogenic effect of cisplatin. Also in animal studies, curcumin was found to decrease the nephrotoxicity due to doxorubicin and to decrease chromo****l aberrations due to bleomycin.

Anti-platelet drugs: Curcuminoids may enhance the action of anti-platelet drugs.

Warfarin: Curcuminoids may enhance the anticoagulant effect of warfarin.
    NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS

Bromelain: Bromelain (see Bromelain) is reputed to enhance the absorption of curcuminoids. However, there is no credible documentation of this.

Piperine: Piperine (see Piperine) may enhance the absorption of curcuminoids.
    DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Curcuminoid supplements are available that contain curcumin at 70 to 75%, demethoxycurcumin at 15 to 20% and bisdemethoxycurcumin at about 3%. Doses used range from 500 to 4000 milligrams daily, and they are taken with meals.

Curcuminoids taken on an empty stomach may cause gastric distress.
    HOW SUPPLIED

Most commercial products are standardized to 95% curcumin.

Capsules — 300 mg, 350 mg, 450 mg, 500 mg

Liquid

Tablets — 300 mg, 350 mg, 400 mg
    FYI
    Free agent
    11+ Years Experience

LITERATURE

Antunes LMG, Araújo MCP, Darin JD'AC, Bianchi MdeLP. Effects of the antioxidants curcumin and vitamin C on cisplatin-induced clastogenesis in Wistar rat bone marrow cells. Mutat Res. 2000; 465:131-137.

Arbiser JL, Klauber N, Rohan R, et al. Curcumin is an in vivo inhibitor of angiogenesis. Mol Med. 1998; 4:376-383.

Barthelmy S, Vergnes L, Moynier M, et al. Curcumin and curcumin derivatives inhibit Tat-mediated transactivation of type 1 human immunodeficiency virus long terminal repeat. Res Virol. 1998; 149:43-52.

Chan MM-Y. Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor by curcumin, a phytochemical. Biochem Pharmacol. 1995; 49:1551-1556.

Hellinger JA, Cohen CJ, Dugan ME, et al. Phase I/II randomized, open-label study of oral curcumin safety, and antiviral effects on HIV-RT PCR in HIV+ individuals. Third Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. Washington, DC; 1996: Abstract # 140.

Huang MT, Newmark HL, Fenkel K. Inhibitory effects of curcumin on tumorigenesis in mice. J Cell Biochem Suppl. 1997; 27:26-34.

Kang BY, Song YJ, Kim KM, et al. Curcumin inhibits Th1 cytokine profile in CD4+ T cells by suppressing interleukin-12 production in macro****es. BR J Pharmacol. 1999:128:380-384.

Kawamori T, Lubet R, Steele VE, et al. Chemopreventive effect of curcumin, a naturally occurring anti-inflammatory agent, during the promotion/progression stages of colon cancer. Cancer Res. 1999; 59:597-601.

Khopde SM, Priyadarsini KI, Guha SN, et al. Inhibition of radiation-induced lipid peroxidation by tetrahydrocurcumin: possible mechanisms by pulse radiolysis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000; 64:503-509.

Kuo ML, Huang TS, Lin JK. Curcumin, an antioxidant and anti-tumor promoter, induces apoptosis in human leukemia cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996; 1317:95-100.

Mazumder A, Raghavan K, Weinstein J, et al. Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 integrase by curcumin. Biochem Pharmacol. 1995; 49:1165-1170.

Mohan R, Sivak J, Ashton P, et al. Curcuminoids inhibit the angiogenic response stimulated by fibroblast growth factor-2, including expression of matrix metalloproteinase gelatinase B. J Biol Chem. 2000; 275:10405-10412.

Pan M-H, Huang T-M, Lin J-K. Biotransformation of curcumin through reduction and glucuronidation in mice. Drug Metab Disp. 1999; 27:486-494.

Pandya U, Saini MK, Jin GF, et al. Dietary curcumin prevents ocular toxicity of naphthalene in rats. Toxicol Lett. 2000; 115:195-204.

Park EJ, Jeon CH, Ko G, et al. Protective effect of curcumin in rat liver injury induced by carbon tetrachloride. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2000; 52:437-440.

Ramiré z-Tortosa MC, Mesa MD, Aguilera MC, et al. Oral administration of a turmeric extract inhibits LDL oxidation and has hypocholesterolemic effects in rabbits with experimental atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 1999; 147:371-378.

Sidhu GS, Mani H, Gaddipati JP, et al. Curcumin enhances wound healing in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats and genetically diabetic mice. Wound Rep Reg. 1999; 7:362-374.

Venkatesan N. Pulmonary protective effects of curcumin against paraquat toxicity. Life Sci. 2000; 66:PL21-PL28.

Venkatesan N, Punithavathi D, Arumugam V. Curcumin prevents adriamycin nephrotoxicity in rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2000; 129:231-234.

Zhang F, Altorki NK, Mestre JR, et al. Curcumin inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 transcription in bile acid-and phorbol ester-treated human gastrointestinal epithelial cells. Carcinogenesis. 1999; 20:445-451.
    FYI
    Free agent
    11+ Years Experience

nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10) nycste is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i just bought like 1/4 or 1/2 a pound of this stuff in powder for 2bucks

gonna put it into all the food if i can remmeber while making it

hope it works
    Current Logs
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119069591
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119069081

cutting time. ffffffuuuuu vitriol's Avatar
    vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vitriol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Apparently people have had positive effects using Curcumin to combat gyno

Registered User EvenStevenDream's Avatar
    EvenStevenDream has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Regarding Curcumin supplements there is, as is par for the course when you have manufacturers and distributors of inferior products contributing to the community, a lot of misinformation out there.

There is only one version of Curcumin that truly meets the standard for dissolution. BCM-95. BCM-95 is a uniquely wholistic tumeric extract. Note: MANY SUPPLEMENTS USE THE TERM CURCUMIN 95 OR 95% CURCUMIN. THESE ARE NOT BCM-95 SUPPLEMENTS AND I'M TIRED OF SEEING DISTRIBUTORS MAKE IT SEEM AS IF THEY ARE.

Curcumin is in fact the active curcuminoid in Tumeric and it is responsible for the broad ranging and singularly outstanding positive effects on the human body. To be even more specific, Curcumin is broken down into Tetrahydrocurcuminoid in the bloodstream which is truly the active compound responsible for the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-carcinogenic, anabolic stimulating effects of curcmin.

Curcumin is one of three Curcuminoids found in Tumeric. BCM-95 Curcumin includes all three curcuminoids along the with volatile oils found in Tumeric in order to significantly increase absorption rates and with Curcumin, absorption is everything. The manufacturers of BCM-95 have done numerous human trials and have proven that BCM-95 shows up to eight times higher absorption than standard curcumin, which is found in the large majority of Curcumin products.

I am writing this because I saw a vast difference after switching to a BCM-95 Curcumin and I was instantly angered by the fact that I had wasted so much money on a number of products that weren't being absorbed into my bloodstream. I blame myself for not doing my homework but, at least, I can help others from making the same mistake.

The only BCM-95 Curcumin I use is Curcu-Gel Ultra Double Strength 500mg Curcumin. It is made by the manufacturer, Tishcon, who is mentioned on the the BCM-95 website. Apparently this was the version used in the studies. If you take curcumin, use this version!