Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Getting huge traps...

Okay, everybody always says to "go heavy on shrugs" but I see guys at the gym that "go heavy" and the stupid suckers aren't even able to move the weight. They just strain against it and think they look tough with 315 on the hex bar. Does go heavy really mean put enough weight on that you can't move the bar? I do shrugs with enough weight that I can't do more than ten, but with a weight I can shrug all the way up to my ears. Which is better? I'm so confused...
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

jrshortall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Be smart about your weights on shrugs. Those idiots take that saying literally. I would increase your weight and shoot for between 6-8 reps on shrugs.

Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I say go for about 12-15 reps in shrugs, it works for me. Also try some behind the back shrugs and deadlifts they work well.
    Yup, I'm bigger than you.

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Will doing shrugs work the full Trapezius muscle? Or do the lower fibres need a different exercise to get worked?

Are shrugs all you need to get full massive Traps?
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheFutureOak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Excellent question. The Traps form a diamond like muscle from your neck down through the center of the back. Shrugs work the upper area that goes around your neck. By heavy on shrugs people mean a challenging weight that you most likely will fail somewhere between 5-12 reps. Full ROM and proper form is always superior to cheating your ass off and barely moving the weight. Also so you know the lower area of the traps is worked in exercises like rows, deadlifts, cleans, etc. So shrugs aren't all you need but they are a solid exercise which along with some of the exercises listed about and some presses will build up solid traps. Hope i helped.
    "We slept in trenches under the tanks until we were awakened each morning at six. But I had another idea—my buddy and I would get up at five, open the tool compartment of the tanks where we stored our barbells, and exercise for an hour before everyone else woke up. After we finished maneuvers for the day, we would train for another hour. Finding the time for your workouts is simply a matter of motivation plus imagination."

"Normal people can be happy with a regular life. I was different. I felt that there was more to life than just plodding through an average existence.... I had it tougher than a lot of my companions because I wanted more, I demanded more. I was hungrier for success than anyone I knew."

"I lived by the training program. I was always master of writing out the programs. I knew that as soon as I put it down, the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint myself. I knew that I had to look in the mirror every day, and I could not look in the mirror and say, 'You know something? You're a ****ing loser. You cannot do the kind of sets and exercises that you write down.' I didn't want to face that."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mc1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do lots of heavy deadlifting, making sure to lock out each lift with shoulders back, and you will have nice traps. For the shrug, people who load lots of weight on the bar, only to move it by standing on their toes, don't know what their doing. Heavy to me means 4-6 reps with full ROM and good form. If I am not deadlifting, I will work some days heavy and other days light at 10-15 reps. If I deadlift, no shrugs needed. I also much prefer dumbell shrugs to barbell because I get a better range of motion.
    But soon enough, you will find most gyms don't have dumbells that are heavy enough for 4-6 rep sets.

GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettnHuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AND ESPECIALLY DO NOT DO THOSE SHRUGS WHERE THE
    DUDES SHRUG UP THEN MOVE THEIR SHOULDERS AROUND.
    man thats gotta be hard on the joints while not
    giving you any benefits!

ex_banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    upright deads and bb/db rows will help work your lower traps

BigTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Superset..

Im not a huge fan of running between two or three exercises, but I can fry my traps quick with ....

Close grip EZ curl bar upright rows, followed by mod heavy DB shrugs, followed by, smith machine behind the back shrugs...

Just doing one exercise heavy always made me feel sloppy with form, but never really feeling the burn in the targeted muscle..

This super set, a little lighter, but say with 6-8 reps for each movement will have your traps screaming...

Big Time out!!!
    Bigtime@cyber-rights.net

PSUPOWER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try this for the traps, if your short on time, simple, BASIC but great..

Try supersetting Power/Hang-Cleans with Barbell Shrugs, 8-12 reps per set, go slow and trust me, this will CRUSH your traps..

jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jweave23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Superset..

Originally posted by BigTime
    Im not a huge fan of running between two or three exercises, but I can fry my traps quick with ....

Close grip EZ curl bar upright rows, followed by mod heavy DB shrugs, followed by, smith machine behind the back shrugs...

Just doing one exercise heavy always made me feel sloppy with form, but never really feeling the burn in the targeted muscle..

This super set, a little lighter, but say with 6-8 reps for each movement will have your traps screaming...

Big Time out!!!
    Thats exactly what I do and I blast the h*ll out of my traps! I continue to gain with that routine, I guess you should switch it up every once in a while though. I've noticed too that 6-8 full ROM reps really nails them, esp with 3 exercises.