Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Advice for competing in men's physique

I am planning to compete down the road, probably in a year's time in men's physique.

I have absolutely zero experience in this and watching videos/pics, competitors's physiques are all over the place in this category. Anyone with experience care to take a look at where I'm at now and answer the following questions?

1. I'm 50 now, weigh 162lbs at 5ft 11". In a year, what would you guess my contest weight should be?

2. Not sure what my BF% is now but assume it should drop a tad more. Maybe 3, 4, 5%? or more/less?

3. Considering legs aren't top priority in this category (but yes I do train them) and you can't see them from my pics, what part of my upper body looks to be lagging? Or should I try for same proportions, just bigger?

I realize this can only be guesswork or a rough suggestion since no one knows me or has seen my in person. I thank you in advance for your responses. ;-)
    Attached Images
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by akaMarko View Post
    I am planning to compete down the road, probably in a year's time in men's physique.

I have absolutely zero experience in this and watching videos/pics, competitors's physiques are all over the place in this category. Anyone with experience care to take a look at where I'm at now and answer the following questions?

1. I'm 50 now, weigh 162lbs at 5ft 11". In a year, what would you guess my contest weight should be?

2. Not sure what my BF% is now but assume it should drop a tad more. Maybe 3, 4, 5%? or more/less?

3. Considering legs aren't top priority in this category (but yes I do train them) and you can't see them from my pics, what part of my upper body looks to be lagging? Or should I try for same proportions, just bigger?

I realize this can only be guesswork or a rough suggestion since no one knows me or has seen my in person. I thank you in advance for your responses. ;-)
    I would probably try to end up with a little less overall bf then you are now but I wouldn't try to get there yet. I would consider a few bulks and cuts to try and get a little more muscle and then end with a cut that would put you a little below your bf now. If you could add a few lbs of lean muscle I bet you will look good but you already do. Nice work
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree. I'll be starting a bulk in a couple of months. Really enjoying the leanness right now. I think proportionally I'm there but just need more size and then comp time, deeper cuts.

Still, so hard to tell where most competitors are at without seeing them in person. Some vids/pics they look like they should be competing in bodybuilding while others look like the average guy who just went on a diet.

I'll be attending a bodybuilding show in June so i'll be doing some scrutinizing. 😉

Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    I would probably try to end up with a little less overall bf then you are now but I wouldn't try to get there yet. I would consider a few bulks and cuts to try and get a little more muscle and then end with a cut that would put you a little below your bf now. If you could add a few lbs of lean muscle I bet you will look good but you already do. Nice work

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Honestly, at the risk of sounding like a dick...

IMHO, from the pics provided, you look too small. Once you cut down to an appropriate BF level, you would be absolutely anorexic.

Also, we really need more pics (including calves). You might like the look of those angled shots, but onstage you are being scrutinized 360 degrees. If from the front you don’t have the broad shoulders, narrow waist and proportionate calves, physique might not be your thing.

Also, lots of people think Men’s Physique is “bodybuilding lite”...it’s not. The criteria for Men’s Physique has a lot in common with beauty pageants and modeling. It’s a lot about that kind of stage presence and look (good looks as well).

...and no insult, but ive never seen a bald headed winner. I’m sure there are a few out there, but I’m guessing they have the full package in every other regard, and have the looks to pull it off.

I don’t know about you, but if I was going to enter a contest to WIN, I wouldn’t randomly choose something I “have absoluely zero experience in”. I would look at what it entails, what the local competition looks like, and really study the class and criteria.

MHO...not saying you shouldn’t do it, just the hard facts from a guy who only sits in the stands.

No, not being a dick. Solid advice about size.

But 2 comments about looks. Dude, harsh! lol

My plan is for a possible comp in the future. How far, not sure..at least a year or more or maybe never.

Either way, I believe I've made great progress in the last year and a half. See pic. And I'm only 50. Plenty of time to improve.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Honestly, at the risk of sounding like a dick...

...about that kind of stage presence and look (good looks as well).

....and have the looks to pull it off.
    Attached Images

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You might want to contact OV35 user smokinal to get his feedback. He's competing in a couple of physique comps over the next couple of months and may be able to give you feedback based on what he has seen.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

My plan is for a possible comp in the future. How far, not sure..at least a year or more or maybe never.

Either way, I believe I've made great progress in the last year and a half. See pic. And I'm only 50. Plenty of time to improve.
    You have made awesome progress...and I didn’t call you fugly just pointing out the difference between bodybuilding and physique. Please don’t take it personal.

I Don’t feel I have what it takes either, from a judging point of view. There is always going to be someone with a better V, better looking, taller, and with a full head of hair. Just the facts...I wouldn’t enter just for the experience, it would be for the win, and from what I’ve seen of my local competition, it’s not in the cards.

Hey, no worries. I know I'm no Brad Pitt or Ernest Borgnine but...

I'll be attending a show in the near future and will be able to stand side by side with the competitors on the floor so will get a better idea.
    ...and I didn’t call you fugly

Originally Posted by ectoBgone View Post
    You might want to contact OV35 user smokinal to get his feedback. He's competing in a couple of physique comps over the next couple of months and may be able to give you feedback based on what he has seen.
    Sure thing, thanks for the tip source.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Also, lots of people think Men’s Physique is “bodybuilding lite”...it’s not. The criteria for Men’s Physique has a lot in common with beauty pageants and modeling. It’s a lot about that kind of stage presence and looks (good looks as well).

Spot on. If you fancy yourself as a the 'male model' type, then this is the route for you. Yes, they even judge your "poise" and "stage presence" along with "grooming" as one of the legitimate judging criteria.

Congrats on the transformation. I am not sure what your end goal is. If you train to compete, then why wait, start now.

If you are training to improve your physique, then look at it this way, you are only 1 1/2 years into to this, much of that being spent in a weight loss phase. So you are talking about competing in a year or so? So that would be just over 2 years of training, much of it spent in deficits (your first weight loss and then contest prep). You are still a newb and I can tell you without a doubt that training to lose weight will hold you back from making significant progress. IF....muscular development is a goal, why not train for a while and see what you can do.

Reverse diet rather than diet! Put as much effort as you would "prepping' into a very controlled surplus diet. Turn the time you would have spent making no progress (just losing body fat) and make food and training work for you!

You need at least 3 years of training to see approx 90% of your potential. Trying to "compete" too early will have you looking like a POW on stage.

I guess it is all your goals. But if you see yourself as the model type and get your grooming and "stage presence" down, then just start competing now. Otherwise, put a few good years in the gym and enjoy the fruits of your labor rather than a trophy that pretty much anyone your age will get just for showing up. Which would you be more proud of?
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, solid advice. I love training so that'll never stop as long as I can without injury. I only leaned out this much to see my base and also now that summer is coming but I have a good handle on nutrition now and a plan in the works for bulking without too much fat gain along the way. At the very least, i love the fit lifestyle and competing is more of a dream than a must-do.

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Spot on. If you fancy yourself as a the 'male model' type, then this is the route for you. Yes, they even judge your "poise" and "stage presence" along with "grooming" as one of the legitimate judging criteria.

Congrats on the transformation. I am not sure what your end goal is. If you train to compete, then why wait, start now.

If you are training to improve your physique, then look at it this way, you are only 1 1/2 years into to this, much of that being spent in a weight loss phase. So you are talking about competing in a year or so? So that would be just over 2 years of training, much of it spent in deficits (your first weight loss and then contest prep). You are still a newb and I can tell you without a doubt that training to lose weight will hold you back from making significant progress. IF....muscular development is a goal, why not train for a while and see what you can do.

Reverse diet rather than diet! Put as much effort as you would "prepping' into a very controlled surplus diet. Turn the time you would have spent making no progress (just losing body fat) and make food and training work for you!

You need at least 3 years of training to see approx 90% of your potential. Trying to "compete" too early will have you looking like a POW on stage.

I guess it is all your goals. But if you see yourself as the model type and get your grooming and "stage presence" down, then just start competing now. Otherwise, put a few good years in the gym and enjoy the fruits of your labor rather than a trophy that pretty much anyone your age will get just for showing up. Which would you be more proud of?

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Go for it and have fun. I agree massively about size. I'm leaner and 30lbs heavier at almost the same height and I'm way too small. Today's physique winners are all frank Zane quality and on the same juice.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've sat in the stands at several competitions, and if you were 30 I'd say you have no chance, but the over 45 guys that I saw in some of the local shows I attended weren't all that impressive (not to mention the category only had a few guys competing). That being said, you're still too light. At 5'11" at "competition level leanness" I would say that you probably want to be in the 170-ish range for stage weight at sub 10% BF. That means you would probably need to put a good 15+lbs of muscle on you, which at your age means building for a few more years (if you even are able to get there at all), which means probably at least 3 more year long bulk/cut cycles.

Also, pretty sure that a few of the over 45 guys that placed were bald, so hair obviously not a factor. After all, pretty sure we're talking about local/state shows and not national level competition.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 03-20-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go for it! If that's what you want to do why not. It would be a good experience, you have to start somewhere and I wouldn't be worried about placement for your first show. And I totally disagree about it being a fashion show, hair or bald, that doesn't matter, that just someone expressing their own insecurities.

Put on more muscle, be constant with your workouts. The secret to bodybuilding is there is no secret

I know someone who was away from lifting for 5 years and followed a 6 week program and placed 6th place in physique, not bad for 6 weeks of training. With physique at least you don't have to train legs (joke, but kind of true)
    Last edited by adamgentile; 03-21-2019 at 06:51 AM.

I don’t get it...since when is telling someone to “just go for it”, when they are woefully unprepared good advice?

Every champion (or potential champion) goes into any competition thinking they are going to win...and has trained for the win.

Why go into something half assed and unprepared to present the best you possible?

I didn’t say OP would be a failure, I was giving him some constructive advice on how to succeed.

I’m all for nurturing children, but OP is a grown man and should be armed with facts, not pats on the back. He’s already proven he can transform his physique...so I see no reason why he can’t put his balls to the wall to properly prepare to succeed at this. I think he can handle the truth.

Originally Posted by adamgentile View Post
    hair or bald, that doesn't matter
    You haven’t been following physique long, have you. Not saying a bald guy can’t win...but a guy with a weaker physique and petter poise, looks, and/or hair will will win over a bald guy, if all he brings is a better build...it’s part of the game.

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by adamgentile View Post
    Go for it! If that's what you want to do why not. .... And I totally disagree about it being a fashion show, hair or bald, that doesn't matter, that just someone expressing their own insecurities.
    Really? I think it is more good advice from a guy who has MANY MANY more years training than you. Just an excerpt from one feds "Physique" judging criteria. Sounds like a "fashion show" to me. YES, they even mention personal grooming as part of judging criteria.[/quote]

I don’t get it...since when is telling someone to “just go for it”,.
    Exactly! In today's 'everyone gets a ribbon' mentality, that is what we have come to. Unfortunately, there is nothing stopping people from doing this. (there should be in my opinion). But we have all see a stage full of guys who you can tell have put years of work into this, and the one guy who has been training a year and wants to show off his 'weight loss'. It is disrespectful to the other guys on that stage who have put years into getting there. It would be like me showing up to play in a high-level basketball one on one tournament and entering just because I play horse sometimes with my kids. I would get spanked obviously. And the guy that had to play me probably would not be happy that a 'hack' like me was even out there. Sure he got an easy win, but it takes away and becomes a distraction to the 'real' athletes who have come with years of work behind them.
    RAW lifts

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You seem thin to me but I don’t know anything about men’s physique and haven’t been to a show in many years.

If I was interested in competing I would share pics of actual poses from each direction including legs instead of the pics taken at an angle. Actually, that is how I shared my “end of cut” pics and I have no intention of actually competing. That way you could get some feedback on areas that need work and a better evaluation of how ready you are.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just an excerpt from one feds "Physique" judging criteria. Sounds like a "fashion show" to me. YES, they even mention personal grooming
    I went to a few bodybuilding shows when I was in high school including the Arnold Classic but that was 33 years ago. I can’t believe how many classes there are now and I am shocked that men’s physique REQUIRES long shorts that cover the thighs when the whole idea is to show off your build. Also can’t believe they mention looks, stage presence, and grooming as part of the criteria. Definitely not a class for me!
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

P. S. Just to clarify...I love the builds of most the physique guys, I’ve always loved that look even before (see below) there was a physique class. I also know most of those guys have nice quad size and work extremely hard...when we talk about “beauty pageants” and such, we aren’t insulting the competitors, just pointing out that the shows and judging criteria aren’t the same as bodybuilding...even though a lot of these guys could compete with success on the bodybuilding stage.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the 50+ division you should be ok.
    Check out other contest photos of that division and see where you stand.
    Gaining pure muscle is never a bad thing but remember a natural competitor is going to gain less muscle over a period of time than other competitors.
    A real good gain might be five pounds of pure muscle non just bodyweight.
    Do as much research as possible,ask other competitors what their opinions are and form your own path forward.
    A diet and training journal are a must IMO when training to be a competitor.
    I would say just pick a date and do a show for experience.
    You might surprise yourself.
    Then use what you learned for your next show.
    I was crushed in my first couple show no placing at all.
    I eventually got to where i placed in the top three at just about any show,won several weight classes and a few overalls but it took time and patients.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    I went to a few bodybuilding shows when I was in high school including the Arnold Classic but that was 33 years ago. I can’t believe how many classes there are now and I am shocked that men’s physique REQUIRES long shorts that cover the thighs when the whole idea is to show off your build. Also can’t believe they mention looks, stage presence, and grooming as part of the criteria. Definitely not a class for me!
    That's some cool memories.

I remember when bodybuilding shows were on regular tv back in the early 80's. I used to watch the shows with my Dad, I was about 10 or so at the time. I'm with you on the classes, way too many now. I personally can stand that board short look.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don’t get it...since when is telling someone to “just go for it”, when they are woefully unprepared good advice?
    It's good advice when it's being given by those with very little training and zero competition experience. Of course, it's easy right? Just show up and do your best!! A good way to shti on the sport and the people who spend YEARS to get to the point of stepping on stage.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I would suggest a few more year of adding some size to be able to lean down to single digits and still look good.

I would like to compete in a men's physique, over 45 and I don't feel big enough yet.

**PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post
    I would suggest a few more year of adding some size to be able to lean down to single digits and still look good.

I would like to compete in a men's physique, over 45 and I don't feel big enough yet.
    I just looked up some photos of the last show I attended in WA (NPC Ironman). From what I could see of the pics it looks like only 2 guys competed in the over 45 physique, and neither of them had a clean visible 6-pack and much MUCH less muscle than you. Obviously they both placed though. h

You are the more the size of the over 45 bodybuilders from the show I attended.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    I just looked up some photos of the last show I attended in WA (NPC Ironman). From what I could see of the pics it looks like only 2 guys competed in the over 45 physique, and neither of them had a clean visible 6-pack and much MUCH less muscle than you. Obviously they both placed though. h

Nothing like shooting for the path of least resistance. Hell......an even better approach might be to not train at all, and look around for small shows where no entires are on the masters class. Then you can brag about all your first place finishes.

@xsquid.....Are you really serious? Do you not have any self-respect? The people who really do this, often invest years of their lives before they would consider competing. And when they do, they accept NOTHING less than their personal best regardless of the other morons who may show up just because they think they might win a trophy.
    RAW lifts

Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post

Looking good man. I remember seeing some pics years back. You have always had a SUPER impressive physique, but I thought I remember a lack of back thickness and densitiy relative to the rest of your physique. (no hate, just what I remember standing out). You look like you have put on some definite improvements in 'density'. How do you feel you are at these days? (cant tell overall thickness from that shot).

I think you would wipe the floor in physique. Classic might be a good place for you as well.

Great build!
    RAW lifts

Nothing like shooting for the path of least resistance. Hell......an even better approach might be to not train at all, and look around for small shows where no entires are on the masters class. Then you can brag about all your first place finishes.

@xsquid.....Are you really serious? Do you not have any self-respect? The people who really do this, often invest years of their lives before they would consider competing. And when they do, they accept NOTHING less than their personal best regardless of the other morons who may show up just because they think they might win a trophy.
    I think you misunderstood the point of my post. And don't question my self respect, I have plenty of it, I'm not competing in any shows or advising someone to compete just because they might get a trophy due to low participation in the category. What I am saying is that from what I've seen in person, some people in this thread are strongly overestimating the competition in the 45 and up crowd.

How many 45+ year old guys go to the gym on a regular basis in the US these days and lift with the dedication and regularity that would be required for competition physique, much less feel like leaning down enough to step on a stage? There were literally only about 6-8 guys in that age group in my entire gym (at most), and the majority of those guys were just half-a$$ing it at best doing some curls and mostly cardio stuff. I would say only 1 of them had the physique required to compete, and he had zero interest in competing at his age (though he did in his younger days).

If OP wants to compete (and look the part), then yeah he's probably a few years away, but its not out of the realm of possibility. And when someone says "go for it" I don't think they're advising that person to compete next weekend, but rather encouraging them to work towards their goal and when they're ready then go ahead and see what they can do.

I attached the photo of the 1st & 2nd place OVER 40 physique finishers at the last show I attended, which was a pretty decent sized show with probably a couple hundred entrants across all the classes.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by xsquid99; 03-22-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Cheers, thanks for sharing your insight, having been to some comps.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    I've sat in the stands at several competitions, and if you were 30 I'd say you have no chance, but the over 45 guys that I saw in some of the local shows I attended weren't all that impressive (not to mention the category only had a few guys competing). That being said, you're still too light. At 5'11" at "competition level leanness" I would say that you probably want to be in the 170-ish range for stage weight at sub 10% BF. That means you would probably need to put a good 15+lbs of muscle on you, which at your age means building for a few more years (if you even are able to get there at all), which means probably at least 3 more year long bulk/cut cycles.

Also, pretty sure that a few of the over 45 guys that placed were bald, so hair obviously not a factor. After all, pretty sure we're talking about local/state shows and not national level competition.

Cool, I'm still working on building a solid foundation and have a solid nutrition plan in place for going forward. Some replies here have been more challenging then others but I love being challenged and encouraged. Fuel to the fire.
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    In the 50+ division you should be ok.
    Check out other contest photos of that division and see where you stand.
    Gaining pure muscle is never a bad thing but remember a natural competitor is going to gain less muscle over a period of time than other competitors.
    A real good gain might be five pounds of pure muscle non just bodyweight.
    Do as much research as possible,ask other competitors what their opinions are and form your own path forward.
    A diet and training journal are a must IMO when training to be a competitor.
    I would say just pick a date and do a show for experience.
    You might surprise yourself.
    Then use what you learned for your next show.
    I was crushed in my first couple show no placing at all.
    I eventually got to where i placed in the top three at just about any show,won several weight classes and a few overalls but it took time and patients.