Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Diet

Toner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Atkins Diet

Hi,

Okay I bought the ketostix. I did my food shopping. I'm ready to start the Atkins diet......again. I have two questions: I want to lose ten pounds. How quickly will this happen if I stick to under 20 grams of carbs per day, eating nothing but fat and protein. I've been eating at Burger King and Pizza Hut for the past two weeks and have put on some weight. Can I just go ahead and do the induction phase for three wekks straight? Will it work?

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most people here do not practice atkins, but do use a bodybuilders ketonic diet or CKD. There is a ton of info on this site for keto. If you are aiming to stictly stay adkin's let me suggest the adkins sites for help on atkins.

PEACE

pammii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Atkins Diet

Originally posted by Toner
    Hi,

Okay I bought the ketostix. I did my food shopping. I'm ready to start the Atkins diet......again. I have two questions: I want to lose ten pounds. How quickly will this happen if I stick to under 20 grams of carbs per day, eating nothing but fat and protein. I've been eating at Burger King and Pizza Hut for the past two weeks and have put on some weight. Can I just go ahead and do the induction phase for three wekks straight? Will it work?
    you can stay on induction phase for aslong as you like, i actually like being strict and staying in induction the whole time, but every now and then i will up my carbs a little to maintenance level.

alt.support.diet.low-carb is basically an atkins newsgroup, people always willing to answer anything and even just reading it helps i find it better than atkins books and his site.

aslong as youre in ketosis, like dark purple then you will drop the weight pretty quickly, first two weeks will be water weight mostly, then after that you will really notice your body comp. start to change. some people will also say that dont go by the ketostix, theyre great for encouragement, but if youre not in dark purple range dont worry, cause you will also be drinking plenty of water to dilute the reading anyway. the other thing to is, if you have the fat too high then your only burning the fat intake not your body fat and you will still show that youre in ketosis.

but you should be able to shed the 10lbs easily in 2 weeks if youre strict and dont cheat could even do it in a week.
    good luck. by the way, another sign your burning up your fat is the breath, eeewww, drink green tea and it will help or munch on some parsley. but try and stay away from mints and gum etc, as they will have minimal carbs, but it all counts.

good luck, anything you want to know about atkins feel free to pm me, or just ask in the newsgroup (can search in google) and some there will be an expert on it.

cheers
    "oh crap.....i shouldn't have eaten those coco pops"

- my brother

Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my father did the atkins diet...lost 1/3 of his bodyweight in just under a year....its pretty effective. The only thing is you dont get your weekend carbup like you do in the CKD.

I have lost 10lbs in a week and a half by doing the keto/atkins style diet...but dont go strictly by the scale because 1/2 if not more is water loss. Typical "fat" loss on this kinda diet is about 2-3lbs a week but more with water loss.

good luck!

So if I want to lose ten pounds by September 18, WHEN should I begin the Atkins induction diet?

Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if im not mistaken the atkins intro is 3 weeks...so i would start asap!

didnt i already help you out with this question a few days ago...or was that someone else????

I think it was me. I'm just wondering about the timeline of it all. I know when I sto pthe Atkins I will gain weight again. ANd I want to make sure that on September 18 I am still in weight loss mode. I don't thin kI could do the Atkins for 3 weeks straight without cheating. Is Atkins the best way to lose the weight fast?

that or dnp....but dnp is pretty hardcore

okay - what's dnp?

atkins induction is 2 weeks, then you go into pre maintenance where it is around 30-40g depending on what you still lose at, and then you have the rest of it where you eat the carbs that you stop losing but dont put on.

there is the fat fast you can do for a week on atkins after you go into ketosis, its usually used to break a stall, but a lot of people use it to lose a lot of fat very quickly. although it isn't pleasant, but you can lose like 5lbs in a few days, some have even lost up to 15lbs in a week.

the thing about atkins and putting on weight after is that its a w.o.e for the rest of your life, its not a "diet" i will never go back to eating the carbs like i did. i might have pasta or rice once in a while. but i will be a low carb eater for the rest of my life, i just feel so much better.

if you want to cheat on atkins, be expected to be knocked out of ketosis and take two days to get back into it. its a mind thing too, if youre really keen on losing the weight then whats say 2-3 weeks out of your life. when you feel like cheating just think how blah you will feel and how much longer to reach your goal, is one cheat day worth it? sure its fine when youve reached your goal, aslong as you dont binge straight after youve reached your goal.

can't stress water enough either.

any strict diet you will put back on weight when you come off it. unless you plan on keeping on it but modified.

and like blindfaithy boy said there's stuff to accelarate, maybe try adding in a fat burner like eca, do a search on fat burners, and look in bb.com store. but make sure you read up about fat burners first so you know what the sides will be.

anyway theres heaps more but best thing to do is read the threads you find on the search, cause most of your questions will be answered in there

cheers
    pamela

- my brother

TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have used atkins low carb diet and i am currently using to cut up...

i lost 35LBS in 2 months on this diet, its very effective...add cardio to it and you'll lose weight fast...i cant say you will lose 10LBS by sept.18

anyways i wanted to get to 170LBS and i did and i noticed i had more fat to lose..so its good to set a goal, just that when you reach it you might wanna continue....good luck!
    Live forever....

Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000) Mibaile5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just so you know, the ketostix can be a discouragement at times. They will say that you are not in ketosis, when you usually are. Don't worry about the whole dark purple reading thing though. Even a "trace" reading is as good as dark purple. It has never been proved that deeper ketosis means faster fat loss. If your in ketosis, you will lose weight. Itll probably take u between 2-4 days to hit ketosis. I foound the ketostix to be kind of expensive, i can tell when ive hit it...you will have bad breath, your pee will be neon-like in color(lol), and many people have a metallic like taste in their mouth. Good luck to you man!

proteus3446 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been reading a lot about low carb dieting on thes board and elswere. IN the diet used on this page the post workout carbs dont count. When doing an atkins plan does the same thing hold true. He seems really strick in his bood about this but dosent take into consideration the needs of a weight lifter post workout. Secoundly, is all this weight that comes off so quickly mostly fat? Can you see the diffrence in the mirror?

Originally posted by proteus3446
    I have been reading a lot about low carb dieting on thes board and elswere. IN the diet used on this page the post workout carbs dont count. When doing an atkins plan does the same thing hold true. He seems really strick in his bood about this but dosent take into consideration the needs of a weight lifter post workout. Secoundly, is all this weight that comes off so quickly mostly fat? Can you see the diffrence in the mirror?
    my opinion on the post workout carbs is that on atkins all it will do is set you back a teeny weeny bit, but will still lose weight cause of the physical activity.

and the weight that comes of is mostly fat, ie. first week or two is water weight and gets your metabolism and keto up (induction phase), and then after that it is fat that is lost, you can definitely tell in the mirror

the other cool thing about atkins, after the first two weeks you wont crave carbs anymore, cause its like an addiction and the first two weeks is like a detox. you will get headaches etc, but just stick with it and you will do fine.

atkins doesn't have cheat days though, so if you wanted to add that into it you will be looking at two to 3 days set back as far as weightloss is concerned depending on how big the cheat was.

i get around this by modifying my cheat, seeing how much i can make it low carb.

my 2 cents.

and about keto stix, i always tell people to buy them for the induction phase, and seeing the stick change lets you know youre doing the right things, if its dark purple then they know theyre not drinking enough water. its juts a little novelt to see how it works then after the first lot of stix is used then i say dont worry about them anymore. cause you can eat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and that will make the stix dark purple in about 4 hours, but thats your body burning eaten fat not body fat so it is misleading.

cheers

- my brother

Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000) Matthew D is just really nice. (+1000)
    On the CKD you need the carb up day at the end of the week to re-energize you muscle for the next week of training.. you just have to keep it sensible and keep the carbs to the more complex ones. The post workout carbs are so that you get the protein into your muscle because it needs to be a mix of dextrose and whey protein... protein needs the carbs to have an insulin spike to drive the protein into the muscles.. so if you do it with the 30g / 30 g you should have the right mix for JUST doing that.

princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you dont want dnp

Hey everyone,

Well, it is day 6 on Atkins Induction. The craving for carbs is getting lower and I'm not as hungry anymore. I feel thinner though the scale only indicates a minor drop in weight (maybe two pounds). Been having headaches and a foggy feeling pretty constantly - and diarrhea too. Doesn't seem healthy buy it makes me feel lighter somehow. And the dry mouth really sucks - I mean, I'm a good kisser and now I gotta Scope up every hour.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tried Atkins for 9 days one time & thought I was going to die. I was so dizzy & out of it feeling by the 9th day I decided it wasn't for me. At least on the Keto diet that a lot of people discuss in this forum you're allowed to carb up. I don't know how anyone who exercises regularly & strenuously can stick to the Atkins diet.

Originally posted by Hibiscus09
    I tried Atkins for 9 days one time & thought I was going to die. I was so dizzy & out of it feeling by the 9th day I decided it wasn't for me. At least on the Keto diet that a lot of people discuss in this forum you're allowed to carb up. I don't know how anyone who exercises regularly & strenuously can stick to the Atkins diet.
    whatever floats our boats

each to their own i say, we're all individuals and what works for one may not work for the other.

cheers

- my brother

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Wink

True, Pammii. I just commented because he said he was having headaches & a foggy feeling. This diet just made me feel sick. I'm glad it works for you, though.

Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anxed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    True, Pammii. I just commented because he said he was having headaches & a foggy feeling. This diet just made me feel sick. I'm glad it works for you, though.
    yeah, this style of dieting is one that *I* prefer, but I would never recommend it to just anyone... my girlfriend inquired about my diet, and I told her that I think she should stick with her 40:40:20.... but explained why... she agreed.. hehe... shes "gotta
    have them carbs" x20
    Anxed

Pull another face
    rip another hide
    steal the waning moon
    from a dying bride
    all the world must die
    all the world must die
    ripped and skinned alive...

Me, too, Anxed. I stick to Oatmeal, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, veggies & the like, but I go from very sweet to very not so sweet when I go low carb. I enjoy running for cardio, also, so the low carb thing just doesn't swing it for me.

I'm impressed with people who can do it. My body definitely revolts.

Me, too, Anxed. I stick to Oatmeal, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, veggies & the like, but I go from very sweet to very not so sweet when I go low carb. I enjoy running for cardio, also, so the low carb thing just doesn't swing it for me.

I'm impressed with people who can do it. My body definitely revolts.
    my body revolts carbs, should see me i end up looking like a puffa fish and get all foggy like im some heavy meds.....waitasec.....i am on heavy meds. well ****.

nah carbs make me feel horrid, my family (besides mum) can't do it either. they need their carbs. they think im crazeeeee!

cheers

- my brother

Okay - day 7 of Atkins induction and I feel fantastic. Headache is gone. Dizziness is gone. I have tons of energy and I have dropped 3 pounds. My appetite has decreased. There are Krispy Kreme donuts beside my desk for the picking and I triumphantly stare them down. Now THAT'S discipline! In fatc, my only cheat has been two beers last Friday night, and the occasional decaf latte (but only on days where I forego the salad.)

Pammii mentioned that higher fat foods are not recommended on this diet, though Atkins clearly explains that there SHOULD be higher fat. and that fat is what burns the fat! He says to be totally unshocked and unreserved in fat consumption. I meanm the guy says to pig out on pork rinds and bacon.......

Anyway, I look in the mirror now and I see a slight difference. I'm thinner, biut it seems like my muscles are disappearing. Is it my imagination? I don't mind, because I can always build htem up again once I'm at my desired weight, but still....kinda freaky. How do yo ukow what you're losing? Fat or muscle? Or water?

Okay - day 7 of Atkins induction and I feel fantastic. Headache is gone. Dizziness is gone. I have tons of energy and I have dropped 3 pounds. My appetite has decreased. There are Krispy Kreme donuts beside my desk for the picking and I triumphantly stare them down. Now THAT'S discipline! In fatc, my only cheat has been two beers last Friday night, and the occasional decaf latte (but only on days where I forego the salad.)

Pammii mentioned that higher fat foods are not recommended on this diet, though Atkins clearly explains that there SHOULD be higher fat. and that fat is what burns the fat! He says to be totally unshocked and unreserved in fat consumption. I meanm the guy says to pig out on pork rinds and bacon.......

Anyway, I look in the mirror now and I see a slight difference. I'm thinner, biut it seems like my muscles are disappearing. Is it my imagination? I don't mind, because I can always build htem up again once I'm at my desired weight, but still....kinda freaky. How do yo ukow what you're losing? Fat or muscle? Or water?
    i didn't say they are not recommended i just said that may be what is stopping you from losing the weight as it has for others. your body reacts to fat the same way it does to water, the more you have the more you shed in theory because its not starved for it. but when youre in ketosis your body is already burning fats ie. dark purple, but if you have too much fat then it will burn the fat youve eaten straight away for fuel rather than on the body (in excess of what your body needs) does that make sense?

so i still have my bacon and mince etc, but theyve got a higher fat count already without the excess fat thats on them. so i drain etc and im still getting my fats i need so my body wont hold onto it. well i know what i mean lol.

and also pork rinds etc will have quite a low fat count, because the fat is actually all renderred off while in the cooking process, like beef jerky and all that, all thats left is the residue. unless theyre cooked in a vat of fat lol i make them myself in the oven.

glad to see youre doing so well now, got it all out of your system. and as far as muscle depletion, are you making sure youre getting all your vits and supps in aswell? do another 7 days without cheating at all not even the beer, ok maybe one and you will see even more of a difference.

proud of you for not giving up on it after the next week you can probably go onto your low fat and wont be tempted by the carbs as much, but then again some people get carbs in their system again and its all on again lol

- my brother

Thanks Pammii. I'm proud of myself for not cheating too. It'snot as hard when you have the goal of looking your best within a specific time frame. If Ididn't have a deadline of the 18th in which to impress the **** out of someone who means a lot to me, then I doubt I would have the discipline needed to follow this through! I'm a vain motherfu_ker dontcha know?

Thanks Pammii. I'm proud of myself for not cheating too. It'snot as hard when you have the goal of looking your best within a specific time frame. If Ididn't have a deadline of the 18th in which to impress the **** out of someone who means a lot to me, then I doubt I would have the discipline needed to follow this through! I'm a vain motherfu_ker dontcha know?
    well good luck to you, and yeah kinda got the feeling you were

- my brother

How so?

I htink it's good to be a little vain because then one never lets themselves get to the point of not caring. Weight is a huge issue (no pun intended), especially in America. My aunt has been obese for as long as I can remember. She buys book afte book, fad after fad (it's actually from her I learned about Atkins), but never has the discipline to carry through. I think onnce people reach a certain stage, they just give up. Or the results of their efforts in fixing the problem are so slow and miniscule that they just can't equal the effort with the discipline. It's harder not to cheat for a longer period of time. Vanity is what saves me from this fate. Perhaps genetics too, but mostly vanity.

How so?

I htink it's good to be a little vain because then one never lets themselves get to the point of not caring. Weight is a huge issue (no pun intended), especially in America. My aunt has been obese for as long as I can remember. She buys book afte book, fad after fad (it's actually from her I learned about Atkins), but never has the discipline to carry through. I think onnce people reach a certain stage, they just give up. Or the results of their efforts in fixing the problem are so slow and miniscule that they just can't equal the effort with the discipline. It's harder not to cheat for a longer period of time. Vanity is what saves me from this fate. Perhaps genetics too, but mostly vanity.
    how so? cause you keep mentioning it lol

but vanity can go too far, its good to care about ones health, but external vanity is a bit materialistic dont you think?
    i mean you seemed to be almost perfect weight etc for your height and frame. like i said in another post it can go too far in the opposite fashion to being obese. but i agree on your point about some people who get to a certain stage and want to give up. it makes me sad.

- my brother

Genetically Gifted Big Daddy Shane's Avatar
    Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000)
    I couldn't think of anything less healthy (naturally, at least)than a long term keto diet.
    Forum member since 2002

I rep back 1k plus