dlqx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are protein powders bad for your kidneys/liver?

Hello. I decided to join this forum because there seems to be quite a lot of knowlegable people around. Learnt a lot from some of the posts here.

Anyway, I've recently started bodybuilding and I'm currently using Optimum 100% Whey protein to go along with it. I've heard from some people that taking concentrated protein powders can cause damage to your liver or kidneys in the long run. How true is this? And how much is too much? Thanks in advance.

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think the big concern is with large quantities of protein. Many argue that consuming great amounts of protein is hard on the kidneys. If this is indeed the case it doenst mean protein powders are harmful, but excess protein in general.
    Disregard Taco Bell, Acquire Filiberto's.

Originally posted by JustBrowsin
    I think the big concern is with large quantities of protein. Many argue that consuming great amounts of protein is hard on the kidneys. If this is indeed the case it doenst mean protein powders are harmful, but excess protein in general.
    So how much would you consider excess protein?

XxRaYxX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read be4 somewhere that taking too much protein will "harden" your liver but the amounts we consumed shouldnt be a problem..its not as if u take 500g of protein/day when u are only required to take 1.5g/kg of your weight rite? It would be very taxing for your organs to process those excess proteins.

i would suggest u taking ALA or R-ALA coz its a good anti-oxidant, to protect ur livers and yep..its good for cutting too. Theres many other uses to ALA thou. I heard milk thistle is good too..hope it helps u!

Originally posted by XxRaYxX
    I've read be4 somewhere that taking too much protein will "harden" your liver but the amounts we consumed shouldnt be a problem..its not as if u take 500g of protein/day when u are only required to take 1.5g/kg of your weight rite? It would be very taxing for your organs to process those excess proteins.

i would suggest u taking ALA or R-ALA coz its a good anti-oxidant, to protect ur livers and yep..its good for cutting too. Theres many other uses to ALA thou. I heard milk thistle is good too..hope it helps u!
    I usually take 100% whey protein 3 - 4 times a day: Breakfast, after workout, between lunch and dinner, before bedtime (although I'm looking to switch to cassein for that one). So that shouldn't present a problem, right?

Also, can you recommend me some specific brands and products for the anti oxidants? thanks!

Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spud will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by dlqx
    I usually take 100% whey protein 3 - 4 times a day: Breakfast, after workout, between lunch and dinner, before bedtime (although I'm looking to switch to cassein for that one). So that shouldn't present a problem, right?

Also, can you recommend me some specific brands and products for the anti oxidants? thanks!
    b u l knutrition
    *Old Skool Misc Crew*

XxRaYxX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes as mentioned..i personally used 1 ******* . com ALA they are pretty effective and service is fast and prompt.

ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ham2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for individuals who have no past history of liver/kidney impairment/disease, the danger just does not exist.
    Why?
    Even if you get 3 grams protein per kilo bodyweight, there are rules:
    1 people above 10% bodyfat should only compute lean bodymass. Ex A weighs 125kg at 15% bodyfat, his target is 106 X 3= 318 grams a day. Once you deduct whatever you may get from raw food, you drop at about 250-260 grams.
    Say B weighs 80kg at 20% bodyfat, his target is 64 X 3= 192 grams.
    Etc.

New research suggest cycling protein might be ok.
    Hence say on sunday you decide you're going to get no powdered protein.
    For recreational purposes only. My understanding & private opinion. Please refrain from flames & witticism as i won't respond to them. Not an expert, not a guru, not a 55' biceps, know-it-all, outspoken WWW cartoon: i live beyond my PC being logged on.