Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000)

New to the site but not new to the gym!

Hey all I've been lifting for 20 + years and am now 41 yrs old and a Christian. I've been having a hard time lately trying to decide yes or no to "gear." Just thought I'd throw it out to see what kind of a response I get. I've hit a plateau like I often do at about 4 mts into a lifting cycle and can't seem to pass 190 lbs and maintain a low BF %. I've got several buddies that are hitting the gear hard and trying to get me on board and I have to say I'm a little jealous and pissed off at the same time after all I work my tail off in the gym. Any advise?

Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shooterworth View Post
    Hey all I've been lifting for 20 + years and am now 41 yrs old and a Christian. I've been having a hard time lately trying to decide yes or no to "gear." Just thought I'd throw it out to see what kind of a response I get. I've hit a plateau like I often do at about 4 mts into a lifting cycle and can't seem to pass 190 lbs and maintain a low BF %. I've got several buddies that are hitting the gear hard and trying to get me on board and I have to say I'm a little jealous and pissed off at the same time after all I work my tail off in the gym. Any advise?
    So basically your not happy with how god made you and as a response to your jealousy towards your friends giving into their vanity by using illegal substances you're willing to do the same yourself? How very christian of you.
    NASM CPT
    ISSA CFT

I do it because I can
    I can because I want to
    I want to because you say I can't

Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr_Kinney View Post
    So basically your not happy with how god made you and as a response to your jealousy towards your friends giving into their vanity by using illegal substances you're willing to do the same yourself? How very christian of you.

While that's a pretty harsh way of saying it, I agree for the most part. I take it by your snide remark near the end there you are not a Christian, or hold a general opinion of all Christians. Which I can say is not fair, and the fact he is a Christian, and is questioning a moral decision, can be said for anyone, whether Christian or not. Christians are just people as well and as such can fall victim to the same issues an athiest, agnostic or otherwise can as well. The argument that Christians are better people and if they exhibit similarities to those who are not Christian will make them any less Christian, is just untrue altogether. We're all people, we all need help and we as Christians recognize Christ as the only way to receive that help, that's the difference.

That being said, there are many other ways of breaking a plateau without compromising your morals. Remember that while "gear" may be considered safe by some, it is illegal, and the general consensus among the community (here on BB.com and in the general sporting arena) is that it is bad for you. Also remember, we are called to submit to authority when it does not go against God or God's word (the bible) and you have the Holy Spirit to guide you in those instances. In my opinion, this is not an instance in which you should violate authority. I pray you find a way around this dilemma and begin to see yourself in a new light, not needing something like "gear" to fulfill your BB'ing goals.
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GMan35 View Post
    whats up guys? thought id just get it on this thread....
    Welcome to the thread sir, glad to have you!
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000) shooterworth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Gatorbuild View Post
    Welcome to the thread sir, glad to have you!
    Yeah, a bit harsh I thought too, but maybe what I needed to hear. Thanks for the invite and welcome Gatorbuild. I know what is right and what God would have me do. Thanks again. New cycle new diet begins today. Here come the calories. I get so tired of eating ya know.

Originally Posted by shooterworth View Post
    Yeah, a bit harsh I thought too, but maybe what I needed to hear. Thanks for the invite and welcome Gatorbuild. I know what is right and what God would have me do. Thanks again. New cycle new diet begins today. Here come the calories. I get so tired of eating ya know.
    That's the spirit. New diet, new workout, new challenges! I hear you on the being tired of eating, I'm right there with you. Best of luck!
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

Originally Posted by Gatorbuild View Post
    That's the spirit. New diet, new workout, new challenges! I hear you on the being tired of eating, I'm right there with you. Best of luck!
    Workout went good tonight. Not used to switching body parts like I did. Jumped from Squats to hams to bent over rows then barbell curls for bi's. Was different than my usual back / tris, chest/bis, legs/shoulder routine. Plus increased the volume and cut down on number of reps i've been doing. Was a different feel but a good one.

Not a True Scotsman BRO_RESULTS's Avatar
    BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am far from being big, but only reason I haven't considered gear is because of the aforementioned authority submission that was commissioned to us by Paul, and also because when I made sure to actually give a crap about periodization and didn't just lift on the fly like I used to with no set goals, and I started making short term lifting goals and meeting them, I actually made real progress.

Just increase the weight over time. When you do this, decrease the reps. Then continue upping the reps til you hit a set/rep target. Once you hit that, up the weight again. Every few months, go lighter (build up to your maxes again) and then seek to hit PR's again.

It's all about switching it up THE SMART WAY, not the stupid "uh last time I did flat bench with a bar so today I'll do dumbbells TO CONFUSE MY MUSCLEZ LOL"
    Check out my blog at:

http://fitness4morons.com

RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueX10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Christain here.

Follower Of Jesus Christ Footprints31's Avatar
    Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Footprints31 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My question is, is it acceptable for a Christian to use supplements at all or is it not? Are supplements considered a drug & thus a sin to use them?. I'd like some feedback from my brother's & sisters in Christ on this.

Originally Posted by SavedSaint View Post
    My question is, is it acceptable for a Christian to use supplements at all or is it not? Are supplements considered a drug & thus a sin to use them?. I'd like some feedback from my brother's & sisters in Christ on this.
    Well, it depends on what supplements you are talking about. If for instance you mean multi-vitamins, fish oils, whey etc. etc., then no, it's not a sin. Drugs (legal) by themselves are not considered "sinful" or condemned anywhere in the bible. It depends on what you have in mind when taking them. If you are coming from the angle that you want to live a healthier lifestyle, and choose to so (relatively) naturally through medically proven supplements, then no, I see no issue. As has been said on here numerous times in any conversation: If you can get all your nutrients from natural sources (whole foods, teas, etc. etc.) then it's always going to be better than going another route.

As a Christian, with anything, you should seek out God's will first, if you do this, and feel comfortable, go and ask a physician if taking these supplements carry any risks to you, or could be harmful in the long run, if your list of supps pass both tests, I see no reason it would be considered a sin to take supplements.

In my opinion, God wants us to rely on Him, seek Him, and learn to heed to His direction for our life, going to a Doctor for medication for a serious ailment or even a cold isn't a sin, sometimes that is the direction God wants us to take and other times he will deal with health in miraculous ways. Just look at the parable in Luke 10:30-37, in this parable the man who was "the neighbor who helped the man who fell into the hands of robbers" put oils on him and bandaged him up, sounds like some meds to me. God sends out Doctors and nutritionists and personal trainers as well, there is no harm in seeking their guidance as long as you realize that God is ultimately THE healer (His healing may have come through someone or something else, but ultimately it was Him.) People who often take the other side of this arguemnent take 2 Chronicles 16:12:

“In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians.”

The issue wasn't that he went to doctors for help, the issue is he never sought out God's will / healing / guidance and that is the reason he died, not because he went to doctors.

This is turning into a rambling, but I hope that helps.
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Belacsacul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

=)

it is christ that strenghthens me

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
    Shut up and lift

Stay Strong

Suck it up Others have had it worse

Right Mentality Necesary! ReedT's Avatar
    ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hello my brothers and sisters! I just got done with a 40 Day Fast for Lent. It was an interesting experience, I can tell you that!

How's everyone doing?
    "It doesn’t matter what you’ve heard
    Impossible is not a word
    It’s just a reason for someone not to try"
    -Kutless "What Faith Can Do"

(Proper Diet+Correct Training Program)^EFFORT= Results!

Most people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't know they can fly like Superman

Not a True Scotsman BRO_RESULTS's Avatar
    BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000) BRO_RESULTS is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ReedT View Post
    Hello my brothers and sisters! I just got done with a 40 Day Fast for Lent. It was an interesting experience, I can tell you that!

How's everyone doing?
    Lent? YOUR NOT CHRISTIAN

j/k my Catholic brother. Welcome to the thread!
    Check out my blog at:

http://fitness4morons.com

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thankfully, I'm also saved by Grace.

Although I've been quite ill for the past decade, I still struggle along. Personally, I never thought I'd make it to this point. I can truly relate with people suffering from chronic disease. We're living in a world of corrupted free agency so it never ceases to amaze me the world hasn't self-destructed already. No, I'm not talking strictly of man's corrupt free agency, but ALL of creation including fallen divine entities which negatively impact humanity as well as creation itself.

Even humanity's attempt at "objective" observation, i.e. science, is tainted by the limited capacity of humanity's sensory ability whether extended by technology or not. The very fact that humans are involved in the observations relegates science to a modern version of superstition. What happens to the human's world when something supernatural finally manifests itself which tends to happen in due time? One option is simply denial in any of its forms, i.e. outright dismissal or dismissing the event in understandable terms, and the other option is acceptance that our "world" is merely an illusion or some sort, but one with parameters dictated in part by our sensory system and consequences for violating those parameters.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 04-15-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Feel33 Act43 Look53 Age63 RogerAgness's Avatar
    RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up Orlando, Florida

55yo 6'0" skinny guy who loves Jesus, has been going to the gym since December 2008, and doing Kris Greithen's 12-Week Video Transformation workout now for nine weeks.

I'll never be ripped and buff like some of you here, but I can be bigger. I can see progress, got me some pecs and biceps... and the beginning of lats!

God bless,
    \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, not an amusement park!

Feel33 Act43 Look53 Age63 RogerAgness's Avatar
    RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RogerAgness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Affliction88 View Post
    The bible says that Jesus grew spiritually but he also grew in stature. Not sure if i interpreted it right or not but I want to grow in stature just as he did during his time on earth.
    "Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and with man."

- Intellectually
    - Physically
    - Spirituallly
    - Socially
    \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, not an amusement park!

Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fezzik1071 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Writer25 View Post
    To all, how has your faith influenced body building or fitness?
    The spiritual and Christian side of bodybuilding/fitness/dieting is really interesting to me. For many (including myself at times), it can be a source of excess and vanity. Just look at how many guys are resorting to steroids and illegal substances because they want more or aren't satisfied with their progress.

On the other side of things--and this is what I strive for--bodybuilding and especially nutrition are the ultimate exercise in temperance.

"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
    -1 Cor 9:26,27

Here Paul is using metaphor to describe our spiritual journey, but it highlights two Christian qualities that are absolute necessities in fitness: self control and perseverance. I just think it is very cool how the two things walk hand-in-hand

isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isotopes2101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Fezzik1071 View Post
    The spiritual and Christian side of bodybuilding/fitness/dieting is really interesting to me. For many (including myself at times), it can be a source of excess and vanity. Just look at how many guys are resorting to steroids and illegal substances because they want more or aren't satisfied with their progress.

On the other side of things--and this is what I strive for--bodybuilding and especially nutrition are the ultimate exercise in temperance.

"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
    -1 Cor 9:26,27

Here Paul is using metaphor to describe our spiritual journey, but it highlights two Christian qualities that are absolute necessities in fitness: self control and perseverance. I just think it is very cool how the two things walk hand-in-hand

I like!

brahs, try to encourage this new brother in Christ as well, he just accepted Christ and the force of darkness already trying to pull him away. what a cosmic battle!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post502471101
    Last edited by isotopes2101; 06-10-2010 at 12:02 AM.

thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebeginning88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wonderful thread guys, glad to see some fellow family members

May take a bit, but I need to read through these 6 pages...

Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Apostle4Jesus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For real! Time to minister into the bodybuilding world! Build4Christ4eva! God Bless!

InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50) InHisHonor will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

This is my first time searching through the forums and I was very happy to see a thread dedicated to the Christian bodybuilders. I think its great that there is a place we can come to have discussions about health/exercise/bodybuilding with other like-minded individuals. Its the body of Christ coming together.....about the body, lol.
    "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." Proverbs 14:23, NIV.

Dont be discouraged by what others say or by your own doubts. Whats important is that you're here and you're willing.

jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whatsup! First post. Man I love seeing brothers come in here and share life as much as possible. The struggle of keeping motives in check, and always finding our identity in Christ and not body image is tough. But at the end of the day, it's all about honoring the Creator, not his creation.

Remember that guys!

-james

Church Community: Mars Hill, Seattle WA/Oikos, Bellingham WA

solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) solodeo22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go to Mars Hill Church in Seattle... The sermons frequently talk about idolatry and not worshipping God in what you do as a Christian, but instead something else that gives you a high... I feel like bodybuilding is a hard balance, how do you guys deal with this?

Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deadbob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gordonw View Post
    I go to Mars Hill Church in Seattle... The sermons frequently talk about idolatry and not worshipping God in what you do as a Christian, but instead something else that gives you a high... I feel like bodybuilding is a hard balance, how do you guys deal with this?
    Take a multi and lift hard, it'll work out in the end

Seriously, this is not an easy matter to figure out.

Is God your first priority, or is something else? The best thing you can do is spend some quiet time with God.

Be honest and ask yourself questions like, Do I cut short your time in the bible, prayer life, volunteer work or however I chose to honor and seek God just to push iron away from the earth? If God calls you to do a fast, you you say, "Sorry dude, it'll hurt my gains, maybe next time."?

Do you look at your budget and think, "If I skip my tithe, I can afford to do ___"?

When with your G/F, do you give into temptation despite that TINY voice in your head saying "NO! NO! NO!"?

Ponder over what your priorities REALLY are. Once you figure that out, you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you need to change. God should be your first and foremost priority without ANY questions asked. Everything else is up to you.
    USMC - OEF/OIF Veteran

jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50) jameswolpert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gordonw View Post

Absolutely it's difficult. What helps me is having a proper view of manhood; a biblical view of manhood. Lifting weights and being cut, despite what our sport says, is not what defines a man. Be vigilant in prayer, and reading Scripture to fully grasp what being a man is all about. Mars Hill is ALL about preparing men to be worthy of the title, a "Man of God". Check out their blog... google Mars Hill blog (lol I can't link a URL yet, not enough posts).

Realize that money is NOT the only asset we have that really shows u where our hearts are. I am a believer that our TIME is a much better indicator. How much time do you spend in prayer? Reading your bible, listening to sermons, serving your community, engaging in discussion, loving your family/kids whatever (can't relate there, I'm only 21!). Realize our calling is to Jesus and to continue spreading his kingdom here on earth.

But we shouldn't feel guilty to be involved in BB at all. It's a hobby; a sport. But the moment it becomes our idol, or sense of identity, there's a problem.

The good news is, the same goes for everything else! ANY hobby has the potential to become what our hearts chase. Football players, Rock stars, Professional Chefs, whatever... The moment you are defined by your job/sport/hobby and not by being a follower of Christ, you are in sin, and need to make some changes.

One of the most real things I see that reaffirms my faith in Christ is that we are absolutely, intently, created to WORSHIP. Something, whether Godly or not, is always leading us, being our focus of worship. The question is, what do you worship? Money, Christ, body image? Something to think about. To pray about.

IMO, bodybuilding is particularly dangerous sometimes, in that it differs from "traditional" sports because it can absolutely consume people. The potential to build your life solely around this sport seems much greater than others. A real danger indeed.

So do NOT feel guilty about your sport. Build your body, honor your Creator by building creation. Just make sure it's because you want it for yourself, because you feel good being in shape, having the extra energy, and want to/eventually look smokin' hot for your wife! Not so when you take your shirt off, other guys feel insecure - you look the best, and shallow girls want to get with you (that is a whole other topic... sigh. seek Godly women dudes, they are awesome).

^This point is serious, fellas. Really search your motives and hearts. WHERE is your IDENTITY rooted? What is your house built on? Is Jesus your cornerstone - the piece of your life that if removed, your world would fall apart?!

Or is it this hobby... this, sport. The body withers and fades, fellas. Build what lasts.

Isaiah 40...
    "...All flesh is grass,and all its beauty is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."

At the end of the day guys, build what matters - eternally. Then build your body. Know that nothing earthly lasts. Focus on this, pray earnestly that your heart be a heart after God's own, and I have faith you will see your most inner desire start to change. You will find the balance, and you will be content with it. Be a REAL man & Follow Jesus!

Hit me up anytime guys, I have a real heart for this. I am praying to maybe even start a ministry.

James
    Last edited by jameswolpert; 07-22-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Location: Cwmbran, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) danyuill has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    21 years old and i've been a Christian since i was 11

so happy there are others here believing in God I cant think him enough for the strength he bestows upon me every time i lift

the time i spend in the sauna after a workout is the perfect time to give my thanks...sounds wierd i know but im in there for 10 minutes and it allows me to clear my mind with the big man and know that all is good.
    Last edited by danyuill; 07-25-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Weakness is a choice

iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50) iPump will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jameswolpert View Post
    Absolutely it's difficult. What helps me is having a proper view of manhood; a biblical view of manhood. Lifting weights and being cut, despite what our sport says, is not what defines a man. Be vigilant in prayer, and reading Scripture to fully grasp what being a man is all about. Mars Hill is ALL about preparing men to be worthy of the title, a "Man of God". Check out their blog... google Mars Hill blog (lol I can't link a URL yet, not enough posts).

Realize that money is NOT the only asset we have that really shows u where our hearts are. I am a believer that our TIME is a much better indicator. How much time do you spend in prayer? Reading your bible, listening to sermons, serving your community, engaging in discussion, loving your family/kids whatever (can't relate there, I'm only 21!). Realize our calling is to Jesus and to continue spreading his kingdom here on earth.

But we shouldn't feel guilty to be involved in BB at all. It's a hobby; a sport. But the moment it becomes our idol, or sense of identity, there's a problem.

The good news is, the same goes for everything else! ANY hobby has the potential to become what our hearts chase. Football players, Rock stars, Professional Chefs, whatever... The moment you are defined by your job/sport/hobby and not by being a follower of Christ, you are in sin, and need to make some changes.

One of the most real things I see that reaffirms my faith in Christ is that we are absolutely, intently, created to WORSHIP. Something, whether Godly or not, is always leading us, being our focus of worship. The question is, what do you worship? Money, Christ, body image? Something to think about. To pray about.

IMO, bodybuilding is particularly dangerous sometimes, in that it differs from "traditional" sports because it can absolutely consume people. The potential to build your life solely around this sport seems much greater than others. A real danger indeed.

So do NOT feel guilty about your sport. Build your body, honor your Creator by building creation. Just make sure it's because you want it for yourself, because you feel good being in shape, having the extra energy, and want to/eventually look smokin' hot for your wife! Not so when you take your shirt off, other guys feel insecure - you look the best, and shallow girls want to get with you (that is a whole other topic... sigh. seek Godly women dudes, they are awesome).

^This point is serious, fellas. Really search your motives and hearts. WHERE is your IDENTITY rooted? What is your house built on? Is Jesus your cornerstone - the piece of your life that if removed, your world would fall apart?!

Or is it this hobby... this, sport. The body withers and fades, fellas. Build what lasts.

Isaiah 40...
    "...All flesh is grass,and all its beauty is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."

At the end of the day guys, build what matters - eternally. Then build your body. Know that nothing earthly lasts. Focus on this, pray earnestly that your heart be a heart after God's own, and I have faith you will see your most inner desire start to change. You will find the balance, and you will be content with it. Be a REAL man & Follow Jesus!

Hit me up anytime guys, I have a real heart for this. I am praying to maybe even start a ministry.

James
    Solid post. Christianity isn't a list of dos and don't s. It's unfortunate that too many people get wrapped up on identifying their sins and sins of others that they lose focus of having a relationship with our Father.
    I'll check out the blog. Thanks
    My work out journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114220261

NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NorCalJR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Chistian here from California checking in. Some really great conversations going on in here.

Thought I'd share this video I made for my Churches recent conference we had.

http://www.vimeo.com/13045462

DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DHFX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Props for the thread. Heading over to Faith church in CT on monday to go see a favorite pastor of mine... Jesse Duplantis. Used to see him on tv growing up and always liked his whitty but scripture based teachings.
    I leave you with a reminder to speak up to others when God prompts you because at the end of everything, everyone you see around you will either reign with you in heaven or suffer eternally in the lake of fire. And YOU just might be that persons difference between the two.
    Plays frisbee with 45's.

★US Air Force Veterans Crew★

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast