85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very important

70 82.35%
  • Not Important

9 10.59%
  • No Clue

6 7.06%
Closed Thread
    KevoBobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Full Range of Motion

How many of you think taht full range of motion is very important. After watching Ronnie Coleman: The Unbeleiveable i have to ask is full range of motion necessary
    20 and recovering after a bad motorcycle accident.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends what exercise you're talking about. More important for some, less important for others.

Too many variables to say just one answer for every exercise out there, not to mention the varying levels of intensity, all of which have their place.

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    if you are training for sports or martial arts, then a full ROM is very important. there are many other benefits of using a full ROM, i.e. functional strength development, better flexibility, less injuries etc.
    if you use a small ROM all the time, it will be very awkward, and you may result in injury when using a full ROM because of poor flexibility. there are a few exceptions to this, but for most exercises you should use a full ROM.

the only benefit i can think of when using a small ROM(Ronnie Colman-Unbelievable) is that your muscle experience constant tension, e.g. bench and shoulder press, a small ROM(without lifting all the way up, no elbow locking) will put constant tension on your chest or shoulder and will involve less triceps. also, if you have certain injuries, then a full ROM may not be a good idea until you fully recover.
    -Mortality-

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i think different parts of a motion affect different muscles, like a benchpress first part is chest, second part is tri's. a pullup first part is back, second part is bi's.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by forklift
    i think different parts of a motion affect different muscles, like a benchpress first part is chest, second part is tri's. a pullup first part is back, second part is bi's.
    The bench press is first lats, then chest, then shoulders, and then tris.

For bodybuilding it may not be the most important thing in the world, but for all other types of training it is.

El Dudereno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by imageek
    the only benefit i can think of when using a small ROM(Ronnie Colman-Unbelievable) is that your muscle experience constant tension, e.g. bench and shoulder press, a small ROM(without lifting all the way up, no elbow locking) will put constant tension on your chest or shoulder and will involve less triceps. also, if you have certain injuries, then a full ROM may not be a good idea until you fully recover.
    I agree - TUT is greater with some movements when the ROM is reduced. As in all things, suck it and see!
    El Dudereno he say: "Make every day an anabolic day."

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Depends what exercise you're talking about. More important for some, less important for others.

Too many variables to say just one answer for every exercise out there, not to mention the varying levels of intensity, all of which have their place.
    yea, but for a regular trainer, esp. one who'se only 17 and should be getting form and whatnot down, very important.

are you Ronnie - no - don't mimic Ronnie then.

KevoBobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I never said i follow him. It was just a question that was brought to my mind when seeing that i began to wonder exacly how important it is, one of the best using such a small range of motion yet being so big made just simply question it.
    20 and recovering after a bad motorcycle accident.

_teddy_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    full range of motion is important. first of all, doing a full range of motion makes you stronger and also completes muscle groups to look natural and proportional. if its the workouts that recruit different muscles at different stages, tHen isolated low range of motion to prep up the specific muscle group may be used if desired for body building nd hwat not.

for example, when training the traps such as doing shrugs, or side lateral raises, etc, it is so improtant to do full range of motion or else the traps will develop un proportionally and look like ****.. the traps should be straight, and up to the neck. Ive seen people with ****ty looking traps that are round lookin because they dun have full range of motion and only tense the lower portion of it, making it look extremely unnatural

Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100)

range of motion

If tyou want to tear more muscle fiber witch leds to more muscle mass then do full range of motion if you want less muscle do half reps and be a goone unless your breaking a platue or powertraining!!!
    Kevin
    My Stats:
    5"9 160.5lb's 22 years old, training for 2 years
    I use a Full range of motion on all workouts none of those half reps.
    Squat- 280lb's 2 reps
    Bench Press-185lb's 5 reps
    Deadlift- 405lb's 3 reps
    Barbell shoulder press- 135-7 reps
    Dumbell shoulder press- 70's-5 reps

waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well hit there,
    Ronnie Coleman is a genetic freak, whatever way he decided to train, from day one, he would have put on mass, please do not beleve the mags, or even his own videos, avreage Joe just will not get big training like he does, never in a million years. But you are right I have watched a lot of the top bodybuilders videos, lots do not do what is best for them, they are so lucky, they grow, said I said before whatever they do, thay all have very very very easy workouts, which avrage Joe cant grow on well not much.

Yes you need full range exersice, full range exersice works the full range of the muscle, all of the muscle, all the mass

Thank you Wayne

PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PsYoP78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ROM is like everything else...periodization. Some shallow moves can be good at times.
    ============================
    ----I wanna be SUPER HERO BIG!----
    ============================

BODYBUILDING'S TOP FIVE FACTORS IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE

1) Attitude - Think big to become big.
    2) Nutrition - You can't build anything without raw materials.
    3) Routine - Work hard, but smart.
    4) Recovery - Muscles grow in bed, not in the gym.
    5) Supplementation - Icing on the cake.

XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XBrock LesnarX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry why

why the **** would u do half reps eny way .. they make no sence .. people do they to workout there EGO.. thats it they are just goone's
    SteVeN█♣█
    6"2
    Every one wants to be a bodyBuilder but dont dont wanna lift no heavy ass weight..

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Depends what exercise you're talking about.
    Agreed.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    stop watching Ronnie.
    <->

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by forklift
    i think different parts of a motion affect different muscles, like a benchpress first part is chest, second part is tri's.
    um, no, if anything it'd be the reverse of that. and triceps are worked throughout.
    <->

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im confused, on a graph posted a lil while back breaking down muscle use for the flat barbell bench it was indeed if I remember rightly chest for th initial lift then tri's mainly doing the second phase i.e. floor pressing ROM. Delts were all the way through.

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KevoBobo
    How many of you think taht full range of motion is very important. After watching Ronnie Coleman: The Unbeleiveable i have to ask is full range of motion necessary
    Coleman has great genetics and access to whatever equipment and drugs he needs. It doesn't mean you should take everything he does as gospel. Use the full range of motion. If you use partial ROM, where does it end? You may start by just not locking out all the way, and by the end of the year you'll be moving the bar 3 inches and calling it a rep. Full ROM is better.

The only exercise I don't really do the biggest ROM I can on is lateral raises. I just raise it until my arm is perpendicular to my body, never tried raising it to the full extent of my shoulder ROM.
    Last edited by Stagger; 11-07-2004 at 07:14 PM.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    full ROM always, thats how i train at least and how i understand it to be correct.
    Its funny some of u dont care much for it yet u will insist on doing ATG squats.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't consider it important at all. I use a partial range of motion for dozens of exercises.

Aetolos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For those of you who don't see a full ROM important for all exercises, why and what exercises?
    2005 PIAA Track & Field State Championships - Lane 4, here I come.

Go Eagles!

Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinjd_2004 is not very well liked. (-100)

rom

If anybody uses half reps they will never make it anywheres because they wont build theer body to completly as they would if they did full ramge of motion,

half ass reps make half ass phyziques!!
    Kevin
    My Stats:
    5"9 160.5lb's 22 years old, training for 2 years
    I use a Full range of motion on all workouts none of those half reps.
    Squat- 280lb's 2 reps
    Bench Press-185lb's 5 reps
    Deadlift- 405lb's 3 reps
    Barbell shoulder press- 135-7 reps
    Dumbell shoulder press- 70's-5 reps

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kevinjd_2004
    If anybody uses half reps they will never make it anywheres because they wont build theer body to completly as they would if they did full ramge of motion,

half ass reps make half ass phyziques!!
    Um, no. I use partial reps all the time and my physique is far from half ass. It depends on the exercise but partial reps for some exercises like the bench press, laterals, chinups etc. are very beneficial.

Eh Delts bro,
    talking of partial chins, you know those behind neck chins, where by do you actually stop, is it when the top half of your arms (bi's, tri's) are horizontal?
    Regarding partials, rack pulls are just partial deadlifts and I've benefited greatly from these and I've heard good things about rack-lockouts which are just partial bench presses.

Originally Posted by GGHT
    Eh Delts bro,
    talking of partial chins, you know those behind neck chins, where by do you actually stop, is it when the top half of your arms (bi's, tri's) are horizontal?
    Regarding partials, rack pulls are just partial deadlifts and I've benefited greatly from these and I've heard good things about rack-lockouts which are just partial bench presses.
    Exactly, you have had success with partial rep movements too. That is exactly what I am talking about. And for the behind the neck pullups, yeah I stop at the point where my bi's, tri's and shoulders are horizontal.

Bodymachinery is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Full range of motion is for serious lifters . That partial garbage is for people who want to say they can lift alot when they can't. It's common sense. Sumo deadlifts are a joke too. Atg squats conventional dead lift and benchpress the whole way down , you don't need to lock out.

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Bodymachinery View Post
    Full range of motion is for serious lifters . That partial garbage is for people who want to say they can lift alot when they can't. It's common sense. Sumo deadlifts are a joke too. Atg squats conventional dead lift and benchpress the whole way down , you don't need to lock out.
    This thread is from 2004. How did you even resurrect this nonsense?
    -