Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

My fat 47 year old dad.....

I was wondering if you guys or gals could suggest a Meal Replacment for my dad.

Right now he is 6'2, and although he won't tell me his exact weight I am esitmating him at 260. He just bought Slim Fast yesterday but I know that there is much better stuff out there...I just don't know what.

So if anyone could suggest something it would be much appriciated.

Willie Wonka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    He's 47 man, cut him some slack. If he wants to lose weight he needs to change his diet a little. You didn't mention if he drinks beer or even if he exercises.
    Lift hard, die big.

Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mark142 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not trying to be a **** to him or anything. But I mean he is wanting to loose weight so I am just checking to see what is better than Slim Fast.

And he has been in AA for 5 years sober and he exercises...not much at all. He also has high blood pressure and I am worried about him getting a heart attack.

Willie Wonka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lucky you mentioned that part about the blood pressure. Most things besides slim fast (supplement wise was I mean) are not good for weight loss if you have high blood pressure. A lot of the products speed up you metabolism and increase your heart rate to help you burn fat. They all have warnings on the side about heart attacks and so forth. Also your dad is not even near being old yet, but he is at stage where it is harder to lose fat and weight than if he was 20-30 years old. The main thing he needs to do is watch his meals. He still can eat like 3-4 times a day just in smaller quantities and you should put him on an exercise program (with his doctors permission). He needs to workout more on the cardio side like walking or bicycle than he needs to lift weights.
    Lift hard, die big.

wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50) wardog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Number one..congradulations to you for caring enough about him.

Best thing to do is figure out his needed calories and check his diet...drinking slim-fast will not help if he is shoveling a gallon of ice cream or case of beer down with his shake.

Check with the doc about the high blood pressure

Start him with just walking..simple and easy. Let him build a bit of a base before he hits weights, gets sore as hell..and never excersizes again.

A keto diet may not be a bad idea..and works very well for men, and helps with the blood pressure.
    LG Sciences
    Visit us at www.lgsciences.com

pjorstad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since he has high blood pressure make sure he gets plenty of water. This will really lower the blood pressure. I think from me consuming lots of water i was able to drop it 20 points. I think so because i used to be like 120+ when i was like 125 lbs and real skinny and at like 140 with a still low bf% and eating good and drinking tons of water i checked my blood pressure a month ago and it was like barely over 100. I attribute this mostly to water. maybe the flaxseed too. That flaxseed is good stuff but im not sure if it was a contributor. Also make sure he breathes properly during excercise for weight lifting, this is crucial. But make sure he gets the ok from the doctor before he weight lifts.

As for the meal replacement. Definitely myoplex. He may not like the taste but neither do i. ALl i do is drink it without breathing through my nose so its like drinking water, no taste. Some people like it though. Anyways though myoplex is good because its complex carbs and its high in protein. It will fill him up like hell too. That is good because it will make him less hungry for other foods and the protein will increase his metabolism too and the high protein will help him build maintain muscle on a weight program.
    Last edited by pjorstad; 09-03-2002 at 07:48 PM.

Evangelical Agnostic CerealKiller's Avatar
    CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CerealKiller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    AST NYTRO-PRO is a good MRP. Has a much better vitamin/mineral profile than most other MRP's. EAS Myoplex is good too.

institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000) institutional is just really nice. (+1000)
    drinking extra water is not a good idea for hypertensive patients as this increases the blood pressure. btw many doctors even prescribe diuretics to lower their patients blood pressure.

pjorstad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't agree with that. Water is the very reason why my blood pressure dropped like a rock!! It may have been a little to also excercise and some flax but considering im a light smoker i think those other factors were negated. Water gets rid of the sodium in your body. The very reason why steroids cause high blood pressure also is because of sodium retention. If you drink a lot of water you deplete your body of salt. In fact you can die if you drink many gallons of water in a day because of this fact! Learn some facts man!