schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

U/L split better than GBR?

Hey,

I've been running Lyle's program for a few years now. IIRC started with it mid 2013. Had a few breaks due to illness/injury but otherwise have kept running that program year round.

Finished my last round late April and was very pleased with strength gains made until now. A bit disappointed with hypertrophy but such is natty life as a mid 30s female?

Anyhow, while I love Lyle's program, my own self doubt has me wondering if maybe I would have seen more hypertrophy on a different program, so I'm casually checking to see if there's an alternate that's worthwhile for my context:

-going to head into my 4th bulk soon (usually bulk for around 9 months)
    -can lift 4 days a week
    -main GOAL right now is hypertrophy, specifically would like to bring up back width, and quad size. I always welcome delt and bicep gainz lol.
    -traps are pretty much nil now so would like to develop those...I had traps when I used to DL but injury changed that
    -due to labral injury, cannot squat or CDL (stuck with leg press or split squat as quad heavy movement, can still RDL/SLDL, can still hip thrust)

I'd be happy enough to keep running GBR as I haven't stalled on it yet. But I'm thinking 'what if' another program might be even better (I know, that's hard to judge).

A few threads and Googlign have put the PHUL bug in my ear. Based on the info provided above, can anybody opine on whether switching from GBR to PHUL would be beneficial (with some mods to accom. injury)? Or 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?.

If I should just stick to GBR, any input for mods to help bring up weak spots mentioned above?

Thanks

Registered User UltraLightBeamz's Avatar
    UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000) UltraLightBeamz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been running a PHUL-style program for a few months and can't see myself switching to something else for a while. I like that every day is different and challenging in its own way - feels awesome to bust PRs on the power days and then get dat dere pump on the higher-rep days.

If you fancy a change I'd definitely recommend it. Bare in mind that PHUL isn't really a set program and you can modify the exercises/reps as you prefer. So it would be totally possible to do it while working around your injuries.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UltraLightBeamz View Post
    I've been running a PHUL-style program for a few months and can't see myself switching to something else for a while. I like that every day is different and challenging in its own way - feels awesome to bust PRs on the power days and then get dat dere pump on the higher-rep days.

If you fancy a change I'd definitely recommend it. [b] Bare in mind that PHUL isn't really a set program and you can modify the exercises/reps as you prefer.[\b] So it would be totally possible to do it while working around your injuries.
    I should've mentioned that and thanks for brining it up... I would prefer a program that's written more as a template where different exercises could be used. Like, vertical pull could be lat pulldown or weighted chins...quad heavy could be squat orrrrrr leg press would work too

I *think* that for my context the two programs would probably yield the same result, but figured I'd ask anyway. I guess an obvious answer would be 'well, why don't you just try it and see?' But, hey, a little overanalyzing never hurt anyone, right?

Not to complicate matters, but Fierce 5 Intermediate U/L could work too. If anything, looks maybe a bit short on volume for me?