NotOnSteroids has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long before you lose muscle?

How long can you take off from working out before you actually start to lose muscle? And in a similar question, how long before you lose strength? I am talking about an actual break, as in no cardio, no weights, regular eating.
    Don't you love watching the little gym nerds over there lollygagging on a worthless machine knowing that they will never be buff.

Don't think of it as lifting weight, think of it as posing and you just happen to have a weight in your hand.

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that's a very difficult question to answer, since it's dependent upon so many factors. if diet remains consistent at/or above maintenance levels, then it could take many weeks to lose a noticeable amount of muscle. a better way to go about this would be to tell us how long of a break you're planning on or need to take, and we'll let you know what we think then...
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

I'm not really planning on taking a break, I just haven't had a chance to workout for a couple weeks. As a result, these questions came to mind. I'm not worried about losing muscle in the short amount of time I haven't worked out, I was just curious.
    Don't you love watching the little gym nerds over there lollygagging on a worthless machine knowing that they will never be buff.

Don't think of it as lifting weight, think of it as posing and you just happen to have a weight in your hand.

AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not clearly set how long it will take to lose muscle when you're on a break but if diet is kept good then you don't have to really worry about losing any mass at all. Strength, for most people, is a different matter since i find that we lose strength more easily than we do in mass. Just my observation.
    "Knowing is not enough, one must apply" ~ Bruce Lee

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    well when u going to start again adn hows the diet been in the time off...

I'd like to start back next week at the latest. I actually haven't had much of an appetite lately so I'm not eating quite as much as I was a couple weeks ago. I have just felt so tired lately and have had a lack of motivation to work out.

Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very hard to say, depends on diet, and the individual.

I had 4 weeks holiday and only put on 1 kg, however, all I did for the 4 weeks was drink beer, fish and laze around in the sun. My diet was **** eating what ever when I felt like it.

Prior to going on holidays I dropped about 10kgs in 13 weeks cardio 4-5 times a week and lifting 4-5 times per week.

So in come down to the individual.

Also since resuming my routine, it only took 1 week to get back to weight I was prior to leaving and I am also lifting more than before. So for myself I think it has helped having a break and will allow me to continue on stronger than before.

Cheers

Zam

HoldDaMayo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in my opinion a 2 week break every six months to a year is good for body and mind...
    Must... Get.... Bigger......

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Between 30 - 80 years, human beings normally lose 30 - 40% of limb and trunk skeletal muscle and an even greater % of their strength and power. The muscle atrophy arises from both a loss in the number of fibers and atrophy of remaining fibers. The cause of the muscle weakness with aging is unresolved, but the power loss results from motor unit remodeling causing a substantial decrease in the fast-slow fiber ratio. The ability to sustain power, which is already decreased to 50% of the adult value by middle age, decreases even further in older animals."

guess you can do your own math. i know you're 21 but try to avoid that "normal" category above
    Last edited by forklift; 11-21-2003 at 01:38 AM.

nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think a week-2 weeks off every 2 months is vital for progress. else your body just adapts to the stress and does not respond (although this is a highly individual opinion). It might be hard to take time off but it is soooo worth it. Better gains and better motivation.
    Nick

xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you would lose significant amount of muscle after 6 weeks of not training
    always go heavy no matter what

nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nickk23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but when do you think the decline would begin 3 weeks? 4 weeks? 1 week?
    Nick

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by xenonguy
    you would lose significant amount of muscle after 6 weeks of not training
    i would think with proper nutrition one could retain a good portion of the lean mass but would lose a good deal of strength.

But studies or an article would be a nice read if anybody has one.

xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenonguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you could lose strength as less as 1 week but this lose is temporary,you can gain your strength again in 1-2 weeks,,,,but not training more than 1 month induces muscle loss,it is muscle atrophy because of less stimulus to the muscles
    always go heavy no matter what

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by xenonguy
    you could lose strength as less as 1 week but this lose is temporary,you can gain your strength again in 1-2 weeks,,,,but not training more than 1 month induces muscle loss,it is muscle atrophy because of less stimulus to the muscles
    thanks for the info, makes perfect sense.

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you stop training, you loose volume, but not necessarily a lot of muscle. A part of the difference is do to less water and glycogen in the muscle, because of reduced caloric intake.

If you take enough protein during these 2 weeks, you should should be able to decrease real muscle loss. After that nevertheless muscle loss will accelerate.

As for strength loss, it depends on how overtrained your CNS was when you stopped. If it was overtrained, it's going to recover completly, and you may come back stronger. If it was not overtrained, you may loose a bit of strength, but really not that much after 2 weeks.

palisicky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) palisicky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) palisicky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by NotOnSteroids View Post
    How long can you take off from working out before you actually start to lose muscle? And in a similar question, how long before you lose strength? I am talking about an actual break, as in no cardio, no weights, regular eating.
    you will lose alot of size because when you workout your muscle gets filled whit blood daily and are inflamed so you look bigger but after 7 days of doing nothing you will look very smaller because no more increased blood flow no more inflamation because you high reps is just sarcoplasmic hypertrophy that liquide is going away fast so in terms some you and me too wasnt buuilding real muscle just increasing water in muscle and sarcoplasma and glycogen in muscle when you stop after 2 months you look like you did before you went to the gym

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NotOnSteroids View Post

Typically if you stim a muscle once a week you will maintain your strength, maybe if you are doing everything right you can even get stronger....but if you start to go beyond

that much rest (120-144 hours ish)

....you will begin to lose strength typically. I believe when I was in college the "number" was 120 hours before the benefits of your last workout began to change toward the other direction.... but I thought that was since debunked...

certainly within two weeks - with inactivity- you will begin to decondition quickly.....

fortunately, "muscle memory" really is amazing and you can often regain strength and size pretty quickly. 2-3 months after a 2-3 month layoff....you should be around where you were. often folks who get injured and have to be out of the gym for 6-8 weeks, recovery fairly quickly.

As a personal note...Right now I bench about 400. After football season ended last Thanksgiving, I don't think I could have done 300. I was seriously feeling like 225 was "heavy" for 4-5 reps.... I really didn't train very often or eat right or sleep well during the season.....compare that to now, repping 330x6......lost a lot of strength during the last season. Lesson learned. That's not happening this year.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!