Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Conditioning/Post-Trainer Workout Programs

This is an odd question but one which i've been wanting to ask. I'm hoping that I do so in an articulate manner.

I've lifted weights, including the StrongLifts program, on and off for a few years. Something was missing. Years ago I ran distance and I really enjoy cardio and running. In short, I really like to MOOOOVE. I had a desire to be more athletic, but simply stating it that way confused the living hell out of everybody. So two months ago I found an independent trainer at the gym, he's a former Division I athlete whom was headed to the pros until he blew his knee. I really like his training program - lots of high-intensity and conditioning with very short rests, overall fitness and agility training. I've been losing body fat and my VO2 max has increased. There's no doubt my overall fitness has improved. Honestly, I feel as though I train like an athlete and I love the intensity. I'm contracted with my trainer until November.

The question I have is...what do I do after my training period with him is up? I mean, I can keep training with him, but it's over $500/month and i'm not sure for how long I can keep spending that kind of cash. I simply don't want to fall back into the same boring weight-lifting routine. I can find a ton of lifting programs which I can follow on my own - I thought StrongLifts was great for that, but I can't really find so much in the way of conditioning or agility programs which I can do on my own. I've been searching around and i'm sort of at a loss here.

So...does anyone have any recommendations on a high-intensity conditioning or even a circuit program which I can do on my own?

Ugh, hopefully this all makes sense. I haven't checked-out Crossfit, wondering if that might be a good option?

Help!
    Last edited by Polymorphist; 09-26-2017 at 02:44 AM.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My advice would be to pay attention to what you are currently doing (don't just mindlessly do what you are told). Be aware or how your trainer is advancing and tracking your training and progress. Then continue in the same manner.

Once you identify the approach you are taking, look around online until you find similar ideas and procedures.

A trainer and structured program (designed by someone more educated than yourself) are good for beginners, but eventually you need to become self aware of how your body works, responds, and progresses.

Good luck.
    Last edited by grubman; 09-26-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your question makes perfect sense.

I do the Wendler 531 system, BBB template for my strength needs.

After the prescribed 531 workout I do a short 10-20 minute conditioning workout, I keep it simple; c2-erg rowing intervals, skipping rope, simple barbell (low weight) complexes, farmers carries, hill sprints. You could also do prowler/sled pushes. You can make all of the above as hard as you want it to be.

Crossfit can be a good program for many, especially if you don't have any specific goals (ie: bodybuilding, power-lifting etc) , if you join a "box" you are basically doing what I mentioned above. Most of the boxes will have a strength component, followed by a METCON, which is the conditioning part. I learned the basics of what I do now in crossfit for nearly a year before deciding to do things on my own.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i switched over to crossfit some time ago. it sounds right up your alley. most folks view crossfit as meaning metcons, but that is far too narrow a view.

fwiw, i am in the best shape of my life, and i've been doing this for quite awhile now. i do employ dedicated strength programming, which classical crossfit rejects (constantly varied, etc.).

i am not as strong as i was 10 years ago, but that probably is due to advancement of age, and i don't prioritize it as much as i used to. but bodybuilding-wise i am far better developed. my balance, agility, and conditioning have all drastically improved.

i did a back flip on a trampoline the other day, and can walk on my hands. i can clean and jerk 225, deadlift 400, squat 315 for reps, and run a 65 second quarter mile. at age 56.

crossfit is legit, people.

Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Polymorphist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks all, for the replies. There is a crossfit gym near me and I stopped in and talked with them today. They told me today that if I like training like an athlete then I might like it. I'll get a week free so i'll try it in November.