ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Complex training routine

Would this complex training routine help with meeting my goals? My goal is to be more explosive, more athletic, and maintain strength in my upper and lower body. Don't need to gain more weight. My sport is basketball. I can only workout twice a week so split is upper, lower

Weights are lifted heavy at 85-95% of 1RM.

Workout A:
    low bar Squat -4 x 3 paired with Box Jump -4 x 3
    Front squat - 3x5 paired with squat jumps 3x5
    Deadlift - 2 x 5 with Broad Jump - 2 x5 (Quick on the ground)

Workout B:
    Bench press - 3x5 paired with explosive push ups - 3x8
    Military press 3x5 paired with Medicine ball shoulder press 3x8
    Barbell row 3x5 pair with pull ups 3x5

Is this routine okay?

ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ajymerced has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bump and tell me if its okay

Anyone??

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see that you know what the term "complex training" refers to. Good job right there.

Now, let's see...

I've personally found that I do better on both back squats and front squats if I do front squats first and back squats after, so you might want to change that exercise order. Note also that you don't necessarily need a different exercise for the power sets after the max strength sets. You could do the exact same exercise, but at 30-50% with max velocity in the concentric.

I think with the overhead work, you'd be better with something like strict press/push press. And for the upper body stuff, 3x8 on the power sets is probably higher reps than desirable.

You might need some more upper back work, as you currently have twice as much upper body pushing as you do pulling.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would follow something like this year round plan.... http://www.gohuskies.com/strength/ca...Basketball.pdf
    You rock a piss, I'm gonna rock some Mitchell

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see that you know what the term "complex training" refers to. Good job right there.

Now, let's see...

I've personally found that I do better on both back squats and front squats if I do front squats first and back squats after, so you might want to change that exercise order. Note also that you don't necessarily need a different exercise for the power sets after the max strength sets. You could do the exact same exercise, but at 30-50% with max velocity in the concentric.

I think with the overhead work, you'd be better with something like strict press/push press. And for the upper body stuff, 3x8 on the power sets is probably higher reps than desirable.

You might need some more upper back work, as you currently have twice as much upper body pushing as you do pulling.
    Thanks for a response. What upper back excercise should I add ? Since 3x8 is a lot, would 3x5 be better

Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A good basic exercise to strengthen your upper back would be Inverted Rows simply with your bodyweight. Will add some nice volume to your routine, and you could balance these out further with some basic push-ups for scapular health.
    Founder of DPA Fitness & Author of The Weight Training Antidote.
    My Free E-book - The Weight Training Antidote: http://dpafitness.com/the-weight-training-antidote

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ajymerced View Post
    Thanks for a response. What upper back excercise should I add ? Since 3x8 is a lot, would 3x5 be better
    As Ajk_Lpool suggested, you could add in inverted rows. I'd be going for a second row variation of some variety, perhaps something wide grip like face pulls. Notably, this one doesn't have to be a power exercise so long as you're doing your power training with the other exercises.

I'd be sticking to 3-5x3-5, so yeah, 3x5 would be more fitting. It's been a few years since I had complex training in my program, but back then I ramped up in heavy triples, then did speed triples at a much lighter weight, often with the same exercises (where it was safe and appropriate to do so). An example session from back then was warm up then 3x70%, 3x80%, 3x90%, 3x50%, 3x30% for squat, bench press, and bench pull.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Appreciate all the tips guys! Although I would prefer doing a plyometric excercise for the power move rather than doing the same excercise at a lighter weight.