GorillaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I think I'm done bulking (for now) and ready to cut. Thoughts??

I'll try to keep this short. I'm 5'11" and have weighed 195-200 lbs for the past 5 years or so, but in April I had gotten down to 172 lbs. I didn't have much muscle, so I decided to start lifting for the first time in my life. I fluctuated my calories and macros a lot over the past 7 months, but I'm currently at 3900 Cals/day (I was at 3400 then 3700 for most of the time). Now I am at 196 lbs and looking at pictures of myself and in the mirror, I feel like I've definitely gained muscle, but also a lot of fat. Now I think it's time to cut the fat down (then run another bulk), but wanted to hear opinions from you folks first. Attached are my before and after pics, 4 different 'poses'. One of my biggest goals during the bulk was to get some pecs... didn't work out. My chest lifts have been increasing, but doesn't look like I'm gaining much mass in my chest at all. So what do you guys think... cutting time?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by GorillaX; 12-01-2013 at 01:59 AM.

101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50) 101PeteN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you dont need to gain fat to bulk. jesus why does everyone think this

DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cut down, and next time you bulk do it cleaner and slooowwwweerrr. Your pecs are obviously bigger but you wont see them with fat covering them.

When you cut do it slowly; preserve muscle
    When you bulk do it slowly; prevent excess fat gain
    Get over yourself.
    Rep aint gains.

live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i only see fat gain not hating bro

Registered User Aspiringathlete's Avatar
    Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Aspiringathlete is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What was your routine like? How much did your lifts increase? I notice an increase in your arms for sure. But its tough as i am in the same boat (skinnyfat who bulked and cant really SEE results)

kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 101PeteN View Post
    100% agree! just lift heavy and eat sensibly..no need to get fat..
    KEN LECLAIR

Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thepayne369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 101PeteN View Post
    Not the way you have worded it, no you don't need to gain fat to bulk but if you bulk and build muscle some fat gain even it it's very small is unavoidable. Some people are lucky, like me I don't go above 12% bf on a bulk

fenomenoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Time to cuttt some nooby gains though good job

taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorbakerjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GorillaX View Post
    I'll try to keep this short. I'm 5'11" and have weighed 195-200 lbs for the past 5 years or so, but in April I had gotten down to 172 lbs. I didn't have much muscle, so I decided to start lifting for the first time in my life. I fluctuated my calories and macros a lot over the past 7 months, but I'm currently at 3900 Cals/day (I was at 3400 then 3700 for most of the time). Now I am at 196 lbs and looking at pictures of myself and in the mirror, I feel like I've definitely gained muscle, but also a lot of fat. Now I think it's time to cut the fat down (then run another bulk), but wanted to hear opinions from you folks first. Attached are my before and after pics, 4 different 'poses'. One of my biggest goals during the bulk was to get some pecs... didn't work out. My chest lifts have been increasing, but doesn't look like I'm gaining much mass in my chest at all. So what do you guys think... cutting time?
    Good job on sticking with it, not much arm improvement but definitely bigger chest. Need to bulk slower to minimize fat gains next time. Shredd down and if you bulk slowly at a small calorie surplus and you'll make the right gains. When they say you gain fat inevitably when you bulk it doesn't mean you actually raise your body fat percentage. If your 15 % bodyfat and bulk till you gain 15 lbs the right way and only gained 2 lbs of fat then less than 15 percent of your gains were from fat. This means even tho you gained weight your body fat percentage went down. Also need to research some bicep, tricep exercises not much growth there in you bulk. Good job tho, just trying to help you not make as many mistakes as a lot of us make in the beginning. Keep it up bro.
    Bench: 255. Squat: 415. Dead lift: 365. .Rep me and I will rep back. A champion is not defined by how hard he can hit, but by how hard he can be hit and keep moving forward:~ Rocky

live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) live1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your backs looking bigger in the before pic.

Originally Posted by taylorbakerjr View Post
    Good job on sticking with it, not much arm improvement but definitely bigger chest. Need to bulk slower to minimize fat gains next time. Shredd down and if you bulk slowly at a small calorie surplus and you'll make the right gains. When they say you gain fat inevitably when you bulk it doesn't mean you actually raise your body fat percentage. If your 15 % bodyfat and bulk till you gain 15 lbs the right way and only gained 2 lbs of fat then less than 15 percent of your gains were from fat. This means even tho you gained weight your body fat percentage went down. Also need to research some bicep, tricep exercises not much growth there in you bulk. Good job tho, just trying to help you not make as many mistakes as a lot of us make in the beginning. Keep it up bro.
    Thanks man, appreciate the wise words.

Originally Posted by DizzyPhyziks View Post
    Cut down, and next time you bulk do it cleaner and slooowwwweerrr. Your pecs are obviously bigger but you wont see them with fat covering them.

When you cut do it slowly; preserve muscle
    When you bulk do it slowly; prevent excess fat gain
    Well I posted on here during my progress and the consensus advice was "EAT MORE!!"... so I ate more. Then I just gained a bunch of fat. Oh well, I'll cut it down and try again, thanks.

matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matt233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you cut down you'll more than likely lose whatever muscle you just gained unless done perfectly. I would just keep lifting hard and do a slow clean bulk to minimize bf gain and put on some more muscle before you do a serious cut.

sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sparkart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Check your form on the bench press. I had terrible form for the longest time.
    My Routine: Lift, Eat, Sh*t, Sleep

Originally Posted by sparkart View Post
    Check your form on the bench press. I had terrible form for the longest time.
    What specifically were you doing wrong? I did hurt my shoulder in June and take about a month off of benching, so that also hurt my gains. I think I got my form down perfectly since then though because I wanted to be careful not to aggravate my shoulder.

JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10) JACKSonvIllEr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if your bodyfat percentages are correct you have gained about 14 pounds of lean mass. i honestly dont see it who knows tho maybe ur legs are shredded for no reason
    Height=5'11"
    Weight=191
    Bench= 315
    squat=420

Bicep=16 inches
    Chest=43.5 inches
    legs 25
    calves 15

i rep back

Originally Posted by matt233 View Post
    If you cut down you'll more than likely lose whatever muscle you just gained unless done perfectly. I would just keep lifting hard and do a slow clean bulk to minimize bf gain and put on some more muscle before you do a serious cut.
    If I thought I was capable of bulking slowly and gaining mostly muscle, I would go for it. If I were going to give it a shot, how many Cals would you recommend? I think I remember calculating maintenance at 2800 at the weight I'm at now.

Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Call It Karma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GorillaX View Post
    If I thought I was capable of bulking slowly and gaining mostly muscle, I would go for it. If I were going to give it a shot, how many Cals would you recommend? I think I remember calculating maintenance at 2800 at the weight I'm at now.
    I would start at around 200-300 cals above maintenance and see how your body reacts. You can incrementally adjust it as you see how it effects your body composition.

ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000) ACSZZ1988 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not much progress just being honest bro. Next time bulk slower and lift harder. You have a LONG way to go but you'll make it if you get your diet down and put in the work

dcharron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pretty much whhat everyone is saying, but dont give up! just slow down on bluking

Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dooxy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some teens that is skinny get away with whatever when it comes to food.
    And I think you should as well, but I have this idea that your diet is of balance and maybe your getting all your calories is from fat?
    You need carbs, protein to build muscle and fat to keep hormones in check.

Lets say you are going wild and crazy on 200g fat a day that’s 1800 calories eating 400 carbs is 1600 cals.
    I would pick carbs over fat any day! Since its my building block.

My point here is that try figure out the right macros for you! maybe 0.4g fat per lbs is wrong for you maybe you need 0.35g as I do myself.
    And use more of the access for carbs. And then eat at TDEE/maintenance maybe slightly above. Or make it simple one ‘’cheat meal’’ a week on TDEE!
    Some people are not a fan o cheat meal but I think it puts of a lot of stress of always having to fit **** in to your macro, and it kind of turns in to a controlled slow bulk and it acts like a reward.
    I would have that meal on my leg day.

Also how is your program like? Maybe your following some **** bro program or you’re like 90% of the guys at my gym! That always have to make up their own pore program acting like they are pros.
    There is a good reason why SL/SS 5x5 and barbell programs work! Stick to it and put on weight on that ****! Go HARDCORE every rep needs to be like your saving a child from a burning car!
    And if you start losing weight doing that eat more! And if you stall on weight good! You can’t magical put on 50lbs muscle anyways.

WALL OF TEXT SORRY!

nava89l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you mean by "bulk, slower" ?

puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250) puriku has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nava89l View Post
    What do you mean by "bulk, slower" ?
    Smaller calories surplus. Perhaps instead of cranking up the carbs increase protein intake, if your body doesn't respond well to carbs.
    ★ISSA Certified Personal Trainer★

Online Coaching ↓↓↓

▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
       www.RikuHakanen.com
    ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

Instagram: riku_hakanen