Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Tried benching properly for the first time today

And wasn't a big fan of it... The 2 main things i was working on were squeezing my shoulder blades together and tucking my elbows in near my sides.
    I found it a bit difficult to keep my shoulder blades squeezed together but when i did i definately felt it hitting the chest more which was good.
    As for keeping my elbows tucked in near my sides... I hated it with a passion! It felt extremely un-natural and awkward and i felt really cramped while benching. It also seemed to make my wrists go into a different position which i didn't like.
    Anyone else find this to be the case?
    Any coments/suggestions?

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    like you, I just started benching correctly for the first time on monday with the back retracted, back arched and squeezing the bar like I'm trying to bend it. I had great results. I finally broke through my plateu. I think squeezing your back together made the greatest difference. I felt stabalized and the weight just flew up in the air. I also tried keeping my legs elevated rather than drilling them into the ground. Saw another (massive) lifter in there doing it and he said it helps to isolate the chest rather than distributing the weight throughout your body. If you can't lift it with your chest alone, then you're not really lifting the weight you think you are, makes sense. I also have the most post-workout muscle sorness in my chest than I've ever had.

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It sounds like too much to concentrate on.

residue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lowkey122
    I also tried keeping my legs elevated rather than drilling them into the ground. Saw another (massive) lifter in there doing it and he said it helps to isolate the chest rather than distributing the weight throughout your body. If you can't lift it with your chest alone, then you're not really lifting the weight you think you are, makes sense. I also have the most post-workout muscle sorness in my chest than I've ever had.
    I thought the point of the bench press was to incorporate a lot of muscles into the lift, you know a compound lift, thus releasing more growth hormone and testosterone, why would one want to isolate their chest?

Fearing The Reaper BackToBasics's Avatar
    BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50) BackToBasics will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I injured by RC a few weeks ago performing inclines. I had been on an extended period of using low reps at the time, which undoubtedly didn't help matters. Up until this point, I had always benched with flared out elbows (I have been lifting since my early teens with no problems and am now 29), but for some reason, recently I thought it would be a good idea to start lowering the barbell to my clavicle line rather than my nipple line - bad idea!

After resting for a week or so, I decided that I really had to pay attention to my benching/incline techniques, and thusly adopted the correct form. I agree with you that it is extremely awkward at first, but my lifts were not hurt by it at all - it just takes some getting used to.

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by residue
    I thought the point of the bench press was to incorporate a lot of muscles into the lift, you know a compound lift, thus releasing more growth hormone and testosterone, why would one want to isolate their chest?
    It still incorporates tris and what not (there's no way around it), just helps to keep the weight focused on THOSE muscles. Rather than distributing the weight out of the legs which doesn't help gains or test, just makes it look like you're lifting more than you really are.

Kind of like sitting down and keeping your back against something when you DB curl for biceps as opposed to standing up and using your back and momentum and leaning backwards to assist the curl. Get it?

It still incorporates tris and what not (there's no way around it), just helps to keep the weight focused on THOSE muscles. Rather than distributing the weight out of the legs which doesn't help gains or test, just makes it look like you're lifting more than you really are.
    Wait, so you'll use less weight and "isolate your chess" as opposed to using more weight and "use your legs" and think it's better? Far be it from me to tell you what works for you but that makes no sense.

Kind of like sitting down and keeping your back against something when you DB curl for biceps as opposed to standing up and using your back and momentum and leaning backwards to assist the curl. Get it?
    No I dont, why not just stand up and don't lean or swing?

Wait, so you'll use less weight and "isolate your chess" as opposed to using more weight and "use your legs" and think it's better? Far be it from me to tell you what works for you but that makes no sense.
    Correct, it makes no sense, to you. But it does make sense and I'm not sure how else to explain it. I'm far from a pro at this but it makes perfectly good sense to me. When you're bench pressing, you're pressing with your chest and arms, not legs. You're not even working out your legs during a bench press so by incorporating them into the bench press, you're not working them out, you're just dissappating some of the weight through your body rather than lifting it entirely with your arms and chest.

Lifting with big weight and not isolating to me seems just like lifting for your ego, not gains. But whatever works for you, push the bar up with your arms and legs if it helps you get that 400.

No I dont, why not just stand up and don't lean or swing?
    You can do that too. Some people clearly can't tho. Sitting down just helps prevents you from cheating. If you aren't prone to cheat then great. Watch most people when they stand and curl and they damn near throw their back out which basically eliminates stress from the bicep and wastes a great deal of time and energy.

TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10) TBernard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't wait to try out the "proper" bench technique described on the main page article. I will have to wait until tomorrow for my next chest work out. Hopefully this will put me over my plautue.

I guess I will have to throw in some more sets of delts to make up for the new form taking out alot of delt work? It is well worth it, if I can develop my chest more and get past this sticking point.

What does everyone else think of it so far?

Hot-Body Contest Champ InUrrDreams19's Avatar
    InUrrDreams19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What ever happened to planting your feet and beasting the weight. I'm not sure how much "Squeezing" I do but I rep 285 and I'm a firm believer in not taking your feet off the ground. The extra 2% of isolation is not worth the imbalance.
    6'1 185/188 lbs.
    8% Body Fat

BB Bench: 335x1
    17.5' Arms
    Police academy 11 months away and counting!

MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ive always just pushed the weight without thinking about it, if this way is supposed to be safer/better I would like to try it though. Does it apply to dumbells as well? If so then how?

Originally Posted by InUrrDreams19
    What ever happened to planting your feet and beasting the weight. I'm not sure how much "Squeezing" I do but I rep 285 and I'm a firm believer in not taking your feet off the ground. The extra 2% of isolation is not worth the imbalance.
    amen brotha!

Correct, it makes no sense, to you. But it does make sense and I'm not sure how else to explain it. I'm far from a pro at this but it makes perfectly good sense to me. When you're bench pressing, you're pressing with your chest and arms, not legs. You're not even working out your legs during a bench press so by incorporating them into the bench press, you're not working them out, you're just dissappating some of the weight through your body rather than lifting it entirely with your arms and chest.

Lifting with big weight and not isolating to me seems just like lifting for your ego, not gains. But whatever works for you, push the bar up with your arms and legs if it helps you get that 400.
    I’ve always thought you pressed with your body(legs, back, shoulders, arms, abs) not just your arms and chest, making the exercises compound. What’s' the point of benching if you're taking out the compound aspect, you might as well be doing hammer presses if you want isolation.

Tell me something when you you feel more exaused, I’m not talking about burn, with your legs in the air pressing lighter weight or on the ground pressing heavier weights?

tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The idea of a compound movement is not to use the whole body.Thats just a not very smart idea.Do you use your legs in a chin up?So why on earth would you try to push the bar in a bench press using your legs???A compound excercise is using multiple muscles/joints, not all of them.I always keep my feet on the floor so i don't injure myself and others arond me.Which will owrk the chest more, having my elbows in or having my elbows out?Or won't it make much difference,just remove stress from my shoulder?
    Why does **** have HIT in it?
    FINALLY LIFTING AGAIN!!!PROPERLY!!!LETS ADD SOME BEEF!!

I’ve always thought you pressed with your body(legs, back, shoulders, arms, abs) not just your arms and chest, making the exercises compound. What’s' the point of benching if you're taking out the compound aspect, you might as well be doing hammer presses if you want isolation. ?
    I always thought a compound exercise was when you actually WORKED the muscle, wether it be primary or secondary. Bench press just employs your legs for balance. Benching is compound working chest,tris,delts and lats if I'm not mistaken. Can we get a professional opinion on this?

Tell me something when you you feel more exaused, I’m not talking about burn, with your legs in the air pressing lighter weight or on the ground pressing heavier weights?
    Actually, with legs off the ground and back retracted I pressed MORE weight. Not less. I felt like the workout was a thousand times more efficient. So I would have to say I was more exhausted with legs off the ground and back retracted.

Look, for me, I'm all about getting the best gains. I'm not as concerned with the amount of weight on the bar cuz that doesn't really mean jack. You can be big and not lift a lot and be small and lift big. Concerning yourself with lifting the greatest amount of weight possible is really a superficial way to analyze bbing. My main concern when I'm in the gym is practicing proper form and paying close attention to the way the body responds to what I just dished out. If it doesn't work, I change something. If it works, I stick with it. The reason I tried this out was cuz I plateaud on bench and noticed a rather massive guy lifting this way. Hey, when you see big guys at the gym, it's good to listen up and pay attention to their form. On that same note, not everyone lifts their legs or retracts their back or drives their legs into the ground or grunts like an animal when they lift. Reason? everyone is different and everyone's workout is different. Best of luck to those who don't lift legs. Whatever works for you buddy.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    obviously the first time you do it you arn't goign to nail it perfectly. also, when trying these new techniques, you have to drop a lot of weight initially because it's different.
    <->

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dparm99
    And wasn't a big fan of it... The 2 main things i was working on were squeezing my shoulder blades together and tucking my elbows in near my sides.
    I found it a bit difficult to keep my shoulder blades squeezed together but when i did i definately felt it hitting the chest more which was good.
    As for keeping my elbows tucked in near my sides... I hated it with a passion! It felt extremely un-natural and awkward and i felt really cramped while benching. It also seemed to make my wrists go into a different position which i didn't like.
    Anyone else find this to be the case?
    Any coments/suggestions?
    Congrats on finding a good form that works your pecs. Your chest will grow more, and your max weight will go up with the better form.

Forget about trying to force you elbows right at the sides. If you have to force them there, then it isn't natural. Your elbows will naturally find a place maybe ~20deg out from your sides (at least on me). You are not trying to stick them out far or force them in super close. They just sort of go there, and you will find that it feels very stable there. Play with it and find the form that works for you. Don't worry about anyone that cries that the 'sky is falling' and your RCs will fall off because your arms aren't completely glued to your sides. Glueing to the sides is not necessary.
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PcH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why the hell are you trying to keep your elbows close to your sides while benching?

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    same thing i was thinking ^^

htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) htownsb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the reason u keep ur feet on the ground is to stabilize urself. If you keep a little arch in ur back and try to use proper form while keeeping ur legs up. Your going to be prone to injury. Look it up anywhere. There's a reason for having ur legs on the ground. You won't see powerlifters who use proper form keep their legs on the bench.

mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I read an article a while ago decribing the "correct" way to bench. It was saying how it was safer etc. It was the same thing; keep elbows tucked in and use a closer grip. So, off I go to the gym to try this method. It sucked, and for about a week after I had horrid shooting pains in my shoulders when I moved them a certain way. An example would be: driving and reaching to the radio to turn the volume up/down, that turning motion would cause these pains.

Reading the article again, I noticed something I missed; bringing the bar to your solarplexes (sp?) rather than your nipples or slightly above, as I had always done. So really this article was describing (IMO) Close Grip benching..WTF

Anyway, now I flat bench with the most comfortable position I can (like a few ppl have allready said forcing yourself to keep elbows in or whatever is bad). The most important thing, I reckon , is make sure that your wrists and elbows are under/in line with the bar all the time, and not to bring the bar down too high-like to your clavicles (when flat benching anyway), I know some ppl can do that with no trouble, but it doesn't work for me. I bring the bar to just above nipple height. My elbows point to the floor, having them pointing out to the walls is bad form.

if u r doing a movement that feels really un-natural, with heavy weight, stop doing. Even if someone on bbing.com told u that's the right way to do it, stop doing it. get someone to show how do it properly in person or something. I'm done

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PcH
    Why the hell are you trying to keep your elbows close to your sides while benching?
    1 - To prevent damage to the rotator cuff.
    2 - More power comes from the triceps when keeping the elbows in, thus you can use more weight.

CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don't see how you are using your legs to bench when you are laying down. There's no way they would help in pressing weight forward.
    Don't be an economic girly man.

5'8" - 225lbs - Bulking Big-Golden's Avatar
    Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big-Golden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jotun
    2 - More power comes from the triceps when keeping the elbows in, thus you can use more weight.
    Elbows in also used the upper pecs more.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000) U R Bunk is just really nice. (+1000)
    How do you keep your shoulder blades squeezed together during a bench press? It seems like they would become separated right when you start pushing up.
    "Your doom awaits you!" - Hatebreed

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by U R Bunk
    How do you keep your shoulder blades squeezed together during a bench press? It seems like they would become separated right when you start pushing up.

They only separate if you start bringing your shoulders forward - and you will be using more delts again.
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jotun
    1 - To prevent damage to the rotator cuff.
    yep yep

Originally Posted by U R Bunk
    the point is that, before layingon the bench, bring your shoulder blades together, then lay back, grab the bar and go...don't release the tension.
    <->

Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your feet are kept on the ground for a few reasons. I know there are more but I can't think of them.

1. Stabilizing the body from rocking side to side if you accidently overpower one side of the press.

2. Driving your shoulders/upper back into the bench.

There is no chest isolation whether you lift with your feet on the the pegs 6 inches off the ground or in mid air as if your doing a leg raise. It may seem like its working you harder but all you are doing is removing a stabilizer and putting your back in a very very piss poor position. If you want to work harder try 1 arm DB bench presses without using your other arm to cup the bench for stability.

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does anyone have a link to this article? I'd like to read it.

Originally Posted by Meta
    Your feet are kept on the ground for a few reasons. I know there are more but I can't think of them.

1. Stabilizing the body from rocking side to side if you accidently overpower one side of the press.

2. Driving your shoulders/upper back into the bench.

There is no chest isolation whether you lift with your feet on the the pegs 6 inches off the ground or in mid air as if your doing a leg raise. It may seem like its working you harder but all you are doing is removing a stabilizer and putting your back in a very very piss poor position. If you want to work harder try 1 arm DB bench presses without using your other arm to cup the bench for stability.
    yep.
    <->